Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• OK, so I've never driven a Mercedes or a BMW. Other than a 1970 Datsun 510 and a 1990 Mitsubishi Galant, I've always owned "American" cars. I put "American" in quotes because some of my Chrysler products were produced in Canada and Mexico. I've averaged a new car every 3 to 4 years since 1970, so I've owned a number of automobiles in my life. My most recent purchase is a 2006 Cadillac STS V6 with nav, BOSE sound system and all the other bells and whistles, list price just over $48K that I picked up in June, '07 for around $36K plus tax and tags.
    With 2 months and around 3K miles, I am nothing but impressed with the car and the dealer. The car runs perfectly. The ride is smooth, the cabin is quiet and the nav system is a dream. My trip from upstate NY to Brooklyn and back ran without a hitch. My mileage on this still new engine and transmission averages around 24 MPG mixed local and highway driving.
    Is Cadillac setting the standard for American cars? My experience is that they are, and from reading about the new CTS and STS for '08, they are again raising the bar.
    Personally, I will always drive a GM car - I refuse to be on the road without OnStar. My wife has severe medical issues, and having OnStar available has assisted us on several occasions. Enjoying the experience of driving a Cadillac just makes that even sweeter!
  • dvpriemdvpriem Posts: 11
    I have a 2004 SRX and the silver paint on the sides of the car has vertical stripes in it from the bad paint job. I think the robot arms were not adjusted property when it got sprayed.

Anyone else with this problem.

Oh, and also the rear end was replaced at 20k miles, you can't replace front exterior light bulbs without dismantling the bumper, and the car will not start at all at times.

But mostly, I am interested in why a honda accord has a beter paint job than my Cadillac SRX
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    The vinyl was pasted onto a metal roof, so you were lucky.
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    It was red and she was very sexy. :shades:

-Rocky
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    silver paint on the sides of the car has vertical stripes in it from the bad paint job.

That does sound poor. Anybody know how a vehicle can have vertical stripes? If there is a problem it is horizontal stripes due to the fact that the paint gun runs along the car horizontally, not vertically. I guess if the paint is put on too heavily it could run.
    Perhaps it has been run through an automatic car wash with brushes that run vertically and have not been maintained?
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    they could start by writing truthful ad copy. The CTS banner ad on the main Edmunds page claims the direct injection V6 is "the most powerful engine ever to bear the Cadillac wreath and crest," which overlooks the entire V-series, the regular V8 STS and XLR, the Escalade, and more than a few luxobarges from the late '60s and early '70s.
    The most powerful "V6".
    I noticed last night that Burn Notice on the USA channel is using a 2008 CTS as one of the cars on the set. Has been on for the last few episodes but I had thought it was an STS.
  • Thats not what it says though and I quote, " Now available with a 304 hp Direct Injection V6, The most powerful engine ever to bear the Cadillac Wreath and Crest."

Doesn't say most powerful V6 it says most powerful engine.
    If you probe the link you find deep inside that they qualify it to V6.
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/cadillac/cts/100905508/elp.html?tab=one

I suspect Edmunds is responsible for the goof.
  • Ahyy Typos are a PITA aren't they?

That does sound like a wicked good engine though. Any word on real world gas mileage for the new CTS?
    Cadillac should have reviewed the ad more critically.

The DI 3.6 CTS is supposed to get better mileage than the base 3.6 did. The new rating for the 2007 CTS are 16/25 while the 2008 is 17/26. What is not clear is whether this is for the new engine or not. The STS has similar ratings and it has the DI standard.

GM's website rates both engines at 26 highway.
  • I could probably swing 30 mpg out of that then. Not bad at all for a fairly large sedan with over 300 hp.
    Someone caught it. It says V6 in the banner ad. I never saw the original.

http://www.edmunds.com/
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    Heh. +1 for veracity, though "most powerful V6 engine" doesn't seem quite as impressive when the other contestants are the Catera and Cimarron. :P
    Heh. +1 for veracity, though "most powerful V6 engine" doesn't seem quite as impressive when the other contestants are the Catera and Cimarron.

Would not the CTS and SRX and STS be included? These also have v6's?
  • You can get the STS with a V6?
    The 2008 STS has the DI 3.6 standard. The 3.6 has been the standard engine.
  • Yeah my bad I was thinking of the DTS for some reason.
    The CTS is at the bottom of the Cadillac line (so far), so one would think that the DTS would be the next level up, with the STS at the top. But that is not quite the way it is.
  • Yeah I think that is where I got screwed up.
    Actually I am not sure you can say either the STS or DTS is the top of the line. They are for different customers. I see DTS in the hands of older folks with either a bunch of money or retired well. STS are a bit younger and then still with a bunch of money, but not the retired kind.
    62'

The STS is the Flagship sedan of the Cadillac line-up pal. It has the most bells and whistles aka "Gadgetology" available. In fact the 08' STS, has the most gadgets found on any GM car. :shades:

-Rocky
    Like what for example?

The DTS does offer adaptive cruise control which is only available on performance versions of the STS.
    I think the base STS is below the DTS, but a loaded STS is more expensive than the DTS. But the DTS is really a DLS (deVille Luxury Sedan), while the STS is a RWD sport sedan. A base STS is prehaps more Luxury sedan (SLS) than sports sedan (STS). The DTS is for people who want a big FWD sedan. The Lucerne is probably a better choice in terms of price.
    Bose 5.1 Studio Surround Sound is not found on DTS, either is Magnetic Ride Control, privacy glass (I know small),

The 2008 STS debuts the latest StabiliTrak stability-control system, which now includes programming that does what you’re told to do when the rear wheels start slipping: actively steer into the skid. That’s right, StabiliTrak now steers as well as pulses individual brakes to maintain the presumed correct course. First a Lexus that parks itself; now a Cadillac that countersteers into a slide. What’s next? A manual transmission that shifts itself? Oh, wait!

To be fair, the advantage of the new StabiliTrak stems from the ability of stability-control systems to detect a skid earlier than most drivers, and it’s likely that by making minor steering corrections in the process early on, StabiliTrak could prevent certain accidents that regular stability-control systems might not be able to catch. Now, we imagine enthusiasts might have a different opinion of this “advancement,” trying as it is to get in on our fun before stamping it out altogether, but we’ll have to see just how intrusive it is before we join (or lead) that chorus. Other new technologies include a lane-departure warning system and blind-spot sensors.

I know I'm leaving out a few others but you get the picture !!!!! ;)

-Rocky
    The STS is the Flagship sedan of the Cadillac line-up pal. It has the most bells and whistles aka "Gadgetology" available. In fact the 08' STS, has the most gadgets found on any GM car.

It may be to you but the guy buying the DTS thinks he is getting the flagship because it is huge and drives down the street in real "big" style. I know owners of both and they are a different breed.
    The DTS is for people who want a big FWD sedan.

Actually the DTS is for people who want a BIG sedan. They do not care if it is FWD/RWD/AWD.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,189
    ...I had a dream last night that I bought a new DTS in White Diamond. It looked a lot like the car I test drove earlier this summer. It was pretty realistic as I was transferring my stuff from my current car to the new one. I wonder if this is an omen? To be brutally honest, the only way I'd be doing this now is if my Seville STS was stolen or destroyed in an accident. I like being free of car payments.