Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Cabrio Warning Lights and Problem Codes

Comments

• craffieldcraffield Posts: 13
    JD,

I just traded my 98 Wrangler straight across for a 98 cabrio. The car had 89,000 miles on it some surface rust, but overall very good shape. The dealer had the car listed for 4200.00. In the trade, I know I got the worse end of the deal but the gas in the wrangler was killing me.

Kelly
  • hallkanehallkane Posts: 20
    Greetings!
    I hope I can shed some light for a few of you about the check engine light issue.
    I have a 99 GLS and I kept getting a P1582 code when my check engine light came on. It was also hesitating when pulling up hills etc. It is a manual transmission, so I could control the "lugging-down" of the engine to minimize the hesitation, but I could not eliminate it. The P1582 issue has to do with Emissions. We tricked it many times to get it to go off, but eventually could no longer pass the DMV inspection. Over the course of a year or so, we did everything -- changed all hoses, spark plugs, spark plug wiring harness, updated the muffler etc. Here's what we eventually found:
    In the air intake and throttle assembly, we sprayed throttle cleaner and used a brass bristle brush to clean the crud that had collected there. The crud didn't let the throttle reach a fully closed or fully open position...hence the emissions problem. I also have a perpetually quirky position # 3 spark plug. It sparks "dirty" and usually requires the plug and plug wire to be replaced. Between keeping an eye on that plug and keeping the throttle and air intake area clean, I've not had further trouble. Good Luck. My Cabrio now has over 127K miles on it.

Hallkane
  • pstreckpstreck Posts: 3
    i have a 01 cabrio and the error code 1582 keeps appearring . idle adaptation at limit what does this mean
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Hi, pstreck, and welcome! You might also want to ask your question in the "Ask the Community" box on the right side of this page. It's a great place to get a quick answer to a quick question.

Claire

HOST

Check my prior detailed message.
    It involves the flap in your air intake.
    It does not have its usual full range of motion.
  • charocflcharocfl Posts: 18
    Wow, sounds like I have a sibling to your 99 Cabrio. I just bought my 99 with 96K miles last month. I to am having the check engine lite go on, several times now after having it reset. I already have had an O2 sensor replace by the dealer before I bought the car but the codes I keep getting are
    P1582 ** Idle Adaptation at Limit
    P0171 ** Fuel Trim,Bank1 System too Lean
    P0442 ** EVAP Emission Contr.Sys.(Small Leak) Leak Detected
    & now P0506 (new) ** Idle Control System RPM Lower than Expected
    Note I found this link which lists all the code details for the 99 Cabrio at:
    http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/vw/vw.dtc.table.htm

My machanic said I need to have a new mass air flow sensor replace to take care of at least one of the codes. I need to do a smoke test to find the leak in the emission control system before he could give me an estimate for repair. But he not even addresed the idle issue yet as this code did not show he ran the engin check read out.

PS: He also said that the crankshaft forward seal is leaking & should be replaced some time soon. Is this a difficult area to access & are the parts rather expensive as the current estimate is about $550. I am going to seek a few other estimates before I comite to the repairs.

Also another good link I found....
    https://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/62/99622977.html

Again feedback & suggestions welcome.
    Char O.
    MI, FL
    Hi Again CharO-- Recognize your name from the other thread.
    You can't speak for the care of your car before you bought it, but I'm the single owner of mine. We have kept a log of all repairs, oil changes etc on our 127K miles. We have never had a seal leak or mass air flow issue etc. If you have the engine hesitation we had, with the check engine light, using the brass bristle brush with spray carbeurator cleaner on the flapper in your air throttle seems worth a try before all the other expenses. The little rod that holds the flapper, had crud on the rod..and wouldn't let the flapper swing open and closed to its max. We were flabbergasted by the simplicity of the repair for all our headaches. To be sure, we've had other repairs (a starter, water pump, shocks, wheel bearings) but nothing as troublesome as the P1582 issue! I have no complaints about the repair needs of my VW -- except for that one.
    Hallkanea
  • kdeaneskdeanes Posts: 1
    Where can I find instructions on how to clean this part? My Check engine light is on and ran the diagnostics. This showed a problem with the MAF sensor. From everything that I've read it could just need a good cleaning. Does anyone know how much it would cost to have this part replaced?
  • mte2mte2 Posts: 1
    Sorry don't have an answer for you. But I wonder if you can tell me where is the connector to plug in the diagnostics reader. I just went to the auto parts store to get a read out for a check engine light on my 2001 Cabrio, but they cannot locate the plug in.

Can you help out?

mte2
  • The diagnostic connector can be found directly above the cigarette lighter. It is covered by a rectangular plastic cover, which if you look real close has a diagnostic emblem on it. It is easy to pry open and pop out, but be careful as it comes off with a jerk and I tend to scratch my hand everytime I pop it off.
  • Anytime any car won't start make sure battery cables are tight and CLEAN. It is a common problem for a cable to become loose and loose connection. Especially if tehy are not kept clear of corrosion.
  • when i start the car the a/c light flashes on and off and then it stops flashing while i am driving?
  • I am experiencing a ODBII Code P0341 cam sensor problem. I believe this is the sensor on the distributor. There is no other sensors on the engine besides the crank. I replaced the sensor and cleared the code. The code reappears. The timing belt was replaced.

Any suggestions?

Thank you Kurt
  • vapetevapete Posts: 2
    had my daughters car popped with two codes:
    p1296 - fuel air control
    don't remenber code number but is was coolant temp incorrect
    i cleared the codes as the car seems to be running fine and they have not returned

any help?

2.0L with 69500 miles. recently purchased.
  • My 2000 Cabrio just failed inspection because of the OBD. A few issues that needed to be addressed were taken care of. One was a new coil which caused the car to stall on the highway. Car has always been a tough car to start and hopefully the coil will repair this. Is this a nagging problem with the 2L engine? Back to the codes though, I have a total of 5 code issues. Three of them I think are related to the coil issue. P0300, P0302, P0303 Misfire cylinders. The 2 other codes appear to be a conflict on each other. P1128 - Long Term Fuel Trim mult.,Bank1 System too Lean and P0172 - Fuel Trim,Bank1 System too Rich. This is a bit confusing to me. One code too rich other code too lean.

Anybody have this problem before?

To top it off, the check engine light isn't even coming on. Did a bulb burn out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dino
  • jcashelljcashell Posts: 2
    I was driving in the rain on the highway today and the car started sort of chugging and the engine light came on. The car died. now this happened on a winter day a year ago after I had gassed up the car. I used dry gas and it corrected it. Im not sure that the engine light had come on that time though. I can start the car and move it in the driveway. The light is still on though. I had it towed off the highway. Just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem. thanks Jean

I gassed up the car yesterday, and it is a 99 cabrio.
  • celested9celested9 Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just bought a used 2001 Cabrio and yesterday a warning symbol appeared on the dash. It looks like an engine with a lightening bolt through it. The car still runs but I don't want to damage anything by continuing.

What do I need to do?

Thx. Celeste
  • It's so funny reading all these posts because my 02 Cabrio has had most of these things happen. There's been so many that I can't really remember the fixes off the top of my head but if anyone is desperate for a fix they can't figure out, let me know and I will check with my repair guy (we've become good friends after my Cabrio has been in there so many time).

The latest fixes I can remember:

The stalling out problem in the rain was resolved by simply replacing the coil. I have had some similar issues in the past after filling up like some previous posts and one time I think replacing the fuel filter helped but we never really figured out what exactly the problem was there.

Wheel bearings have always been a problem on this car and have had to repair/replace several times.

In addition, the car's underneath always seems to get rusted out around the muffler, etc. and eventually leads to having to weld the pipes together or replace the entire exhaust sysytem..

My little temperature light had been coming on, which ended up being a leak in the coolant tank.

My check engine light is now on, which my repair guy says is because the car needs a new cadalytic converter (an emissions thing so will not pass inspection unless fixed) and also needs a new radiator (which is something that has to be done asap).

My E-break light is now on as well which is something related to one of the e-break cables. The e-break still works however. I've always had problems relating to the e-break.

So with several sensor lights on, and several problems on this car in the past, I feel your pain. I have had a lot of fun in this car, but for a 2002 and having been the sole owner of this car, seems like more problems than normal, especially compared with a Honda as mentioned previously. My repair guy agrees.

This is why, despite my love for the car, I have finally decided to move on (after several years of my repair guy telling me to do so) to a Honda or Toyota.

Again, if anyone has particular problems they want to discuss with me, I'm sure I've had them and can make a few recommendations, but my best recommendation would be to trade it in and get a more reliable car, unless you don't do much driving and just want a little convertible to chug around your town in. And NEVER go to the dealer unless your car is still covered under warranty. Go to some one you trust!

I've decided to trade my 02 Cabrio with 138k miles in for a Prius 2010. I am only getting 2300 for my trade-in, which they say is the 'auction value' but you could probably get more if you trade-in at a car retailer that also sells VWs because the KBB trade-in value is more like 4-5k, and it helps to not have a bunch of miles and warning sensors on. I would not trade-in for another VW though. Too many problems and most private repair shops dont have the computers to read the german cars.

Good luck!
  • THE LIGHT WAS COMING ON ONCE IN A WHILE.CHANGE THE OIL AND OIL PRESSURE SWITCHES AND CLEANED THE ENGINE,NOW THE LIGHT IS ON ALL THE TIME.NO LEAKS,OIL LEVEL IS GOOD,NO ENGINE NOISES.HAS 192000 MILES ON IT.
  • rhondadrhondad Posts: 1
    My 2002 Cabrio also has that light with the lightening bolt through it- :cry: I have no idea what it means- have you figured it out yet?