Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Turbo Issues

So my guage spikes past 190 going up hills and at long idle. Mechanic replaced the waterpump and thermostat -- then fan sensors gratis, when that didn't help.

A quickie oil change place fouled the G12 coolant several years ago with green stuff... I replaced the coolant with new G12 about two months ago, and the problem soon started.

I'm wondering if running bad coolant could have corroded the radiator and caused this problem... Strangely, when I run the heater to cool the engine down, it sometimes blows cool air, even though the engine is hot... Might circulation through the radiator be an issue?

I'm also wondering if -- even though I don't have oil and coolant mixing, or power loss -- if an exhaust leak through the head gasket is causing the problem. The mechanic I usually rely on -- not the dumba** who did the water pump -- seems to like that one.

Anybody have any ideas?

--Danny F.

Comments

• www5www5 Posts: 4
    This sound similar to what we have been fighting for months.
    Our mechanic pressure tested the engine and found no leaks. This is what he thought he would find since he has had very few problems with head gaskets. Our last fix was to replace the radiator core. To date that has fixed the problem for 2000 miles. Our mechanic said the passages in the radiator were extremely small.
  • If you drove the car with the mixed coolant - even for a short period of time, chances are the damage has been done. The mix of green and G12 coolants formed a gel-like substance in the cooling system passages of the engine, radiator, heater core, and associated parts.

All of that stuff has to be flushed out of there. At best, the damage done will be minor, such as a radiator or water pump replacement, and at worst, replacement of the heater core or your engine may be required (the latter two are very labor $$$$ intensive)...

In the future, have your minor service (oil changes, etc) done by the dealer, and major repairs done by a qualified private VW mechanic.

...and stay FAR away from the quick lube places!

Good luck...
  • Was your coolant brown and mucked up at one point?
  • I have the same vehicle and just uncovered the similiar issue. I had a slow leak after taking my passat to a quick lube oil change. Car appears to run fine and is not overheating, but the coolant is brown and mucked up. What does that mean?
  • I recently took my Passat to the dealer to have the rightside cv boot replaced and some recalls (passenger side seat heater switch, driver side seat heater). Now, water is leaking in on the floor of the passenger-front side. I pulled up the carpet and the floor was soaking (and yes, the stench gave it away and was the cause of the investigation). I poured water down the windshield and noticed water coming in from behind the dash. Has anyone had this problem? Is it coming in from the seal of the pollen filter. I'm a little suspicious b/c I never had this problem until after I got my car back from the dealer.

Any advice is very appreciated. -Thanks
  • We had this happen in our 1998 Passat on the passenger floor. (I was sitting in the passenger seat when we made a left turn and water dumped on my feet - there went those shoes)

It was a clogged drain in the area in front of the windshield where there is a grill. Leaves and such get in there and clog it - then it fills and over flows down in the passenger compatartment. (It is called the cowl in our other car - not sure if it is standard term)

We had body work to be done and the guy cleared out the leaves and such and cut a few extra drains in it for us. Hasn't been a problem since.

Good luck
  • zorro3zorro3 Posts: 5
    I originally posted this as a reply, but reposting it here so that its in the correct category.

I have a 2000 Passat 1.8 Turbo which started billowing out a huge cloud of white smoke from the exhaust with an oily smell. Taking off the intake hose I found a small amount of oil on the inside. There has been no recurrence of that smoke bomb or oil smell for three days, and the car has run normally. A mechanic informed me this would certainly point to bad turbo seals and I should replace the turbo but I am a little suspicious of that analysis since he didn't inspect anything other than the hose.

I am no means a mechanic and i plan to take the car to VW since they presumably have the equipment to diagnose this. I was wondering if the oil residue in the hose could be related to crankcase ventilation and whether the white smoke could be a defective oil cooler or other factors than turbo seals.

The oil was about three quarters of a quart overfilled which may have something to do with it; I intend to get another oil change.
  • From what I gather, this lube joint might have mixed standard glycal alcohol coolant (the green stuff) with your pink Volkswagen G12. If not flushed soon, you'll end up in the same rabbit hole I just climbed out of. After replacing the radiator, water pump, thermostat and rebuilding the head gasket, I'm $3,500 poorer. The combination of the two liquids forms a gel that blocks up the cooling system.
  • prop3prop3 Posts: 1
    MY 2002 Passat 1.8 Turbo recently developed this same white, oily smelling cloud of smoke coming from the exhaust pipe. The first time this happened, it was very cold (5 degrees F) outside. The problem went away later that day when the temperature warmed up outside. There was no problem for several days after. Then, again on a very cold morning, the same cloud of white smoke, that smells like oil! I have parked the car, waiting for an answer from anyone, and warmer weather. This sounds similar to your problem. Have you had any responses? A would appreciate any suggestions, thoughts or comments. Thanx.
  • This happened to my passat twice!! as well, on cold mornings after the car had been sitting overnight and I had driven more than 50 miles the day before. There were three days between those two incidents where the car was driving normally. I have asked an independent VW mechanic and the dealership who believed I had no serious engine problems such as bad valve seals/valve guides, rings, head gasket, or turbo damage since otherwise I would have continuous problems, not just one or two isolated incidents. Some oil residue in the turbo intake is a normal thing for these cars and not an indication of bad turbo seals.

I added Sea Foam which cleans contaminants out of both fuel and oil systems (its also an anti-gel) and the problem hasn't recurred since then. It can be used in the throttle body and intake manifold but I didn't attempt that. (Seafoam recommends you do an oil change fairly soon after using it)

The other day my car was in the shop for a timing belt change; a vacuum compression test on the car came up normal.
  • I had this problem but on the driver side. It resulted in a lemon law suit. The problem was finally resolved at 150 miles left on the warranty. The cause was the engine housing module seal needed to be replace. It took 9 months for 1 of 2 different VW dealers to figure this out.
  • h8passath8passat Posts: 3
    I have the same problem - drivers side rear footwell fills up with water. Cause does not appear to be battery drain or pollen filter housing. What do you mean by engine housing module, and how much did it cost?

thx.
  • i have this same problem - a drain needs to be cleared- there is a recall that you have to do - i set up appt to ge mine done in conjunction with another issue that might involve ignitor coils or MAF -

for leak i know pollen filter has to be changed b/c of spore build up and leak can get into a manifold area around wheel
  • My 99 Passat (1.8L) has a new turbocharger and I have test driven it for 3-4 miles and stopped back to the garage. While it was still running to "cool down" I popped the hood and the tubocharger itself was glowing pretty good. Does anyone know what an acceptable temperature should be? If it's too hot, what could be the problem? I tested the oil supply line and the coolant supply line. Both show positive flow rates... Thank you for your help..
  • Are you using a motor oil that conforms to VW specs (hint: all are synthetic)?

Other than that, if you popped the hood right after driving the car at high speeds, the turbo could get hot enough to glow. That's why its a good idea to let the engine run for a couple of minutes before shutting it down to allow for the temperature to stabilize.

Check the engine temperature gauge. The needle should be dead center (190 degrees) F.
  • Thank you for your help, Brian
  • I am contemplating buying a Passat or Passat Wagon, but I am getting conflicting information about using premium fuel vs. regular fuel. One dealer told me that it was acceptable to use regular fuel because there is a sensor in the engine that automatically adjusts the engine/fuel consumption. Another dealer told me that using regular fuel will lower fuel mileage (makes sense to me because that is what happened when I previously owned a car that used premium fuel) and that the turbo would be damaged by the regular fuel. Both cannot be correct...or maybe they are both wrong...or does the truth like somewhere in between?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    1) It is acceptable to use Regular fuel but not recommended.
    2) Regular fuel will have absolutely zero affect on the turbocharger. Period, full stop, the end.
    3) Running low octane fuel in a 2.0T will cause the ignition timing to be retarded so much so that at wide open throttle, the maximum power output will significantly reduced.
    4) Running low octane fuel in a 2.0T will cause the ignition timing to be retarded so much so that at any given cruising speed, the fuel economy will be reduced to the point where you'll end up paying more for fuel for any given distance traveled than if you use the recommended fuel.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Thanks. Appreciate the information. Sounds like neither dealer was quite right....
  • 2002 1.8t passat.my car overheated and dumped all the coolent.when i removed the filler cap the resovire was full of oil. called the vw dealer and questioned the service manager about a headgasket problem he says its most likely the turbo since the car is not smoking or running rough. i removed both the oil and coolant lines from the turbo and there is oil in the coolant port.since the dealer is 500kms away i have to do this job. so would this be a seal replacement or a complete turbo job? new turbo is 1250 bucks. or would you know where i could get mine rebuilt?tks roy