Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Air Conditioner and Heater Problems

Comments

• mchermokmchermok Posts: 3
    ok, thanks for answering my questions, one more :)

Is there anything I can do at home myself to pinpoint the issue, or test your theory of the "bellows in one of the engine vacuum operated servomotors"

Just wondering....

Thanks!
  • What your describing is the exact same problem I have had on my personal 06' Explorer and on my work 07' Explorer. The blend door motor is broken. It has plastic gears inside that break for several siffferent reasons but usually it's from having the fan turned up while adjusting the temp. On both the 06' and the 07 (and even on the older generation) the blend door motor is located on the driver's side underneath the side paneling just in front of the center console (under the plastic right next to your right knee that runs along the fan, heat control and radio portion of the center console). Pull the plastic panel (the one between the center console and the carpet) off. The panel is secured with a large plastic push pin in the front near the gas pedal and with snap clips on the back. The blend door motor is a little plastic box about 3"X4"X1" big. It has 3 or 4 metric screws that secure it to the blend door box. They are a pain but can be taken out without tearing out the center dash plastic. Unplug the electrical connector, plug the new one in and make sure that the male plastic lug from the motor is lined up with the female receptacle in the blend door box and reinstall the screws. The part is relatively inexpensive through DORMAN automotive products (www.dormanproducts.com) at around $40 to $60 depending on exactly which one you need. Mine used Part #604-211 as did the 07' and an 05' I worked on. Hope that helped anyone else out.
  • mckee622mckee622 Posts: 1
    The air in my 2007 explorer will only blow through the floor vents. Even when I push the button on the control panel to switch to ceiling vents, It continues to blow through the floor vents. Help please!
  • Starting to experience multiple problems - the digital display on the electronic climate control quit working, the outside temp / compass digital display will come on after driving for about 20 mins - sometime blinks for a while and various lights are starting to go out on the dash. Any advice on how to start fixing these problems?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Similar problem to post 485, but in the back. It also could be the switch failing, I've seen both problems.....
  • I have the same problem does your dad remember what that part was called my email is betbrianberry@yahoo.com. thanks
  • blend door motor actuator... Dorman parts sells them. They're kind of vehicle specific depending on if you have electronic cabin temperature sensing or rear air, etc. You can order dirctly fron Dorman online (just search dorman parts) or any carquest. I'm pretty sure all other major parts suppliers sell dorman parts too.
  • hwdgailhwdgail Posts: 1
    Hello,

Here's my situation: I have a 2003 Explorer. About 4 years ago, the AC wasnt blowing cold. I just kept adding freon every few months and it seemed to work fine. That last for a few years and now it doesnt blow cold at all. I had it diagnosed yesterday and they said it was the ac evaporator which needed to be replaced.

Because they have to remove the dash board, the labor is around $800, the evaporator $225.00, ac dryer $71.00, orifice tube $8.00, ac oil $10.00, ac recharge $ 80.00, plus the doors in the case are broken too. Total: $1200.00.

I am going to get a few more estimates, but here is my question: since the labor is a huge cost, is there anything else I should replace since my truck is 9 years old, as I do not want to have someone tell me next year that they have to replace something under the dash. I figure I should be proactive since they are ripping it apart anyway.

Thanks in advance.
    Hwdgail
  • fsaund752fsaund752 Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 Ford Explorer Limited. The ac works fine for a while then just seems to stop blowing. After a minute or two it come backs on. It will run awhile and then do the same thing. Any ideas? Dealer seems clueless.

Thanks
  • rlaurenzirlaurenzi Posts: 1
    Hello ryango I have the exact problem right now with my 2003 Explorer XLT. The passenger side AC works well and the rear AC as well, but not the driver side. Have you resolved the problem with yours and if so what was the fix?
  • shannaoshannao Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    i have a 1996 explorer and when i turn the heat or ac on i can only get it out of the defrost nothing wont blow out of the vents can someone please help
  • fsaund752fsaund752 Posts: 2
    I just had the same problem with my 2010 Explorer. It was a problem with the vacuum hose. Luckily mine was still under warranty.
  • I have a 2012 Explorer that is blowing water vapor that smells like hot engine coolant from the defroster and dashboard vents. I've had it to the dealer twice. He ran a pressure test on the cooling system and said there's no leak. Supposedly, Ford is aware of this issue with multiple customers and is coming up with a fix in the 4th quarter (2012). Has anyone else had a similar issue and if so, where does it stand?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    There is a vacuum driven servo valve that absent a source of engine vacuum will do this.
  • Had a similiar problem with 07 explorer.turns out there was a blend door actuator on the drivers side of the plenum.you have to look hard for it.it had 3 screws and 1 plug going to it.a small gear was stripped out resulting in a "clicking" sound.40 dollar part and not too hard to change.you can manually open the door in the 2007 on the right side just look for the lever.the blend door was stuck shu8t only letting cold air in.this worked.hope it helped.
  • akolkerakolker Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    I have an '05 explorer and the heat and a/c would only come out the vents so i took a saturday ( today) and put in a new door actuator in thinking that was the problem.. get it all back together and now it all comes out of every where and the a/c wont work kinda frustrated any suggestions????????? :mad: :confuse:
  • bells5bells5 Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 ford explorer with 3rd row seating that the a/c and heat work in the front and the rear bottom vents but only the a/c works in the rear top vents,when I turn the heat on in the rear top vents the air stays cold and never gets hot.What could be wrong,any suggestions?
  • Fixed my problem perfectly. Only difference I did was used a zip tie rather than a screw! Thanks saved me some money
  • rdeleonrdeleon Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    I have ford explorer 03, both hoses going to heater core are warm , replace pump and thermostat , flush heater core, could any body help
  • I have a 2002 explorer -- had the blend door replaced because it was making a thumping & wouldn't flip over. Now I have heat but the guy at the repair place told me I would have to "play with the dials" until it flips over.... IE.. I hear a loud THUD as the thing flips & then I have heat. I've been doing that, but now it doesn't want to flip so I am back to no heat... fans, etc. work fine... Took to the dealership they want to charge me an insane amount just to look at it & have no idea as to what it may even be... Help.