Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Transmission Problems

Comments

• My transmission seems to be slipping on my2005 tahoe? Is this a common problem?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Slipping, no. Breaking, yes.
  • wmdgmcwmdgmc Posts: 3
    I had same prob and my trans man told me that GM had a problem with the torque converters glazing over. A torque converter is only 150 , but it's the labor that kills you.
    But anyway , my tranny man told me a way to fix this and it worked instantly. He told me to buy a tube of SHUTTER ELIMINATOR for $7 and it worked. NO MORE SHAKING AT 50-55 or hard clunk shifting. I didn't even have to drain any tranny fluid :)
  • wmdgmcwmdgmc Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    It's the torque converter!!!!Buy a tube of SHUTTER ELIMINATOR ($7.00)at you local automotive store. Works instantly.
    The torque converter gets glazed over making it hard for the clutch inside to work properly.
    I learned this after many visits to many different shops. I found the right shop in a small farm town that knew what it was.
    Richards Tranmission in Urich,Mo. That guy saved me about$150 on new torque converter plus labor of about $450 in most shops (not his)
    This is only if you have the shaking-jerking at a cruising speed or driving on highway.
  • Got a 95 Tahoe 4X4 with 238K on the original transmission/transfer. Every time the weather gets a hair below 55 degrees it begins shifting funny after startup and feels like it's slipping a little for the first 10 miles or so. Always let it run for about a minute before driving and it almost never does this when it's warm outside. I'm thinking of disconnecting the battery to let the computer reset to see if the behavior continues tomorrow. Any thoughts on what this could be?
  • i also have a 1995 tahoe and am experiencing the same problems. only when it is cold and when i first drive it. feels like it is jumping gears and slipping. also has trouble deciding between gears!!! Did you get any answers yet? i am going to talk to a tranny shop tomorrow. 126k on truck
  • Nothing conclusive but the diagnosis is identical. As far as I know the only remedy is to warm it up for a few minutes before driving but even then it only slightly reduces the amount of funkiness. Idle can be really high if you jump in and start driving. Truth be told it's fine after it gets warm and has a few miles on it. At 229K on the original transmission I am not surprised to see some irregularities but it feels like it might be electrical. Unhooked the battery for a bit and it improved the situation but all in all, nothing outside a little more prep before driving seems to work.
  • sorry i havent replied back but it has been not good with the truck. tranny went completely. had one built, wrong body (they switched to a full bell housing half way through the year, mine has a dust cover not a full bell housing). had mine taken out and rebuilt, planetary gears were destroyed. put it back in, same problem. waiting for another unit to be rebuilt from front to back. Appparently driving it with the shifting issues caused metal shavings to get into the valves and mess them up, hence the continuing problem after the tranny was rebuilt. should be putting in the other tranny on sunday. hope it works.
  • ive got a 98' 5.7liter 4x4...my reverse is out and the other gears take a little longer than normal to shift...Is the transmission gonna need to be rebuilt or is this possibly an easier fix? Now if the transmission needs to be replaced/rebuilt, im thinking about using a transmission from a Z71. Is there even any difference between the reg tahoe trany and the Z71 trany and will the z71 trany fit? Ne advice would help thanx.
  • After some research the 1st/2nd gear shifting irregularity appears to be the valve body and is related to the TCC. Here's a link to another discussion on the topic - http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?p=36499

A quick Google search found that a new valve body is around $400 and installation will probably add another $250. That's more than half the total value of the vehicle so I'm probably just going to stick with warming it up for 5-6 minutes before driving, that seems to do the trick.
  • after replacing the tranny twice with no results i decided to take matters into my own hands. after doing some research and talking to several transmission people i decided to check the electrical associated with the transmission. after checking all the wires i changed the speed sensor located on the rear top of the transfer case. PROBLEM SOLVED. $52.00 part which should have been replaced when the tranny was changed.
    Was your speedometer acting erratic, that would have been another symptom to observe? Cruise control dropping out of engagement, etc?
  • The speedometer has been normal from what I can tell, but I'll try to replicate it today or tomorrow to see if it's behaving properly. The RPMs however will occasionally run higher than normal based on the speed/gear - Not sure if that's a slip though.
    Hmm, okay. If the speed sensor was bad, I would have expected to see the speedometer either not working, or sporadically jumping around.

Guess we'll see how it goes, and whether the problem is gone for good.
  • MY 2007 TAHOE TRANSMISSION WENT OUT AT 40,000 MILES THAT WAS KIND OF UPSETTING FOR A 40K+ SUV.TOOK IT TO THE DEALER AND THEY OBVIOUSLY KNEW ABOUT THE PROBLEM IN THESE 2007 TAHOE DUE TO THE FACT THAT THEY DIDN'T EVEN TRY TO ARGUE WITH ME. TOOK IT RITE IN AND GOT A NEW TRANSMISSION TRUCK RUNS GOOD NOW.
  • wow i had no idea how many people have had so much trouble with this vhicle. i own a 2007 sub ltz, not only has my tranny been replaced, my engine was rebuilt twice due to constant oil loss, the problem continued, they then replaced the engine, this all happened before 20k on it. they also replaced 2 computers, 2 batteries, and countless other problems, i now have 38k on it and the low oil light is on again, and my differential is very noisy, im the original owner of this gm nightmare, and yesterday i got a recall on my windshield washer pump, it states it may short out and catch fire, the dealer has had this truck more than i have, it now sits in my garage as my wife is scared to death of this chevy time bomb, they keep telling me to bring it back, but i am so tired of it, i dont mean to carry on and on, but please steer clear of the 2007 suburban and tahoe, GM COULD CARE LESS ABOUT US NOW I SEE WHY THEY FAILED, I HOPE YOU ALL DO TOO.
  • one last comment on this, if anyone can assist me or point me in some direction,at this point and time because im really just worn out and totally disgusted with chevy, i keep my dealership and there mechanics busy with warranty work, now wonder they wont fix it right, they get paid from gm, why should they? thanks for nothing.
  • my speedometer was acting up. i think you are getting responses from another person with a similar problem. MY speedometer would either not work at all or jump all over. I explained this to the tranny shop before they rebuilt the second tranny. you would think they would have known to change the sensor/.:)
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,081
    Dusty17,
    Can you please email me your contact information including mailing address and a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and Edmunds user name? I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Dear Dusty 17,
    I feel your pain. I am having a serious tranny problem with my 2008 Tahoe and I am hoping that someone can help me with it.
    For 6 months the tranny intermittently will not shift from 2nd to 3rd at low speeds- it goes to neutral. Also the speedometer goes immediately to zero and the RPMs are high. Once I turn the motor off and restart it, everything is back to normal as if nothing happened.
    I have taken it to the dealer severla times- he has done little as he cannot reproduce the problem and "the computer doens't tell him what to do."
    The only thing that he has done is replace the transmission connector terminals as they had an electrical short.
    The problem continues, less frequently.
    Please, any ideas?
    chevyperson,
    I apologize for your experience. Can you please email me with your contact information including mailing address and a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and Edmunds user name? I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • rityrity Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Tahoe that began shifting hard in January, 2010 while it was still under warranty so I took it to my dealer to check. They stated nothing was wrong and as a after thought recommended a flush which I declined. 11 months later the transmission totally goes out with only 84,000 miles, of course no warranty anymore! Cost $2500 to repair. I put a complaint in with GM because I felt the dealer should bear some of the cost since I brought it to them while it was under warranty and they stated it was fine. It went through arbitration and I'm sure no one will be shocked to learn I lost. GM stated because I declined the flush they ruled against me. Would a flush have told anyone anything about a transmission going out? Should I move on with filing a better business bureau complaint? I think GM should be ashamed that the transmissions are going out with such low mileage!
  • Your problem sounds more electrical than mechanical. If you let off of the gas as it winds to the top of second and let it idle down can you then slowly accelerate and get it into 3rd or 4th? I had to rebuild mine as it was missing 2nd and 4th - no assistance from GM or local dealer whom I have bought numerous vehicles from. I'm now having idle problems at 100k, burning 3qts of oil in 1000miles. It's really a shame. I'd love nothing more than to put all of my money for autos into American built but they're committment to quality and customer satisfaction sucks! They know very clearly about all the transmission problems and refused to recall. They'll get no more of my money!
  • I have 2007 Tahoe which has run great until today. I came to an intersection and stopped. When I accelerated the truck wouldn't move. I shifted down to 1 and it moved, shifted into 2 still going 3 was ok but no drive. When I stopped again, same thing. Anyone have a similar issue? What was the fix?

Thank you!
  • Not sure if this is a transmission or engine issue but this is what my Tahoe is doing. When I am excellerating and RPMs near 2000 my tach will bounce and it feels like the carb is choking as if it is not getting enough gas or maybe like I am tapping the gas pedal. If I press the gas pedal down it hesitates and then goes on without a problem. This is more noticable going up hill. Another thing I have noticed is that when slowing to make a turn upon pressing the gas to resume speed while the wheels are turned it is like a momentary dead zone. This feels very similar to when you try to make a sharp turn with 4 wheel drive engaged. Dealer can not find anything. Any ideas???
  • jonayjonay Posts: 5
    Fuel filter first, if that dosent do it then the fuel pump.
    pinchbug,
    Can you please email me with your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • This is def something new to me. 1st and 2nd gears work perfect. After going into 3rd it wont downshift on its own until you break. The engine sounds like it is working harder to accelerate after 3rd gear also. Anyone ever seen or know anything about this. I have an appt Wed to get it looked at, but i dont want to be taken for a fool either. So any help would be great!

Thanks,

Nick
  • lesleevlesleev Posts: 3
    I have a 03 Tahoe I have only driven on weekends and have babied so it would last a long time. But the transmission just went out at 80,000 miles. I thought it was a fluke that my brothers 06 went out at 70,000 miles!. What years are bad for these?