Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Tires and Wheels

13»

Comments

• zoomz10zoomz10 Posts: 4
    I wanted to see if anyone else had the same problems before I took it back to the dealer. I thought it would help if I could see what other people were experiencing, and what they, or their repair shop, did as a fix. I've compared the seats to my old Toyota, and to other vehicles of friends and family. Mine are definitely the wobbliest. I hope that's not just the way the Mazda6 was made...
  • zlyzly Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm from Croatia (Europe), and I have exactly the same problem.
    I bought new Mazda 6 on march 2010, and been very unhappy whith ride
    quality. So I changed the tires from 17 inch to 16 inch, (cost me additional
    1200 Euro), and now ride quality seems little bit better, but I'm not
    satisfied enough. It is hard to believe, that type of car "family sedan" have
    stiff suspension like Mazda 6.
    Please, let me know about your's future actions and experience.
    Thanks
  • Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on winter tires for my new 2010 Mazda 6 GT i4 in Canada, in terms of tires, it has the same tires as the s Grand Touring in the US: 235/45/R18.

I will ask my dealership about recommended winter tires and wheels, but wanted some opinions here.

The best reviewed winter tires on Tire Rack are the Michelin X-Ice, and they do have the same size 235/45/R18 - The issue for me is that that I can't find 18" steel wheels in my area at reasonable price.

My question is:
    What are alternative, SAFE, tires/wheels in the 17" for 2010 Mazda 6 s Grand Touring.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers
  • sedmundsedmund Posts: 93
    edited August 2010
    I have a s GT version that came with 235/45/18 all seasons and for winter I got a set of hankook winter ipike w409 snow tires on 17" maxim wheels. The Hankooks have been awesome for me so far in winter. They handle snow with ease and I've tried them upto 6" of snow on my steep driveway with no issues. I have had them for 2 winters now.
  • Thanks sedmund

Do you have have the exact configuration of the tires (xxx/xx/17)?

Cheers
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Michelin X-Ice XI 2 T were highest rated by CR last November. The next two were:
    General Altimax Arctic Q and Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5.

But it looks like, based on tests rather than consumer reviews, Tire Rack actually put Continental ExtremeWinterContact and Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 ahead of the Michelins:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=122

As for size, why not just look up the size that was used on the 2010 Mazda6, when equipped with 17 inch wheels? (apparently that would be: 215/55-17)
  • Thanks Jeffy, good point about the Mazda 6 with 17"
  • I think you should have a much better ride after lowering the tire pressure. I would keep the tire pressure on the front a little higher (say 34 psi front and 32 rear, see sticker on inside of the driver door), just because the car is heavier on the front, and using the same tire pressure all round would lift up the rear, making every pothole feel deeper.

The downside is that the lower tire pressures typically wear out tires faster and hurt fuel economy.

Exchanging the 17s for a set of 16s would probably yield even better results..
  • I have a 2007 Mazda Speed6, grand touring edition. The original tires when I bought the car were Bridgestone Potenzas, and they've worn out now at about 27,000 miles. I need to replace them and the dealer suggested that if I don't want to pay the $$$ for the Potenzas, I could go with Falkens. I've never heard of that brand, does anyone have them on their speed6, and if so, how are they?

I live in Los Angeles and never drive in the snow or any serious weather conditions, so I'm not concerned about that.

Thanks!!
  • Falken has been around for a while, and I know of other 6 and MS6 owners that have 'em as well.

Which model Falkens are you looking for? Any other brands/models you are also looking into?
  • abelangerabelanger Posts: 4
    edited September 2012
    Rough ride. I have been to 2 dealers and they can't find the problem. The car has the new green tires Hankook Optima 426. The wheels have been balance over and over. Rotated and check tire pressure. Checked for out of round, etc. Nothing seem to help. The car has 4,000 miles has been reported since 500 miles. Its a lease, so I cannot buy tires for it. If I had bought it, I just would replace the tires period. But not for a lease. What to do do?
    What a disapointment this is. My son has a 2007 Elantra with the same tires, but they are not green. The car rides like a Cadillac and is so nice and comfortable to drive. Any suggestio?ns anybody
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 800
    It's a little unclear, but are you saying you have a rough ride? - OR - are you saying you have a vibration?

It makes a difference in what can be done to fix the problem.

If you have a vibration, then replacing the tires would be called for.

If the problem is a rough ride, then we need to do a little homework: What are the 2 tire sizes involved - the 2013 and the 2007?
  • On the 2013 Elantra, I replaced the tires at my own expense. I put Bridgestone, and the ride was a little better. Then the tire dealer switch the tires to MIchelin , said it would be better. But no, Michelin felt like there was more rubber on the road, but still rough. So back to the original tires Hankook. The ride is harsh, and according to Hyundai Customer Service, it was made that way, for better gas mileage, which I have not seen in 6,000 miles. Anyway, this car is very uncomfortable on long trips, like driving an old clunker. Big disapointment for a new car. Hyundai will suffer from this later. I know cars, I was an auto abitrator in the past.
  • Greetings. Time to replace Michelin original tires at 39K, they are shot. Looking for recommendations as I have to buy tires like now.... I have basic service done at local Firestone. They are recommending Firestone Firehawk P215/55R17 (50K mileage) or Bridgestone Ecopia (65K mileage), price is $789+ for Firestones, $817+ for Bridgestone before any coupon or discount. I'm on the road quite a bit, especially in fall months, living in Middle Tennessee, not much snow or ice. Car is in great shape, keeping it for at least 3 more years. Would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations very much! Thanks. JazzerMP
13»