Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Transmission Problems

I have a 2007 Tahoe and the transmission has issues. It seems as though it is slipping when you are just starting out in first gear. I have taken it to the dealer and the dealer says all of the 2007 Tahoe's have the same transmission problem. This is really frustrating to have a $40k+ vehicle with this issue and be told by the service department that all of the Tahoes have the same problem but there are no current recalls...Anyone else have this transmission issue?

Comments

• jbedjbed Posts: 1
    I have the same problem, it just started, I just dropped at the dealer last night and I am waiting for a reply. Did they have to replace the whole transmission? How long did it take? Was it fixed? And by the way I have the LTZ which was over $50k, this is very upsetting, I was trying to give GM a chance, I was very impressed with the ride and the interior but now with this problem I am not too sure if I made the right decision.
  • My transmission problem was not fixed. The dealer told me that all of the 2007 Tahoe's have the same transmission slipping problem and since there are no recalls for the transmission problem they refused to do anything to fix it. Please let me know what your dealer tells you. My Tahoe is the LT3 4x4. Like you, I am very upset over this issue.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,296
    If they all do it you should be able to test drive one or two from the lot and duplicate the problem. If the Tahoes on the lot don't slip then the dealer has some explaining to do.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• rbb1rbb1 Posts: 4
    My 07 doesn't slip but i had to get the torque converter replaced which is on recall. They must of changed the program at the same time because I have alot more power . It feels like a completely different car.

R
  • Jbed, what did the service department say was wrong with your transmission? Were they able to fix it?
  • allison5allison5 Posts: 130
    I have an 04 GMC Yukon and I have been noticing that when I first drive the car (I guess when it is in first gear)it seems that the transmissions slips until I get it in the next gear. However I do not always notice it but lately it has been more. I have not brought it into service yet because I am trying to figure out whether I am getting rid of it. Now if I get rid of it I have been considering getting another Tahoe/Yukon BUT if there are transmission isues I might reconsider.
  • I would say that it does have a problem. We have an '07 Tahoe that is currently in the service shop, 3 states away from where we live, because it needs a new transmission. For a brand new $45K vehicle with 20K miles, needing a new transmission should be cause for concern. But, it seems at least the dealer service departments know that this is a problem even if GM hasn't figured out they need a recall.
  • I bought a 2007 Denali 3 weeks ago, drove it 1,500 miles and guess what! I felt the transmission slip a few times while driving one night but thought it may be a break-in issue with the computer. However, taking off from a red light the transmission slipped big time & the check engine light came on. I got it home because the computer bypassed the trans and went into limp mode to get me home. The dealer has had it 3 days & the factory wants them to take the trans apart to find & fix the problem. I & my dealer are fighting for a NEW unit from the factory. $60K+ for a vehicle and they want to repair !! Great customer service GM. PS. My dealer told me there was a TSB for a clip to be replaced that was causing the transmission to slip on acceleration. I will check on the exact number if any one needs it.
  • Citgo, Please let me know what the exact number for the clip is as my dealer seems to be totally unaware. Thanks
  • Glock, I will post all the information as soon as I speak with the dealership & this is resolved.
  • Here is some information I have printed out from GM. The document ID#1875647 covers 2007 GMC Yukon Denali, Cadillac Escalades & 2006 Corvettes with a 6L80 transmission. The related DTC's are P0777 or P2723. Your dealer should be able to easily confirm the codes. The conditions read as follows: "Some customers may comment on a condition of no movement, or slipping or binding in forward range. They may also comment on an illuminated MIL and Technicians may find DTC P0777 or P2723 may be found as a history code in the TCM. The Recommendation from GM is: "This may be the result of the 1-2-3-4 retaining ring (429) coming out of the groove in the 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch housing (427). When this retaining ring comes out of the groove a slipping 1-2-3-4 clutch can be the result. Changes to the 1-2-3-4 retaining ring (429) and the 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch housing (427) were implemented May 30, 2006 in the transmission assemblies to prevent this condition." If you want more info please let me know.
  • Hearing all these problems makes me want to go with the new Sequoia
  • I had my transmission replaced on my 2000 chevy tahoe about 30,000 miles ago and it seems to be going out again. Currently the vehicle only drives in auto 4wd and does not do anything make a grinding kinda noise when I set in 2wd. Before it went out when I would be driving I would here a big boom noise after putting it into drive. Is this a transmission problem or the transfer case? When I pulled in my driveway and put it in park it started to roll backwards. I think it drives in auto 4wd because the front tires are pulling the vehice and sits there and makes a lot of noise because its a rear wheel drive suv. I got an appointment with the dealer on monday and they seem to be dancing away from warranty work already because they replaced the transmission with 100,000 mile warranty. The truck currently has 230,000 miles with the trans work being completed right around 200,000 miles.
  • catamcatam Posts: 331
    Your problem clearly sounds like transfer case NOT tranny. It appears you are not engaging 2wd. If you have and electronic transfer case this could be a problem with actuator, or within case itself.
  • yeah they said the differential came apart on it, they want around 2000 to fix it.
  • From the sounds of the last post it might be your Torque Converter, which is causing your transmission to slip. If the Torque Converter is on recall I would bring the Tahoe in and have it replaced.

If this doesn't fix the problem and your transmission still feels like it is slipping, then I would do what the other post said and test-drive some 07 on the lot to see if they do the same thing. If not, then the dealer has to either repair or replace your transmission under the factory bumper to bumper warranty that your 07 Tahoe should still have.

Chevy is normally pretty good about their warranty, so maybe you should go to a different dealership. The dealer is the one who will loose out as Chevy pays them. Maybe they just don’t want to do warranty work because they don't get paid as much as if it was not warranty work. You see the dealers and Mechanic charge you and I the private citizen more than 2 or 3 times what they get paid by the manufacture for the same work. Make's since why they told you what they did. They are trying to rip you off or don’t want to do warranty work. Not all the Chevy dealerships are like this. Good Luck.
  • Hello, I have a 2007 tahoe LTZ 4x4 with only 15,000 miles and the transmission slipped really bad in all gears just over a week ago. It worked perfect before that and I had it hauled to the dealer and it hasn't slipped at all for the gm techs. I had no lights or codes captured when mine acted this way. The dealer says they don't have a clue other than it might be one of the computers. I have a good relationship with them as I have been going there every week for 8 years and tinting car windows for their customers. So I know them pretty well. I'm wondering what my next step should be? Any suggestions from those out there with the same problem? Thanks, David
  • bizittbizitt Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Suburban LTZ that is having the same problems. The transmission is slipping and the dealer says itis fine and that is normal for a four wheel drive truck. I have had several suburbans and tahoes in the past and no problem.Do you know if this service notice applies to the sububans as well? I assume it is the same trans.
  • The dealer kept mine for a week and a half and after contacting GM they said that GM put a paper out on the problem and they did something with a 1/2 conduit. I know they would code whatever they did on the paperwork they gave me, but I have no idea. It has been working good as usual since I got it back 2 days ago. Mine didn't slip really it just didn't want to shift into the next gear with out reving higher than normal. After knowing much about transmission of the past I know slipping was not happening. It was not shifting into the next gear correctly. If it truly was slipping it wouln't have gone back to normal the next time I drove it. Your GM dealer can and should get the sheet from GM company and follow its direction. Hope you get it fixed. I'm hoping mine is fixed. David
  • milammilam Posts: 1
    I have a Suburban that will sometimes slip on takeoff. It appears that the transmission does not properly engage the 1st gear. However, by releasing the throttle, it will then slip into gear. Does anyone else have any experience with this situation. The dealer rebuilt the pressure (?) valve on the transmission several years ago. Everything was fine until two weeks ago. My truck is about to go out of warranty. I am concerned that I will need a new transmission shortly.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,

/s/ Tom Milam, Jr.
    milam@inglesrud.com
  • I'm new to posting on sites such as this, but took the time to register b/c I'm really getting upset. I had around 17,000 miles on my 2007 Tahoe LTZ when, while accelerating up a slight grade, I heard a loud BANG, tach wrapped around as I quickly let foot off of accelerator and then I was done - nothing! I turned vehicle off, resarted it and was able to "limp" home (less than a mile) in low, though I did hear a high-pithced whining/vibration a few times during this ride. Same response as some of the other comments - argued that transmission should be replaced, but dealer said Chevy wouldn't do that on first repair. Two weeks later I got it back with a replaced forward sprag clutch, as I was told. I had taken it in just before this to have a sensor of some sort replaced on the transfer case when the message board indicated this was necessary. Message board had told me to return for service again just before I lost tranny entirely. Have around 21,000 now and we're back in the shop - slipping, occasional grind, high-pitched vibration on hills, etc. I have contacted Customer Service and have a rep calling me now, so I am hoping for a replacement, but sounds as though a new one may not be much better than what I have!
  • WOW!!! That is the worst I've heard on tranny problems with the 07 Tahoe. After a trip in to the dealer one time I haven't had another problem. I have added another 6k miles. Problems can come with any mechanical machinery. The difference is in customer service. Hopefully GM will step up to the plate and handle these problems quickly with little inconvience to the customer. Keep on them and don't give up!
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Posts: 588
    That sounds pretty bad, for sure. But it's hard to take this instance and associate it with *all* 07s. This tranny has been around quite a while, with only tweaks and refinements over time (after the more major change to electronic control). The 4L60E has "been around the block", as many competitors with more than 4 gears in their vehicles love to point out for us GM owners.. :surprise:
  • jochampjochamp Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 Tahoe LT 4x4 bought new. I had noticed the transmission slipping, but it would then go back into gear. I mentioned to the service tech a few months ago and he said to make sure it was in 2wd rather than auto. I had a 2004 LT 4x4 and never had this issue. This past week I was driving down a busy main road and I heard a loud slipping noise and the car lost all acceleration. I was able to coast onto a side road and call the dealer. Three days later I am told it is a sprag [sic]. They are going to take a part the transmission and repair the part. The car has 9780 miles on it and I am concerned that a main component is being taken apart and put back together. Would anyone have any suggestions as to when and under what future circumstance I should demand a new transmission. I am now not feeling good about the warranty running out after three years.
  • tahoetiredtahoetired Posts: 2
    Can't hit ENTER too soon! Sorry about the first two tries. You have seen my initial complaint above. Anyway, just wanted you (and everyone else)to know that I, too, was told that my problem was the "forward sprag clutch". The mechanic said it appeared as though it just disintegrated. The bad part is that no one knows why, so, of course, there is no way to rest easy when it could very well happen again. The best I could get out of my Chevy rep was free oil changes for a year. Good luck, and spread the word!
  • au83au83 Posts: 1
    My 2007 Tahoe 4X4 LT is now at the local Chevy dealer due to what seemed to be slippage of the transmission twice in a 1 mile distance prior to it losing all acceleration. It would move in reverse and in 2nd, but nothing else. I have just over 34k miles. So far the only information, after two days and me finally calling them, is that they have ordered a part and are having to get into the transmission, but the person I need to speak with for more information is not available. The tow truck driver said he had hauled 3 Tahoes in over the past two days with the same type of problem. I left GM products several years ago after similar problems and only returned on this vehicle. Now I am questioning my decision.
  • daddysondaddyson Posts: 1
    Mine went bang and lost all acceleration at about 30 or 35 mph entering a freeway access road. While waiting on the side of the road for a tow, I found I still had reverse, first, and second. Decided to move to a safer place but ended driving it home 10 miles in second gear. Figured I could drive it a half mile to the Chevy dealer in the morning. Pulled in the driveway to put it in the garage. No reverse! Had nothing in P and R. Forward in all other shifter positions. No neutral with engine running. Found that with engine off there was neutral so I pushed it out of the driveway, started it up and parked it on the street. Got in the car in the morning to go to the dealer. Nothing! Key in ignition turned on power to dash but no engine response at all to turning the key. So, I called for a tow. Chevy dealer got it. Called later in the day and they couldn't find what to fix because it was working. Hah! They called later and said when the mechanic put it in reverse to drive it off the lift, it went forward! Three days gone and still not fixed. Mileage: 16,750.
  • tah04tah04 Posts: 8
    WHAT IS WITH THESE TRANNY PROBLEMS. MY 2004 TAHOE 21K TRANNY REPLACED, 37K THAT TRANNY REPLACED JUST GOT THE THING BACK 90 MILES TRANNY SLIPS CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON. THERE NEEDS TO BE A RECALL ON THIS TRANNY. ARE WE LOOKING AT A EARLY 80'S 700R4 PROBLEM. THIS IS A 46K DOLLAR CAR. IS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS SOME PHONE NUMBERS FOR THE CEO OF GM. IF YOU DO FOWARD THEM TO ME BEEING I CAN'T DRIVE MY 46K DOLLAR CAR I HAVE THE TIME TO MAKE PHONE CALLS. ALSO WHO IS "SERTA" CJ :lemon:
  • I own 2 2007 Suburbans my tranny went on the 1st. @ 35k . Dealer went in and fixed some things inside of it.
    No sooner than I get it out the dealer my other starts to slip @ 20k. This is the worst I have lost all confidence in these vehicles. This time the whole tranny will be replaced on the week of 4th of July!!!
  • 07max07max Posts: 2
    I have a 07 1500 Silverado (NBS; LTZ; 13,000 miles; 6.0L) w/similar problems to those listed here. Mine tranny seems to be slipping or very slow shifting (OD down to third) when driving up a steep slope (5% or greater) or on a very long slight incline (similar to trailer haunching) as well as noticeable loss in power on the bottom end with a very noticalbe power range increases during hard exceleration. I have now had it at the dealership 7 times. The dealership has updated the AFM as well as other unspecified computer updates but with no improvement at all. They are going to be adding a computer monitor from GM to the truck next week and will be sending the monitor to GM for evaluation but they are telling me this may be a 6 to 8 month process if it is found to be a program error since they will have to have EPA approval for any changes.

Has anyone else had a computer monitor installed that is sent to GM?

Has anyone talked to their dealers about lemon laws for their problems and if so what has been said