Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Tires and Wheels

Comments

• bigelmbigelm Posts: 995
    I was told by some that the gold wheels will NOT look good on Black Cherry, or any color for that matter; I beg to differ ;-)

I've been getting alot of compliments.... anyway, I'm very happy with them :-)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The pics seem to be hosted somewhere that requires a login. They aren't showing up, at least for me.

Why not post them on your CarSpace page and then display them from there?
  • Help!!!!
    My sister just purchased a very well kept 1997 Mercedes S 320.
    Can anyone tell me which tire would have the best grip and quietness to suit this car?

:mad:
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Try asking in the S-Class discussion and/or in the Tires, tires, tires topic.
  • My 2006 MS6 chewed up 2 sets of front tires in 3400
    miles. Dealership and service rep don't know exactly
    what to do. Other Mazda 6s with 18" wheels have had
    problems as well according to the service manager.
    They're putting another set on tomorrow and trying
    to change the alignment specs, but without understanding
    just what is going on. As this is supposedly the final
    fix, I hope they chew up also so that the lemon law will
    kick in and I can get my money back. Mazda North America
    will now stand by their word nor behind their product as
    I've discovered. Goodbye and good riddance Mazda...

-ticked off in Alabama...
  • joe131joe131 Posts: 972
    Interesting!
    Keep us posted.
    The speed6 looks so good I want to buy one, but if it has problems and Mazda won't back it, then its off my list.
  • Local Mazda dealership changed the tires on 3/15 to Michelin
    Pilot. Rear differential changed as well... So far, for
    the 2K miles I've driven all is OK. They suspect problems
    with Bridgestone's tires, but I suspect alignment issues.
    I'll keep the car a year and dump it. No more Mazdas, but
    mostly because of their customer care, or lack of it...

-bob
  • mazdamaxmazdamax Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 MazdaSpeed 6, and with 6,000 miles the tires are half gone. I'd like some info on replacements with less tread wear that won't affect the handling too badly, and without too much expense. I'm living on a service-connected disability, so price makes a big difference. I'll drive my truck in the winter, so snow tires aren't that big a deal.
  • gotocalugotocalu Posts: 2
    Ready for first rotation on '06 Speed6; 3300 miles;
    DOES ANYONE KNOW THE MM SIZE ON OUR LUGNUTS? As the tires are directional, front to back & vice versa only? (no criss-cross)? Also, found a good low profile jack with a saddle that won't mar the undercarriage? Replies are greatly appreciated.
  • Took my 2006 Mazda 6GT to my independent mechanic in Cleveland, Ohio, this week for a 10,000-mile check up. Got a lube, oil, filter change and a tire rotation. Mechanic reported this week my 18" Pirelli tires, rotated first at 5,000 miles, are cupping. Says it could be a suspension problem, or a tire problem. With the car's mileage so low, he suspects its not the suspension (he didn't notice any problems with the struts).

Anyone else experienced this problem? Did it turn out to be a tire problem or a suspension problem? What was the outcome?
  • It actually is the suspension even tho there is technically nothing wrong with it. Go here http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=72653
    for a pretty good description. There is a lot of other good info there as well.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    I have cupping at 10,000 miles on Michelin 17" tires on my 07 i GT.
    Dealer blamed low tire pressure. :sick: Pressure was at 30 psi and the weather had just changed 30 degrees F lower temp. from when I checked the pressure the week before.

Tire pressure is NOT the cause. :mad:
  • I have just passed 20K on my speed6 and the original tires look like they have another 15K+ in them.
    Has anyone priced the Bridgestones yet? I'm planning ahead.
    I've read about tire wear problems but I sold Mazda's for school money and the real problem were brake rotors.
    at 35K they're gone and most are not turnable. Check your rotors and if they show wear that does not appear normal go to your dealer and don't leave until he gives/free
    rotors and pads. Mine were replaced at 14K.
    Suggestions for a different tire would be welcome.
  • I'm keeping mine at exactly 38. At 20K they still have a remarkable of tread left
  • zavfejzavfej Posts: 13
    After some research, the oem tire (also a Potenza by Bridgestone) came up slightly higher in ratings on the Tirerack and other on line tire sellers, but they were twice the price. I use Dunlop M3's for winter (in north western NJ we can get lots of snow) and went with 225/45/28's - perfect fit and handling. I bought the Potenza SE-01's in the same size, and the rear tires rub over large humps in the road if there are passengers in the back seat - adult passengers.
    My advice is to buy these great deal tires if you can find them, but try to get 215/45/18's. For snows, the Dunlop Sport M3 cannot be beat, and the slightly larger tire made no difference at all.
  • tiaegertiaeger Posts: 1
    Regarding tire wear, I'm somewhere in the middle with my Speed6.

Here's my story.

I've been driving for close to 40 years. Lived in southeast PA all my life. Several times have driven several hours though blizzards, so I know a bit about snow driving. Despite my incredulity, the dealer said I'd be fine year round with the summer tires.

A month after I got my 6, I found myself in a two inch deep snowfall and that fifteen minute drive with the summer tires was the closest I've ever been to needing a change of underwear after driving. It accelerated fine, but turning and stopping were a whole 'nother issue.

Two days later I had a set of P-Zero Neros on it. At about 8,000 miles on the P-Zeros, I noticed the fronts were wearing pretty evenly across the tread, but cupping. I took it to the dealer who checked the alignment--OK, of course--but found all tires were at 34 PSI instead of the recommended 38. The dealer put four more pounds of nitrogen in them and rotated them front to back. Since they were all at the same pressure, I assume the tire dealer either didn't know the Mazda spec or wanted to save my kidneys with a softer ride.

At 5,000 miles on the rotation (13,000 total on the tires), I noticed uneven tread wear on the fronts. The outsides were taking a beating, so I had the dealer look at it. He expressed concern that they were wearing so unevenly and checked alignment again. Perfect, again, so I left the tires where they were, which, in retrospect, was an error.

At 10,000 miles on the rotation (18,000 total) the fronts are pretty much shot. The middles look like they'd be good for 10,000 more miles, the inside edges for half that, and the outside edges, especially the right, look like they'll be showing cords in 2,000 miles at their current deterioration.

Figuring I have nothing to lose, I X-rotated them today, hoping they'll all wear out together and I'll come up with a better plan next time. I doubt that the rears--the tires that got torn up when on the front--would pass inspection now, let alone in November, 3,000 miles from now.

What bothers me is that on two occasions the dealer was so concerned about the wear, cupping first and unevenness second, that he had the alignment checked at no cost to me. Now he's saying that I'm lucky, that the 6 is a performance car and performance cars chew up the soft tires and, besides, most people aren't getting even 12,000 from a set of tires. The final bit of advice was: Rotate them more frequently and Go Away.

I'll be checking back here in a few months to get more feedback about the suitability of 225-40's and everyone's experiences with the wider selection of tires that size offers.
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Posts: 211
    My MazdaSpeed6 has 25.5K miles on it. Currently I still have the original tires on it, but they probably only have about 3K miles left on them. I immediately bought a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960as (all season) tires which I use in winter and which I will put back on about early November. The summer tires are definitely just that. The RE960as are in size 225/45-R18; they fit well and perform very adequately. I live in Colorado, above 7500', and take the car to go skiing. Ideally, for ultimate winter driving, it would be nice to have two sets of wheels and some winter specific tires.

Conclusion: I have had no tire problems. The original tires can be expected to last about 15K miles. Perhaps you need have a different dealer look at your problem.
  • hi all, i have a 2008 m6 and need to change out the tires for the season, question is, is this something that my mechanically-talented boyfriend can do? any advice on disconnecting the fancy braking system before taking off the tires? thanks for your time.
    Holly
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    If you're going to put on winter (or new) tires on the existing rims, you should be fine. Different tires on the same rims will not affect the TPMS or ABS systems in any way.

If you're putting on BOTH different rims and tires, you have three choices:
    1. You can swap the TPMS sensors from the old rims to the new, then mount the tires and install back on the car.
    2. Install new TPMS sensors on the new rims. But then the car has to be taken to a dealer to program the TPMS system with the new sensors, or:
    3. You can install the new rims/tires without the TPMS sensors. The only disadvantage is that the TPMS light will flash for the first 30 seconds after you start the car, then stay lit. This happens every time you drive the car, until the original rims are re-installed. Doing this does NOT affect the ABS, or any other system on the car besides the TPMS.

Hope this helps.
  • bill202bill202 Posts: 4
    My daughter has a speed 6. She took it in for service and they told her 3 of her 4 wheels can't be balanced because they're bent. Is this possible? There is no visible damage and she has not hit anything. I'm thinking maybe its the tires.
  • rdm925rdm925 Posts: 46
    I will have to replace the OEM tires soon on my 07 6i 5-door at 65,000 miles. I also saw the same tire tests and reviews at Tirerack. I like the test results, reviews and price of the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 and they are available in my size of 215/50-17. The local Belle Tire chain's prices beats Tirerack's. I can't complain about the original Michelins, although they are also a bit noisy, but I don't want to pay there prices.
    Does anyone have another opinion :shades:
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I agree about the OEM tires, they are not worth $200 a piece.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    edited August 2010
    STAY AWAY from the OEM Michelins. There are plenty of other tires that offer more traction, are quieter, and last longer, at half the price.

The 'tomos are a good choice.

May I also recommend the Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V) as well? They've tested very well in Tirerack's latest testing, and I can recommend them, since I'd put 25K miles on the previous-gen Yokohamas (the Avid W4S) before selling my '04 Mazda6, and they were simply outstanding. VERY quiet on the highway, excellent dry and wet traction (no hydroplaning), and there was still plenty of tread left for another 25K miles.

Also check out the Goodyear Eagle GT. They've also tested well, and have gotten good reviews, at a bargain price.
  • rdm925rdm925 Posts: 46
    Thanks, for the replies. I will have to replace the OEM's by fall and you are right the Michelins are good but not worth the price on my budget plus from what I've seen plenty tires, such as the Tomos and Yokos are very good tires.. Also, Belle Tire's price for the Tomos have been creeping up by couple of dollars a tire every other week lately. :shades:
  • zoomz10zoomz10 Posts: 4
    2010 Mazda 6 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 400 miles

Hi,

I just bought a 2010 Mazda6 Touring. The ride is very, very rough. Yes, I know it has a sport tuned suspension, but the car I purchased seems to ride very differently from those I test-drove. Every little thing in the road feels like I'm slamming into the ground. The seats also seem loose (just tapping the back of them with my hand shows a lot of play in the entire seat). The result is a very uncomfortable ride. The headrest hits the back of my head after each slight bump in the road, not just once, but it actually bounces off it a few times. Ten minutes in this car gives me a headache! I passed up the car I really love, the Mazda3 (fabulous car!), in order have a smoother ride for myself and my passengers. Now I don't have the fun of the M3 or the smoother ride of the larger sedan. What can I do to improve the ride? Any tips on how to get the dealer to address this issue?
    Thanks
    What size wheels does it have, did you test drive one with the same size?
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 797
    When vehicles are shipped, they frequently overinflate the tires to prevent flatspotting. The pressure is supposed to be lowered to spec before delivery - but sometimes this doesn't happen.

So check your tire pressure. If you don't know how, not only would this be a good time to learn, but it ought to be part of your routine maintenance checks - like checking and changing the oil.

BTW, the proper tire pressure can be found on the vehicle tire placard - and starting in 2008, it should be on the driver's door!
    The tires on the car are P215/55 R17. I did not look at the tires on any of the test drives, but I did wander back to the dealer's lot on Sunday, to take a look at the car I had test driven. Couldn't find it or any Tourings on the lot. I test-drove the Touring specifically, as I had knew I should drive the same trim line that I planned on buying.

I have heard that getting a "taller" tire may help. But by how much? And what will I be giving up?

I think a lot of my problem also stems from the seats being 'loose'. Anyone else have that problem with the M6?
    Thanks,
    I checked the tires - they had 36 psi, and are rated for 32. Is that enough to make a difference? I set them all to 32, so I'll see how that changes my ride home from work.
    Thanks!
    The i Touring comes with 17 inchers, so they should have been the same on your test drive.

Have you had the dealer check out the seat to see if they agree that it is loose?