Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    Sorry, but the CTS is RWD, not FWD; does not share platforms with the Aura. The CTS is a sigma platform model, and only shares the platform with the STS and SRX. Perhaps you meant the BLS, Cadillac's European Cimmarron.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Shoot, what kind of lucky kids are getting out of school these days and straight into a luxury vehicle? Is Mommy or Daddy paying for it? Heck, my first new car was a 1987 Chevrolet Caprice Classic and I paid for it! It was enough of a luxury vehicle for me.

I hear ha, Lemko. But you know what USC stands for, dontcha? University of Spoiled Children. I go by a highschool every morning on the way to work, and see new BMWs and Acuras, Infiniti's and Scions there and wonder how this is possible if the economy is allegedly so bad. I had no car of my own in High School, I had to borrow Mom's Ford LTD if she wasn't going to use it that day.... My first car was a 10 year old Ford Galaxie that I got myself for my first year of college, and I was damn happy to have it, even though it looked like Andy Griffith's squad car. The problem is, I don't see any Cadillacs in that parking lot. I do see Tahoes and Denalis, but very few by comparison. It will be very interesting to see if this new generation will even give domestic cars a chance, and when yours and my car buying days are over - what will happen to GM.

What IS going on???
  • bigo08bigo08 Posts: 102
    Thats true about the cars alot of High School kids drive. At my High School most luxury cars are BMW's Acuras, not some much Infiniti, but a few Mercedes cars... I think its safe to say that am the only person at my school under the age of 50 who drives a Lincoln (LS).

For my next car which I will probably get as a graduation gift next year I want a 08 Cadillac CTS or a Lincoln MKZ AWD :)
  • I think its safe to say that am the only person at my school under the age of 50 who drives a Lincoln.

For my next car which I will probably get as a graduation gift next year I want a 08 Cadillac CTS or a Lincoln MKZ AWD.

Good for you! ;)
    It's nice to hear someone supporting the domestics (well, even if the MKZ is made in Mexico).
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011

I can agree with that :)

Rocky
    I truly think the TSX/TL combo that Acura has in play could serve as a good study-case for Caddy.

louiswei,

I 100% agree the TSX/TL combo is something to learn from but improve upon for Cadillac. ;)

Rocky
    62'

I 100% agree and love your idea of the $29K price point and have GM, move a little up market with the CTS to give the 1-series Caddy competitor some breathing room. This is the approach BMW, is going with it's 1-series and GM, needs to follow suit. :shades:

Rocky
    The Northstar does not need to be included in the CTS, because it's an engine that would be to costly and in a couple of years it will be bye bye and will be put in the GM Museum Hall of Fame. ;) The new "Ultra" V8 is ground breaking, cheaper to build and will meet all the required CAFE/EPA demands. ;)

Rocky
    Well you better buy one by 2010, because the DTS will move upmarket and will be RWD/AWD because that's what the market wants. ;)

Rocky
    Spoiled rotten :P Congrats if you get one pal !!! :)

Rocky
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Nooo, the new cadillac would not be going after the 1 series. that is going to be a tiny car and not suited for american roads and luxury. I believe it is a gamble that will not pay off for them UNLESS they really make it some kind of mini sporty car that kicks a**. The $29K caddy would be a 3 series size.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    that is going to be a tiny car and not suited for american roads and luxury.

The 1er is about the same size and weight as the '90s 3er was.

I believe it is a gamble that will not pay off for them UNLESS they really make it some kind of mini sporty car that kicks a**.

135i

You're likely correct about a RWD BLS matching up with the current fat bloated sack of a 3er.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    The Ultra (at 5 liters and perhaps 400 hp) would make some sense in the CTS as an option over the DI 3.6. The big question here is what Cadillac does with the sigma lineup in the future. The 2008 CTS is going to be somewhat bigger than the current CTS (wider), so adding the V8 as a top of the line trim to the CTS would allow the STS to move more up market and could become a V8-V12 model for the future.

As I see it the Ultra is a replacement for the northstar, so I do not see them as different engines in the long term. I do understand that the ultra is all new, and hopefully much better.
    Ok it does look like something that younuns will buy. How much will it be?
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    I would guess the base versions would theoretically be in the upper $20s, but the vast majority would actually go out the door in the low-mid $30s, and a loaded 135i might get close to $40k.
    Ahh the price of Luxury!!!

And that is how this discussion got started!!
    The only V8 we will see in this new CTS, is in the CTS-V with a supercharged 7.0 V8 putting out 550-600 hp. ;)

Rocky
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    in plain english, the CTS-V will get the Corvette V8.

GM's not taking any shortcuts this time around. Expect to see fur flying when this 5-series killer comes out in the fall.

Yes, it IS a 5 series/E-Class/A6 competitor. Cadillac has wisely decided to not do small cars in the U.S. Ever. Get over it. Move on. The CTS is just properly priced without the badge markup. And it's going to blow a hole in the sales of those old stodgy designs. Almost 55K CTS sales last year - that's pretty respectable.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,282
    7.0 V8 putting out 550-600 hp.

What's the gas milage on that one Rocky? :cry:
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    Somehow I don't think gas mileage will matter to the average buyer...