Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Tires and Wheels

Comments

• I'm in northeastern Massachusetts near Nashua NH. No straight roads and warm winters here. So I'm astounded as well. Your AWD would maybe cause a bit faster wear. But 18K versus 51K for the same tire??
  • Does seem odd that yours went as far as they did. May have been a different tire batch that was bad. I had a problem with a vibration in the car and I do think it is related to the AWD. Dealer can't find anything wrong with system but I still notice the vibration at 75 to 80 mph. If these tires don't last, I am going to have a long chat with Toyota. The vibration is on record under warranty so will be interesting.
    I suspect I will never get the kind of mileage you got out of your tires due to the AWD. Good luck with your next set. I love the Highlander. Never owned a better car.
  • my_mr2my_mr2 Posts: 23
    Not yet... I am still having a hard time deciding weather to go with the Kumo Solus KH16 or Goodyear Assurance ComfortTred tires. As I said, I am looking for a quite tire that will give me good fuel mileage. Snow tires are the way to go in WI....
  • Where is the tire jack located in the highlander 08 limited?
  • ronnronn Posts: 398
    It is in the back to the right under the back floor mats. There is a section you open up there on the right. It is in there with the lock nut etc.
    Sorry... I ment to say I use snow tires in the WI winters, but I am looking for Summer tires. Has anyone used Kumo Solus KH16 or Goodyear Assurance ComfortTred tires? I am looking for a quite tire that will give me good fuel mileage.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 470
    I decided last week on the Yokahama Geolandars. Various tire people assure me there should be no reduction in gas mileage versus the Bridgestone Duelers. I'll report on this after a few fill-ups. They were about the same price as either the Bridgestones or the Comfort Treads, and somewhat less than the Michelins.

The Bridgstone Duelers btw are available at the independent shop I used. Found out they actually are rated at 60,000 miles. So my 51,000 isn't anything spectacular. Getting only 18,000 from them would indicate a problem either with the tires or with something else that affected tread life.

I went into the shop thinking about the Michelins mentioned by several in this forum, but decided that the ride would be too different (those are rated heavy truck & SUV). I thought about the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread, but the tire shop didn't think they would provide the bite I was seeking on wet pavement. If you have 4WD they likely would be a good choice and would provide a very nice ride like a typical upper-end passenger car. My Geolandars actually are rated 'light truck.'

After a week I like the ride. It may be a bit firmer than the Bridgestones, but it's hard to compare worn tires with new ones. The Geolandars definitely provide more bite on wet pavement than the Bridgestones ever did, even when they were new. They also seem to have more capability on snowy slush, but it's an all-weather tire and in my case on a FWD vehicle so it won't perform like a snow tire.

Decreased fuel efficiency would not make me happy, so I'll let people know what I find in another few weeks.
  • cabinjjcabinjj Posts: 11
    I think you will be happy. Have the Yoko's on my truck and they are great. I will be watching to see the mpg.
    Thanks herzogtum71.... I also have the Duelers, and use them as my good weather tire, but I will need new tires by May. The Duelers are Okay, but still looking for more comfort, and better fuel economy for the long trips we take in the summer. Traction is not that important for me, as the Dunlop snow tires I use in winter are very good. You will have to let me know how you like the noise level at speeds over 60 MPH, and how smooth of a ride you are getting?
    Cooper Discovers are most noisy around 35 to 45. At higher speeds it is not that noticeable. They are an all season tire so hence the noise I guess. If I used winter and summer tires, I would be seriously looking at the Michelins for summer. Just my thoughts. Years ago I put speed rated Toyo's on my 92 Cutlass Supreme and replaced Michelins. Biggest mistake I ever made. Toyos were stiff and made the car way too firm. Cornering and all aspects of Michelins much better. There are so many tires out there now it is hard to know what to get. This forum may be your best resource to find out what other people have put in Highlanders and the successes or failures they have had.
    I haven't really noticed a difference in noise level, but I also wouldn't say the Bridgestones were the quietest tires I've ever had. I haven't driven yet for extended stretches at high speed with the Yokahamas, but I have taken a couple of short test runs on the Interestate getting up to 75+ mph. As with cabinjj's experience with the Coopers, noise level seems most noticeable at somewhat slower speeds.
  • ronnronn Posts: 398
    Most of the 08 Highlanders in my area have Toyo tires. I am not a big fan of them. You mentioned Michelins. Do you find them to be more quiet than the Toyos?

Has any one else decided to switch out the Toyo tires for something else?
    My only experience with Michelins was on a 92 Cutlass Supreme Coupe. In the early 90's the 16 inch tires on cars started to appear. The Michelins were a speed rated, low profile tire and they were great and very quiet. The Toyo's I replaced them with were comparable in ratings but a hard tire. They were quiet but way too firm for my liking. I just hear that Michelins are popular. Find some Michelin men and women out there and ask them their recent experience with Michelins rather than taking my advice. I just regret not looking at them instead of the Coopers which are noisy at lower speeds. I keep hearing oem tires are junk no matter what brand. I have no data to back it up, just experience on several new cars. Does it make sense that tire manufacturers might mass produce lower quality tires at a lower cost for car manufacturers? There must be a tire expert out there who can dispute my gut feeling. Please do!! I would be delighted to hear the same Bridgestone tires that came on my 05 Highlander were lanquishing on the shelves of my local tire dealer. LOL
    I just drove from Massachusetts to Evansville,Indiana, via the same route as a year ago. I came back a different route, so I'll report mileage only for the 1100 miles on the way out to the Midwest.

March 2007 -- Bridgestone Duelers (tires that came with the '04 FWD 4-cylinder Highlander but tread still passed state inspection earlier in the month):
    (1) tank in town prior to trip -- 245.9 miles -- 22.8 mpg
    (2) via Taconic Parkway and Interstates to just northeast of Evansville -- 25.9 mpg

March 2008 -- Yokahama Geolandars (new in February)
    (1) tank in town prior to trip -- 246.2 miles -- 23.0 mpg
    (2) via Taconic Parkway and Interstates to just northeast of Evansville -- 26.0 mpg

It's hard to say how close the mileage is with the two sets of tires. Driving speed would not be much different, but average temperatures may have been a bit colder in 2007 than in 2008. In 2007 I had two passengers for 4/5 of the trip (each maybe 175 pounds) while in 2008 I was by myself but with more cargo than the previous year. In 2007 the trip was pretty much precipitation-free, while in 2008 I had heavy rain for about 2 or 3 hours.

Consider it to be virtually the same mileage with the new tires?
  • webgoodwebgood Posts: 95
    Herzogtum...I've been waiting for your appraisal. Can you give your subjective impressions of the ride smoothness and noise, as well as any handling responses (wet/dry, cornering). I'm looking at possibly getting some soon. Thanks! Regards, BGood
    I'm pleased with the handling. Cornering may be a bit stiffer than the Bridgestones. Wet traction continues to impress me as better than the old tires even when they were brand new. I saw a lot of rain (8 inches in 30 hours), but no snow on this trip. Drove only once before the trip in snow, but not much of it. It was enough though to notice an improvement over the Bridgestones.

Road noise was most noticeable on barely damp blacktop, either just as rain was beginning, or after it had stopped and almost all the water had evaporated. Otherwise it was noticeable to about the same extent as the Bridgestones on certain surfaces. Lynch Road in Evansville (off of I-164) is the major example, which is noisy in any vehicle because, I think, of how the concrete surface was poured. Not exactly grooved, but something similar.

I think road noise in general is about the same as with the Bridgestones. The Highlander with either set of tires is quieter than some other vehicles I have owned. One bit of evidence for this is that I listened to a German radio play on cassette tape a couple of times during the trip. I had bought this many years ago, thinking it would help pass the time while traveling. But road noise in a '79 Honda and '87 Chevy Nova was so great that my wife and I couldn't hear a good percentage of the play well enough to make out the words. No such problem this time.

I believe I mentioned before that the ride seems to be a bit stiffer than the original tires. I prefer a bit of stiffness, so I'm happy with the ride.

One tire to avoid might be Hankooks. A friend of mine in Indiana just put a set of their all-season radials on his Subaru Legacy wagon. First time I rode in it he asked me right away if I liked the aircraft noise. I asked him if he had a hole in his muffler or exhaust. That's what it sounded like to me, but it was just road noise from these tires.
    Thanks Herzogtum! I was specifically looking at the Yokohamas as they get very good survey results and reviews on TireRack, even better than the Bridgestones.
    I'm glad my comments were of use. My apologies for misspelling the brand name. It is Yokohama with the second vowel being 'o'. I also have noted that Geolandar is often misspelled in on-line forums, but the last two letters are 'ar'.

When I bought the tires in February, there also was a 30-day money-back guarantee offered from the manufacturer. If that still is in effect, you have a way out if you buy them and really don't like them for some reason.
    Update on Hankook comment.... The main reason for road noise likely was a faulty wheel bearing. Now that this has been repaired, I'll ask for a report on noise level next time he goes on the road.
  • I am one of the few people who like the Goodyear Integrity tires. They came OE on my 2003 HL and I now have 35,000 on them and I should reach 40,000. These tires have never needed balancing and they are not noisy. I live in the low desert of So Cal where it rarely rains so road conditions are not a factor. I plan to buy another set when the time comes, $80 each at Walmart, Where am I going wrong?
  • newtexannewtexan Posts: 1
    Hi - I should warn you I have overresearched and overanalyzed this topic already and posted in 4 forums before finding this one! I am so TIRED of thinking about this, I just want to make a decision!

I bought this 2002 Highlander 2WD in April when I moved to Houston, Texas. Had only 39K miles on it (so it seemed gently driven) and 41Kish now. It will never go off-road if I can help it and I prefer "regular" streets to highway driving. The dealer told me the tires should get "15 to 20K more miles" but that's not how it turned out. I went to a Discount Tire to get one tire patched when I discovered two nails in it -- he told me the front tires "definitely" need replacement (I did the "quarter test" myself later and they do fail it) , and since the nails are in a rear tire, I'm going to replace all four.

But which ones????? I started out convinced to do Michelins -- either Cross Terrain or LTX. Then I got interested in Goodyears -- (not the OEM crappy Integritys on there now) -- but perhaps the Fortera TripleTred or Assurance ComfortTred? (I was all hepped up on the Fortera Silent Armor but it apparently does not come in my size -- 225/70r/16.)

I've read all the Tire rack reviews, been to ToyotaNation, talked to a Michelin phone rep (who told me the Cross Terrains were being "replaced" with the Latitude Tour and I should wait till mid-August to buy them...????)

My priorities are traction on wet roads (snow/ice not a fear here in hot Houston, but the approaching Hurricane Dolly rain certainly is) -- and as quiet a ride as possible. I don't want to cheap myself out, but I don't want to spend top dollar either. I'd like to form a "relationship" with a place that I can keep going to for balancing and rotating, and oil changes, etc. There are Discount Tires and NTBs near me, closest is a Goodyear facility. I'm assuming -- correct me if I'm wrong -- that a Goodyear dealer is only going to push Goodyears and not any other make. I plan to ride the Highlander to death (i.e. keep it several years) so I want GOOD tires on it, not just the cheapest I can get away with. I'm not working right now so I don't take a $700+ purchase lightly.

Also...should I pop for the Road Hazard policies? As I now have two nails in one tire, it does resonate with me ...

THANK YOU for all advice and reading all this! Speedy replies most appreciated!
    Look at the Kumho Solus KR21 or Yokohama Avid TRZ, best buy for the $$$ I am still torn as to which ones I am going to get by May of 09, but will jump on the first rebate deal that comes up...... Friends and family have had tried both them on mini vans and Suvs, and they love them.. Either one will do the job well...
    I've had the Yokohama Geolandars now for over 4 months (2wd '04) and still am pleased with them. A friend of mine just bought a new RAV4 and it came from the factory with Geolandars. I find this odd because, when I was looking for tires, my dealer didn't carry them.
    Just ordered a set of G051's for our '04 AWD from Tirerack. The reviews on their site looked pretty good. Any others here, please chime in with your experiences. 'herzogtum71'...you out there? cabinjj? homershannon?Thanks! Regards, BGood
  • One of my many sisters bought a new 2006 Highlander, 2wd. They have always complained of some noise in the back that nobody could ever find. This thing only has about 30k on it, and she is the original owner. She had a left rear blowout one day last week, with a very strange hole in the tire, that resembled a bullet blast from inside the tire. I was moving the tire from the back hatch to the garage, when I felt something big and heavy rolling around inside the tire. After breaking one side of the tire, I was able to retrieve what looked like some type of self threading body bolt. It was a sort of green, about 5 inches long, 1/2" diameter, with a large washer head on it. The head must have wedged it self against the inside of the steel wheel, and when she simultaneously hit a pothole, it blew a hole thru the tire like a grenade. The bolt was quite scuffed up, and by the looks of the thing, it has every characteristic of any object that would have been rolling around the inside of the tire for 30,000 miles. She has called Toyota, and they have never called her back, not that anyone on the phone would believe her, and she is reluctant to call an attorney. I think they at least owe her a set of tires. Anyway, my question to you is; "have you ever heard of this, and how often does it happen, and I wonder if it was some sort of factory sabotage, or resentment on the part of some employee?
  • If everything works good, and then you have trouble within 10,000 miles, then you need to go back to Toyota original pads. It sounds like you have a heat and dust build-up problem due to non-compatible materials in the pad composition. I know this sounds a little far fetched, but I can tell you this from personal experience. Having owned quite a few Toyotas, and 3 of my current 6, have between 200 to 350k, and I do have one with a little over 500k, and that one has only had the calipers rebuilt once, and the master cylinder and lines are original. I learned a few lessons about 10 years ago with aftermarket pads, and since I went back to oem pads, things have been problem free.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    The only thing that should be inside a tire is a valve stem base and a tire sensor monitor. The bolt--from your description--seems too large to be part of the tire sensor monitor unit.
    I have a 2005 Highlander 2WD with the 225/70 -16, and use snow tire in the winter.

I needed fair weather tires, for Hwy use only with fuel mileage, comfort, and noise as the priority. I ended up with the Kumo Solus KR21.

I like the price (under $120 installed for each tire), the warranty (80,000 miles with road hazard), and the noise levels. Oh and they are way better that the O.E. tires.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • I just bought new tires for my 2006 Highlander and the tire store suggested putting 235 tires instead of the 225. Does this make a difference? My Toyo seems to drive very different with no play whatsoever in steering.
  • I am not sure what affect this may have on your Toyo. Larger tires may change speedometer reading to be off just a little. I live in Montana where we drive in a lot of snow and ice in the winter and I have noticed ice and snow build up between the rear tires and springs. Larger tires would mean less clearance but probably not be a big deal. I think larger tires cause speedometers to read slower mph. I noticed a 5 mph difference on a truck I put larger tires on. I was going 55 on speedometer but 60 actual speed. Yours might read 2 to 3 mph off. Someone out there might have exact difference. Not an expert on this for sure!! If it drives and handles well, you made a good decision to go with larger tires. Only time and Toyota will tell you if larger tires will affect drive train, transmission, AWD, etc.