Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Tires and Wheels

Comments

• mdhuttonmdhutton Posts: 195
    Did you mount these on the OEM wheels on your 08 HL LTD?
  • snoskiersnoskier Posts: 1
    My '07 Highlander Limited AWD came with Goodyear Integrity 225/65R17 tires. They lasted barely 25,000 miles. I replaced them with Goodyear Fortera 225/65R17 tires and the tire dealer recommended running 40 psi. The ride is not bad, not as soft and car-like as the 30 psi Integritys, but still comfortable. So far they have performed well when I made two ski trips since installation.

Now my problem is getting the tire pressure inflation system light on the dash to go off. Will road test it later this afternoon and report back to everyone.

SnoSkier
  • nowlennowlen Posts: 35
    I own an 08 Sport with the 19" wheels. Although they were hard to locate for a price I was willing to pay, I finally found a set of 17" base wheels on ebay and they were delivered yesterday. I just had Michelin Latitude X-Ice mounted on them and tested them on the Highlander for fit. (I always prep for winter and for years have bought my snow times in the late spring for very low prices - I got these for 45% off). I'm pleased to say there is no problem with fit on the Sport as many have claimed. The hubs, calipers, rotors and everything else that would matter are the same part number except for the strut on the Sport so I had marginal concern. BOTTOM LINE: if you want to put OEM Highlander Base 17" wheels on a vehicle with 19" factory wheels GO FOR IT AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT A FIT PROBLEM.

Now, when my factory 19" tires wear out I'm going to give a shot at looking at 255/55-19 tires to replace the 245's. DiscountTire.com has a highly rated Hankook all-season for $185 w 65,000 warranty that they claim will fit without a problem.
    I see a lot of people here talking about mounting 255/60-19 on their 245/55-19 '08 Highlanders. That changes the diameter by 1.4 inches and the circumference by 4.5 inches. You're asking for trouble. The problem is changing the profile to 60 - leave it at 55. Going to 255/55-19 only changes the diameter by .4 inches and the circumference by 1.4 inches - a much more reasonable choice.

Generally, you should only be changing the profile if you're changing the wheel diameter. (Going to an 18" wheel in the case of the 08 Highlander).

DiscountTire.com has a 'Tire Size Calculator' on the left side of their home page that can help you with these calculations and it will even tell you how much your speedometer will change.
  • hotrod28hotrod28 Posts: 9
    have you had any problems with clearance in the wheel well or the tire rubbing on the suspension or other parts in tight cornering situations???
  • harris20harris20 Posts: 1
    What do you think about going to a 20" wheel on the '08 Highlander Limited?
  • maphammapham Posts: 3
    No trouble at all, I drove over 3k miles on the 255/60 R19 Michelin’s tires without rubbing or any issues. Does very good on the wet road on a rainy day, I have not yet drove it on ice or snow.
    Personally, I wanted to stay with factory rims, so I can't really comment from experience on the 20's.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, DiscountTire.com has a 'Tire Size Calculator' where you enter the current tire's specs and the tire you want to go to and tells you the differences in resulting TIRE profile. You also need to be sensitive to the wheel offset to avoid any problems. It takes some research on your part - call the big online tire sellers and/or trusted local shops and ask. Make sure you get a Fit guarantee just in case somebody makes a mistake.

For sure, going to 20's will give you less height of the tire sidewall (because you'll be moving to 50 series tires) making you more susceptible to pothole damage (a big concern in my part of the country) and will probably result in a rougher ride and a change in handling. If you live where the roads are straight and smooth that will matter less to you. Good Luck!
    Why did you go to 60 series when upping the width to 255 instead of just sticking with 55?
  • axmacdaxmacd Posts: 1
    I bought a set of 18" Lexus LS460 rims, and they DO NOT fit on the 2008 - 2009 Highlander!
    Did you have to reset the tire air pressure sensors to get the sensors to work correctly so the dash light does not come on? How many miles do you now have on these and are you experiencing any problems with them?
  • eenglish99eenglish99 Posts: 19
    I have a 2002 Millenium Silver Highlander with the aluminum wheels. They have been holding up oretty well but on two of them the center piece inside the lug nuts with the logo on it is starting to peel on only 2 of them.
    Is this a common problem?
    Can you just get this little piece and replace them?
    I may try touch up paint.
    Thanks
  • jimp01jimp01 Posts: 3
    I called that number and was told they do not have any prices and don't sell. How did you get yours and are they still available at that price?
  • gwnorth23gwnorth23 Posts: 2
    Just had my new tires installed Saturday, all in delivered and mounted came in just under $800. While I am not thrilled about replacing tires at 19k I hope these will be better than the POS A20's :mad: . Much more aggressive tread pattern and should provide vast improvement when compared with the street slicks I have been driving on for these Maine winters. Drove back from Portland on 95 last evening in hard rain and they handled well. Will try and keep everyone updated and good luck finding the best replacements!
  • bob259bob259 Posts: 280
    Great... Keep us posted!
  • chuck_s99chuck_s99 Posts: 8
    31+k miles on the HL. Love the car but the tires were just about shot. I had looked at lots of options including staying with 19's and going to 255 Michelin Latitude Tour but at $299 ea and NO mileage warranty, it just didn't make sense.

Today at Discount Tire, I bought MB Seven X wheels ($78 ea) and Michelin LXT A/T P245/65R-17 at $179 ea (60k miles warranty). Mounted, CERTS (replacement guarantee), TPMS rebuilds -- out the door $1350 or so. I have already submitted my $70 rebate and will put my 19" wheels up for sale on craigslist and/or eBay shortly. Even if I only get a couple of hundred for the set, I'm nearly down to a grand net cost.

Driving home, seemed somewhat quieter. I won't be able to test them in snow for some months, but I'm optimistic. I'll post back after some more miles and weather.
    I just had the Michelin 255/60 R19 latitude tour tires installed on my 2008 Highlander limited AWD and they are great. The car runs smoother , quieter, and corners better than with the original 245/55 R19 A20 tires. Michelin is currently running a SPECIAL PRICING on these tires for a retail price in the $160.00 range. I got 4 tires installed with road hazard, 4 wheel drive alignment and lifetime balance and tire rotation every 5k miles for $700. The same tire in the 255/55 R19 size is $280 per tire (not on sale). You can get these at any Sams or Costco or any other Michelin dealer. Also you can call the michelin tire number see the website and they will send you a preferred customer coupon that will give you an additional $60 rebate if you do not buy the tires from Sams or Costco. I have checked the clearance on the tires and they are fine.

The real problem with the Highlander is that in order for the car to hold the road Toyota requires the Castor and Camber and Toe in to be set so that it causes fast wear on the inside edge of the tires. This is just one of the things that come with owning a Toyota Highlander AWD vehicle. The original set of tires that came on the car had 31,000 on them and they still were not worn down to the tread indicators in the center of the tire but the inside shoulder of all 4 tires was worn to the cord so they had to be replaced. The 4 runner as an example does not have this issue.

Good luck with tires hope this helps nsome of you with the tire issues
  • kharriskharris Posts: 41
    I'm not sure I understand the second part of your message. Are you saying that the alignment on your new Michelins was not set to factory specs? In my experience, if you change the settings to get better roadholding(more negative camber for example) on any make of tire you also increase the tire edge wear. Are you attributing the wear patterns on the original tires to having changed the alignment settings to improve road holding, because that's exactly what you would expect to happen. I am sure that the Michelins will perform better than the originals in every way but if you change the alignment settings, they too will show undesirable wear patterns. Or are the Michelins so much better that there is no need to modify the alignment settings?
    Going to 60 series changes the diameter by 1.4 inches and the circumference by 4.5 inches. Going to 255/55-19 only changes the diameter by .4 inches and the circumference by 1.4 inches. You make the call - it can cause alignment issues.
    In any case TireRack now has the Michelin Latitude Tour 255/60-19 for a special of $108 each if you're willing to be aware of the size implications. And, if you can get the $60 off that hotrod28 mentions, it would make for a nice deal!