Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda B-Series Engine Problems

KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
If your B-truck engine won't git-r-done, ask about it here

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

Comments

• quesoqueso Posts: 1
    Please help. Have a 1992 Mazda b2200 pick up w auto trans, dash lights up buzzer is on but when i turn key nothing, but a clicking sound from shifting lever possibly. Any clues?
  • I have a 1986 mazda b2000 with a blown engine and a 1991 b2200 that is wrecked but with a good engine, will i be able to swap the 1991 engine into the 1986 truck?
  • You may have already found this out, but yes, that engine should swap should be straight forward.
    Pull one out, throw the other in.
  • Ok, I'm thinking about dieselizing my 1989 B2200 series truck.
    The engine I plan on using is an Isuzu 4LE1.
    The problem here is that this engine weighs about 500 lbs.
    I'm guessing the 2.2L gas engine that's in my truck weighs about 350 lbs.
    I also know that my front suspension is a torsion bar style and that its appearance is very similar to that used by Chrysler / Plymouth / Dodge products of the 1960's and 1970s.

I'm thinking my current front suspension may not be sprung enough to handle the extra weight under normal driving conditions (if at all) and I know that small block Chrysler V8's are about 500-550 lbs.

So can I easily retrofit the torsion bars off, say, a 70's Dodge Dart, onto my truck?

...oh, and before you start making references to the diesel engine that powered Mazda trucks in the 80's, be informed that that engine has been out of production for many years now and parts are next to impossible to find.
    In fact almost all the small diesel engines that were either popular in the 70's, or those that the factories used in the trucks in the 80's are no longer made and parts are becoming increasingly harder to find.
    The Isuzu engine I listed above is the only one I've found that would fit my needs.

Thanks for any help any of you can provide.
  • tray1tray1 Posts: 4
    Sometimes while I'm driving...My Mazda pickup door latches automatically lock and then my engine will shut down. I can always start it back up and again, it may shut down one or two more times or not at all. Why does this happen? :(
  • i just put 700 into it new head, gasket the works, now it wont idle and runns ruff as hell, didnt have this problem before is it possible that there is a vaccum leak on the carberator that im miss or that i cant see? had a friend that hes did the same thing and it was a vaccum line but doesnt remember where it was located!1990 mazda b2200
  • rioricoriorico Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Mazda B3000, ext cab, 120K miles, gutless in towing department. How can I improve the torque/hp, or what is required to drop a 4.0 Liter engine into truck? Please help
  • russ52russ52 Posts: 2
    F/C stands for Fuel Control
    I have a 2001 Mazda B 3000 P/U truck, I filled it up 2 day's ago. It's now at slightly below 3/4 of a tank, (By the way, what size is the "Tank", 19.5 ????)
    Today, 11 June 07 it started "Chugging Spitting Coughing every time the Engine gets up to & maybe slightly past "3000" RPM

Is it "Water" in the Gas, or a Fuel Control (F/C) problem ?
    Remember, every time it gets up to (or slightly past) 3000 RPM, it starts "Chugging Spitting & Coughing....

Please Help Me .....
  • russ52russ52 Posts: 2
    Please Stop Messages in replying to; 2001 Mazda B3000 Series P/U, F/C trouble. :shades:
  • buggrabuggra Posts: 1
    What a piece of s**t!! I bought this thing on 20 Jun and traded it for a GMC Canyon the NEXT day. I am kicking myself for not test driving but was relying on the advice of my used to be best friend. Talk about underpowered, I traded in a 2000 Ford Ranger 4cyl, 16valves and it was sick. I had no idiot light on the dash so I didn't want to take it to the dealer for a "trial and pay" experience. This sick Ranger had more power. The Mazda had 12 valves, the minimum it takes to make a 6 cyl motor. This Mazda truck was special ordered by a dealer in Danville, Va from a dealer in Virginia Beach. Reason, the Danville dealer had not one truck on the lot. Not having enough sense to grasp why (the sales manager later told me that the reason they had none was they were too hard to sell!) Rather that babble on I close with "do not buy this truck. :lemon: "
  • frabanfraban Posts: 3
    The engine in my truck automatically starts to race and then dies down to a standard idle. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?
  • We are also having the same problem with the same year make/model. We've had it fixed 3x and can't get it to stop revving. Truck has 51k on it. Sounds like the dumb thing is going to blow up. Suggestion was made that maybe it is a carbon buildup on the throttle body. Any other suggestions.. :confuse:
  • frabanfraban Posts: 3
    Found the problem. I purchased a Throttle Position Sensor located on the back side of the carberator. It cost me $36.99 at an automotive parts supply store. After replacing the old unit a friend used the truck for a week and logged nearly a thousand miles. No more problems!
  • While washing the passenger side wheel well found some florescent yellow fluid. Any idea where it could be coming from? No puddle found in driveway.
  • I have a 1987 Mazda B2000 pickup with a bad engine. A rebuilt 1990 Mazda 2.2 engine was advertised locally out of a Ford Probe. How difficult or is it even possible to put the Probe engine in my Mazda pickup. They are both manual transmissions.
  • I have the same problem with my pickup my 2001 Mazda B3000, and i can't figure out whats wrong. If you could tell me i would be greatful.
  • I need some assistance but first time here and not sure where to post. I recently purchased the 89 Mazda B-2200 and having some issues with it. Is seems to really idle roughly and acts as if it has a lot of trouble accelerating. It won't even go over 62 mph and takes forever for it to even reach that speed. I have replaced the distributor, rotor button, spark plugs and wires and hasn't helped. It also gets terrible gas mileage which isn't good since that is the whole reason that I purchased the vehicle to start with. It will hardly crank if it sits for a little while and when it cranks it tends to cut off frequently especially at red light..LOL! Any help of this situation would be greatly appreciated
  • I'm not a mechanic but my B2000 had similar symptoms to what your describing.What I eventually found was the key and keyway in the crankshaft that the lower timing belt sprocket is drive by were woren. This caused the timing of the engine to be offf. I'd start by checking the engine timing . If that's correct you can loosen the belts for the fan A.C. ,etc. and check to see if fan pulley can be turned back showing wear in this keyway area .