Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hybrids - News, Reviews and Views in the Press

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,680
    I have seen that figure tossed around. Is it the Consumer satisfaction here on Edmund's. Who does the study you are referring to? Do you have a link or links to those studies. Are the studies comparing all cars? Most cars on Edmund's have a very high satisfaction rating. Most people are not going to say they made a mistake buying a given vehicle.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Here are some study links:

Prius Rocks #1

Actually, Gary, the only one I can find is the ones which reference the CR owners satisfaction.....

HHHHHMMMM........
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Actually, Gary, the only one I can find is the ones which reference the CR owners satisfaction.....

Is that the only one you wanted to find?

Vehicle Satisfaction Study Nissan's Rated Highest
    2007 Toyota Prius
    Victim of cheap gas?

quote-
    What happened? The price of gas fell to around the two-dollar mark from three; many people who wanted a Prius have acquired one (not unusual in the life cycle of a car); and Toyota upped the production of the much-talked-about hybrid. So supply caught up with -- and in some cases exceeded -- demand, and to some degree put the consumer back in the driver's seat.
    What hasn't changed is the fact that the Prius is one neat little gas sipping car. It's solid, starts quickly even in minus-9 degree wind chills, warms up quickly, and doesn't emit the slightest squeak even in the coldest weather. It also carries the Toyota promise of a long and trouble free life at a reasonable price point.
    -end
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    From the sales side this is very much what I see as well. The 'early adopters' and 'early majority' have bought their vehicles. Now it's a sell the the rest of the market.

Supply as at least quadrupled in absolute terms. Where we used to get 6-10 units a month now its 30-40 amonth.
  • tpetpe Posts: 2,342
    Of course, CR only surveys CR Subscribers, and CR does not represent the general population

Agreed, these are only CR subscribers. If you were forced to speculate as to what ways CR subscribers differ from the general population what would you say? For instance, would you say that their education level is less than, equal to, or greater than the general population? The same question for income level and time spent researching purchases? Of course its pure speculation but I'd answer "higher than" for all three questions. If I'm correct than this group, while not representative, potentially has a more valuable point of view than the point of view offered by a truly representative cross section. I do believe that another difference that CR subscribers might have is a greater concern for environmental issues than the general population. I guess that could explain a Prius or hybrid bias but is that really a bad thing? With that said, CR does make mistakes but I believe they aren't intentional and their only agenda is to attempt to offer consumers the best advice possible.
    I would trust an independent study that was sent to ALL Prius owners after owning the car for at least a year. Even then it would be predicated on the percentage of returns from the survey. It is just like polls. They rarely are right and almost never go directly to the masses. As different as the Prius is, I doubt that 10% of the Prius owners have ever been sent an independent questionnaire on how they like the car.

I lost faith in CR so long ago I do not even look at their rag on the newsstand.
    Of course its pure speculation but I'd answer "higher than" for all three questions. If I'm correct than this group, while not representative, potentially has a more valuable point of view than the point of view offered by a truly representative cross section. :surprise: Your opionion is that non-representative data is more valuble? Wow! I just want non-biased facts.

CR could easily survey owners of vehicles at random. CR makes the choice to only survey their subscribers. Why? The subscribers pay the bills!
    I have no problem accepting the statement that "Toyota Prius has the highest ownership satisfaction amound CR Subscribers".

It is when people take this scientifically improper sampling method of only sampling subscibers and then try to pass off the results as being representative of the general population that I say NOT ACCEPTABLE.
    Last I checked, CR subscribers ARE a part of the "general population."

These results are from real Prius owners who hopefully are not lying about their cars.

It's not fake data. It's not fake people. It's not fake cars.

It's real results from real owners of real Prius cars.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "Last I checked, CR subscribers ARE a part of the "general population."

Allow me to indicate the proper emphasis:

A survey based a nonrandom part of the population should not claim to represent a random sampling of the entire population.
    How are they a non-random part of the population?

Just because they subscribe to the same magazine?

How does that reduce the value of their Prius data?
    ...have been greatly exagerated ( as might have been reported by Mark Twain )

Toyota Reports February Sales
    03/01/2007 Torrance, CA
    March 1, 2007 – Torrance, CA - Spurred by record hybrid sales, Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today reported best-ever February sales of 187,330 vehicles, an increase of 12.2 percent over February 2006.

"Sales were brisk at both ends of our product lineup," said Jim Lentz, TMS executive vice president. "Setting an all-time record, the Prius hybrid led the way, nearly doubling last February's sales pace; while the new full-size Tundra got off to an impressive start since hitting showrooms February 5th."

link
  • tpetpe Posts: 2,342
    I conceded the fact that a CR survey is not a representative cross-section of the general public. What I'm asking is why CR's particular subset of the general public would lead to data skewed in a certain direction? In this case we're talking about the Toyota Prius and owner satisfaction. So why do CR subscribers like the Prius more than the general public? That's the question. The obvious answer would be that CR subscribers tend to care more about fuel efficiency than the average motorist in the US. As a CR subscriber that's an observation I can accept and if it's a criticism I can also accept it.

Here's an analogy. Let's say you did a "scientific" survey of Americans and asked them what they considered to be the best source of protein and the result was hot dogs, hamburgers or steak. Now you performed this same survey amongst people that visit gyms and health clubs and the result was fish, chicken or maybe soy. Would you dismiss the health club survey as being invalid because it was not scientific or representative?

Which part? People who live in Alaska are part of the general population. Why not just survey people who live in Alaska?

Are subscribers of CR likely to be influenced by CR's recommendations? ;) Have you ever studied pyschology?

Back to the Prius and the news article.
    CR claims to measure vehicle satisfaction.
    JD Power APEAL study measures how gratifying a vehicle is to own and drive.
    The interesting thing is, NO PRIUS listed.
    No PRIUS here!

Autopacific also measures ownership satisfaction. The interesting thing is, Lincoln Navigator had the highest rating. No Prius here either
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "What I'm asking is why CR's particular subset of the general public would lead to data skewed in a certain direction?"

Because people who subscribe to CR have a certain mind-set, which may or may not be different from the general population.

RE: Health club. Yes, I would not consider that a valid representation of anything other than the health club membership group. Just as CR is only a valid representation of the membership of CR. People try and use it to indicate the opinion of the general population. Maybe. Maybe not.
    You got to love them company men

while the new full-size Tundra got off to an impressive start since hitting showrooms February 5th."

I wonder if he fooled his boss with that BS? Hard to be happy about 21.8% lower Tundra sales. Looks to me like they had about 3 big winners and over a dozen real big losers. We shall see if selling more Corollas & Prii make for a better bottom line. Toyota also keep the lid on hybrid sales by not breaking them out from the crowd.
    Making any judgement on 13 days of sales.... with reduced availability of new vehicles as they ramp up is not valid. Let's defer til July /Aug when the CrewMax has arrived and been sold and seen on the streets....and when all the stores have 20-50 units available iso 4 units each.

Now if gas continues up over $3/gal and stays there all big rigs will become lot anchors.

At the bottom of the article they broke them all out separately.
    I was curious about the Camry hybrid and do not see it on the list. It could be my eyes though. The crew max better be nicer than the current Tundra crew cab. It is cramped compared to GM and Dodge Ram CCs.
    It's bigger than both..