Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Transmission Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,166
    marka09,
    I looked into your case # 71-944296379. This case is still open and your agent is still looking into this. I would recommend continuing to work with your agent. Please feel free to contact me with any questions comments or concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • markus5670markus5670 Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Z71 Tahoe with 95000 kilometers. My transmission is now gone for the second time. I have an appointment with the place that rebuilt it (dealership) on tuesday for them to check it out. It was rebuilt 3 years and 30000 kilometers ago. Thats twice in under 60,000 miles!
    I have had to replace the two front wheel bearings (not cheap), the cluster as well as the rear third brake light. The vinyl on the side of my seat has cracked.
    This is the one toy I bought myself, I love my truck, but I'm so dissapointed. I bought it in 2005. It had 27 k on it and has never been off road and totally cherished since the day I've had it
  • richlejarichleja Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Tahoe with only 61000 original miles and a blown transmission. Does anyone have the link to GM customer service to register the problem? Thanks.
  • mckie1mckie1 Posts: 3
    edited May 2011
    I have a 2007 Chevy Suburban LT ( loaded) X2w drive at 86,500 miles, my transmission completely went out no drive gears only reverse. I was still under warranty, my dealer told me that the problem was fixed. the dealer took out the burnt gears and clutch and repair the bad parts in the transmission. A certified manufactured rebuilt was never an option for me. This was done in April 2010. Here on Friday 05/13/2011, the transmission is out again for the second time with 118,000 miles. Now with no warranty coverage the dealer"says we can give you a Certified transmission from the factory for $4,100.00. ( $2984 for the unit and $1,125 is everything else) who has $4,100, to fix something that should been fix correctly the first time. Help...a GM customer service link or contact info would be great.
  • markus5670markus5670 Posts: 3
    I'm going to get a tranny from monster transmission shipped to a trans shop for 2000 and 450 to get installed. No more GM crap
    mckie1,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage, involved dealership and a brief description of the problem you are experiencing sent to me in an email.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Okay, I sent the email of the requested information. Thank you for your time. If you did not receive the info, please advise.
  • marka09marka09 Posts: 20
    See my last post for the phone number of the GM Executive Escalation Department. But be prepared for "It's too old". They will want to know if you own any other GM products and if you are in the market for a new vehicle. It appears that those 2 questions help make the decision. :lemon:
  • marka09marka09 Posts: 20
    I heard back from GM Executive Escalations Department. The Final Answer is NO - they won't help. Not just NO, but Hell No! Reason - the vehicle is TOO OLD. They offered me a vehicle loyalty certificate if I was in the market for a new vehicle - what a joke! NO WAY I WOULD EVER BUY A GM PRODUCT AGAIN. :mad:

I have the phone number of the Executive Escalation Office if anyone would like to call about their vehicle.

I really would love to hear from people who have had transmission problems with their Tahoes, Suburbans, and Yukons. I honestly think that they have a problem that GM won't admit to. Perhaps a class action suit!!!! And to think that the American tax payers bailed them out... should have let them go out of business.
  • tah04tah04 Posts: 8
    Bro I got 80K on my '04 tahoe, on its 4th thats right 4th transmission. GM don't give a hoot. Hi my name is christina send me your info and i'll look into for you then is carmon then it bob frank joe jim this is all a way to blow smoke up our butts. They don't care I bought a toyota best thing I ever did. And your 100% right we should have let them go out of business 20 billion for what so they can screw the same people that fed them. GM just sucks thats all there is to it. And a loyalty certificate thats the biggest joke what did they give you 1k off an a $60k car ooooooooooooooo. a class action law suit you bet.
    Good Morning Caron,

I appreciate you setting up a case # and everything, but i have know information about my case. What I do have is a dealership wanting their $4,100.00 and storage fee for a vehicle that is ready for pick up after your group left message. A 10 day repair took 3 days to complete and monies are due. Help what to do i am waiting for a response on my case and I really need my suburban back (only family car). Help

Thanks
    Marcus
  • rafael7rafael7 Posts: 1
    Add me to the list of unsatisified customers of GM's Tahoe's. My 2004 Tahoe transmission recently did the same everyone else has been describing and GM will do nothing about it. If you're really serious about a class action suit, count me in. :mad:
  • decomomdecomom Posts: 1
    I have an 07 Tahoe with 54K miles that has had a "jump" in the transmission since I bought it used 2 years ago. I have had it into the dealer and they said it was fixed but the jump into 1st gear is getting more and more frequent. I am taking my family on vacation next week and am very worried about our safety in this car. Now that I think about it....the dealer that sold me the Tahoe probably knew about the issue. I am dropping it off at the dealership today....no loaner car and this is my main vehicle!!
  • bromerobromero Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    I got the same deal going on, bought my first vehicle (on my own at least) had issues with the brakes and went through hell and 2 vehicle-less days getting the dealership to fix that. Get my car back 2 days ago and I'm driving the little boy to school when I hit about 50mph and let off the accellerator and it doesnt "catch" the lower gear. Had to stop at a red light, park, and restart. Happened again after I dropped him off this time I hit the gas (as I had cars behind me) and it was able to go into a higher gear but it feels like its missing 3rd (?) going down? Works well under 40 MPH might have to keep it that way, no money to pay to fix it after taking out a loan to buy the car

2003 Tahoe Z71, 8100 5.3L 112,5(00?) miles.

*Edit - I'm glad this is a recent forum and not a bunch of posts from 3 years ago.....
    decomom,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership or when the problem has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • bromerobromero Posts: 2
    Update on mine (2003 Tahoe Z71, 8100 5.3L 112,5(00?) miles)

Took it back to the USED CAR dealer and they told me they would fix it. Gave me a 2010 Toyota Corola as a loaner too. Know this wont be much help to most, but I guess know your dealer?

Bought the car May 31 and they have replaced the brakes (Midas quoted me at $2800) and now the transmission ($2500-$3500).

Would be willing to share the dealer, but I'm not going to advertise for them. Will respond to a PM though, dealer is in Alaska...... :sick:
  • keytohomekeytohome Posts: 2
    Would like to get that dealer info from you if you don't mind. My '04 Tahoe is experiencing some transmission issues now, and I would really like to find an "honest" place to take it to....seeing as how the place I got it from in '07 was anything BUT honest!! Thanks.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,884
    lol, you went to see Cal?

It's not like you guys have a lot of choice, if you stick with dealers.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• keytohomekeytohome Posts: 2
    lol nope, I didn't see Cal, I didn't see Cal, I didn't see Cal. lol It was some other little bootleg dealership on Old Seward...but not RWB.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,884
    Believe it or not, I used to get good service at Midas in Anchorage when I lived there. Started going there after meeting the owner, but I think they still have a good reputation. Back in the day I know they fixed a few transmissions. Usual disclaimers - that was back in the 90s.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Well, guess from the other messages mine is not a unique problem. The trans in our 2004 Tahoe appears to have suddenly died while we were 300 miles from home. It didn't give us any warning that this was going to happen. It started slipping on the trip down from 2->3 and then it seemed to slip in 4th. It looked like we would be able to make it home driving in 3rd and it just began slipping to the point we couldn't keep up any speed. This vehicle only has 88,000 miles and it has never towed anything so the trans has not been subjected to a lot of stress. No wrench light. No warning messages in the message area. Currently sitting at a GM service dealer until they reopen on Tuesday. 6-9 months ago we had to have a pressure regulator solenoid replaced in the trans because of extended delayed shifting going from 2->3. Not sure if it's related to this but these transmissions should last longer than this. Not sure what we'll do now. Overall, this vehicle has been a bit of a disappointment. Many small items going wrong, including the infamous gauge cluster problem. Infamous seat heater problems, Side mirror motor burned out. Seat memory not working. We got the cluster issue taken care of by GM but I doubt we are going to get any help with this tran issue.
  • carriekcarriek Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 tahoe...transmission went out at 16000 miles,again at 32000mile and again at 108000 mile. I pull a small run about boat 2x a year. I was told that after tranny went out twice while under warranty that if it ever broke that they would cover it the lifetime that I owned the truck...Well I was stupid and did not get it in writing and the Chevy dealer closed...guess Im screwed. So glad I just purchased a brand new Nissan Murano...gonna fix the chevy and probably put it up for sale....
  • Hey Everyone,

A few months bought a 2003 Chevy Tahoe with 130,000 miles on it, and though it was meticulously maintained and am a little concerned. Recently I have noticed that in the morning when the vehicle isnt warmed up I am getting a hard shift when i start to drive more than 10 miles an hour. It only lasts about 10 minutes, and is only when i am initially accelerating, but I am a college student, and cant afford a major repair, so if its something simple or if anyone has had a similar issue please let me know. Thanks guys.
  • joconleyjoconley Posts: 5
    That was the original problem that sparked the inception of this forum. From the research I've done as well as personal experience, this appears to be the Speed Sensor. It's a $15 part that sits on top of the transfer case.

My truck did the same thing in the mornings and had to warm up for 5-8 minutes to avoid the hard shifts. Happened only in the winter time though.

Let me know if that works for you. Apparently others have reported success
  • ratt069ratt069 Posts: 1
    Bought a new 2001 Tahoe in 2001. Loved it. I Put alot of miles on the Tahoe. 336000 miles to date. But 4 transmissions later Ive had my fill. Was told recently that at every 30000 miles the tranny oil should have been changed. I'm in the process of getting the 2001 tranny fixed again and trying to get rid of it. Is there any word of tranny issues on the 2011 Tahoe?
  • I have a 2000 Chevy Tahoe. Had for about 5yrs, runs great except for when you start it and press on gas pedal it wont go any faster then 5miles an hour no matter how hard you step on gas. I can floor it and all it will do is lug and knock. It eventually does smooth out. I thought maybe fuel pump? I have several friends that have tahoes but non with this problem. Embarrassing because if I pull out ahead of somebody I have to pull over because I wont be able to speed up.. Also check engine light is always on. Emissions Im told??
  • 129K miles, one owner. Wife driving in 2WD. Went out of gear. Engine rev'd up. Would not go into Drive or Reverse. Got engine code for O2 Sensor. Changed it out. Light went out. All good. Yesterday, did same thing but no engine light came on. Pulled over. Put in Park. In PARK position, it started to roll forward, had to apply brakes to keep it from rolling forward on flat ground. Turned off engine. Re-started it and tried to put in DRIVE. Heard something spin up then down...and a little clanking under truck. Put it in 4WD and she was fine, no more noise. Drove the rest of the day in 4WD. Late last night, drove around town in 2WD. No immediate issues. Tahoe has not had Trans Fluid changed for life of vehicle. No Engine Light right now, no burning smell, or other noises now.
    Usually drive in 2WD and almost entirely highway mileage around 70mph. Any thoughts, suggestions? Can I drive in 4WD indefinitely? Another O2 sensor to change? There are 4 total.">
  • I have a 2004 GMC Yukon XL that appears to be having the same problem that you describe. Will shift up to 3rd, but will not downshift. Have to stop, turn off the engine for a few minutes, then pray that it works properly. I don't see any resolutions on here, only complaints. Did you have to replace the transmission?
  • I also have a 2000 tahoe z71 5.7 usually when it sits for a while (24hrs) at least. It starts fine but when I get on the gas sometimes it seems like it dosent want to go, usually it will sound deep and almost wants to cut out, sometimes sounds like it back fires too, but after a little bit sometimes holding down on the gas is picks up and smooths out. RPM's dont jump just starts to go and after its wormed up it seems fine, plus it only dose it from a stop not while im driving 30 and get on it, it seems fine......replaced plug wires, plugs, distributer cap and roter. looking into fule pump and fuel filter myself, hope its not the injectors.....you figure it out yet?
  • UPDATE: I put Lucas (brand) Transmission Fluid in last night. The TF was low. It is running fine in 2WD & 4WD. I'll keep an eye on it but I plan to change Tranny fluid/filter/gasket at payday.