Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Starting / Stalling Issues

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,083
    gtprixgirl,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with your dealer? If not, I would recommend doing so. Please keep me updated on your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Go to the dealer and get this done: BGFUEL INJECT

It cleans the engine to remove buildup. I had the same problem when starting and got this done. I used to have to hit the gas on startup otherwise it would stall. You should not need to do this on a fuel injected car. After it was done I have not had any more problems. Cost $100
  • merc24merc24 Posts: 3
    Ok I have a 2003 grand prix that is having a starting problem. It will not crank at all sometimes and when I try to crank it up sometimes the starter scratches and then it starts, but when I throw it in gear it shuts off. I had read about the ignition switch recall but pontiac claims that they don't see a recall on my car can someone please help
  • sdanycsdanyc Posts: 1
    Okay I had this problem not with a Grand Prix but with an Olds Alero... Mechanics did not know how to fix this... I later found out that it was because the new tires I had on the put on the car were to narrow and just out of spec for the computer... Once I replaced the tires with the correct size all problems went away as the computer read them as correct. No more loss of traction control no more engine light on ect.... Check the tire size to make sure it meets the specs for your car....
  • I used to have the 06 gp gxp had the same problem they put a new battery in it and changed something that had to do with the amount of power that goes to charging the battery. when it happened to me the battery was dead and i jumped the battery i think i fried it because i drove it to them and they said the battery was about to explode and that it was leaking acid. hope this helps.
  • I have a 99 Grand Prix GT. I went through the MAF sensor issues late last year. After replacing the MAF sensor, I didn't have any problems for 6 months. it now started stalling randomly at highway speeds as well as at 15 miles/hr. It always starts right up. It can go days without any problems.
    Has a new battery, new fuel filter, cleaned the ground wire as suggested on this forum. Any one have any ideas?
  • Im still having the same problem too, I plugged in the code reader and it said my 3rd cylinder was misfiring so i changed the coil and plug, that didn't work. Got a new air filter too just incase and nothing. I tried cleaning the battery ground wire also and nothing. My super charger wasn't registering either, I ran diagnostic again and said my MAF sensor so i changed it and nothing and the sensor code still comes up. Thought maybe the battery so i changed it and it runs the same but now i can have my accessory on and it wont die. I brought it to a dude i know and he put it on his machine at the shop and the pressure from the engine was leaking from the gasket which is why the super charger wasn't registering. I got a few quotes and was getting 500 bucks, i got it done for 200 from the dude that told me what it was. Nothing new though except my super charger registers now, but still putting when getting on the highway or just giving it gas, usually still dies when i first start it up. Check engine light goes on and off for a couple days at a time. The dude that changed my gasket told me i should change all my plugs and wires which is easy but getting to the rear plugs is a [non-permissible content removed], the engine needs to be rolled forward. So I'm really not sure what else to do but drive it till it explodes. If you think of something let me know hahaha
  • sounds like you went through everything. I don't know how many miles you have on your car but after doing what you have done, getting the plugs replaced is minor and might be worth it. The other thing is the MAF sensors can be finicky. I replaced it on mine with a rebuilt one, after a month it started acting up, I went back and got a different one, that one was also bad. Then I went back and asked if they had a new one (O'Reilleys) and for $30 more, I got a new one and the problem went away. Now about 8 months later, I am getting the stalling problem every now and then but it always starts right up and the car runs great.
  • i have about 95000 miles on it, I bought it with 65000 3 years ago, hasnt given me problems till recently, Ill change the plugs and wires and see if maybe that will do it.
  • smv1smv1 Posts: 14
    edited July 2011
    Hi... my daughter's 97' grang prix GT; also was having stalling problems and I did replace the MAF sensor as you've done. The problem was solved for a short time and a mechanic replaced both the crank and cam shaft sensor's; one @ a time. He did the cam sensor first' the problem was still there and then the replacement of the crank sensor ended up solving the problem. Apparently these sensor's get so much heat and then have intermitent problems...( this will create was I understood to be called the" Hall Effect" causing the engine to stall out ) ... but once the sensors cool down, the car will start back up. At first the mechanic that that I was a little nuts; but he was only test driving the viecule a short distance. I asked him to drive the car back and forth to his home and this is when it stalled out on him on a bridge. Well I hope this helps resolve your .... problem. Please post your results; especially if this ends the stalling.
  • gatvillegatville Posts: 1
    Hello, I currently have an odd electrical issue with my 98 GTP. When i turn on the headlights (or when they come on automatically) there's not enough power for them to turn on, the parking lights work fine though. The daytime running lights do not work. The dome lights/cluster illumination/radio/climate control/info center all dim and brighten intermittantly and continuously, it also seems to effect the idle of the car. First thought was that it was the headlight switch, replaced it and the problem still exists. Now, if i turn the highbeams on.....the problem goes away, the headlights work fine, and all the interior lights work as they should. Any suggestions for this problem?
  • ralphie2ralphie2 Posts: 7
    Hi!

I have an 07 GP which develops a hard intermittent miss during acceleration. It isn't necessarily hard acceleration, it happens with with light pedal too. It gets worse when the ambient temp is in the hi 80s lo 90s, especially when sitting in rush hour traffic. In the morning or cool weather there is no problem, which leads me to believe it's a sensor breakdown at hi temp. No check engine light, no code errors, no reading from OnStar real-time diagnosis.

Any ideas? MAF sensor is my first guess.

Thanks!
  • i noticed today that my car bogs down worse when im barely touching the pedal, like its coughing for more gas. if u read my posts on here Ive tried almost everything except the plugs and wires. try the maf sensor, its worth a shot. but that's how my problems first started, no check engine but started running like crap
    ralphie2,
    I would recommend taking the vehicle to your dealer of choice to at least have the vehicle diagnosed. Could you please email me? Please include your VIN and a brief description of your issues or a copy of this post. I hope to hear from you soon.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Well I had the car checked out at Tires Plus, they didn't see any codes and couldn't make it to stall after keeping it for 2 days. Then I called GM to see if they had anything to say since this is a major safety issue. The car stalls at highway speeds and you have the risk of getting rear ended by a semi or losing your power steering and going off the road if it happens at a sharp turn. They offered no hep but gave me a case number. I took the car to the old Pontiac/GM dealer. They couldn't find anything either but suggested replacing the crankshaft sensor as the first step, the other possibility is the ignition control module but they are saying that crankshaft positioning sensor is more likely to go, which is also supported by this forum so that is the first thing I am going to do, then we'll go from there. I'll keep you posted.
  • Well I had the car checked out at Tires Plus, they didn't see any codes and couldn't make it to stall after keeping it for 2 days. Then I called GM to see if they had anything to say since this is a major safety issue. The car stalls at highway speeds and you have the risk of getting rear ended by a semi or losing your power steering and going off the road if it happens at a sharp turn. They offered no hep but gave me a case number. I took the car to the old Pontiac/GM dealer. They couldn't find anything either but suggested replacing the crankshaft sensor as the first step, the other possibility is the ignition control module but they are saying that crankshaft positioning sensor is more likely to go, which is also supported by this forum so that is the first thing I am going to do, then we'll go from there. I'll keep you posted.

I had the dealer replace the crankshaft position sensor and so far so good. I drove the car for almost 1000 miles and it hasn''t stalled yet.
  • mudrulzmudrulz Posts: 1
    I have a 03 grand prix with the 3.1L and has 98K miles. When starting the car it idles rough and has a random miss fire, along with stalling out like the ignition has been shut off. The ignition has to be shut off and turned back on to restart the car. Had someone take a look at it and they scoped and adjusted ses light, but found nothing else.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
  • elm225crelm225cr Posts: 1
    I´m sorry is your name Mckenzie?
  • Ill try that
  • I have a 2001 w/3.8. I'd loose my Tach and Traction Con. light came on. Replaced Ignition module. Fixed it.
  • My '03 pontiac grand prix GT is not starting.I replaced the battery with a brand new one and have the alternator checked in two different shops (Auto zone and O'reily).There is no problem with the alternator too. I didn't leave any switch open after I turn the ignition off.The car works fine after jump start but the battery is dying after 10 hrs. I believe something is draining the power from the battery while the engine is off.There may be some ground problem too.I checked with a mechanic and he told me that the battery is drawing 0.02 A of current when the engine is off..apparently he couldn't find the problem. I am quite depressed and don't know what to do.
    Could anyone please help me out?
  • I have a 98 pontiac grand prix 3800. It will not start. :confuse: When you turn the key over, no sound at all. complete silence. The car ran fine the day before, i came home, parked it, and the next morning, it wont do anything. The dash lights are on, as well as the inside lights. the power windows and radio all work fine. I cleaned the battery connectors, and still nothing. :cry: I tryed jumping the car..and nothing...it still did not amke a sound. I used my diagnostic machine and no codes come up. I am unemployed at the time and have little money to spare, so if any one knows what could possibly be wrong, i would greatly apprecitate any help. I plan to do the repair myself, but again I am limited on funds so would like to get the right part the first try out....lol...thanks in advanced for any and all help.
  • I changed the motor out because no one bothered to change the oil in the vehicle. But now the motors all bolted up and it has no spark for some reason. The harness is all connected up I double checked, I think the computer needs to be reprogrammed at the dealer. If you have any suggestions It would be quite helpful
  • my grand prix had the same problem. i installed a bypass switch from the positive battery cable and ran it into my car just under the dash and when i turned off my car i would just hit the switch and kill all power to the car.
    (great deterent for car theifs too) and it only cost me $10 bucks for the switch and 0 guage wire. hope this helps
  • jenn70jenn70 Posts: 1
    Im having a problem problem with my 08 Grand Prix - has lost acceleration several times, twice on the highway and twice under 25 mph and check engine/engine power reduced warnings flash. Pull over, turn car off for a few minutes and then start it and it drives ok (can still tell there is something off though). Took it in to be checked out this last time and came up with no codes and no one has any idea of whats wrong, they offered several "possibilities" they are willing to fix for a large sum of money. Not interested in getting in any accidents as all four times have been very random but I cant spend all this money and just cross my fingers ~ Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • prochieprochie Posts: 11
    Same with the 04. Check the ground cable by the battery. This will fix the loss off acceleration and dash instrumentation.
    We would be happy to look into this for you. In order to do further research and perhaps set up a case, we will need your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and dealer name sent ot Christina by email. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  • Did you find a fix for this? I have the exact same car with the exact same issues. I had the stalling when trying to start it at first and then just this past weekend it started dying on my when I was accelerating. Just took it in to a mechanic today and they weren't able to pull any codes off of the computer.

Thanks
    I’m sorry you weren’t able to get a diagnosis with your mechanic – was this a dealership? We can follow up with them, if you like. Email Christina with your name, VIN, contact info, and the name of your involved dealership and we’ll move forward from there.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service