Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Air Conditioner and Heater Problems

Comments

• audifordaudiford Posts: 2
    OK. I set something up for tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
  • I have an 2002 XLT explorer. When I turn on the air or heat, it works, however the air flow generated by the blower seems very low....even at the highest setting. I can hear the blower roar, but like I said, there is little air or power generated. Any ideas what could be causing this?
    Resolution?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Give Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair a try.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Turns out that I took the blower apart (underneath the glove box) and the inlet was clogged with napkins. They must have got sucked in from the glove box. I cleaned off the inlet screen and now it works like a charm.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I'm glad you got that resolved!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • poverlypoverly Posts: 1
    My 96 Explorer blows hot air thru all heater modes, all vents work perfect, just hot air all the time. I replaced the diverter valve [[vacuum controlled valve that controls water flow to the engine compartment]. I replaced the control rheostat that is supposed to switch from cool air to hot air. Worked for about 5 seconds. Also the AC does not work. I have a friend with a 98 P.U. with the same problems.
    Help
  • don73don73 Posts: 1
    My heater is blowing cold air. Once in a while I can turn on the air and then switch back to heat and it will start working. Any help is appreaciated, thanks...Don
  • 2005 EXPLORER A/C FLUID COLOR I TOOK MY 2005 4X4 EXPLORER TO THE DEALER TODAY. THEY TOLD ME THE "NEON GREEN" FLUID COMING OUT OF A HOSE BEHIND MY REAR PASSENGER TIRE WAS A/C FLUID. I AM ASKING FOR ANOTHER OPINION ON WHAT THE "NEON GREEN FLUID" IS COMING OUT OF MY VEHICLE IS. I LOOKED UNDER THE VEHICLE AND THE FLUID IS COMING OUT WHERE A BRACKET HOLDS THE TUBE TO THE VEHICLE. I HAVE RECEIVED BAD INFO FROM THE DEALER BEFORE.. SO BEFORE SPENDING 1100.00 TO HAVE MY A/C LINE REPLACED I CAME HERE,FOR SOME ADVICE... THANKS
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    He could be right. The refrigerant used in the systems now is a neon green so that leak detection is easier. It resembles the green anti-freezes somewhat, but is brighter.
  • streetrodstreetrod Posts: 1
    Brian, My 2000 explorer has the same problem. After some trouble shooting I found the problem to be a broken vacuum line between the canister in the passenger front fender. If there is no vacuum getting to the system inside the vehicle the system will only blow out the defrost. The vacuum line comes through the firewall in the passenger side near the antenna wire. Check to see if it is disconnected there as there is a connection and one for the blower motor. I had to take out my inner fender well to find my leak since trouble shooting showed I had a problem from the canister to the inside of the firewall. The vacuum lines are very small in diameter and easy damaged.
  • hwy1southhwy1south Posts: 4
    My 99 Limited climate control, when set on automatic, has started blowing only out of the floor, top side vents, and rear unit behind the console. The dash vents are not working, although they are open. For a while, it would work corectly & then stop. Sometimes pushing the stop button & then back to automatic would correct it, but next time it might not. The dash vents would also open & close on their own. Now they will not open at all. Any suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.
  • reddog11reddog11 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Explorer and the same thing just happened to me. The symptoms the same however the cure was different. My problem ended up being a broken peg that attaches to the vacuum solenoid for the flapper in the front vent thing. I followed the red vacuume line to the solenoid which is easy to do if you pull the glove compartment and found that the solenoid was working but nothing was attached to it. I found that the peg that attaches it to the solenoid was missing (later I found it on the floor). I drilled a new hole through the plastic lever and re attached the solenoid with a screw and nut. I used lock tight to keep the nut in place. So far all is working well.
    I took the glove box out & checked the door. Nothing appears to be broken or missing, but the solenoid is not working regardless of which button is engaged on the controls. When on automatic, it's still blowing cold air from the defrost, side top vents (toward the side windows), floor, and rear air. I'm thinking the problem may be a bad switch, because it would be working OK & then airflow from the dash vents would stop, or sometimes turning off the automatic switch & then turning it back on would start it. Wonder what it would cost if the switch is the problem? Would they have to replace the whole unit?
    The problem turned out to be the vacuum line resting against the left side exaust manifold. The heat had sealed the line at the coupling to the extent that it broke when I tried to pull it up to see better. I removed the half of the coupling that the line broke in, pushed the line into the other half, taped them up, & the air once again comes out of the dash vents. I will get another coupling to correctly comlete the repair. The vacuum line is very small, not more than 3/16" outside diameter.
    Regarding previous 7/19 message: Should have said "line resting against RIGHT side exaust manifold".
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    For future reference, after posting, you may edit your post for 30 minutes.
  • I have an 03 Explorer XLT. My wife complained about a knocking sound that only happens when she uses the rear air controls. I removed the blower motor and it was clean. I also noticed that the knocking sound is coming from the duct ing. Any suggestions?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Pretty common problem. It's the blend door that moves the air from the floor to the roof. It's stuck and the motor is snapping. Unfortunately, Ford has no easy fix for this, and most of us just avoid using the rear air controls, since that is univerally the trigger for this problem.
  • nabrilnabril Posts: 1
    2004 Explorer that has A/c issue. The dash vents blow very little air regardless of the fan speed selected. We have to set it on 3 or 4 in order to feel the equivalent of a 1 or 2 in other cars.

When the a/c is set on normal vent, the defrost vents blow a little bit of air out. I have read the posts in the Ford Ranger Maintenance and Repair post, but I am not sure if I can decipher the wording. Sorry, not very car hood literate.
    Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,
    N
  • if you have rear a/c then you are looking at ethier a/c dye from a leak on one of your rear a/c componants,or anti freeze from your rear heating in your rear a/c heating unit.if it feels like oil,then its refridgerant dye,if it feels like water,its antifreeze..