Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Tires and Wheels

Comments

• mdhuttonmdhutton Posts: 195
    Bridgestone, Pirelli, Continental, Hankook and Michelin (to name a few, there may be more) all make a 255 / 55 R 19 tire, what are you talking about?
  • Bridgestone and Hankook do make 255/55R19 tires, you are correct. They are the Hankook Ventus and the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza. Michelin and Continental do not - at least according to their web sites. Pirelli did not show a choice like this on their site (at least not that I could find). I say this because when you use the "tire selector" feature for size for SUV tires, you cannot get a choice for a 19" rim in the 255/55 size. Having said that, the 255/55 tires are 31" in diameter, a gain of 0.4 inches over the OEM size. A 255/50 tire is about 0.7 inches smaller in diameter. For clearance reasons, I would think a slightly smaller tire would be a safer bet than a slightly larger one.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Posts: 195
    I searched by size at Discount Tire's website. That's where I found the Pirelli Scorpion Zero, the Pirelli ATR, Michelin Latitude Tour HP and the Continental Conti 4x4 Contact in addition to the Bridgestone and Hankook that you mention.
  • I liked your suggestion and submitted the following at the Toyota site:

"My 2008 Highlander Hybrid has 21,000 miles and it needs new tires! This is unacceptable and inexcusable. Like other Highlander Hybrid owners, I am now forced into purchasing replacement tires to ensure the safety of my family.

I am not alone in my disappointment and anger around this problem. It will only take one savvy lawyer to make this into a class action law suit and, when it does happen, I will happily sign up to fight Toyota for equipping their Highlanders with inferior tires.

Toyota MUST also do the right thing and compensate Toyota Highlander Hybrid owners like myself for tire replacements."
  • Try the Toyo HTs. They are the same size and I'm having very good luck with them. I have the 2008 Highlander Sport and I had to replace my original Toyos after 14K.
  • Way to go Mary Jo! Unhappy tire owners need to go beyond complaining here and take it to Toyota! I recommend a regular letter in addition to email.

Toyota is now being sued by shareholders who claim the price of the stock was kept articifically high by hiding the gas pedal problems. It is a class action suit.

Any lawyers own these 19" tires?
  • A one ounce letter to Japan takes $0.98 postage. Bypass the USA PR machine and go straight to the top.

Mr. Akio Toyoda
    President and CEO
    Toyota Motor Corporation
    Toyota City Head Office
    1, Toyota-cho, Toyota City,
    Aichi Prefecture 471-8571, Japan

Tel: (0565) 28-2121
    Fax: (0565) 23-5800

For the corporate web site, not the USA 'buy your car here' sales site, go here:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/index.html

To file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), use this site. They have a complaint form on line. You need the DOT identification for your tire found on the side wall near the rim after the letters "DOT" it is a combination of letters and numbers. It also helps to have your VIN found on your title and maybe your registration.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

The House Oversight Committe is holding hearings on the Toyota recalls. Add your tire complaints to their agenda. Email your representative in Congress. You can locate that person using this link.

http://www.contactingthecongress.org/

One of the best blogs about these tires is found at Consumer Reports. Read the article, then add a post like you have here. You can also scoot around the Consumer site until you find a way to send them an email -- it can be done from the site, but it is not obvious. The more people who directly contact them, the better the chance they will investigate and run an article.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/04/toyota-highlander-how-to-choose-th- e-best-replacement-tire-.html

A good complaint has these things:

The year and model of your vehicle.
    Where it was purchased.
    The name and size of the tire that is the problem.
    The mileage on the tires.
    Any problems related to the tires, such as skidding, near misses, collisions, etc.
    Anything you have already tried to get the problem resolved (visited dealer, etc.) and the result of that (e.g., nothing).
    What you want done about it (rebate $XXX, replacement).
    Emotions such as anger and disappointment should be mentioned.
    Threats to take your next car purchase to another brand are legitimate.
    Profanity will not help (although you may swear at the tires themselves).

:D
  • jer_wagjer_wag Posts: 1
    I'm so angry at Toyota right now and these junk Toyo A20's. It's March 2010 and still no good tires in 245/55 19's. I have 19,500 miles and they are seriously worn. With minimal snowfall I slid about 200 yards down a hill and almost wrecked with my wife and 18 month old along for the ride. I consider myself a cautious snow driver, but these tires break lose with minimal snowfall. I got AWD so I could go in the snow. The wife's Odyssey preforms better than the Highlander in the snow. So here are my options as I see them:

1) Get a new tire size (255/55-19). I don't want to do this. Computers on these vehicles are so sophisticated, I'm worried about what it will do to the gas mileage and overall performace of the vehicle. Toyota and many tire shops are leary of this as well.

2) Get the newer expensive Toyo HT's which are rare. How is the snow performance for these? I'm leary of Toyos in general now.

3) Downgrade to the 17" as you mentioned. Is this the wheel you used? Are you still having good luck doing this? At least I could have an OEM size tire in 245/65-17 with a little more rubber on the road.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
  • hlanderhlander Posts: 31
    Dear "jer wag"

I changed my tire at 18500 miles. I already called Toyo Tires and Toyota so many times and I didn't get any response except Toyo Tires agent sent me out to 3 different dealers and the claimed their self that they are not Toyo Tire dealer anymore.

The winter was very near at that time and I have baby girl whose enjoy the ride a lot. So I changed the tire for my family safety.

I report complaint to 3 websites including bbb.org and finally I got partial credit from Toyo Tire via bbb.org about 40% of my new tire purchase.

I have no idea about Highlander Sport.
    But for me, Highlander Hybrid, have no choice rather than to stick with 245/55 19" due to computer calculation input. I already discussed with 2 mechanics and they told me to stick with original tire size.
  • Greetings:
    Understand your frustration. I am in same boat. Maybe not quite as bad, but close.
    My experience is:
    If you switch to different tire size either rims or tire size, I have been told by Toyota dealership and mechanics that Toyota will void warranty if/when you experience any front end, transmission, or AWD issues. The likelihood of this happening might be "rare", but if it ever did and dealership noticed non-OEM tire size, you are OUT of LUCK for warranty repairs.

Next is computer recalculation: Might not seem like a big deal, but I also have been told the transmission is computer controlled and many other issues. In short, be prepared for weird shifting, poor gas mileage, and potential other issues if you go to 17 inch rims.

My tires (Toyo A20) lasted about 25k with frequent rotations and air pressure monitoring. I did replace them with another set of A20 because the HT were not available "anywhere" in early November 2009. Now for interesting part...

Very unhappy with A20 tires with 5,000 miles on them. Called TOYO about this issue and they told my tire shop to call them directly once I got to tire store where purchased. Tire manager discussed issue with TOYO and they offered to replace my tires with HT tires shipping from California. I too, experienced very terrible traction, poor snow conditions in Michigan with AWD, overall safety issues with spin out, etc. I will be paying for dismouting of tires and remounting of new HT tires on 03/06/2010 of original size.
    Also call and send letter to the National Highway Safety council as noted in this thread about the TOYO tires. Interesting item: TOYO is almost the same as TOYOTA.... go figure.
    IF you call TOYO, be patient but firm and tell them you are elevating the issue to Washington DC, just like the many other TOYOTA issues at present time. This is what I did and got some partial relief.. I hope.
    Good luck in your tire search.
    MICHIGAN MIKE.
  • Bad overall even on wet pavement. I imagine you do get some rain... Luck you ! No snow to contend with, but the A20 tires do not perform well on wet road either.
    MICHIGAN MIKE
  • bri719bri719 Posts: 6
    edited March 2010
    I didn't initially understand what you're saying, as my fiancee has the exact same car (2008 Highlander Sport) and just wanted to be sure which tires you're talking about that were original.

on hers, they've only lasted about 26k and then started to wear unevenly to boot, so I also had the car aligned after only that many miles which also seems strange. we previously had her tires rotated and I think they were also rebalanced at one point.

so are you saying the "Open Country" (A20) were terrible and only lasted 14k? so I should check out the "HT" instead? not impressed with what I've read about the Bridgestones, most people seem to hate them especially in snow (which we drive through for a few months out of the year).
  • bri719bri719 Posts: 6
    called Toyo today. in addition to the premature wear, lower grip than previous under wet / snowy conditions, etc, seems like our uneven wear that the non-Toyo dealer pointed out is due more to the faulty tires than bad alignment or anything else.

had the car in for the 15,000 mi dealer service (@18k) which was 8k ago, and they never mentioned one thing about premature tire wear or bad alignment. also, the car never pulls or exhibits other signs of possible alignment.

have an appointment to take the car to Toyo dealer in the next two days from now for inspection per their recommendation. car won't be driven much until then, we just have other committments to deal with. the woman already conceded to me that there could be something wrong with the tires and if so, they would offer some concession ($) on replacing them, without even much goading. I will definitely insist on the HT, and that they don't just replace them with another set of junky A20 or some other tire (unlikely, being that the only other is Bridgestone).
  • The OEM Toyo's on my 08 HL Limited were toast at 20k, replaced them with Nokian WRG2 255/55-19, I believe they are quieter and track better. Much, much better handling in the snowy, slushy weather we have been having. Cost about 1,100 all in including taxes and front end alignment.

I was a bit worried about switching sizes but so far I am very happy and glad I made the switch.
  • topdawgtopdawg Posts: 10
    Watch here for followup post. I have negotiated deal with Toyo for discount on replacement HT 19" tires. Am waiting for tires to arrive at tire store to make sure it really happens the way it is supposed to. Have your TOYO DEALER call 800-442-8696 and ask for Debbie or Candice (6:30 - 5:00 PST). You can get HT's even though they are in short supply if you go this route.
  • Greetings:
    To add to this message -- I agree and did the same process. I called TOYO and spoke with Candice. She in turn advised me to have my tire store call her directly and she provided a PO number and instructions for tire store to obtain tires (TOYO - HT). Tire store had them shipped in from California destined for Michigan. Got them installed last Friday and all is ok. Only thing I had to pay for was dismount and remount of new TOYO ---HT tires. So far,all is good and even have seen a modest improvement in MPG and quiet ride on vehicle. Hope these tires will last much longer with proper rotation and pressure checks...
    Good luck ! :)
  • gnowakgnowak Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Hankook will have 245/55/19 tires in 2 months. Discount tire found this out for me. I think they are Ventus AS and they are on the Hankook site.
  • Wow.....both my Highlanders (2005 and my new 2010) came with Bridgestone Duelers. I've had no problems. I'm sirry about your Toyo problems and glad I have Bridgestones!
  • topdawgtopdawg Posts: 10
    THERE IS HELP FOR YOU if you have early wearing Toyo A20 tires. Contact Toyo Tire at 800-442-8696 and ask for Debbie or Candice (6:30 - 5:00 PST). Toyo is offering a discount on a replacement set of Open Country HT tires in the 245/55R19 size based upon the mileage and remaining tread of the A20s. Toyo is using a 40,000 mile standard life as the basis for the A20 proration. With 23,000 miles and 4/32 tread left on my A20s, I got 30% off a set of HTs that retail for $200 apiece (typical price) so my price is about $140 per tire including lifetime rotate and balance. The HTs have a 60,000 mile tread wear warranty.

Because the HT 245/55R19 tire is in short supply, tire dealers will tell you it is not available. If you work through Toyo, not only will you get a discount, but they will "grease" the system to get tires for you (in about two weeks). You will need to visit a Toyo dealer in your area so he can measure the tread and call the 800 number for the discount authorization. (Toyo can help you locate a dealer - they are genuinely helpful).

I just got my new set of tires and they seem to be just fine for the first 25 miles. For what it is worth, the tire dealer I where got my tires said he had driven on a set of HTs and that they were good tires.

The A20 tires on new vehicles have been reformulated to wear longer. Do NOT expect your Toyota dealer to tell you about the Toyo discount program - the two in my area said nothing. Cut and paste this message and spread it around the internet to help others with this problem.
  • I put the Hankook's on my 08 Highlander. Bought from Discount Tire, and so far I have been very pleased.