Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Edge

2»

Comments

• mark19mark19 Posts: 123
    I test drove an Edge, S-model, base model. the handling was decent, but what can you expect from a 4000lb vehicle? ;) It soaked up the bumps well, the steering I do wish was a bit tighter. This car was more of a cruiser, instead of a curve-taker. I think for 80% of the population out there, this will be a comfortable vehicle to own. I have heard Ford will be making a "sport" version available and that they're working on it. That should account for the other 20% of the market.

To me it felt like the Murano in ride quality.

The driving position was very comfortable. I agree with others in that the front seats have to be the most comfortable Ford has had in A LONG TIME! Very supportive and the right amount of cushion! I didn't want to get out!

Fit and finish was equal to Toyota and Honda. If not a bit more solid. Some of Toyota's latest models, are a bit thin in the doors. These doors had a nice "thud" when closing. I like that.

Engine was responsive and no throttle lag like Toyota has on some of their vehicles. Also, I commend Ford on this engine, I can see why it was in Ward's ten best engines for 2006. Very smooth, refined. Ford definitely has been doing their homework (about time)!

Transmission - 6 speed was smooth, but i felt that the shift points needed to be a bit more pronounced. I like to know when the car is shifting, it helps me know what gear I'm in.

I only wish Ford would get rid of that UGLY green illumination and go with something less "1980's" and get a nice blue or white. Other than that, I think Ford, if they keep on this type of engineering or better, should be good for the future.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    ICE BLUE (tm).

Bet you can't wait!

Mark.
  • mark19mark19 Posts: 123
    Oh really? Ice blue illumination. Now we're talking. Good news!

Hope they also are working on upgraded brakes as well. Would like them to be a little more sporty :)
  • efb1efb1 Posts: 1
    Chris, I get it and I wish you did as well. These statement you write are your opinion and with opinions comes biases. It is clear you have many. I own a Toyota and a Saab, I wish the American auto industry the best, but I buy what's in my own best interest. I wish you could see your biased opinion for what it is. An inflated Ford Fusion..lacking any cutting edge style.. sorry I think it looks pretty good.
    Criticizing the RSC system because it limits the ability to push the vehicle to its limit is stupid.

Comparing the price points of a loaded EDGE to another's base vehicle is shortsighted.

The US car industry was bad for many years. It's ashame that writers are still to biased and fearfullnow to write an objective, even handed review.

Cheers,
  • vicenacvicenac Posts: 229
    This review speaks volumes about Ford in general. My 2005 Ford Freestyle is exactly as described here. Almost, but no cigar!
    I don't think Ford is recovering. It's the culture inside the company. And that's hard to change. Goodbye Ford.
  • I have had my edge for a week now and in my opinion it is as good or better than anything in its class.The new v-6 and trans are as smooth as silk,effortless acceleration up to 90, what else do you want.Fit and finish are as good as can be.Brakes are more than adequate as is the overall handling. Mileage so far on 400 miles is 21.1 combined.TO all you toyota lovers you better give this vehicle a look cause its as good as it gets.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The Edge doesn't have Toyota's throttle lag because Ford has adopted a variable displacement ATF oil pump so as to provide high volume ATF pressure/flow with the engine at idle but no excessive flow at higher engine RPMs.

With a FIXED volume "gear" type oil pump such as Toyota uses the capacity/volume MUST be minimized in order not to overheat the ATF at higher engine RPMs. Minimized volume results in the inability at idle to provide sufficient pressure/flow for two sequential gear changes.

The new (~98??) Toyota shift pattern/schedule might require an upshift with any lift-throttle event, especially a FULL lift-throttle event in order to prevent engine compression braking from interfering with ABS or even resulting in loss of directional control if the roadbed is slippery enough.

So if you happen to re-apply throttle just after this upshift sequence begins then with the engine now at idle there may not be enough ATF pressure/flow to complete the required downshift quickly.

Toyota's solution was to adopt DBW, e-throttle, to delay the onset of engine torque 1-2 seconds, "to protect the drive train", until the downshift can be completed.
  • kmausskmauss Posts: 74
    Hello! I'm new to this website and these boards. I'm very casually looking at new SUV type vehicles with no intention of rushing into anything, as I have a perfectly good paid off car in my posession, though it's getting a little "long in the tooth." I have not been to a Ford dealership and actually looked at one of these yet. They look interesting at a glance, but like many people, I am very leery about Ford's reputation. So this is an all new engine? Or has it been used in other Ford cars? I'm a little confused on that point. I would like to hear from folks who have test driven/ and especially bought one. Many thanks!
    all totally new.

If it helps, go take a look at the Ford Fusion problems/solutions board...OH WAIT THERE ISN'T ONE!

Mark.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,740
    The 3.5L is all new but it's just an evolution of the Duratec line which has been very reliable for many years in a lot of different vehicles. The transmission, OTOH, is also brand new and was jointly developed with GM so it's more of an unknown. But you do get a 5 yr/60K mile powertrain warranty on the Edge and 6 yr/70K on the MKX.
  • kmausskmauss Posts: 74
    Mark and akirby -- thanks for the info on the engine. That helps clear it up. I did take a brief look at the forum on the Fusion and I do not see hardly anyone complaining about the engine, so that's a good sign. I'll keep checking back here and some time when it warms up (I'm in the Northeast) I will go test drive one and see what I think. (and post my thoughts.) Thanks again. Karen
  • I have about 800 miles on my edge and I have to say this new engine and drivetrain are as smooth as silk with power to spare. I do believe its the sweetest engine ford has had in the last 30 years ,including the yahama built SHO engines.Put this motor in a 3500lb. vehicle and it would really scoot.
    A "new" engine without DFI is already obsolete.
    The "new" engine supports DFI (assuming you mean Direct Injection) and there are running prototypes using it now with Twin Turbos. How many production engines have it today?
    The problem with DFI is that it reduces low end torque. Americans LOVE low end torque. Mazda turbos their 2.3L DFI to add back that torque. (See the MazdaSpeed6 with 270+ hp from 2.3L)

Ford will turbo the 3.5L also, take a look at the Lincoln MKR concept. (CLICK HERE) for an article about this cars engine.

This engine is producing 118hp/L.

Mark.
    I haven't seen any evidence that Direct Injection reduces torque.
    Many of the DFI equipped engines use it in conjunction with SFI, no torque lost there and 10% improvement in FE.
    its the Turbo that saps the low end torque and the DISI that adds it back.

Sorry.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    Yeah, well except the Fusion uses a different engine and transmission than the Edge. Fusion 3.0L, Edge 3.5L though the bigger engine is based on the design of the smaller one.

From personal experience, the 3.0L Duratec is pretty bulletproof. I have one in my Lincoln LS. 80K and runs like new with $0 maintenance except oil changes.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,589

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,923
    kind of like what was written, it makes sense in terms of the 'way forward' plan. :P
  • heyjewel, Thanks for clearing up the Fusion V6 conFusion. I've heard the 3.5L V6 is really a clean-sheet design. The old 3.0L was originally a Porsche design, and the 3.5L may indeed use some lessons-learned at Ford from the 3.0, but there aren't any shared parts at all. Glad to hear the 3.0L is bullet-proof, since I've got one in my '05 Freestyle and love it. The 3.5L V6 must be good because it won an award from Ward's Automotive editors. But what are the Edge fans doing? Buying Edges? Come'on, just get a Freestyle for more usefulness and better MPG. Stop messing around with the Edge, a CUV that doesn't quite cut it.
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Posts: 877
    You're not out-accelerating Corvettes, Mustang GTs, or SRT8s with your 4500 lb Edge, even with an air charger and nitrous. Get real. The kind of cylinder pressure needed to beat those cars with your V6 would blow the head bolts off or shear the differential gears, or both.
    "The 2013 Ford Flex, which debuts next week at the 2011 Los Angeles Auto Show, gets a rounder look to "modernize the design," said the Dearborn automaker. The 2013 Ford Flex goes on sale in the spring.

"It was about modernizing the design," said Angie Kozleski, a Ford spokeswoman. "It's a fresher new appearance. We rounded out the boxy edges.""

2013 Ford Flex Loses Hard Edge (Inside Line)

2»