Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus IS 250 vs Honda Accord V6

Comments

• saleemsaleem Posts: 114
    I dont understand how there is so much comparison of the cars. I bought an Accord SE, so I was about $20K OTD, which is a far cry from an IS250. I'm driving an IS250 AWD loaner right now, and the cars are completely different in character, space, level of sophistication, and more. The IS250 is not only small but FEELS "cozy". There is a hump that comes out of the center stack so you can't bring your right foot towards you; it's very odd.

The AWD nature of the car is amazing and you can do whatever you want, that is the biggest bonus that I see. The level of sophistication is very nice in the Lexus and clearly beats the Accord. Acceleration is better in my case, but that's cuz I have an I4 Accord.

I love my Accord-- just got it a week ago and am looking forward to the next few years. The IS250 is amazing, definitely-- but they're for different people with different needs and bigger wallets.
  • neteng101neteng101 Posts: 176
    The hump is an AWD feature on the IS... the RWD IS250 and IS350 don't have it. I looked at the hump and was like that would be SO annoying. Test drove an IS350, very nice... it was plenty of money fully loaded though.
  • nr9nr9 Posts: 55
    clearly, the IS250 is weak. it handles better than the accord, but the engine is so much weaker and the IS is so much more expensive.

A 7.9s 0-60 for a $33K car (sports sedan?) is unacceptable. anyone buying an IS should get a 350, its a much better deal.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 853
    ....A 7.9s 0-60 for a $33K car (sports sedan?) is unacceptable. anyone buying an IS should get a 350..........

....based on ten years with a Toyota Supra Turbo, I cornsidered the IS 250.

..the manual shift (IS350 is auto only)is dogshXX compared to the Honda/Acura 6M......

..I laid out $23.4 prior TTL for my AV6 6M, 10k buys a lot of Crown Royal.........

..C/D indicates 5.9 0-60 for the Honda AV6 (6M)......(yeah, I know they drop clutch beat it to death for the 5.9).......

..ez..
  • from_flfrom_fl Posts: 113
    If you are buying Accord try find one made from Japan. The qaulity is better.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    If you are buying Accord try find one made from Japan. The qaulity is better.

There is no such thing. They (Accords) are all made here (Ohio). Honda actually ships some from here, to other countries. The "made in Japan means batter quality" thing is nonsense IMO.
    I'm afraid your wrong, Elroy. Some Accords are made in Japan, and some in the US.

Those whose VIN's start with a "J" are from Japan; those from the US start with a "1". A simple Google search will confirm this.

In addition, I just took delivery of my 07 accord with VIN starting in a "J" and I was told directly by the dealer that it was coming from Japan, I even knew where it was as it came (at one point)

I can't speak for Japan vs US quality, but I hear Japan is better. IDK.
    saleem - which trim level is your Accord?
    07 Accord SE I4 AT

Why do you ask?
    Just wondering if only certain trim levels were made in Japan and shipped over or if all the trim levels are.
    MSN Autos is the only place I saw origin information. In 2003 some sedans were built in Japan, some in Mexico, and some in U.S. All Coupes were made in U.S. In 07 it shows some Sedans from Mexico, and some from U.S., and none from Japan. 07 Coupes all from U.S. too. Saleem where did you see 07 Accords were built in Japan?
    Hey guys,

Oh amazing Wikipedia. Specifically,the positions that show nation (1st) and plant name (11th). Mine are J (for Japan) and C (for Saiyama, Japan) respectively. With the 11th letter, you can see if your US-built Accord is from Marysville Ohio, Lincolnville AL, or East Liberty, OH (although IDK if all of them are open, i think so?)

1st digit: VINs that start with "JHM" are Honda Motor Co. of Japan. 1's are from the US.

Data One Software seems to have an XML-based VIN decoder tool w/ a 15-day free trial; it will give you loads of info including production plant.

I entered my VIN, which starts with JHMCM563... and got (this is the meaningful part of it)
    VIN Decode Results:
    Decoding Error: VIN: JHMCM563***...
    Valid VIN: Yes
    Year: 2007
    Make: Honda
    Model: Accord
    Body: Special Edition 4dr Sedan
    Number of Doors: 4 Doors
    Where Built: SAYAMA, JAPAN
    Gross Vehicle Weight Rating:
    Engine Block Configuration: I
    Engine Displacement: 2.4
    Cylinder Quantity: 4
    Fuel Induction:
    FI Cam Type: DOHC
    Valves Per Cylinder: 4
    Aspiration: NA
    Fuel Type: G
    Transmission: 5-Speed Automatic Vehicle
    Type: Sedan
    Curb Weight: 3192

So there you go I guess that's pretty reliable. This program tells you EVERYTHHING, even (approximate) manufacture date.

Take care all
    I have the service manual for years 03-05 and it has all the information on vins for those years. All the information for 06-07 models was not available in 03. Now I know MSN Autos is not exactly perfect.
  • I suggest don't get the TL, although you will find good deals on those right now.. The 09 TL is expected to have a new style, 08 TL looks the same as the ones from 3 years ago. It's still a nice car, but the style is gettting quite old. IS250 is actually the same price as an Accord Coupe EX-L V6 being one is at Invoice -2000 and the other at MSRP.
  • pete78pete78 Posts: 1
    I bought a civic LX in 2005, and it was supposed to be made in japan with "J" Vin number. The way it works with civic was that majority of parts were made here in US and were shipped back to japan. Japanese workers merely assembled US made parts so the finish was bit tighter i guess. Plus, it's transmission was made in Japan which was the only difference from US built/assembled civic. I suspect that Accord with "J" vin has the same story. Regardless of where it's made it's honda quality, however, it felt like a domestic rather then an import.
  • Why? Because my wife liked the luxury of the Lexus. To me, the Honda makes more sense. The Honda is bigger, it's more powerful with 280 HP to the IS's 204 HP, and it's less expensive. But the Lexus is quieter, better looking, equipped with skid controls and other handling enhancements, better sound system, heating and cooling controls, etc. The IS was leasing for $0 down and $399 a month. That translated into about $900 for taxes, tags, first payment, etc. and $427 a month including tax. I also felt compelled to buy an insurance plan covering the tires and wheels, the glass, and any superficial damage to the body when I was told the smaller wheels might get damaged by potholes etc....That added $40 a month to my payment, and I don't know whether I was taken on that one...My car is stripped down: no Navigator, no a/c seats, no super-powerful headlights. Just standard issue. If this choice, and this decision, is the worst of my problems, I will be a very lucky man indeed, with a happy wife, as part of the bargain.
  • I can vouch for what you said. I've test driven a Lexus IS 250 and an '08 Accord EX-L V6, and The only way that the Accord wins is in space and V6 power. The Lexus is a much better car in fit and finish, driving dynamics, features, and style (subjective). There's a reason the Lexus costs more.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    But, I think the differences in all those items are fairly close together. The lexus is going to feel a bit more upscale. But, I don't think by a long shot though. The Accord was never really shooting for falling completely in that class. I think just more of an all around package than anything else.

I am not sure which car I would pick, it would be tough. Big horse power isn't a big deal for me, refinement and quality is high on my list. I would have to sit in the drivers seat.
  • The refinement of the IS250 is far higher. Just look at the interior touches and materials quality. The IS250 also feels very "planted" when driving, whereas the Accord tends to bounce and bound a little bit over uneven roads. The IS is also incredibly quiet when driving. That's what sets it apart from the Accord.
This discussion has been closed.