Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Tires and Wheels

Comments

• Good deal and thanks for follow up on those tires...will be putting mine on in about one month...keep me posted as you drive about in your happy retirement years....Me too and love the freedom and ability to go tire shopping during the week instead of weekend...enjoy the black coffee, just don't spill any in that Highlander......will stay tuned for more feedback and trust I too, made good buying decision.....
  • only1eagleonly1eagle Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    John,

What Goodyear did you use and can you tell me what you paid? Im in Chesterfield and I have the EXACT same issue (Duellers wearing on the outside but center is still good)
    I am looking to replace ASAP as my wife just saw thread on one of the back tires.
    I like the reviews of the goodyear tripetreads and really want a longer lasting tire that is quiet! I dont get down to monument often but when I do I dont want to have it loud and to bumpy!

Chris
  • I took a road trip to Harrisonburg on the 30th to visit my mother at the nursing home and wish her a happy 88th. I didn't notice the tires and that's good; they performed very well. It's 263 miles round trip and I've done it regularly (usually weekly) since 2/07.

I have no complaints at all about the tires or how the car handles. I drove back from Harrisonburg with the sunroof open and a couple of windows partially open and didn't notice any objectionable tire noise even with the stereo off, but I was doing 72 to 79 because 80 is reckless driving in VA.

I used the store at Gaskins and Broad. Four tires cost me $1020.43 plus $69 for the 4-wheel alignment I agreed to even though the free alignment check said it was borderline just within spec. I consider it insurance, and I don't mean road hazard. That figure includes everything from mounting, balancing and tax to disposal fees. And $4.90 for shop supplies, but that would be there no matter who you pay to put them on.

An on line place I checked would have been $948 plus $51 shipping for 4 tires. Of course, it can all change if there are rebates involved. There wasn't one on the TripleTreds when I bought my tires, but one on line dealer is now showing a $20/tire mail in rebate.

The local dealers know what the net stores are charging. I even went in with printouts. :)

John
  • I purchased a set of 4 Goodyear Triple Treads in late June 2012, then drove our 2009 Highlander Ltd to the Yukon Territory of northern Canada, a 3400 mile round trip from Vancouver, BC. The tires had a chance to perform in virtually all conditions other than in snow. I was particularly impressed with the performance on muddy side roads. We drove at least 300 miles in these conditions, staying between the ditches all the way. The 4WD had to also show its stuff from time to time. I'm now waiting for winter here in Vancouver to see whether the tires can perform in the wet snow we often encounter.
  • I ended up going back to the dealer for new tires. I got the Yokahama Avid Envigor 245/55/19...so far so good (about two months now). No new nails collected, lol. The tread looks more agressive on these than those pansy Toyos I had as original equip. And yes, it ended up costing me about $1,100.
  • Greetings: Have you tried to look up tires in Consumer Reports Magazine to see what the ratings of this entity have to say about your tire selection? You can read the condensed version of most any item at local library in case you are not subscriber to Consumer Reports Magazine. Just as an FYI to you. Have read your items of most concern regarding tread life, etc. Falls into same categories as my recent purchase of Goodyear Triple Tred CS for my Highlander LTD -2008. Had these tires (Assurance) on a Pontiac Bonneville before I got the Highlander and they met all of my expectations as you noted in 1-2-3 above. However, for a tire to meet all of the stated items above, I doubt you will find them at less that $150.00 each. Maybe, if you watch local tire stores for rebates, etc. I got my tires from local tire shop in Michigan (Discount Tire) during Labor Day Weekend Sale plus they honored Tirerack.com price of 214.00 per tire. On top of that, Discount Tire Company had $100.00 rebate + $80.00 rebate from Goodyear Tire Company. So, at end of the day, I got 4 tires for $214 each (minus) -- $100.00 from Discount Tire (minus) $80.00 from Goodyear. Not too bad of a deal.
    Next would be these questions -- Do you drive in snow? How much longer do you plan to keep this vehicle?
    If you plan to keep vehicle, I would consider the tires to be a long-time investment in my a). safety b). handling and fuel efficiency (rolling resistance) and c). quiet ride. Other poster put the Goodyear tires on his Highlander and believe he too, has experienced same results. I have the Goodyears installed for about one month and so far, very satisfied. No snow driving yet, but plenty of RAIN in Michigan. So, consider the tires to be an investment in your driving enjoyment and safety...
    Happy motoring.
  • krb1krb1 Posts: 15
    I have TOYO tires Open Country A 20. They have close to 60,000 miles on them. I asked the dealer to change them before winter comes. The dealer refused stating that they still read at 6-7/32. I seriously doubt it. They look pretty worn out to me. I suppose to get "free" tires for life as long as I own the car (that's why the dealer part). My question is - is it really possible to still have this much tread on after 60,000 miles? I tried to purchase a tire tread gauge but could not find one. I do rotate the tires every 5,000 miles.
    When I took the car to an independent mechanic his gauge read 4/32 - big difference. I am going back to the dealer tomorrow, and need a strong argument. Please, help. Thank you.
    BTW, how much does it matter to measure the tread in the middle of the tire versus to the side? The sides are pretty low. :confuse:
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,029
    Even 4/32nds may not be worn enough.

"According to most states' laws, tires are legally worn out when they have worn down to 2/32" of remaining tread depth." (TireRack)

TireRack also says "If rain and wet roads are a concern, you should consider replacing your tires when they reach approximately 4/32" of remaining tread depth." That link also shows you how to measure the tread depth.

If the dealer still balks, then you may want to write the owner a letter outlining your safety concerns.
  • I have read most of these messages. I am trying to choose between 1. Yokohama YK580, 1 review I read of these said comfort, but not so great handling & CReport not too good. 2. Goodyear Assurance Comfy Tred, 3. Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred, both GYears had fairly high rating on Consumer Reports.

Any experience on these 3 choices would be appreciated. I am buying a new set soon. Live in Mid Texas region, so no snow.

Thanks
  • My experiences for Highlander tires are:
    A. Stay away from Toyo. Stock on my 2008 Highlander Ltd. was Toyo A20. Junk tires that did not last very long, real bad on WET roads. When wore out at 24K, I had no choice to get TOYO H/T because my 2008 Highlander had 19 inch tires.
    These lasted ok, but not stellar. Wet roads just so-so. Michigan Winter, not too good.
    I now have Goodyear Assurance CS tires on vehicle. Been VERY happy with them so far. Comfortable ride - good grip on wet roads - seem to handle high speed and cornering pretty good. I had Assurance tires on a Bonneville a few years back and they were good tires, so I went with these. I have heard from dealers the Comfy Tred + Triple Tread were former styles.. This one is called Assurance C/S and has quieter tread design compared to former styles.

I would also imagine it does boil down to one other important factor --- How long do YOU plan on keeping vehicle? Tires are big/expensive investment and you can pay lesser money and get lesser quality tires -- OR -- you can buy better quality like the Goodyear tires and pay a bit MORE for them, but get better results and longer lasting tires that are quieter-better handling - better fuel efficiency - better on wet roads. Mine are Goodyear Assurance C/S - 19 inch and have them on vehicle for about 4,000 miles so far. Happy with the purchase and will see how they handle when Michigan Winter arrives. Hope this helps and happy shopping and safe driving.
  • I purchased a set of Firestone Destination LE's 11,000 miles ago. I'm very happy. good ride,quiet and good traction. Had them rotated yesterday and the tech listed the tread as 10/32. I think that is what they came with. I am still waiting to see what happens in the snow. Paid $784 for the tires plus mounting.
  • Re: my 2010 Limited and the two-month-old Goodyears.

Late Saturday night the low pressure light came on, so I messed with it Sunday and couldn't get the reset button to do anything after I adjusted the tire pressure to 27 in all 5 tires. Three of the tires measured 27, the right front was 31 and the spare was 25. I don't know why, did someone at the party mess with it? Nah. I figured Goodyear was aiming for 27 when I bought the new tires 7 weeks ago. It was actually chilly Sunday morning and I was parked in complete shade fwiw.

Yesterday I gave up and went to Goodyear after lunch to ask for advice. The man on the desk said he used to work for Toyota. In about 2 minutes they had all 5 tires up to 30 pounds. When he started the car the light went out. He never touched the reset button and added that you should seldom (ever?) need to reinitialize the system.

Oh, and he told me that the light will come on if one tire is off by a single pound. So how did my pressures get so out of whack without the light coming on? Hmmm? I hate computers.

John
  • I can relate to your quandary about the tire pressure sensors. My 2008 ltd. had same issues with pressure being off a tad on one tire or another and idiot light coming on. Put a bit more air pressure in one or all of the tires, pressed the reset button underneath the steering wheel and light went out.
    Now comes the new Goodyear tires. Have not installed them yet, but have them in garage ready to install when winter arrives. How do you like the ride, gas mileage, etc. of the tires so far?
    Regarding the sensors - Tire store wanted to sell me a so-called rebuild kit with some sort of gaskets and other stuff they sell. My mechanic told me to have them install stainless steel valve stems like "olden day" cars and forget about these stupid sensors all together. Reason for sensors are for those folks who DO NOT take a tire pressure reading periodically and is nothing more than a nuisance to those who do when fueling vehicle or when your trusty oil change guy checks the pressure for you. Anyone who spends a bunch of CASH on tires should have enough gusto to check pressure on regular basis anyhow. I do, especially during temperature changes in my area. Thus, I will be omitting the sensors and installing stainless steel valve stems to prevent against corrosion in salty roads in winter around here. Let me know how you like the Goodyears so far....
  • I like the tires a lot and I'm very pleased with them so far - drove 300 miles on the Interstate Thursday, but there wasn't much traffice and it was all clear weather. I might not be the best person to ask about tire noise because I like loud music and open sunroofs and I ruined my hearing during the '60s and '70s.

I used to do a lot of surf fishing and own a digital pressure gauge and a fairly expensive one with an 11" flexible hose. When you need to be at 10 or 15 psi to drive on the beach you get good at putting air back in. I completely wore out an '86 Subaru wagon surf fishing the Outer Banks. It took 14 years, but rust finally ate the front sub-frame.
  • I saw 2old2worry's comment about the Firestone Destination LE's, and wondered whether anyone else out there had experience or concerns about them? I checked Tire Rack and the people who have them seemed real happy, but a small sample of 25 or so and I didn't see anyone who had them on a Highlander. They seem an awfully good bargain and am wondering why more folks aren't using them.
    Ideas?
  • I can not believe no one else has responded. I now have 15000 miles on the LE's and 1 good snow fall. They worked good in the snow and I am very pleased with them. May be some one else will reply.
  • I've had these tires on Toyota Highlander LTD (2008) 19 inch wheels since December, 2012. So far results have been favorable in the snow and sleet and slush we have encoutered in MI. Drove on them thru bad storm to Chicago area right after Christmas and they held the road good across the turnpike.
    Quiet running tires on dry pavement - hold the road good on wet pavement - and track thru the snow good. Only complaint is gas mileage I am getting with theses tire. Past mpg was 18-19 city driving -- 21-22 on expressway-toll roads. Has fallen to 16.5 in city and can only achieve 20 mpg. MAX on long road trips. Don't know what to say about that aspect.

Even though tires were a bit expensive, I did get a Goodyear rebate of $80.00 on a set of 4 when purchased. Other than decreased fuel mpg. I've been happy with the set of 4 put on my Highlander 08 (4WD) LTD. 19 inch wheels.

So, it probably boils down to: If you plan to KEEP vehicle for awhile, why not put a GOOD set of tires between YOU and the Road. If not keeping vehicle and plan to trade/sell, then go with cheaper options.
    Mine has been running very good with no complaints. I see Highlander did get very good reports as vehicle of the Year for 2013, so it all can't be that bad... right?
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 371
    edited February 2013
    Many posters on another Toyota Owner specific forum state that the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas for the Limited are great All Season tires. The OEM size for the tires is 245/55-19 but the Alenzas come in 255/55-19 which is what they are having installed. They state that it is no problem to have these slightly wider tires on the original Wheels. They are highly rated on the TireRack website and are apparently great in the snow which the OEM Toyo's are not. I have a 2012 Limited AWD and when it's time to replace I am definitely going to consider them. I may even replace them sooner because we travel in snow country for my College Son's Indoor Track season which begins in Mid January.
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Posts: 71
    edited April 2013
    Just thought I would check in after 8 months of replacing my OEM tires. I got the Yokahama Avid Envigor 245/55/19. The winter was mild without a lot of snow but the couple of inches I drove in one day was a good experience. No noticeable slipping and sliding (I am not a crazy driver either, lol). They have been great in the rain/wet roads too. And so far I have not collected any nails like those dog gone OEM tires did so easily. I can recommend this again.