Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,707
    I stopped in and looked at a new CTS at the local dealer earlier this year - I think for the most part, it is competitive with the 3er and C interior, and light years ahead of the old CTS. This thing was loaded and stickered at 49K....that was the only tough part. Get it in a sweet lease deal and it could be doable...
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,162
    GM's idea of luxury in the 80's was overstuffed velour

Yeah, and the funny thing is, the people to whom I give rides love those overstuffed velour seats in my 1988 Park Avenue and wish automakers still put them in cars.
    Oh yeah, the same quality as my brother-in-law's Mercedes-Benz S430 that is PLAGUED with electrical, mechanical, and quality control gremlins.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,372
    Ask him if he wants to replace the Merc with a Denali with all new parts! Residual is quite low and he can get it for a steal. Just like all the Caddy's.

2006 CTS 36K miles, Retail Value = $15,740.

NICE!

Regards,
    OW
    Yeah, left out a few details like it's been in several major accidents, was a theft recovery, and used in few drug transactions. The previous owner also smoked cigars and took his St. Bernard dog everywhere with him in the CTS.

I doubt any two year-old CTS that met my used car standards would be sold so cheaply.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    Cars.com suggests the mid-range price for the 2006 CTS is about $22,000 retail. The C-class is about $25,000. I suspect that the C-class was higher to begin with.
    Hello! Those are the kind of people that buy Caddies now a days!

Regards,
    OW
    Probably all dealer sales with low mileage from people that don't drive much and trade in every few years. Private party sales will be way lower on 2006.

link title

Regards,
    OW
    I know in 06 you could still get lowline C230s for about 30K...these would easily be comparable with a base CTS.

I've seen many 05 CTS-V for around 25K-ish.

Maybe the old CTS wasn't the value it was touted to be...maybe the poorly chosen interior materials hurt something, too.
    He has an 8 year old car, a W220 from the first model year. MB fanatics even bash those things...it's like the 80s Caddy with the piece of crap 4100 or whatever engine was junk.
    Really? I buy Cadillacs and so do a lot of other respectable people in my line of business. None of us are involved in criminal activities and we are treated with the utmost respect.
    JK...teasing you...my dad bought 2 of them. He was upstanding like you.

Regards,
    OW
    Your link is for a 2003 CTS, not the 2006, and the price tag is $17000, not $15,000. So what exactly is your point? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Your link is for a 2003 CTS, not the 2006, and the price tag is $17000, not $15,000. So what exactly is your point?

Misinformation to make his point that he hates GM and to convinc all others of the same. You can say anything on the net. Remember he said that he lives in his own reality :sick:
    Well, I think his earlier posts suggested Cadillac's depreciate faster than Mercedes. I think that is probably true, but Mercedes does depreciate too. My premise is that one can look at all of the listed cars of interest on cars.com to see a range of prices for a particular model/year. One could look at the C-class listings for model year 2008 (about 160) and the CTS (over 500), then look at the median price tag (the cars in the middle of each list) and compare that with the 2005 models (about 1500 each).
    Why guess by looking at a random collection of vehicles when you can get data from the source that does it scientifically?

https://www.alg.com/deprratings.aspx?sid=43

CTS has same rating as most Mercedes.
    How about over different periods? I think most people keep their car for more than 2 years...I see stars, no numbers.
    OOPS! My mistake.

Regards,
    OW
    Yes, I made a mistake. I do not need to convince anyone regarding GM. I don't hate anyone or thing. Just think way better choices out there. ;)

Regards,
    OW
    Here is another link but I was aware this time and checked. 65 2006 CTS are listed for $16K.

This one has 38,564 miles and looks in great shape.

link title

Regards,
    OW
    Proves nothing. However here is a C-class priced at $11,000 :surprise:
    Proves there are many CTS valued exactly as they are offered for sale.

If the owners paid even $30K when new, how's that for a value proposition?

Let's check back in about a month. A line in the sand, if you will.

Regards,
    OW
    Why don't you use the data that ALG provides instead of picking specific single data points?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,625
    But does anyone really want to buy a used first gen CTS??? I mean, look at it! Look at the interior!!! Really, the first time I saw the 1G CTS at the New England Auto Show years ago I was truly shocked at how (yes, IMO) ugly the car was inside (especially inside!) and out. And the sticker was $40k+!!! Seriously???!!!

Now, Gen 2, I think we have an ugly duckling to almost swan transformation here. Clean up the front end, and we'll talk. The interior? Just a huge improvement...

YMMV

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

Exactly my point. Ergo the depreciation is high.

Regards,
    OW
    I'll check ALG out. Until 2008, the CTS will not perform well regarding depreciation, IMO.

Regards,
    OW
    https://www.alg.com/depratings

My link I listed earlier did not seem to work. anyway, all the below 2006 vehicles are 3 stars:

Cadillac CTS Escalade
    Mercedes Benz C Class Clk Class Cls Class M Class R Class SL Class
    Acura RDX RL
    Audi A3 A6 Q7
    BMW X3 Series X5 Series
    Lexus ES350 GS350/430 LS460 LX470

Looks to me like the data shows that the 2006 CTS is right in there with everyone of its competitors except the BMW 3 series and Acura TL which are 5 star and the 4 star BMW 5 series. So I guess we could say the 2006 CTS did not perform well in your reality but hangs out with some good company in the actual US everyone else lives in. :P

ALG is pleased to announce the release of the ALG™ Depreciation Ratings. Based on 2006 model year vehicles, the 1 through 5 star ALG ratings provide consumers with an accurate and convenient method to determine the amount of depreciation a vehicle will experience over the lifetime of ownership. ALG Depreciation Ratings will be featured on Edmunds.com.
    I drove a 2005 CTS and it wasn't a bad car. Really, the materials used in the car are nicer than they appear and it was a fun little ride and economical too. However, the new CTS is so awesome, the old one comes on like a plate spinner who appears on the Ed Sullivan Show after the Beatles.
    I assume that the 1G is supposed to be the trim level :confuse:
    The STS has a 1SG trim level (top performance package)
    The CTS has been available as the 1SA and 1SB only in the past I think. Certainly never went past a 1SC. However, the plastic interior was not ugly in my opinion, only rather plain looking, and while the plastic finish may have be expensive, the look was cheap. The door panels were perhaps too simple and an expanse of mostly hard plastic. The new interior is probably much better, but I have not seen one.
    The actual rate of depreciation is not given. But there are 5 different levels of ratings, so the CTS is in the middle.