Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Air Conditioner and Heater Problems

Comments

• Lately had different problem with the heat on my 2004 Explorer, but while working on it, I found something that may help. Open the glove box door and then by pulling the sides very hard inward, drop the door all the way down. Look in toward the top left and you will see a round diaphragm that is vacuum operated. You can manually move the lever on it to change heat direction.You can also disconnect the vacuum line on it for a bit to see what happens. Also look for any other diaphragms that you can operate under the dash manually. Don't remember what directions it changed, but it might give you some leads.Good luck.
  • My husband just swapped the motor out of our 1999 ford explorer. He just got it running and it runs GREAT! BUT there is absolutly no heat. He has checked the relays and the fuses. all looks fine.
    things work (rear defrost) that never even worked before but now this is broken. Any ideas what this could be?
  • Don't know if you got an answer to this already but it sounds like your water pump. I had the same issue with a sunfire(eww!) that i once had!
  • First I would check the heater hoses that go through the cowl into the heater core. If one is hot and the other is a bit cooler, the heat would be getting to the core under the dash. If the heat is going thru the core, then the problem would be that the blend door is stuck closed and not allowing heat to enter into the vehicle compartment.. You didn't say whether the fan is working or not. Also check to be sure the heater hoses aren't reversed where they connect to the engine, if it is possible to do that. Also check all vacuum hoses connected to the engine, as vacuum is what opens the heater blend door.
  • tededteded Posts: 2
    I have a 97 Ford Explorer that I haven't driven for about 5 weeks. For some reason the AC has stopped working. The compressor doesn't switch on. I've checked the fuse and connections but no luck. Fan and heater work ok.
    Does someone out there have any suggestions?
    Ted :sick:
  • I am trying to get my daughters 03 Explorer Air Con compressor to work. The clutch does not engage. Checked all the fuses and relay's and wiring. Any idea what it could be?? I am trying to get it to work along with the defroster. I already know the blend door motor gears were stripped since it got it to move into place then pull the wire so it didn't keep making the clicking noise. Could this have something to do with it??

Thanks Scott

PS: I did the blend door fix on my other daughters 03 CHerokee, not to big of a deal. I really didn't want to do it to the Explorer after watching the video!!
  • I have a 2004 Ford Explorer that had a heat control problem that I was able to fix easily in my garage in about an hour.
    The problem was that I was not getting heat from the defroster when I turned the heater control knob to defrost. Heat only come out of the front vents no matter which position I selected. I removed the glove box so I could inspect under the dash, and noticed in the upper left hand side of the heat box that a control arm was not connected to the blend door that controls heat direction. It appeared that a plastic boss had broken off and a control arm mechanism and the actuator lever was no longer attached.
    The fix:
    •Drill a 1/8 hole through the control arm mechanism where the plastic boss had broken off.
    •Using a self tapping 3/4” long screw to re-attach the control arm to the actuator.
    •Please use extreme caution when hand tapping the screw through the control arm mechanism, it is possible to crack the plastic.
    •Check for proper function of the heater directional control knob.
    Done

have fun, ;)
    Albert
  • Thanks for the tip. That hasn't happened to mine yet, but it stopped throwing heat until I was able to open the blend door by going thru the glove box....thanks to a tip on this site.
  • tededteded Posts: 2
    Can any one help with this problem please?
  • I have a 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer that we purchased new (as a left over). When you put it on mix (Floor & defrost) it appears OK, but sounds like something is not opening completely. When we put it on defrost, nothing changes & the air levels stay the same. During on recent snow storm, the top 1/2 of the windshield fogged up on the inside & ice built up in the same area on the outside (It never got any better & I had to stop many times scraping the outside & wiping the inside along with some cold air coming in under the glove box). I have complained about this for many years & over these years the Ford dealer has replaced the ductwork & still no positive results(While it was under warranty). A few years ago(during the last attempted fix or repair), I spoke with the factory rep. & was told that Ford was aware of this problem, but that there was nothing that they could do & that it was "just the nature of the vehicle". She also told me that this was a problem on the 2004 & 2005 explorers. I tested a 2005 (that happened to be on the lot) & yes, it was the same. I am concerned that an accident may happen due to this problem that Ford has acknowledged & after all these many years has not found a fix. My feelings are that they really don't care as they have received their money. QUALITY JOB 1????
  • Look at article #270 posted on Jan 24th 2010 and it will give you some information on a possible fix for your defroster. Also, once you pull the glove box door down by pulling the side arms in, you can see a round vacuum diaphragm with a lever on it. You can try to move the arm and see if it will change the direction from floor to defrost. I did that with mine.....
  • cinybetcinybet Posts: 1
    clusterbuster....I have a 2004 explorer...i see the diaphragm you are talking about. my thing is were is all the air coming from on the right side fire wall. does that have something to do with that broken piece? Please and thanks for any help.
  • Sorry, Don't know where it is coming from. Others on this site have described the same problem with cold air coming around glove box area. Wish I could help, but can't.
  • teaneyteaney Posts: 1
    Fan motor gets louder but very little air comes through.
    I took the fan motor off behind the glove box and could see a filter above where it mounted. Pushing it up let leaves fall down. Any way to go at it from above or through the glove box opening to vacume the leaves out. Don't even think I got them all.
    How do leaves get in the filter in the first place?
    Gary
  • It is called a blend door actuator and the dealer repair is about $850 since they have to pull the entire dash. I learned that this is a common issue for the Explorer however there has not been any recall on it yet. I called Ford customer service about the issue and they referred me to my dealer where I have my truck serviced. Luckily, the Service Manager at Blue Springs Ford made the reapir at no charge since I have been a customer since I made the new car purchase in 2004.
  • someone please tell me the best way to get to and replace my faulty blend door on my 2002 ford explorer.
  • My 1995 is doing the same thing. Did you find anything out about it?
  • ronkeyronkey Posts: 11
    I hope you find out what the problem is,cause I have the problem also with 98 explorer.I suspect the ac control.
  • I am having the same problem with my air system. I was wondering what the clicking in the rear over the driver side back tire was and how do you fix it? Mine makes the noise sometimes and other times it doesn't. Also my door sensor says i have a door open i was wondering if anyone has any advice to figure out which door the sensor is bad on? Thanks guys it is a huge help to get advice on these sites.
  • Hi, I have 2005 explorer, where did you find the lever in yours?
  • I found mine with help from the clicking sound it was making. After the glove box door is dropped down, the lever is to the left back in maybe 6 inches, It's close to the dash and is pretty hard to find. I had to push down on it once I found it. Don't turn the temp control at all after you push the lever down, or you will lose the heat again. Make sure the temp control is completely on hot before you try to find the lever. Good luck.
  • wayne6197wayne6197 Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Ford Explorer that the A/C blows only out of the defroster vent. Every now and then it will blow out of the floor and dash vents but this is not often. I took it to the dealership and they said they thought it was an "arm" on the heater core that was bad and it would cost $1000 to fix it. Sounds fishy to me. Does anyone have any other possibilities of what this might be? I usually like to fix stuff myself if I can, but this one has me stumped. Plus, getting into the dash appears to be a major undertaking. TIA for your help. Wayne
  • Not sure if this will help, but drop the glove box door all the way down by releasing the side arms by pulling inward. As you look staight up and to the left you should see a round diaphram. Try to move the arm to shift the flow direction. It may also have a vacuum hose on it to remove for testing. Engine will have to be running , parking brake on, and A/C operating. Hope this will help.
  • wfd1105wfd1105 Posts: 1
    my a/c works pretty good but it switches from vents to the defrost when we are driving down the road . what could be the problem ?????
  • radracer1radracer1 Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    we have the same thing going on here.2005 ford explorer. I have found that under acceleration it switches to defrost then when I back of the throttle it will switch back and blow out vents again....I know these are vacuum controled flapper doors but not sure if its a vacuum issue or a controler issue....anyone else have suggestions for us?
  • lanenlanen Posts: 1
    I have a 97 ford explorer a/c only works on max, checked blend door it is ok.Last time this happened i had a mechanic change the a/c switchs (2) of them does anyone know where the one on the drivers side is located
  • jpod3jpod3 Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 ford explorer sport, mileage 91,000 - when I turn the air conditioning on, a loud clicking sound comes from the compressor. It blows cold air - just wondering if there was anything I could do to quieten this noise (other than not using the air).
  • macnllmacnll Posts: 1
    2005 EB A/C compressor does not kick on until I disconnect and reconnect a the Four Seasons A/C relay switch on the back of the compressor. Sure would like to replace the $32.00 switch rather than pay six bills for a new compressor. Other than the intermittent operation the A/C works fine. Anybody ever replace this switch on an Explorer?
  • HELLO...MY 02 EXPLORER IS HAVING THE SAME ISSUE...DID YOU EVER FIND THE CORRECT PROBLEM TO GET IT FIXED?
  • jpod3jpod3 Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 ford explorer sport, mileage 91,000 - when I turn the air conditioning on, a loud clicking sound comes from the compressor. It blows cold air - just wondering if there was anything I could do to quieten this noise (other than not using the air). Is this a warning of trouble to come or does it need refrigerant?