Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    I am looking forward to seeing what we get !!! ;) :shades:

-Rocky
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,561
    I've seen a few 80s-90s MB with gold emblems, but never a vinyl/carriage top, cheesy wheels, whitewall or two-tone tires, etc. I could see some of that on certain Lexus models though.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,670
    Then you need to come to the city of Atlanta, especially inside I-285, and you will see more than you ever dreamed of...
    Of which make?

I should take that back...I once did see a MB with a vinyl top...it was an old W109 (ca. 1970 S-class) that my old MB mechanic was parting out, it had been crashed. The previous owner had put a very thin vinyl on the top - it wasn't even textured, so from any distance it looked like simple two tone paint. And of course there are many down-on-their-luck older MB with blingtastic wheels that weigh so much any handling of the car has been destroyed. But, not to the number of the Caddys, and I am far from Florida.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    do we need to have a totalitarian govenment perhaps, to prevent people from doing hideous things. and who is going to decide what is hideous...

vinyl roofs do not look bad on some types of roof lines. In particular, the deVille's from the 90's had a roof design that looked OK with a padded roof. Color combinations need to look good together, which is not always the case. I do have to say that the 92 Seville roof line was not designed to look good with a vinyl addition. Back in the 70's vinyl roofs were a way to make more styling combinations available, and a lot of people from that era seem to think a padded roof is what makes a Cadillac a Cadillac. Perhaps these people should all be put away.
    It wouldn't hurt Caddy brand equity!
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,144
    ...a new Cadillac DTS Performance in Raven Black with an Ebony leather interior. My car looks very tasteful as it does not have a carriage roof, blingy wheels, or any other self-destructive add-on junk.
    Congrats!

Have fun keepin that baby clean...
    Holy Cow LEMKO !!!!! Congrats on the DTS !!!! I hope you got a good deal on it pal, to pass up the new CTS.

-Rocky
    The dealer didn't even have a CTS to look at as they're practically selling as fast as they come off the carriers! As I was closing the deal on my DTS, a woman came in frantically asking if the dealer had an '08 DTS, but they sold out of them already.

As for the DTS, mine was the nicest one on the lot. It originally sold for $55K, but I knocked 'em down to $43K and got a decent amount for my trade. I also easily qualified for the 0% financing.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    As I was closing the deal on my DTS, a woman came in frantically asking if the dealer had an '08 DTS, but they sold out of them already.

For clarification I think you meant CTS.
    I think very few DTS customers would really want or like a CTS. On the other hand Seville owners might like a CTS.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    originally sold for $55K, but I knocked 'em down to $43K and got a decent amount for my trade. I also easily qualified for the 0% financing.

Looks like Caddy is pushing very hard to get rid of those DTS...

Is 2008 the last MY that it'll be in production? If not, which year will be? I know the end is near for the DTS though.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    Lemko's DTS was a leftover '07. The future production plans that leaked out have Hamtramck building the US-production Zafira and the Volt beginning in 2009 2010, so the DTS replacement (MY 2010 2011?) should be popping up around then.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,505
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=123654?tid=edmunds.il.ho- me.photopanel..2.*

"Simply put, Cadillac has demonstrated that it doesn't have the cachet with enthusiasts to pull off that sort of price premium on its high-end models. "
    I wouldn't say Cadillac will never have that kind of cachet with enthusiasts. I consider myself an enthusiast. Too bad Cadillac didn't already have a CTS-V in the new style. I would've considered one as an alternative to a DTS I ultimately purchased. Cadillac seems to be already doing brisk business with the "regular" CTS.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    There are 2 types of enthusiasts. One is into all the cars, likes to talk about car, loves to drive for fun and has an open mind for everything. Another type drives nothing but manual, complaining about the current 3-series drives like a Buick and would track his/her car whenever got a chance.

Normally the second type wouldn't be caught dead in a DTS and for some reason I've got a hunch that that's the kind of "enthusiast" Caddy is going after with the V-series.
    Yep, you got a good deal pal !!! ;) Good job and congrats once again !!! :shades:

-Rocky
    But this mystique hasn't stopped General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz, a former BMW sales executive, from tossing down the gauntlet. The redesigned '09 Cadillac CTS-V, Lutz proclaims, will not only dust the M3, it will also "put the M5 on the trailer."

Thats confidence
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    It's only confidence if the product can back up his claims. Otherwise, it's just trash talking.
    With a Corvette pushrod engine the CTS_V will not have the kind of "refinement" that the European cars have. The AMG Mercedes cars are really the ones to beat.
    The latest C&D put the CTS in the 10 best category. They also have a comparison test where it was ranked 3rd out of 4. Top was the BMW 328 with the Infinity G35 second. I think that the Infinity did not make it into the top ten though.
    In this case he is talking performance in the handling/speed venue.
    Didn't he once also make a comment that the future lux market would be owned by Caddy and Lexus?

Nothing wrong with a little hype I guess, although nobody expects the upcoming CTS-V to be a bad car anyway.
  • Would this be the same Car and Driver magazine that rated the BMW #1 in its October 2005 comparison test of 8 sport sedans even though the brakes failed and put the car in a full spin? LOL

Car & Driver is nothing but a shill for BMW.
    If that is true, then why have they consistently rated the Cadillac SRX the best midsize luxury SUV :confuse:
    I think that the first generation CTS V-series outperformed the M3, but even so sales of the V-series seems not to have done much. On the otherhand, my understanding has been that Cadillac did not expect to sell very many V-series models anyway, as they are mostly for show. I really can't see why anyone would really want one. A Corvette makes more sense.
  • jkr2106jkr2106 Posts: 231
    ...more sense for who? Some people (not me, BTW) need 4 doors others can't fit in a low-slung coupe. What ever the reason, General Motors in theory should have a car for everyone.
    Didn't he once also make a comment that the future lux market would be owned by Caddy and Lexus?

That would be interesting. Do you have a link?