Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda B-Series Engine Problems

2»

Comments

• lion_of_judahlion_of_judah Member Posts: 2
    I have a 5 speed 1998 mazda b 2500 while driving few days ago my truck would not accelerate. I thought it was the fuel filter but it wasn’t. oh I notice that in the morning it was hard to start sometimes almost like it didn’t have gas and I had to pump the accelerator to keep it from turning off once i got it started then it would run fine. Now it will idol but as soon as I hit the gas it won’t accelerate. Can someone please help? :sick:
  • american92american92 Member Posts: 3
    Alright so today I had a guy coming to look at my 1990 Mazda B2200, it's an automatic. So anyway I started the truck and was letting her idle for a good 10-15 minutes just to warm up the engine. All the sudden she dies like as if someone had just switched off a key it's safe to say I didn't sell the truck and I'm stuck with a broken down truck in my garage. When I go to turn the key to start it it'll crank all day but she doesn't wanna catch and run, and the odd chance she catches she quickly dies. My uncle came by tonight and looked at it and says it might be the Ignition module, anyone with similar problems that can help?
  • whidbeyrepwhidbeyrep Member Posts: 6
    You could possibly have a clogged exhaust system. I.E catalytic converter. Disconnect your exhaust where it connects to your converter and try starting. You may have two converters on your truck, as Mazda had to correct for a problem of burning up converters so they put a pre-catalytic converter on some of their trucks. I had a similar problem many years ago and it was going to cost several hundred for a new converter. If this is the problem and you live where you have to have the truck pass a exhaust test then you will have no choice but to replace it, i didn't live where i had to have it inspected so i took the converter off and punched it out put it back on and problem solved. You might also check your fuel filter it should be a small plastic container near your carborator with a line going to your carborator. Let me know what you come up with.
    Thanks man, I'll check it out, sadly I do live in California so smog is a required thing and it barely passed like a month ago because of the hydrocarbons It scored 130 and would fail with 131 so I definitely need a new cat but I know a guy I can get a new one installed for 125 that's parts and labor.
  • whidbeyrepwhidbeyrep Member Posts: 6
    With what you said i would bet that this is your problem. Like i said it should be easy to check if you disconnect you exhaust prior to the cat converter. Regardless it sounds like you need to replace you converter and for that price sounds pretty good. I know I was quoted a couple hundred just for parts. Please let me know how things turn out. I have two Mazda trucks that I was going to swap engines because mine smoked so i had a newer truck given to me that has a 6 cy fuel injected, after getting both engines out i found that motor mounts dont line up :mad: . So I am considering parting them out rather than bothering with motor mount swaps, computer etc keep me posted on your progress.
    Well I got a guy to offer me 450 cash for the truck so I ended up selling it, time to find the Toyota truck forum lol
  • kew_buggkew_bugg Member Posts: 2
    i have a 91 mazda b 2600,,if outside temp is over 70 degrees it cranks perfect if it is lower its hard to crank
  • robert149robert149 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Mazda B-3000, 3.0 c.i.. I reset the check engine light and smogged the truck and it passed but,he failed me because the computer didnt tell him some thing. the MIL light came back on so I scanned it and the codes read, PO171 & PO174. Banks 1 & 2 system too lean. I changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter, checked vacume lines and still have that problem and the truck seems to run just fine.Could you give me any suggestions as to where I might look next? my emissions were fine and Im at a stand-still. I would appreaciate it very much.
  • the_beanthe_bean Member Posts: 14
    hey i'm leaning towards clogged fuel injectors. poor quality or old gas may have caused it. did it look like your filter was abnormally dirty? a possible short term fix... try using a full can of a product called "seafoam" you can find it at most auto stores for around $10. its garrenteed to do its job or your money back. it does wonders on fuel systems!
    hey what mazda trucks do you have? there are lots of other mazda and ford cars that have motors with the same mounts! i'd be happy to give you some info if you still have the trucks :)
    hey i know its been about a year but i found out my broblem :-) my intercooler lines had cracks. replaced and it was fine after. i'm sure that doesnt help your truck cause its carbed and not a turbo but i ALSO had the adjust the timing. it was retarded too far causing detonation under load.
  • 90m2600i90m2600i Member Posts: 1
    90 mazda b2600i 4x4....the front seal keeps blowing out on the crankshaft. We have bought new seals and they would last several months then out of nowhere it would blow. We bought a kit for the harmonic balancer witch consistes of a sleave that fits on the back of the h/b witch creates a tighter fit between the seal and h/b. It work for several months then blew again. the sleave seemed about 1/8 inch to long so we trimed the seal to fit flush with the back of the h/b. Lasted several months and now we have the same problem exept now when we put the new seal on...as soon as it cranks up less than 20 seconds later it blows out and it does it that way every time we put a new seal in...20 seconds "pop" 20 seconds "pop"....ANY BODY WITH SUGGESTIONS PLEASE RESPONED IT WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...o and we even put a new oil pan gasket just to try and it didnt do anything
  • theking31211theking31211 Member Posts: 3
    so the radiator fluid over flows from exp. tank and already took it to some grease monkeys garage and paid $450 for new radiator and flush it and heater core. in all took it to them monkeys like 8 times the second time because the new radiator cracked. after every time they said your good to go. what BS. so the temp gage starts to over heat and presure gage needle jumps around/ low until i push the gas then up she goes. when i shut the truck off the exp. tank bubles like crazy. alredy bought new rad. cap because every one said that was it but no it wasnt. id realy like to get some ideas on what is wrong. starting to think mazdas nothing but junk. O ya have to push the gas down some times to start the truck. thanks 4 looking
  • theking31211theking31211 Member Posts: 3
  • slamdjetslamdjet Member Posts: 1
    im having a very similar broblem with my b2200 2.2l the truck will idle fine but as soon as i drive it and it gets hot it shuts down, (keep in mind my temp gauge doesnt curently work so im assuming its when it gets hot) then ill wait a few minutes and it will start right back up and drive like a mile till it gets hot again and shuts off. what did you find wrong with your car?
  • volksgtivolksgti Member Posts: 1
    I just had a problem with my 87 b2200 very similar. It began idling at almost full throttle. When I took the carb off to rebuild it I noticed on the front of the carb is the idle shutoff switch. There is a spring that makes sure the switch activates. The spring on mine came off. As soon as I reconnected the spring the problem was solved. I don't know if this will fix the problem but it is easy to check.
  • Jokerthief07Jokerthief07 Member Posts: 1

@KCRam said:
    If your B-truck engine won't git-r-done, ask about it here

kcram - Pickups Host

I have a 87 2.2 and I'm getting fuel to cylinder 4 but not the other three why is that

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    edited November 2023
    @Jokerthief07
    According to the schematic I just accessed that is a carbureted engine. Is that correct?

How do you know that three cylinders aren't getting any fuel?

Under what engine loads is this happening? Cranking? Idling? Cruise? Acceleration?