Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Security System

2»

Comments

• I have a 2006 gas Jetta. The remote key entry does not work. Last night, I opened the driver-side door with the key, then tried to open the trunk prior to unlocking all doors and the security alarm went off. I could not stop the alarm and had to close the driver-side door and trunk to get it to shut off. However, now I'm unable to start the car without the security system going off.
    Does anyone know what I should do? Do I need to re-set the security system somehow?
  • tdivatdiva Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I left my lights on on my 2002 Jetta TDI about a month ago and had to get jumped off. The idiot who jumped my car off reversed the cable ends and made a big spark. When he put them on the correct way my car started right up but every since then, periodically my horn beeps continuously and my lights flash too. After turning the key in the lock a few times it would stop but now my car won't start. The radio, AC, and lights still come on. But then there's the flashing and beeping still? I had the battery tested and its fine. When I remove fuse 14 (as instructed by a certified mechanic ) the flashing and beeping stops. Anybody know what is REALLY going on here! I was also told it could be the control module... if not the whole thing, the "part" that connects with the starter. Please help!! Oh and I forgot to mention, my inside locks don't work properly either. Sometimes the main lock will lock ALL the doors and sometimes it won't. This also holds true for the trunk release. The keyless entry won't work now either.
  • Hey All,

Here's my problem in short: If the car doesn't arm itself (i.e. the chirp/beep doesn't occur when you lock the doors, though the doors are locked) the next time I attempt to start my car, it will work for a bit (about 2 city blocks) and then shut down. It will not start again, and only when the car decides its good and ready to "arm" itself (i.e the chirp happens) and I wait 10 minutes, does the car start, no issues, and everything is A-OK.

Information about my car:
    2000 Volkswagen Jetta, probably the 2000.5 version, its the newer style body. The driver side door was knocked into by a ConEd van a while back, but before I owned the car. The doors close normally, and everything works save for a whistle when driving on the highway with the window down.

I've read about it being door sensors, but is there anything you know to help "reset" the alarm so it will arm itself again? Any other possible causes? Thank you for all your help!

PS if this is in the wrong forum I apologize, this is my first post. Thank you once again!
  • I have a 2008 Jetta, when I lock my doors with the key the anti theft horn alert no longer sounds. Is this a fuse or sensor? I was told it is housed in the trunck, is it a simple fix?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,081
    If one of the door sensors was misbehaving, I would expect the 'door open' display on the dashboard would tell you. Since you did not mention any lights on the dashboard, I would have to assume the doors are not the issue.

Do not forget that both the HOOD and the TRUNK also have sensors. If either of these are 'sensed' as not being closed, then the alarm will not arm.

Also, I believe there is a 'trunk open' lite on the dashboard and it is not lit.... so perhaps the only thing left you need to check is the HOOD sensor.
  • Hey!

Thank you for the response. I actually got the car fixed, turns out it was something called the "comfort control module" when that breaks, the car didn't think it was armed, and then wouldn't allow me to turn the car on because the system was fooled into thinking someone was stealing the car!

-crimsonashes
    Glad to hear you got it squared-away....

BTW: The "Comfort Control Module" in my Jetta is also known as the "Seat Heaters" - LOL
  • Behind your light toggle switch there is the security control module. You can bypass the ignition cutoff by bridging the wires that control the shut off for your starter. There are two wires look- up the electrical diagram for this module and you should be good to go. I want to say bridge the ignition wire going in with the starter kill switch wire. By bypassing the module your doors and trunk security will still be active. I just went through that with my 97. I was going to put a new module in but it is no longer made.
  • isaurapink24isaurapink24 Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    I bought my 1999 VW Jetta at a car lot and after purchasing the car the HOT TEMP GAUGE was all the way hot but not overheating nothing it just said it and the lights on the back didn't work so i left it so he can fix it. well i haven't had it a full month and the lights were not working well it was the fuse blowing. then when i would reverse the car and turn the will it would shut off!! then i took it back and said nothings wrong then i was at my daughters school and i tried starting it and NOTHING! lights and radio everything works even windows but didn't turn over or even make a sound so i jumped it STILL nothing :( !!! so i got a new battery and i started back up then it work fine i put my old battery back in (cause the other one was my moms) she fully charged it and when she put it in worked!! then this last time on new years i tried to start it and nothing jumped it still nothing everything in the inside besides windows work and when i went to turn the key to start it the lights in the car and headlights turned off!! ugh!!! :mad: i don't know whats wrong with it i towed it back the car lot and he said he will look at it and when i called him the next day he said the problem is the alarm he has to disable it that's whats causing it not to start?? could it be??? :confuse: but when i got the keys it look like it was missing the alarm buttons so never knew if alarm worked. PLUS my door don't lock and when i did lock it from passenger side it locked and i couldn't open the car even with my key!!! had a lock smith open it!!! HAVING ALL THESE PROBLEMS AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT COULD BE!! HAVEN'T HAD IT FOR A MONTH OR EVEN DROVE IT THAT MUCH!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME ! :sick:
    Some VWs of that vintage fell victim to the "coolant migration problem". The worst-cast scheario was a total electrical failure. Lets hope you did not purchase a VW which was affected by this problem.

As for the alarm-system causing your issues - It is possible that when you bought it, you did not get the proper keyfob that controls the alarm. It is also possible that some of the microSwitches inside the doors are flakey. this can really confuse the alarm-system (ie... door is sensed as OPEN and CLOSED at the same time, or LOCKED and UNLOCKED at the same time)

Personally, anytime I negotiate the purchase of a used vehicle, I INSIST that all the proper keyfobs are made available or no-deal! Most used-car dealers will agree to this demand to close a deal.
  • The car key was missing the whole button section he just gave me the key it look like something was missing i asked about it and he said it has alarm but i didnt know if i really needed it and if the alarm work it has a red light flashing but no sound or anything my car dont unlock or lock with the key so if i lock it on the passengers side and try to open it with my key it wont do nothing but the car lot guy said it was the alarm making it not work or start i just dont know?
  • I know you posted this a year ago but I just got a 2004 Jetta and my anti theft doesn't beep/chirp either when I lock my car with the fob, I was just wondering if you ever got it to work and if so how? Thanks!!
    Dont forget that ALL the doors plus the hood and trunk must be closed for the alarm to 'arm'

Also be aware that it is not uncommon for the microswitches in the doors to become troublesome. This can send implausible signals to the computer. (Door open and closed at same time.... etc.) The computer responds by simply not arming the alarm system.

Connecting laptop to the computer-port can diagnose the specific problem.
  • gluedkegluedke Posts: 1
    I have 2011 Jetta SEL with keyless start. On four occasions car has not recognized key and would not start. Dealer in San Antonio (Freedom VW) unable to repair system. VW tech support could offer repair fix. Taking car for second opinion. Antone else experience this problem?
  • i have a 97 MODEL and i have the same problem have you had any luck ?
2»