Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Tires and Wheels

Comments

• gasman1gasman1 Posts: 321
    Unless, you're talking the OEM Goodyear tires, I disagree with your non-humble opinion. (You're entitled to that opinion. :) ) The OEM tires that come on the HL are JUNK! It doesn't matter the brand name. You need to replace them ASAP so you can have a better and safer riding tire that will last 60-70K miles. Why didn't Toyota fit the HL with premium quality tires? It must be a $ thing, but not good business IMO.

I haven't experienced the Yoko's, but read on these boards that people are happy with them. Having owned Michelin Cross terrain tires on a 2001 HL for 55K miles and a 2002 Tundra for 30K miles, I have the following comment. They're much better than OEM, but aren't good enough. They begin quiet, but begin to get noisy around 25K miles.

A top rated tire at Tire Rack is the Goodyear Triple Tread (Forterra Triple Tread on SUV and Assurance Triple Tread on cars). The GY Triple Tread tires on my 2006 HL have about 15K miles. They are the best tires that I've ever owned. Great snow/rain traction, braking, smooth ride, and quiet on the highway. (However, there is some road/tire noise at speeds below 40MPH.) I have them on the HL, the G6, and will soon replace the Michelin Hydro Edge tires on our 4WD Matrix. My neighbor has them on his Avalon and his 4Runner and he also shares my experience with these tires.

I don't switch tires over summer/winter so the miles I mentioned are true miles for each tire brand. (Also, I don't work for or have any financial interest in Goodyear.)
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Agree w/gasman. I have the assurance comfort tread on my v6 Honda Accord and they are MUCH smoother,quieter than the oem Michelins. Always check the tirerack surveys to get info re a tire before you buy.
  • my001my001 Posts: 17
    Based on the review, Forterra Triple Tread is very good. I noticed the thread has a direction and therefore how do you rotate tires or it simply does not matter?
    They rotate between front and rear on the same side of the vehicle. Another great thing about switching out the OEM tires is that tire rotations on these tires are free. You can also spend a few extra $$$ per tire to get the lifetime balance and road hazard. It's about $4 per tire, as I recall. The rotations help increase the life of the tire and provide more even wear.
  • mcswinemcswine Posts: 30
    I replaced the crappy Goodyear "Integrity's" on my '03 Highlander with the Triple Treds and the difference is remarkable. I will agree with Gasman that these tires are the best I've ever owned.
    Goodyear owes me for spreading the good word about these tires. :shades: Glad they worked for you!
  • I replaced the original tires which were Toyo's at 23k miles because the tread wear indicator showed up on all the tires. That shows Toyo quality sucks. I bought 4 new Goodyear Integrity's tires at Sam's Club for my 2005 Toyota Highlander and I noticed they don't have any much road noise and they handle alot better.
    I went to Sam's Club last week and they balanced the tires twice now since I bought the tires from them 2 months ago, but I still get the steering wheel vibration especially at 70-75. Sam's Club says that the rim is to blame, not the tire because the rim is defective and when that the problem is from normal everyday driving and hitting pot holes, etc..... My old tires didn't have any steering wheel vibration issues at highway speeds at all though. Should I go back to them a 3rd time and ask for a manager or go to the dealer to have them check everything out?
  • mdchachimdchachi Posts: 275
    How have these tires affected your gas mileage? My mechanic claims I need new tires on my 04 HL Limited even though I only have 52,000 miles on them. It's only the treads near the side that have less depth than Lincoln's head on a penny. The treads in the middle are fine!

Anyway the OE tires -- Michelin Energy LX4 -- claim to be better for mileage. I've never had any problems so I'd be inclined to get the same tires if I hadn't stumbled across this thread. The price appears to be the same between the two. So, anyway, any comments regarding gas mileage & Fortera?

Thanks.
    I had them installed the first day I had the HL, so I can't really compare how they impacted my MPG. I have a 2WD v-6 and got 24MPG on a 450 mile highway trip yesterday. So, they may hit me for 1 or 2 MPG, but (to me) the safety, traction, and handling positively offset this potential negative.
  • my001my001 Posts: 17
    <<<<<<<<<<
    They rotate between front and rear on the same side of the vehicle. Another great thing about switching out the OEM tires is that tire rotations on these tires are free. You can also spend a few extra $$$ per tire to get the lifetime balance and road hazard. It's about $4 per tire, as I recall. The rotations help increase the life of the tire and provide more even wear.
    <<<<<<<<<<
    Ok. How about spare tire, should it be left or right?
    Thanks,
    Suggest you call and ask the tire dealership. My spare is the original and I don't rotate it. Please share what they have to say.
  • I rotated all five origianl Goodyear Integrity tires on my '03 4-cylinder Highlander and got an amazing 55,000 miles on them before I replaced them. Even then they had some tread left but were not so good in rain. (Never were!)

I replaced them with Yokohama Geolandars which now have 40,000 miles on them. I've only rotated the four tires, not the spare on this set. They still have lots of tread left and will probably go another 20,000 miles. Interestingly, I did see about a 2mpg drop in fuel mileage with the Yokos; something that Consumer Reports and others noted. I guess it does make a difference. The Yokos are good tires. Excellent in the rain and fair in the snow.

My $0.02.
  • jossjoss Posts: 2
    All the info about the tires on a new car being undesirable. Is it possible to "make" the dealership replace the tires before you buy? I can't imagine buying a new car and immediately replacing the tires!...probably couldn't afford it anyway! The care I am wanting to trade in needs new tires...I figured that I would be able to avoid buying new ones! What do you think...could that be a deal breaker?
  • sy2005hlsy2005hl Posts: 1
    I am interested to know that you had to replace your tires at 23K miles. My 2005 Highlander has only 13K miles but the tread wear indicator already showed up on the front tires. I went to the Toyo tire dealer to maintain my car and was told that I need to replace these tires as early as possible. I asked about warranty and was told that there is no warranty on tires. I am wondering when you replaced your tires, had you contacted Toyo about the tire warranty?
    Or anybody else knows about the warranty program on Toyo tire.
    Thanks.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,007
    Tires are ordinarily covered by their own warranty, even on new cars. So I don't know why your Toyo tire dealer said there wasn't any warranty. With that few miles, it may be worth it to pursue replacements under warranty if the pro rata restrictions aren't too onerous. Maybe contact the distributor or company via their web page?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• nosdivadnosdivad Posts: 14
    i have 20,000 on my GOODYEAR INTEGRITY 04 HL 4 wheel drive limited. i had no problem until i had them rotated. now there is irritating hum from front tires when speed reaches 25 and above. i took vehicle back to dealer where all maitenance is performed and was told that when rotation is done the front tires are "cupped" because rear tires remain straight and the front move . i was advised that over time the tires will "wear in" and the noise will disappear. i asked if the the noise would disappear if the the tires were rotated back as they were before rotation. the response was ,"no it will be worst." Is that information correct? i don't want to purchase new tires unless i just have to.
    i do have access to sam's and costco warehouse clubs..
    maybe i shouldn,t have tires rotated in the future if "cupping" may become a problem???? i do want as smooth a ride as is possible.
    I've "heard" that you can "work the cupping out" by leaving them on the front, but that could take several thousand miles. IMO, moving them back to the rear may make them more cupped. Someone with more knowledge will need to reply to the cupping question. However, to extend the life of your tires --- rotate them every 5-6K miles.
  • jospherjospher Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Highlander for 1 1/2 years with 14,000 miles and the dealership toyo tires are shot. Even wear throughout all 4, nearly at the tread mark of tires. I would work a deal for a new vehicle and then tell them only if you change tire for whichever you want or else no deal and I leave. I would guess they would agree. It cannot cost them much more if any to change tires to make a deal.If I knew about these pathetic tires they put on, they would either change them or I would not be driving a Highlander. Good luck and let me know how you make out.
    thanks much for the information
    thank you. i may leave them on for a while. or i may have to research to find a tire that will not result in that problem. i may check out sam's or costco clubs to see if they have tire that will not result in that problem. i am also thinking that in the future that i may not rotate tires at all. i know that rotation supposely prolongs life of tires. on the other hand: even though tires may wear prematurely i may break even because i would not be paying for rotation every 4/5000 miles. any thoughs/ suggestions?
  • mdchachimdchachi Posts: 275
    I had a similar situation. I think it was on a Corolla. After rotating, there was an annoying vibration. My mechanic felt the tires and said there was a smooth spot as if I had braked hard enough to leave rubber which was plausible. So I rotated them back and sure enough the sound disappeared though I could still detect it although very faintly. So I just left them that way.

I ended up selling the car before I needed new tires.

I don't see why the sound would be "worse" if you rotated them back. However why not drive them that way for a few thousand miles and see if it goes away and rotate them back if not.
    thanks much. that sound feasible to me. i had thought about that also.
  • rapriderraprider Posts: 42
    I swapped out the OEM Bridgestone tires on my 2002 Highlander about 3 years ago, at 45K, for the Yokohama GeoLander G051's and have been pretty pleased with them. I now have just about 90k on the truck, and have just started to look at new tires, leaning towards the Fortera TripleTreds.

Rap
    did you rotate them every 5/6,000 miles? did you experience any cupping?
  • nimrod99nimrod99 Posts: 343
    I had OEM bridgestones on my 2003 HL and they lasted for 29,000 miles
    I changed to Michelin LTX MS and got another 66,000 (changed them at 95,000 for another set of Michelin LTX MS)

The Michelin LTX MS handle great on dry roads, in the rain and on snow. Best tires I have ever had
  • I have a Highlander 2004.
    I just want to know- my Toyota dealership wants to replace my tires with Goodyear Integrity tires at $152. a tire. I said "no" after reading reviews. I think the Goodyear Triple Treds are considered better and they say they cost $190. a tire. Is it worth it?
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    I just bought the Triple Treds after finding out that they are snow rated. The OEM Toyo Transpath tires were lousy in anything but light snow. Sears sells the Triple Treds in Highlander size for about $150 and may have a sale this week.
  • Help me out here, folks. Time to get some new tires for my '04 HL AWD. I've read the reviews and they seem pretty favorable for this tire, plus not overly expensive. My priorities are dry and wet traction, road noise and comfort. Anybody else please throw in your 2 cents worth about them. I'd appreciate it. Regards, BGood
  • kenlwkenlw Posts: 190
    your ABS system may be malfunctioning. Simple dragging will not cause a lot of heat, you need to have some pressure being applied to make them heat appreciably.

A previous vehicle of ours (not Toyota) had an issue where one wheel would slowly lock up, eventually so tight that the car would not move and the rotor was actually glowing red! Turning off the car reset the controller and released the brake.

the root cause was the ABS controller was snockered.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,616
    G'day

I fitted a set of Yokohama Geolander HT/S to my Kluger twelve months ago and have been extremely impressed by their performance, particularly compared to the original Toyos which had worn out after 45,000km (28,000m).

I have now put about 25,000km (say 16,000m) on them and they are about 30% worn. I would estimate life at about 80,000km (50,000m) and there is currently no indication of degradation in performance to date.

Traction and lateral stability are excellent. They are excellent on dirt and particularly in mud where thay grip well and clear the cleats very cleanly. In Australia, we would typically use SUV's a little more off bitumen than in the US and I have been very impressed to date with off road performance. When mated to an excellent traction control system, as exists in the Kluger (Highlander) where it is interlinked to the ABS system, the ability to reach distant farmlands has exceeded a tractor with locking differentials under muddy conditions. However, this does not imply outright rock hopping ability which is beyond a Kluger's capacity.

On road performance is excellent although there is slightly greater road noise than the Toyos (the tread is harder) and this, coupled with the even tread block size, can lead to a very mild phasing effect on slight turns where the vibration from opposite tyres are rotating at marginally different frequencies, the harmonics shifting rhythmically in and out of phase. The effect is however imperceptible unless you search for it.

Performance under wet conditions on bitumen is superb, with excellent water clearance, certainly under torrential conditions beyond 110kmh (70mph) and superior traction on greasy roads.

They seem particularly well suited to the Kluger's stabilty control and braking profiles, markedly reducing the tell tales for loss of lateral stability.

I would strongly recommend them, but you should think about your own usage. This is an on/off road tyre, biased toward on-road performance. If your usage is purely on-road, a different tyre may be more suitable.

Cheers

Graham