Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Air Conditioner and Heater Problems

cralcral Posts: 3
I have a 98 explorer 4.0 xlt SOHC. I have replaced the thermostat, and the heater control valve--both of which were bad. Had the heater core checked and it is ok; good heat going in and out of it. I looked at the blend box and it is operational as to when i go from a/c to heating... I am at a loss any suggestions would be welcomed..

PS the fuse is also good

Thank you
Daren

Comments

• bmr0330bmr0330 Posts: 2
    I have a '99 Ford Explorer XLT. When I turn on the AC it will only come out through the top defroster vent onto the front windshield. This just recently started. Any ideas on what I can look at? Thanks. Brian
  • I am having the same problem with an 02 eddie bauer, I can push any of the buttons to change the setting for the air and it stays on the the "defrost" vents. I was most curious as to whether or not this system uses the vacuum lines for the air conditioner as the older models do or if this is all controlled by electronics since mine is all a push button control. Intermittenly it will change out of no where and have no idea why. Any help would be appreciated as I have spen an hour already looking through the forum for answers.
  • I just bought a new 06 Ford Explorer XLT 4.6 V8. As I was leaving the lot at 9:30 pm I noticed a noise coming from the front middle of the dash that sounded like an old CD player spinning a disk. The noise starts at about 15 miles per hour and stops only when I slow down below 15 mph. It does not make the noise when I'm in park, even if I rev the engine. I messed around with the stereo and A/C and looked under the hood and cannot find the problem or the source of the noise (as it only happens when I'm driving). Needless to say, I took it to the dealer this morning to have it looked at and two maintenance guys acknowledged the noise then scratched their heads and said they didn't know what it was, but it sounded like some sort of air leak coming from somewhere. Then I overheard them talking and the word solenoid was mentioned. Bottom line is it's going back in the shop and I was warned that it could be a while before I see it again. Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
  • My 06 is currently in the shop for the same thing. Got a call from the service manager saying that they cannot pin-point or make out any sound at all. Please let me know what your service guys find out.
    :sick:

Sean
  • I have a 1995 Ford Explorer and a couple of weeks ago when I turned on the fan and set the knob for air flow I noticed the only direction the air will come out is through the defrost. The fan, air condition, and heat are all working but only through the defrost. Is there a way for me to check this out and correct the problem?
  • 2000 Ford Explorer
    My overhead console air temperature is indicating 32 F when the temperature is 54 F. Does anyone know if this can be adjusted or reset?I don't even know where the sensor is located.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    The sensor is behind the grille in the frontal air flow area, in front of the condensor. It's a plug in, don't know what a new one would cost. But that's likely your problem.
  • Hi all. We have 96 Ford Explorer with 4.0/5.0 engine. Man at Advanced Auto parts checked all four posts around heat valve. He said they're all hot. He thinks trouble is with "vent door." I found it behind glove box. The door CLOSES so that I can't see the fan turning when I turn on the heater. Should it be doing this? When the air is turned OFF, the door is left OPEN and I can see the fan blades behind it. The fan works fine. Air is being blown very well, but it will NOT heat up. I asked him about changing thermostat near radiator, but he said that's not the problem. And since all the pipes near heater valve were hot, he doesn't think that's problem either. What to do?
  • cralcral Posts: 3
    your blend door is broke, either insert a small rod into the actuator tip so that it turns the blend door or buy a new blend door and install it yourself.
  • I am having similar problems with my 04 Ford Explorer. Were you able to get this problem fixed? If so, what was the problem, how did you fix it, cost, etc. Thanks! My rear vents are blowing fine as well, not sure if yours were working or not.
  • ahoronahoron Posts: 30
    My girlfriends 98 had the same problem. There is a black ball shaped plastic piece on the pass. side inner fender that has two vacuum lines going to it. I just pulled them off and plugged one in the other that fixed the problem don't know for how long? I believe that it's a storage tank for engine vacuum?
  • It's freezing where I live and I have no heat because the blower is not sending out any air! I tried to search the forum but need help. The first time it wasn't working, I changed the fuse and it came back on right away. Now it's not working again, I replaced the fuse again but no luck. I am not able to afford to see a mechanic so if there is a simple check or fix (for a woman) I would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!
  • Referring to my question above, can anyone please tell me why changing the fuse would work once but did not work again? Please help, it is a 10 below windchill here and I need heat!
  • ahoronahoron Posts: 30
    Silly questions time.What year is the truck? Does it have electronic climate control? Was the fuse blown the second time you changed it? Does it send air at any fan speed? Does it work in defrost?
  • temperature guage flys all over. the radiator is hot on the intake side and cold to touch on left no leaks and heater and air works fine. had system flushed and still same problem. 1995 ford explorer sport trac
  • My 95 Explorer, auto climate control works only in high air. The options for low and medium speeds don't work. Heat and cold works ok but only with high air. Also when I hit the auto bottom it don't work. Is there a relay I should replace or just the fan?
  • I have a 1998 ford explorer limited. My heat and ac have always worked but it seems it only has one setting, extremely hot or extremely cold. A few weeks ago the heat stopped working. I turned on the ac then switched back to heat and it started working again. My heat once again stopped working a few days ago and now I cant get it to work at all, it just blows cold air. Anyone have any clue what might be wrong and how i can fix it?
  • audifordaudiford Posts: 2
    It sounds like a solenoid fires every 5 seconds (a loud click). After the loud click it sounds like the compressor engages but only for 1 second and then disengages. Then the cycle starts again. If the climate control knob is not in the A/C position, there is no clicking sound. In any event, the air coming out of the vents is warm. Any help is appreciated.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Your system is low on refrigerant (R-134a). Soon, it will quit working until you charge it. Get it to a garage pronto, and they'll fix you right up. Probably just needs a couple pounds of R-134.