Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Montana Engine Problems

My wife owns a 2000 Montana. The coil pack is bad and needs to be replaced. My question is, how does one get to it? I've heard that the engine needs to be rolled foward to get to the components in the back but I have never figured out how. If it wasn't for that, I would have it fixed by now.
I fix airplanes for a living so I'm quite mechanically inclined. Anyone know how to "roll the engine" or is there something I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• flm773flm773 Posts: 1
    Sounds like you need to rotate the engine. Here is info from my '99 shop manual on how to do this:

1. Remove the throttle body air inlet duct.
    2. Set the park brake.
    3. Shift the transaxle into Neutral.
    4. Remove the engine mount strut bolts. Swing the engine mount struts aside (both left and right struts go from the engine to the front of the van).
    5. Install the J41131 (I used a pipe clamp on the engine to the front frame to pull the engine forward toward the radiator).
  • blg1blg1 Posts: 2
    hi i just bought a pontiac montana on dec 20 of 2006 it's has been in the shop since i bought it has engine problems such as low oil pressure it has enough oil and the service engine light kepis coming on the service center at the dealership they can't find out what wrong with it when the check the codes nothing come back with no problem. has anyone had this problem? it's been a nightmare since i got this montana :( :cry: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • Join the club! Shortly after my first post, I found all my anti-freeze in the oil. Needless to say, it sits in my friend's garage while we take it apart trying to find out if the head blew or just the head gasket. In my research, it is a common problem on the 3.4 liter engines used in many GM makes.

Blg1, my Montana has been in and out of the shop since we owned it. Yes, they always need something and they get alot of "Ghost codes." You know, codes that are there but aren't? If it wasn't for the cold, I'd be in my old 1970 Dodge Challenger. An engine without a computer is an easy engine to troubleshoot. Yes, I look foward to getting rid of the Montana.
  • blg1blg1 Posts: 2
    i just got my montana back from the shop. they told me they had to recalibrate the computer. well see how long that works or maybe something else will go wrong i hope not
  • Having the followig problems, all of which happen sometimes. Sometimes when I start it the car idles fast. Sometimes if I turn it off and then on again it will idle normally, sometimes not. Sometimes when I drive I take my foot off the accelorator and the car doesn't slow down, sometimes it will even speed up. Sometimes from a stop the car hesitates and "bucks" when accelerating. Sometimes on the highway the motor will rev for just a second, then go back to normal.

Most strange, twice in the past 6 months, both times at highway speeds, the gas guage has gone from full to empty in just a few minutes. I stopped the first time to see if I had a leak in my gas tank. I've had it into the shop 6 times. They cannot get it to "act up" when it's there and don't have a clue. Thanks for the help.
  • jegjcjegjc Posts: 2
    is your gas filter new ? is there gas restriction (pinch some where) ?

injectors clean ? Loose wire in the control pannel ?

many question in fact can put you in trouble :)

byeee jegjc québec city canada
  • Will try filter and cleaning injectors first. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • ejg80sejg80s Posts: 4
    I have the same gas gauge problem with my 1997 Trans Sport Montana. It usually happens when it gets below 1/4 tank and then the gauge pegs out to full. Does not happen all the time.
  • beowulf58beowulf58 Posts: 12
    Well, All, it took me awhile but I re-built the upper half of the engine in my friend's garage and it's been running pretty sound.
    I did, however, get yet another engine code. (No surprise, really) The emissions systems in those things are touchy. Being that I have two other small cars, my wife and I drive those most of the time and leave the Montana home as it's still a gas pig.
    Being that my two Hyundais are great little cars, I intend to stick with imports in the future.
  • mlkuttermlkutter Posts: 4
    :mad: Noticed a coolant leak and now the low coolant light is on all the time, even when the coolant is full.
    Engine is running hotter then before but not red. Will heat up as it idles and cool down as I drive.
    Is this a ticking time bomb or will I be OK if I keep the coolant full?
    Really can't afford any repairs.
    Need to drive out of town soon.
    :cry:
  • beowulf58beowulf58 Posts: 12
    STOP DRIVING THE VEHICLE!! That's where my problems started. Have someone who knows cars (a friend, preferably) take a look at your intake gaskets, in particular to the right side as you face the engine. As I understand it, it's a common problem for the Montana/Venture and the 3.4 litre engine. I won't lie, it won't be cheap. If I were you, I'd get rid of the vehicle. I'm trying to get rid of ours.

As for mine, it has again broke and it now sits in a field at my in-law's house. I refuse to fix it again. The wife wants to and understands that it will be all her this time.
    If some kid wants it for a project, I'll take payoff of the vehicle.

BTW, it's the last domestic car I plan on buying. Every one I've ever had has been nothing but trouble.
  • hawkeye56hawkeye56 Posts: 1
    I have replaced the intake gasket on my 1998 montana. same engine, 3.4 litre, nice engine, good power, bad intake gasket. then i replaced the water pump. and struts and front light lens' and the grills are both broken out, and the rear wiper and washer plug have be removed by unknown sources, (may they toast in hades)and does anyone else notice that the dashboard tower where the radio, heater and acc. switches are located gets to be about a thousand degrees after driving for about 1/2 an hour. i love my montana, i really do!!! :D
  • I have a 1999 Montana. My engine light recently came on, which it does a lot if the gas cap is not on tight. I tightened the gas cap, that didn't help. Now it stays on and when you accelerate the engine light flashes on & off. It seems to be kind of sluggish and also when you sit with the engine idling it doesn't idle smooth. So far it's been a good car, but I'm wondering if anyone has had the same problem at all and what you had to do to remedy this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Whoa, I know you posted a while ago, but I hope you stopped driving the vehicle immediately. In GM vehicles, the "service engine soon" light most often amounts to a $50 part + $300 mechanic bill. If you have a very serious problem with a GM vehicle, the engine light will blink. You've probably figured this out by now though.
  • lisartlisart Posts: 5
    I have a 99 Montana, 159,000 miles on her. This morning I got in it to go to work and I had no electric. fiance jumped it and it worked fine for the rest of the day and now it's down again.
    He thinks its the alternator since its original I think its moisture. not sure where to start though.
    Replaced the battery last year, no issues with things being left on since they are all automatic.
  • Ensure that all of your battery connections are tight. Even one loose one will cause problems like this as you're not getting a good connection. If you want to test your alternator, start the vehicle and then disconnect your battery. If it still runs, the alternator is good. If you have a volt meter at home, test the alternator and see how much voltage it's putting out. It should be around 13-14 volts or so.
  • katsmeowkatsmeow Posts: 1
    ya i have a 2002 pontiac montana over heats idoling and in town going out of town it goes down to a good temp we have replaced water pump and thermastate twice and head gasgets flushed the radiater too now we need to figure out how too get to the heater core does anyone knows i would much appreciate it Kathy
  • jhirneisenjhirneisen Posts: 64
    For all of you who have had problems with DEX COOL (including me) in Montana engines (and the other 2 GM sister mini-vans, and several other GM cars and trucks), there is a proposed CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT. GM does not admit any problems, but it looks like they will have to reimburse effected owners.
    See this web-site:
    http://www.dexcoolsettlement.com/

Jack ....in Colorado
  • lisartlisart Posts: 5
    if you still have this vehicle i would hope that by now you had the fuel filter checked cause that was my problem when it was sluggish as you describe.
  • kimmer827kimmer827 Posts: 1
    Jack, thank you for this info. I am SO not a car person, and have no idea what I'm talking about, but here goes. We have had our 2003 Montana to the mechanic twice for the same problem. The bolt that holds the rocker arm down strips and the engine light comes on and the vehicle runs sort of shaky. Both times it happened, we took it to the mechanic immediately and he says it's defective parts. I called Pontiac Customer Service and they want me to take it to get it diagnosed (for $72/hour) at a local dealership. I called the dealership and it would take them about two hours to check it out, minimum. My husband and I decided not to pursue it because we thought they would say it wasn't their responsibility. Is this at all related to the DEX COOL issue? Thanks for posting what you already did, and I'll watch for your reply.

Kim.... PA