Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Sport Trac - IV

Comments

• tractiontraction Posts: 141
    If you use the side step bars a certain way they will not get in your way.

When entering the driver's seat, put your LEFT foot on the step bar, grab the steering wheel, then enter the vehicle, the step bars should not get in your way.
  • bennbbennb Posts: 143
    The only diffence in sound system is that the tweeter and mid-range are separate components up front. Two in EACH door up front (4), two in back (2), and one subwoofer.
  • jpt4jpt4 Posts: 2
    I have had my sport trac for about 5 mos. now I like it but I think ford has slipped with quality a little. I have owned 1 ranger, 2 explorers, & 1 f150. The sport trac seems to have more minor prblems that I need to go to the dealer for repair. I have had most of the problems listed here & a couple extras. Has anyone felt that this vehicle has a vibration throughout the vehicle at around 57-62 mph. also has anyone noticed spots on the rubber trim outside windows.
  • First of all some ST's are going to have more problems than others...Mine has none...The spots on the window trim will go away with time...After 5 months and 20 or so washes mine's all gone...I'll admit I thought the spots were here to stay...
  • Just got my free chairs and Swiss Army knife
    yesterday almost two months to the day from when
    I bought the Sport Trac. Now I have four chairs,
    Ford gave me another set two years ago when I
    bought my 1998 Explorer Sport and they are still
    going strong after a lot of use.
    3500 miles and still no problems, other then I wish I had the limited slip axle. It was the only option I didn't have.
    The other day it was raining and I started up
    quickly at a stop light and ended up lighting up
    the tires on the wet road. I didn't have that problem with my 98 Explorer Sport because the 4X4 would kick in as soon as it detected wheel slip.

Ken
  • tractiontraction Posts: 141
    I have had my ST for 7 months now and have close to 10,000 miles. I have had NO problems. The truck is still tight and rattle-free, runs great, and shows no sign of wear. The engine is strong and the transmission is super smooth shifting. I am more than completely satisfied with my ST.

I never received any free chairs or knives.
  • Like many other posters here, I bounce back and forth between this site and the yahoo club. THis morning, Yahoo says the SportTrac club is gone/deleted.

What happened??
  • After lurking at this topic for a long time, I'm ready to ask a question before placing my ST order. I will likely keep the ST for many years and as a flatlander I don't require 4WD now but may in the future. I am having trouble deciding between 4WD and 2WD (both with limited slip diff.) Any comments concerning driveability or gas mileage would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • I, too, am a "flatlander." I don't go off-road (at least on purpose). I have a 4WD w/limited slip. I just drove my ST in the snow for the first time. In 2WD, even with limited slip,it tends to be a little jumpy. It drives like a pickup truck. But when in 4WD, it's solid as a rock. Very predictable. I'm sure 4WD will affect mileage, simply because you are moving more weight. And 4WD's have more stuff that can go wrong and need to be maintained. But 4WD's hold their resale very well (at least where I live.) Bottom line, I'm glad I got 4WD and would opt for that choice again. And I love the vehicle - does just what it is supposed to do and a blast to drive.
  • I lived in Wyoming and Colorado for years with a Dodge Monaco and put on chains when absolutely necesary and never needed 4WD.

I've lived in NC since 82 and have had 2WD SUV since 85. Have never regretted not getting 4WD.

It adds to the maint costs, the weight, reduces performance and will impair your MPG.

IMHO
  • When I opt to purchased my ST I looked at during the 4WD thing again. I replaced my 4WD Ranger with my ST and during the whole time I had my Ranger I never had to use or take it off road. As others had mention, with 4WD there is a maintenance factor to consider. So to me it was a waste and I averaged around 13 to 14 mpg. With my 2WD ST I'm getting about 18 mpg. For what ever it’s worth unless you need 4WD I would go with 2WD. You can still the height with a 2WD buy getting the Sports package adding the 16 inch wheels. My opinion only.
  • I recently bought an ST as well and after owning a 95 2wd Explorer XLT I knew that my next would be 4wd. For me it was about resale value. Of all the options that you pay for on a car, 4wd holds it's value. Take a look in an NADA guide. It's tougher to sale 2wd vehicles in the used market in my opinion. Since you plan on keeping yours this may not be a consideration and wasn't at the time I got the 95. But the fact that you will be keeping it for while means that there will be more instances where you wish you had gotten. Maybe you'll be at the beach, maybe a freak snow, maybe some trail riding once the vehicle is older. That's my experience. More people regret not getting 4wd than those who wish they had not gotten it
  • Thanks to everyone for the quick responses to my question about 4X4 vs 4X2. I've decided on 4X2 with limited slip differential. The added gas mileage and reduced maintenance made the difference. Thanks again.

David
  • Out here in Vegas their are a few taxi cabs which are Sport Trac's. I have spoken to the guys who are driving them as they pick up or drop off at the hotel I work at. One has 50,000+ miles on it and the other one had 70,000+ miles on it. The drivers really like the ST. Their still running strong. I have seen a 2002 Explorer as a taxi. The most impressive thing I have noticed is the door handles and the closure of the doors. Sounds like closing the door of a Lexus. Very nice! I think this is an area Ford should have considered in the ST. Beefing up the weather stripping would be a plus and most likely eliminate the wind noise we hear around or doors. It would be great if Ford came up with an over the counter package of weather stripping to add to the doors. Well anyway thats a few thoughts. Great site!
  • zderfzderf Posts: 44
    Mine is now 7 months old with 5300 miles. Most is well except for the mileage... 14 -15 no matter what. My 1998 Explorer EB V-8 would get upwards of 20 on the hiways, and 15 around town. Ummm. What's up?

I've also got a funny sounding buzz from the front console area at certain RPM's (1800 - 2200 or so). You can make it change volume with slight throttle changes. Strange.

And now, my fuel door is starting to rub. I always felt good reading posts about that problem which I never had until now.

Where is the woofer actually located??

Thanks

Zderf
  • Subwoofer, located in rear behind the Drivers side passenger rear compartment.
  • I see a lot of ST's in the lots with this: "422-California emissions" listed on the invoice. I know California is tight on these standards. Will this effect performance? Why would this be on a ST in NJ.
  • Has anyone been charge with a "Ford assessment" fee? I place an factory order and they say this is require for every buyer. It's $ 190.00. Or is this another profit tool from the dealer. Help.
  • What ?? An assessment fee ?? What will they think of next ... on second thought, don't answer that. What are they assessing, how much the consumer can be hood-winked ?!? I would ask for WRITTEN details of this assessment fee, then tell them that if they want your business to waive it; don't let them use it as a bartering tool. Just remind them that it's your money & you can spend it at one of their competitors if they really want to keep 'blind-siding' you...
  • Thanks for the warning. I will pick mine up this week and be prepared for the "assessment fee" which was never mentioned during my three hours of negociations with the salesman. It took more than a half an hour to persuade him we would not pay a $295 D&H fee.
    Next we will probably be assessed a "recount fee" to help Ford count the number of recalled firestones. By the way mine came in with firestones contrary to a written agreement. The dealer is now busy looking for replacement tires.
This discussion has been closed.