Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• Hmmm...I beg to differ on that.

Chevy-Cadillac is quite common here in California. Just two off the top of my head, in large metro areas are Stewart Cad/Chevy in Colma (Burlingame near San Francisco) and Graham Cad/Chevy in Santa Barbara. We also have Cadillac/Mazda (BIG dealer) in Santa Cruz.

If you google these two keywords "cadillac chevrolet" you will get pages and pages of Cadillac--Chevy duals.

The two dealers I mentioned follow the pattern someone else noticed...large Chevy showrooms and smaller separate Cadillac showrooms...which is probably a good idea. But the service areas are the same of course.

interestingly, the Mazda dealer has Caddies and Mazdas side by side.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,909
    My local dealer is Caddy/Buick/Pontiac/GMC

The smaller town where my mom lives had a Caddy/Olds/Buick/GMC/Honda, but then it changed hands and is soley Honda...I dunno if the Caddy went to the Chevy dealer (who also owns the Ford franchise) or if it just vanished altogether.
  • It would be interesting to know what regions/cities are Cadillac's biggest sellers. I know San Francisco isn't, because I never see these cars very much in the Bay Area and the dealers all look a bit forelorn. I bet Florida, Vegas, San Diego, Palm Desert, Detroit, etc. Retirement strongholds.

But you know, I don't really know.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    In Atlanta Caddy has stand-alone dealership.
  • I'm sure there are some cities that could support a stand-alone Cadillac dealership no problem. It would be a tough row to hoe where I live....unless of course the stand-alone is a factory-owned store and they are supporting the rent just to have presence on a prestige auto row. It's like spending money on advertising. The big dealer in SF proper is Ellis Brooks and he sells the whole GM range, including trucks.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,909
    It aint Seattle, I know that. Although the Caddy dealers here don't have any bad reps that I know of, anyway.

Luckily this place doesn't sell Caddy
  • I think whichever Cadillac dealers are selling the most SUVs are the ones prospering--that seems to be Cadillac's sweet spot right now---the trucks.
  • bigo08bigo08 Posts: 102
    I've seen a few stand alone Cadillac dealers here So Cali.. as Well as Chevy
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    As I said the preferred dualing is:
    Cadillac/Saab/Hummer
    Pontiac/GMC/Buick
    Chevrolet
    Saturn

BUT they are all independent and can do what they want but this is what GM is pushing for in markets that can handle it. If a Cadillac dealer cannot stand alone and make money then it will dual with somebody else. Many of the duals were done many years ago and it will take time.

Here is a presentation that explains it.

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/IROL/84/84530/presentations/gm_080906L- aNeve.pdf
  • In the Bay Area no one drives American cars and no mechanics know how to properly fix them. It's amazing.

In Austin, the Cadillac dealership and showroom is on par with BMW and Lexus. However, it has a Buick and a Saturn dealership in separate buildings on the same large lot. (No Chevy/Pontiac/GMC crap) The worst luxury dealerships here in Austin are a tossup between the Infiniti dealership (They know it's crappy and are building a new showroom.) and the north Austin Acura dealership. (I refused to buy a TL because that dealership scared me too much. The Toyota dealership is better. The Lexus dealership is, of course, top notch!)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,487
    On an "Automile" southwest of Boston, there is a Caddy/Hummer dealer. Which I don't think has a great reputation for customer service, see below. And there are stand-alone Caddy dealers around Boston.

My father-in-law, having retired, decided to trade up from his truck to a Caddy. Went to the above mentioned Caddy/Hummer delaer ready to buy. He was treated so badly that he drove 3 miles further south to the Lexus dealer. He's now happily driving an AWD GS300. The Caddy sale should have been a slam-dunk. Way to confirm the stereotype, Caddy of Norwood!

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

there is a Caddy/Hummer dealer. Which I don't think has a great reputation for customer service, see below..... Way to confirm the stereotype

Per JD power customer service index (dealer maintenance and service during first 3 years of ownership) the top 4 are Lincoln, Cadillac, Saturn and then Lexus. Since Hummer is less than 3 years old it is not listed. Toyota is well below the average.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2005092&searc- h=1

For sales satisfaction it is Jaguar, Cadillac, Lincoln, Porsche, Lexus, Saturn. Toyota is well below the average again.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2006250
    One of the discussions on this forum should be what does the "standard of the world" mean.

In my above post Cadillac and Lincoln both score as close to the top in "standard of the world" for sales, service and maintenance at the dealerships.

For Customer retention it has a way to go to be the standard per this quantitative measurement. It measures the percentage of new-vehicle buyers and lessees who replace a vehicle that was previously purchased new with a new vehicle from the same nameplate.

The order is Lexus, Toyota, Honda, Chevrolet, Hyundai,Ford and then Cadillac, MB, Subaru, BMW.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2005249
    Cadillac scores 7th in Initial quality well above industry average but cannot be said to be the "standard of the world". But then again there is not much difference between the top brands. MB/BMW are well below the average.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2006082

In long term dependibility (3 years) it is Lexus, Mercury, Buick,Cadillac, Toyota and again not a lot of differences between the top players.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2006133
    Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study shows that here Cadillac can improve. It is 12th and below the industry leaders of Lexus, MB, BMW and others. Perhaps improving here could make Cadillac more deserving of "standard of the world"?

“There are basically two schools of thought among consumers in determining which new-vehicle model to buy,” said Parker. “Many consumers are looking for a painless, trouble-free ownership experience, which, as we find in IQS, is certainly important. However, there is a large group of buyers who are most interested in things like comfort, style and performance. This group is often willing to put up with a few quality snags to get a vehicle they truly feel passionate about. For this group of consumers, there is more to an appealing vehicle than a lack of problems—even a lack of design problems.”

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2006100
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    JD Powers is meaningless to most actual owners because they don't factor in long-term costs or reliability. They also don't weigh the problems properly, IMO. A door seal isn't a big deal - but a dead alternator at 20K is.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    ...is currently dualed with a Toyota/Scion franchise! However, they are planning to build a new stand-alone dealership a few miles away. The current site used to be a stand-alone Cadillac dealership, but the land on which their Toyota franchise stood was bought by developers and the old building demolished.

Most Cadillac dealers in the Philadelphia area are stand-alone. However, in small towns upstate, they are combined with other GM marques. One dealership in Carbon County sells the entire GM line-up and even has a factory that builds fire engines!
  • lokkilokki Posts: 1,200
    This series of posts about JD Powers is fascinating.

I find it very interesting that having the best dealer experiences don't translate into sales for either Lincoln or Jaguar.

However, I can say from personal experience that I don't like the BMW dealer experience nearly as much as I did the Acura experience, but I prefer the BMW ownership experience over owning an Acura.

Since I know I'm going to be asked, I'd say that the ownership experience includes the way the car performs, the way the dealer treats me and handles repairs, and the feeling of the quality of the car.

Admittedly, I'm probably not representative in this regard. Back in the 70's I owned (and loved) a couple of Alfa Romeo's.

While they really weren't any trouble as long as you kept them maintained, there was always a certain terror factor in owning them, caused by the certain knowledge that if you broke down any distance from your mechanic, you might die there before you'd find someone who could work on the car.

Despite this, I really enjoyed the cars. They were beautiful, and beautiful to drive. They were a pleasure that made me overlook the problems.

I guess the nearest comparable today would be the Mini. A not-so-great quality car that is very popular.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    What matters to an "actual owner" is how his "actual dealer" treats him. It doesn't matter how good or bad any brand is in a statistical survey, what matters is how good a specific dealer is to their customers. In my town (city :confuse: ) we have one Cadillac_Chevy dealer, one Buick_Pontiac_GMC dealer, one toyota dealer (actually owned by the Chevy dealer), one Ford_Mercury_Lincoln dealer (who owned the Olds_Caddy_GMC dealership, and now ownes the Buick_Pontiac_GMC dealership). J. D. Powers surveys won't say who is really best here, one really has to sample all of them. I really liked my old Buick dealer, when he was a stand alone, but when the Pontiac dealer took over Buick, I was less satisfied. The Olds_Caddy dealer was OK, but not great. The Chevy_Cadillac dealer is better I think. I'm still waiting for them to find a program SRX though.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    I think that it is important to remember that J. D. Powers serves the industry, not the public. They are in business to help the industry understand what they are doing right or wrong on average.

The salesman who is helping me with finding the program SRX used to work for the old Cadillac dealer, and told me that Cadillac was not pleased with their performance as a dealership, so that is why they lost the franchise when they took over the Buick_Pontiac dealer. He says that the Chevy dealer is doing much better in terms of sales, which was the primary problem.