Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,380
    But please do not tell me they set the global standard! They are getting a little warmer.

Regards,
    OW
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,189
    Infiniti builds a 1957 Rambler wagon on steroids instead.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    I don't think Cadillac ever set the standards for luxury cars. Cadillac has been a top of the line GM car, where it was priced to sell. The V16 Cadillac's were probably comparable to upper end cars in the '30's, but after WWII Cadillac's were all lower end (compared to the pre-war models) models. The Eldorado Brougham was a try at making something better, but it was more flash than substance.

The early Cadillac's were mid-priced cars (like Buick is now). When GM took over Cadillac, they made it the top of the GM line.
    Agreed. The Europeans and Japaneses are much higher in terms of standard luxury/performance/quality.

Regards,
    OW
  • I am very happy with my 06 Cadillac SRX and when it goes into service, I get a Cadillac loaner. I disagree with the quality statement being higher on European and Japanese cars. I have had both!
    I am glad you are happy your SRX. Just remember, it becomes history soon as it will be discontinued. That is another reason why I moved away from Cadillac. They do not support their model lineup, as in all GM except trucks and the 'Vette.

I would hardly call any Cadillac World Class at this point, let alone the Standard. Quality, Workmanship or Service. Just my opinion.

The desire to reverse this is always available. The culture needs to own that desire.

Regards,
    OW
    I think that any model lineup has to change as the market changes. The SRX is a new model for Cadillac and may move to a different platform. The STS is supposed to be merged with the DTS onto a new platform and become a single model. Cadillac has had a "de Ville" model with various series names since the beginning of the brand "Cadillac". The series name de Ville first appeared in the 50's, but was put on their popularly selling model, the series 62, which probably goes back to the model 30.

When you talk about "World Class", you have to define what you mean by that. I think in some sense the Rolls Royce is world class, but only in the sense that it is a very recognizable luxury car. The Rolls is not a sports sedan, which is another class entirely.

Cadillac does own the "Standard of the World" slogan because they did win the Dewar Trophy. That did not make them a World Class whatever though. I think that some Cadillac models (Car&Driver has rated the SRX best since it was introduced) are competitive with their competition, and this does make them world class, but not best in class.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    Just remember, it becomes history soon as it will be discontinued. That is another reason why I moved away from Cadillac. They do not support their model lineup, as in all GM except trucks and the 'Vette.

Huh??? :confuse: I was just at the dealer 2 months ago and inquired about the headlight assy. on my Aunt's 1988 Park Ave. (it was cracked when someone backed into it). They still had 3 in stock at the Boston warehouse. And this is for a 20 year old car!!!! As the SRX gets older, you will still be able to get parts and service for it. Contrary to popular opinion, GM is NOT going anywhere.
  • Hasn't Infinity had some problems with their Armada based QX 56?

Yes in 2004 Nissan/Infiniti had problems with the brakes on the QX and Armada. They have been remedied and no major problems have occured since. As a matter of fact JD power rates the 07 QX with above average reliability.
  • Cadillac is still much closer to the German makes in product panache than Infiniti, even with missteps.

Cadillac does not have an intelligent key in their Escalade, nor a folding flat 3rd row seat, not even a push button start. Nissan Maximas from 2004 and up have either a push button start or fob to turn to start, without ever using a key (intelligent key). Cadillac doesn't even offer that on their Escalade, matter of fact they still use solid rear axles, and OHC engines. GM will continue to fail unless they meet the build quality of standards of imports, not to mention import luxury manufacturers.
  • Agreed. The Europeans and Japaneses are much higher in terms of standard luxury/performance/quality

Truer words have never been spoken.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,593
    Cadillac and other GM vehicles still have a way to go in improving interior design and luxury as far as their materials are concerned.

The new CTS and revised STS interiors are but a step in the right direction. The ergonomics in Cadillacs have been improving as well.
    I know parts are available...that's not my point.

Regards,
    OW
    Perhaps Caddy should import a BMW or Merc-based platform to gain ground like they are doing for the G-8 out of Aussie Land.

That'll give 'em a jump start for sure!

Regards,
    OW
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    Perhaps Caddy should import a BMW or Merc-based platform to gain ground like they are doing for the G-8 out of Aussie Land.

First of all, GM OWNS Holden, and part of GM's restructuring has been to marry these foreign divisions w/ US divisions to streamline the design process, as well as share global platforms to cut costs.

What good would striking a deal w/ BMW or Mercedes do. Then people would say Caddy couldn't cut the mustard and had to buy from the Germans to compete w/ them.
    I believe the biggest gripe the car mags had w/ the CTS in comparison w/ the 3 series was that it was too big (heavy). But the CTS gives you a 5 series sized car for a 3 series price. Yet they don't think it would be fair to compare the 5 w/ the CTS because the 5 comes w/ equiptment not available on the CTS because of the price difference. So I think it would be fair to say that Caddy gives you the same quality car for the same price as BMW, only the BMW handles better because it's smaller, and the Caddy is more comfortable to ride in because it's bigger. And don't give me any bs about quality, because the Germans have had their fair share of quality bugs as of lately.
  • jkr2106jkr2106 Posts: 231
    Cadillac doesn't even offer that on their Escalade, matter of fact they still use solid rear axles, and OHC engines.

OHC...puhleeze. GM/Cadillac would never use such an inferior engine on its flagship SUV. They went with the more potent OHV design.
    Your assessment is fair. I just have a different opinion and until 2008, Caddy wasn't in the same league as the rest of the global luxury leaders let alone the standard. In all areas as previously noted, IMO of course.

Regards,
    OW
  • You are funny...tomato....tomatoe...Point is, the rest of the world uses DOHC ENGINES AND INDEPENDENT SUSPENSIONS AND GM DOESN'T. someone needs to let GM know that this is 2008 not 1978.
  • I agree with you, I am disapointed in GM putting the bare minimun in the Escalade ans selling it at the same prices as competitors. GM didn't even put a air filtration system in the new Escalade. Compared to the QX, GL, and Land Rover, people have a clear choice of which SUV not to choose. Hopefully GM will do more with the Escalade in the future.
    Wow! Your aunt also has a 1988 Buick Park Avenue? Great car, huh? Unlike today's vehicles, the headlight assembly on the 1988 Buick Park Avenue is actually GLASS and won't fog or yellow with age. I was able to buy a new grille this past December after some idiot backed into the car and cracked it.
    The only thing that will be jumping is me jumping the Cadillac ship for some other make if they start rebadging unreliable and atrociously expensive Bimmers and Mercs as Cadillacs. At least I can depend on my Cadillacs to get me to work and without a vicious financial wallet-raping.
    hold it right there:
    My SRX has a DOHC V8 and an independent rear suspension. It also does not have McPherson struts.

The Escalade is a rebadged Chevy anyhow and not a real Cadillac.
    The Escalade is a rebadged Chevy anyhow and not a real Cadillac.

How true it is. Nice for a truck but not the World Standard for SUV's in terms of overall performance, style and luxury.

Regards,
    OW
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    It also does not have McPherson struts.

Really? I thought the CTS platform was front struts and multilink rear?
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,530
    From cadillac.com:

"Suspension & Handling
    Suspension 4-wheel independent design that utilizes a short/long arm, coil-over strut with anti-sway bar in front, and a modified multi-link with anti-sway bar and automatic rear level control system in the rear; both benefit from monotube performance shock absorbers "
    Struts, but at least they're coilovers.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    What is Mcpherson?

It is a shock absorber that also contains the spring and is the action by which the wheel camber motion is controlled and is a structural component. A vehicle with an upper control arm and a lower control arm is not using a McPherson. Sure it is not the same as having the coil ride on the lower control arm but the camber action is driven by the control arms and therefore not a Mcpherson.
    I did find this:

Looks like some sort of Macpherson derivative with a pseudo-wishbone upper setup.
  • sensaisensai Posts: 129
    You are funny...tomato....tomatoe...Point is, the rest of the world uses DOHC ENGINES AND INDEPENDENT SUSPENSIONS AND GM DOESN'T. someone needs to let GM know that this is 2008 not 1978

Wow, you better stop using those DOHC engines right out of the 1920s then. At least the OHV engines are more modern :)
  • What GM uses is outdated, they still use pushrods in this day and age....push rods. It is not rocket science why Japanese cars last longer...less parts. Mean a less likely chance of break down. GM knows this, but it costs too much (they say) to meet the standards of the world. Nissan, Toyota, BMW, and Mercedes and every other manufacturer in the world are more than happy to accomodate us with world standards.