Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Tires and Wheels

Comments

• I have one of those previous generation Highlanders, in AWD V6 Limited trim (not sure if that affects brake disc and caliper size). I know those Highlander came with either 16" or 17" wheels. I'm looking for wheels to mount snow tires, as the road salt around here in winter is doing damage to the factory 17's. Can the car use 15" wheels?

Also, are wheels from Honda Odyssey of similar vintage compatible? They seem to have the same bolt pattern. 15" and 16" tires are just so much more affordable and have so much more selections than 17" tires, especially when looking for all-seasons that have decent snow performance.
  • mkdorfmkdorf Posts: 10
    My new 2011 has less than 1K miles on it, but after reading this forum, I soon had concerns about my TOYO tires. I called TOYO and spoke with Debbie, who assured me that the new 2011 model has the new and improved version of the A20...called the A20A. This version supposedly addresses all of the concerns that the original A20 had and is constructed of a totally new compound. Debbie advised me that the tire should easily get 40K miles, probably closer to 60K depending on my driving habits and tire care. So far, the tire is fine but it's far too early to give this tire any praise. Hopefully they'll get it right this time.
  • Hopefully this Debbie knows what she is talking about on improved A20s. I just brought home my 2011 LTD. Toyo Open Country A20s. They do not say A20As.
  • ida4ida4 Posts: 1
    hey guys, I am just new in this forum and I own a 2008 Highlander sport that came with Bridgestone duller tires .I have 25000miles my car right now and tires are almost dead 4\32 in the center and 1\32 on the sides of the tires does anyone has this problem? i went to a few local dealer along with my warranty book and they said they won't replace them free or discount did anyone have this problem and how did you deal with it. I am in Massachusetts and i am taking a risk keeping them in this winter does anyone have any contact that you used to get replacement or to get discount on new tires just like to the toyo dealer?? please i would appreciated any response thank you
  • I don't recall seeing any posts about the Bridgestones--it seems to be just about Toyos. You can search back and look for some but hopefully others have learned whether Bridgestone will do anything and will post replies to your questions.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Posts: 195
    I too have an '08 HL LTD with the Bridgestones and they're just as terrible as the Toyos. My mileage and wear are similar to yours. There is no consideration from Toyota or Bridgestone that I've been able to find. I have ordered five (may as well do the spare too) Hankook Ventus AS RH07s from Discount Tire and was quoted a 3-4 week (early Dec) delivery.
  • I have an 09 Highlander Sport. Same Bridgestone. If you look on tire rack you will find this OEM for $177 I think. It states right there on the information page that there is NO tread wear warranty on these dueler HL we have. Sorry, your just going to have to bit the bullet and pay for a new set. I see Goodyear is now making one in the 19 inch size. Backordered. I to have seen my tread decline with only 11k on the vehicle. I'm switching to winter tires and rims today. Keep the HLs for the summer. Same price as replacing them and I still have a few good summers yet of tread. better traction anyway with dedicated winter tread.
  • bob259bob259 Posts: 280
    Don't over look the Toyo HT's. Since I had my A20's (a worthless tire) swapped out for the HT's I am totally satified with the ride, wear (hardly any) and over all feel of these HT Toyo's. I think the HT's should have been the first choice by Toyota. I give them 2 thumbs up.
  • bob259, do your Toyo HT's go in the snow? That's my worry. I see reviews that say they don't.
    As far as price and choices, try tire-easy.com or tiremonkey.com or vulcantire or treadepot.com. Still can not get them from tirerack.com. Special order.
  • bob259bob259 Posts: 280
    Had no snow yet, but I run the Blizzak's in the winter and just changed them over yesterday (have snows mounted on own set of wheels) But that said the HT's look like they would have handled the snow a lot better then the A20's and the guy at the tire place was impressed with them and said they shuold be OK, they are marked M&S, but like all marked that way they are marginal for a winter tire at best. The wife made a brillant statement years ago, (hard to believe but true ;) ) one accident in the winter will cost more then a set of snow tires when you add in the deductable and insurance increase for an accident.
  • 400e400e Posts: 41
    This is getting to be a really long thread so it's hard to keep up with - but a few pages back I gave my experience.

In short, the Toyo H/Ts worked GREAT for me in one of the worst winters I've seen last year. I never got stuck despite some really deep snow. These tires also seem so far to wear really well.
  • I am new to this forum, i bought a Toyota 2010 highlander with Toyo A2 open country tires on them. The tires are just absolute "junk". I have 2k miles on the car and the tread is already low. Quite a lot of wearing alSO. The dealer says that the vehicle came from Toyota in the same condition with these tires (I am appaled that Toyota has no standards or specification on the tires they put on their vehicles - and of course tires and/or tread quality is not covered under warranty). I am hating the tires already because of the noise level when driving on the highway. I recommend new toyota owners to check the tires before you purchase. Surely, I got mugged by Toyota - it is pathetic that Toyota puts cheap quality tires on their brand new vehicles. I have seen several others having the same experience with Toyota highlander vehicles and Toyo A2 Open country tires.
  • I bought a Toyota Highlander 2010 in September this year. I am experiencing a whistling noise due to wind blowing when i drive (mostly on highways, above 50-60 miles per hour). The noise is a whistling noise from the windsheild and from the left . I checked with the dealer , they said they had not seen any reports like this.
    anyone experienced the noise issue? It is loud, so loud that i can;t hear the person sitting next to me, while I am driving.
  • I had a problem with the Bridgestones. Replaced them at 35,000 and one of them was in really sad shape and the other 3 were past their prime. I replaced them with

Hankook Ventus AS RH07
    255/55R19XL 111V SBL

A little different size from the original. I have had them since April and Now that I've driven them in the snow, I love them. The Bridgestones NEVER felt good in snow (I actually got stuck the 2nd winter). I waited WAY too long to replace them.
    I have about 22,000 on my Hankooks and they are holding up well. They also come with a 65000 mile warranty. Something the Toyota supplied tires lack.
    Nice to hear the Hankook's are good in the snow. They are now also made in the OEM size of 245/55r19 as well. I ordered mine through Discount Tire and was supposed to have them by 12/10, but they're on national b/o right now with a 12/27 ETA...

Any issues with the larger width?
  • I am currently going through the same issue with my Bridgestone tires. Bridgstone says there is no specification from Toyota placed on the mileage. I'm looking at $200./tire for replacement. My Highlander is a 2008 and 29K miles and my tires are done. Not very happy.
  • I have a 2008 Toyota Highlander with the 19" wheels and had the same problem with the original equipment tires. I looked at all the recommended replacements and the only ones recommended were the Toyo or the Bridgestones neither of which were acceptable to me. The best replacement I found was the P255/60 R19 Michelin Latitude tire. This is a larger tire and the Toyota Dealer tried to tell me they would be a problem with clearance that could effect the turning radius etc. but he was wrong I have had them on for 15,000 miles and they ride smoother, get better traction in all road conditions and wear better than both the Toyo and the Bridgestone. The best plaace to get them is at Sams or Costco or if you have to go to a dealer call Michelin , their number in on the internet, and tell them you are thinking of buying their tires and they will send you a discount coupon for $70.00 /tire. Good luck . All the Toyotas I have had have been great except for the tires.
    Tire Rack now tells me there's a wait of 4-6 more weeks on the Hankooks. Seems all the ones in the 12/27 shipment are spoken for already. I've waited 2 1/2 years, what's 6 more weeks.
  • Any one had experience with these tires?Looking for good traction in snow when we go to visit in Syracuse.(72 " of snow so far this month) Any comments re:noise,ride etc. gratefully accepted. Thanks
  • 2old2worry2old2worry Posts: 10
    edited December 2010
    Tire rack blew me off for 6 months. Went to tires-easy.com and got them in 5 days for $183. Tiremonkey.com has them for $169 and Gripston.com has them for $188. Both plus shipping. Treadepot.com has more tire option. I like the Hankook's so far. They feel good.