Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Tires and Wheels

Comments

• This is awesome news. I've ALWAYS been a MICHELIN fan. I wonder what the availability will be. I only hope I can last until March. I made it thru last winter, but I have many more miles on my Bridgestones. And I'm slipping & sliding all over the place this winter. We had a ton more snow last winter, but this winter is worse. Must be the wear.
    Does anyone know if there a tire trade show like most other industries have?
  • darloxdarlox Posts: 3
    >The OEM Bridgestones (Dueler H/L Alenzas) are just as bad as the Toyo A20s....maybe worse.

Just a quick correction here...

The OEM Bridgestones are the Dueler H/L 400s. The Dueler H/L Alenzas are not available in 245/55 R19 size.

Not precisely sure what the technical difference between the 400 and Alenza models are, but there is a WORLD of difference in practical terms. I ended up putting 255/55 R19 Alenzas on my '08 HiHy, and they're excellent. They're also rated in the Top 5 of tires in that category, as opposed to the bottom 5 like the 400s.

I'll also confirm, independently, that I was told by two different dealers in my area that warranty is not an issue going to a 255/55 R19. It's not a "certified tire" by Toyota for that vehicle, but it's well within safety tolerances, and they see plenty of '08+ vehicles coming in with them. They, at least, had never denied a warranty claim as a result.

There's another thread HERE talking about this (towards the end) in greater technical detail, including details of my own research and experiences here.
  • When I read your response, I immediately E-Mailed Customer Support at Michelin with that same question. Their answer I received just today is noted below:

"According to your email you are searching for replacement tires for your 2010 Toyota Highlander size P245/55r19, we do apologize at the present time we do not build a tire in this size and have no indication as to when we may introduce that tire size in the replacement market. Please check back with us at a later date for any yupdates."

So, I would not count on Michelin coming through any time soon.
    I just purchased my 2010 Limited on 12-23-09 with the Bridgestone Dueler 400 tires. Hopefully, they are building those tires better now. But, if not, I have more time than some of you guys for someone to step up & build a replacement tire in that size.
  • I wouldn't let one hopefully uninformed CS rep dampen the party. Maybe the person used to work the phones for the IRS and learned to just pick answers out of thin air.

John
  • gnowakgnowak Posts: 2
    I spoke to two representatives from Michelin and they do not have new tires coming out in march and no 245/55/19 size. I was hoping you were right
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Posts: 195
    Thank you for correcting this. My OEM tires are indeed the 400's, and they're certainly just as dangerous in the snow.
    Then why would one rep seem to have some pretty specific information about this size and an availability date? Maybe I'm more of an optomist, but I'd take the word of one rep saying "yes" over two who said "no." In a company the size of Michelin's, can you honestly expect what are sure to be hundreds of entry-level phone reps to all get it?
  • berriberri Posts: 4,157
    I think the Highlander tire size is vehicle specific and unique, so there isn't really all that much volume to amortize start up costs, so I'm doubting we'll see a Michelin tire unless other models go to that size tire.
  • db68db68 Posts: 3
    OEM tires which of course are something that is made to put on the car to sell it- If they were 60,000 to 100,000 mile tires who would need replacements right..Then of course there wouldnt be a need for tire stores..I only received 20k on my A20's which as a consumer didnt seem right since the car cost so much - so getting out of a 300 tread wear tire and into a tire with more tread wear - like my new Toyo Ht's (which by the way are not OE tires installed on a new vehicle, as some people feel they are the same as the A20's) which have a 640 tread wear are perfect. Guess thats why car manufacturers are in the business of selling cars and not tires. But thankfully there are tire companies who make their own line of tires...and our tire dealers who help sell them.....economy - right!!! Go for the HT's great lasting tires!!! :)
  • wl12wl12 Posts: 4
    From what I hear Toyo HTs are indeed much better tires than Toyo A20. I had Toyos, which were OE on my old Maxima 15 years ago and they lasted well over 100k km (62k miles), so not all Toyo products are bad.

But it is hard to agree with your statement that "If they were 60,000 to 100,000 mile tires who would need replacements right..Then of course there wouldnt be a need for tire stores."

If this were true new cars should come with crappy radios, lousy paint job, substandard windshields, bulbs, break pads, mufflers, etc. After all, there are stores out there, which sell this stuff. And they all need to make a leaving. Right?

I would rather have a choice before committing to a new car. Do I want normal, reliable tires, or perhaps a set, which is only good enough to get me out of the dealership.

My problem is that I was 100% sure I bought a reliable car and reliable everything, what came with it. This thinking nearly got me killed a few of days ago on a snow covered highway.

Also, this tires fiasco on my Highlander makes me wonder what else in the car is there just for looks? What other corners were cut to save a buck that I will only find out when it is nearly too late?

And yes, car manufacturers are in the business of selling cars, and a lot of them also sell tires.
    So far, I believe you're correct in that the 245/55R19 is unique to the HL. However, I'll argue that a company of Michelin's size can absorb whatever production adjustements (i.e. costs) are necessary to produce this tire.
  • 400e400e Posts: 41
    Actually, the Toyota Venza uses this size as well.

I suspect there are at least a few other models out there using this size.
    OK thanks. More reason for Michelin (and others) to get with the program.
  • db68db68 Posts: 3
    Yes, you are right - What I meant was - If I walk into a tire store I have MY choice of picking a tire. With that includes tread wear (performance/touring/AT/HT/MT..etc..) and with different types of tires you receive a "warranty" based off of how the tire was made, right? So if I had the chance to choose my tire would I 1) choose a performance tire which is softer and as we know the softer the compound the quicker it will wear as it heats up or 2) a highway tire with a compound that is double and usually is provided with a mileage warranty as it was built and tested and guaranteed ?? Well I would take the later with my HL but, if I had a sports car I would choose the performance tire. So I guess the best scenerio is until car manufactures choose to think of the type of consumer and locations their selling too - we will have to deal with the fact that possibly the OE tires might or might not last!!!
  • jhornjhorn Posts: 18
    We made a trip from Connecticut to Toronto on the New Year day. I was surprised that my Highlander Hybrid performed so well because I had read many posts about bad A20 tires. We encountered several drifting snow falls and icy roads between Syracuse and Buffalo during the trip. There were times the panel indicated traction control "on"; however, the car was never lost control.

On the way back, we had similar conditions. No problems, except for a warning message saying the pressure monitor system failed. It needed to be checked (all tire pressure was above 35 psi). After a few minutes, the message disappeared. It appeared again after a few hours. I took the car to a Toyota dealer and described the problem/message to them. The checked but could not find the issue. Nothing was seen from the computer. They said that sometime this would happened because of the cold weather. I was upset because the car was sold in New England and would not function properly in the cold weather. They said that there was nothing they could do at that point. I will bring it back if the message appears again. This will help if the sytem do fail for good in the future.

John
  • Hello,

I've just installed new snow tires on (General Altimax Arctic) my 2004 Highlander. The grip is far better than the OEM (integrity) on slippery surfaces. The tires appear to be correctly installed and inflated. However, when my speed exceeds 45mph the tire pressure, VSC, Brake, ABS and other lights come on. They all turn off when I slow down or restart.

I'm looking for some help in figuring out (i) how to prevent these lights from coming on and (ii) whether these tires are doing anything bad to my highlander.

With thanks for your advice
  • Sounds like you need to get an analyzer on it. Stop by a Autozone store and they'll it for free. If I had to guess maybe on the install one of the wheel speed sensor connectors got knock lose or broke. For the ABS each wheel had a sensor which is nothing more than a magnetic coil that sits near the rotor that has like a gear set of teeth. As the wheel spins a pulse is generated and read by the computer. If one is not sending anything I guess all those alarms go off. I do not know for sure but maybe the ABS only engages or some other alarm when the speed gets above 45. I'd go back to the tire dealer and have them check it.
  • HEre is the reply I got from Michelin:

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

We apologize that we do not produce a tire for your Toyota Highlander.

Michelin has not announced that we will be producing the P245/55R19 size at
    this time. You might check back at a later date to see if this size has
    been added to our lineup.

Thank you for considering Michelin tires.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,157
    So far, I believe you're correct in that the 245/55R19 is unique to the HL. However, I'll argue that a company of Michelin's size can absorb whatever production adjustements (i.e. costs) are necessary to produce this tire.

Its not just Michelin, its the supply chain of wholesalers and retailers as well. There has to be enough demand for the tire to justify stocking it and paying interest carrying costs on the unsold inventory. I don't think 19 inch Highlander and Venza wheeled vehicles can attain that alone without an OEM pull. You're best bet is if Toyota starts using Michelin tires as OEM, but given their recent apparent propensity for "cheap" rubber, I don't see it happening unfortunately.
    Thank you mama2ally and berri for researching this issue a bit further. Seems like you each were hell bent on being right, and you were! Congrats.
  • "Michelin has not announced..."

Well, they didn't say they weren't talking about it, planning it or tooling up, just that they haven't announced.

C'mon folks, think positively and keep calling them. :)

John
  • I have a 2008 Highlander. I think a car costing 41k should have good tires. I was told today that mine needed replacing. My millage is 1900. I have spun out of control just leaving my driveway. Where is the my 4x4 and why doesn't it work!!! I have had bad traction from the beginning. I didn't have this with my last Highlander, but I don't think I'll be getting another one. I'm thinking of selling.
  • Sounds like a letter needs to be written, but selling the Highlander will cost more than a 4 tire replacement.
  • I know. I was just shocked to find my fully loaded car did not have upgraded tires. It's my family's safety that I worry about.
  • I WAS TOLD I HAD THREE BAD TIRES ON 2004 HIGHLANDER LIMITED WITH 37,000 MILES. dealer quoted $520.00 for three and use spare for fourth. for GOODYEAR INTEGRA. opted for four michelin latitude tour [ 65,000 miles] from costco for $800.00 OTD after $70.00 discount.
  • nowlennowlen Posts: 35
    The 2004 does not use the problem size tire! You have many more choices on your HL.
  • New to this forum, I have read through most of the threads regarding this topic, but I am still confused. Same as many of you, my HL came with the crappy Toyo tires. What I'm not sure about is the size. I have P225/70R16 tires. I will be purchasing new tires. Do I need to go with the same size or do you recommend a larger size? I live in Chicago, and I have been slipping and sliding all winter. Never had this issue with my old minivan. Toyota dealer recommends either YokoGeolanders or Michelin LTX. Just Tires has a Goodyear ASsurance comfort Tread at a good price.
    Any thoughts are most appreciated.
  • you should have MANY more options than those of us with the 19" tires. That is the major problem going on in this thread...there are only 2-3 choices in the 19" tire. one is a snow tire and the other two come on the Highlander and are worthless.
    I WISH I could get a Michelin for my '08 Highlander.
  • Hi, im about to purchase a 2010 highlander down here in New Zealand, with 17' wheels...going to upgrade to 19' wheels, wont be doing any snow driving... (lucky me by the sounds of the previous posts)...only dry/wet roads...any recommendations on tires for these conditions, or will OEM tires be ok....hear bad reports for snow driving, but how are they otherwise....thanks
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,585
    G'day

It would be worth reading back through the posts here and investigating the availability of tyres for the wheels you propose. There are only two tyres (Toyo and Bridgestone) available for the Kluger's 19" wheels and neither of them have received favourable comment on this site, particularly where snow is involved. The availability issue is likely to be worse in New Zealand because of the relatively small market. It is a significant issue in the USA, A bigger one in Australia and likely a shocker in New Zealand.

I have a now 5 year old Kluger in Victoria, Australia and found the original fit Toyo tyres to be shockers. They were worn out in 40,000km and gave poor road holding in wet or mud conditions. I then replaced with Yokohama Geolander HT/S 225/70 R16 and have got 90,000km out of them. Very good performance although when new, the pretty aggressive tread was inclined to dig in on loose sand (although excellent in snow and mud). They are now due for replacement and I will replace with identical tyres after a lengthy chat with several tyre experts. As one of them put it "Why would you put anything else on?"

Toyota in the USA have been pretty difficult about fitting non stock tyre sizes to the Kluger (Highlander) and I would approach that idea with caution.

Whilst perhaps not as attractive, it might be wiser to stick to the original 17" wheel size which will give you a far greater range of tyres. The side benefit of this is that I actually think the ride and handling is better on the 17" particularly in snow/mud than the 19" (Colleagues have both sizes and the 19" look better for poseurs in suburban streets, but are poor on the mountain)

Cheers

Grahan