Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• plektoplekto Posts: 3,707
    Oh dear lord I wish GM made a LaCrosse with a manual...
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,477
    “Who would want to drive at 1200-1600 rpm?”

Me, for 1.

My Corvette, in sixth gear shows 1600 RPM at approx. 73 MPH. A cruising speed I often find comfortable. Returning 30+ MPG. 80 MPH is approx. 1750 RPM.

But who’s counting . . .

- Ray
    Happy at low RPM, cruising & happy at high RPM accelerating ( um ) briskly . . .
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    Oh, a pushrod sure. They should have a little graphic of Mister Scott pop up on the HUD saying "She'll fly apart, cap'n!" every time the tach goes above 3500 rpm.

But who would want to run a DOHC V6 that slowly? That's like asking a thoroughbred to do a mule's job.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    That might be true of most pushrod engines but the new vette motors are not one of them.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    My SRX V8 with six speed slush box cruises 70 MPH with the engine running at about 1800 RPMs. It does kick down on up hills to 5th with the engine bumping up to 2200 or so. I averaged about 21 MPG on a long trip (it is still new though).
    Consider the following: take a pushrod engine - lets say this one:
    http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2008/HPT%20Library/HVV6/20- - - 08_39L_LZG_Impala.pdf
    Would re-engineering the valve train to have a DOHC instead of the single cam in block change anything? What I mean is to keep the two valve per cylinder design, with the same intake manifold and the same valve timing. I think below 6000 RPM's there would be no change in performance, torque or horsepower. Above 6000 RPM's the DOHC might possibly have bit more power, but with the peak horsepower at 5600 RPMs, it is more a question of falling off more slowly, not resulting in more horsepower.

The point of course is that with a DOHC design, one would have 4 valve per cylinder and separate VVT on the intake and exhaust valves. Then one gets something like this:
    http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2008/HPT%20Library/HFV6/20- - 08_36L_LY7_CTS.pdf

The big difference between these two engines is the extra valves with the intake and exhaust timing variation independant of each other. The pushrods are irrelavant, except that they probably make putting more than two valves per cylinder difficult or of little real value.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,075
    I just noticed one of the license plate lamps was out on my 2002 Seville STS last night as I was putting it away. To replace this tiny 194 bulb one has to remove the fabric lining from the decklid, unfasten at least eight wing nuts and remove the entire taillamp cluster spanning the width of the decklid. Whatever happened to the days of simply removing a lens with a phillips screwdriver to access the bulbs? An unexperienced person would've given up and taken the car to the dealer at unnecessary expense to replace a bulb or ended up breaking the cluster which must be very expensive to replace.
    Cadillac owners aren't supposed to change their own bulbs. They're supposed to drive to the dealer, walk up to the service desk, pull out their money clip and throw a handful of Benjamins on the counter, and declare, "That should cover it, and Armor All the tires."
    My experience is that light bulbs don't burn out that often. The cost for a half hours work at my dealership is about $35, which may seem a bit much, but for a bulb that lasted 5 years...

Of course if all the bulbs are starting to go one by one...

I doubt that Chevy light bulbs are easily changed either...
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    exposed screw heads on the outside of the car pretty much have been gone longer than exposed screws on the inside of the car. Kinda poor to have exposed screws today. Be glad they were large wingnuts and did not require deepwell sockets.
  • OK, so I've never driven a Mercedes or a BMW. Other than a 1970 Datsun 510 and a 1990 Mitsubishi Galant, I've always owned "American" cars. I put "American" in quotes because some of my Chrysler products were produced in Canada and Mexico. I've averaged a new car every 3 to 4 years since 1970, so I've owned a number of automobiles in my life. My most recent purchase is a 2006 Cadillac STS V6 with nav, BOSE sound system and all the other bells and whistles, list price just over $48K that I picked up in June, '07 for around $36K plus tax and tags.
    With 2 months and around 3K miles, I am nothing but impressed with the car and the dealer. The car runs perfectly. The ride is smooth, the cabin is quiet and the nav system is a dream. My trip from upstate NY to Brooklyn and back ran without a hitch. My mileage on this still new engine and transmission averages around 24 MPG mixed local and highway driving.
    Is Cadillac setting the standard for American cars? My experience is that they are, and from reading about the new CTS and STS for '08, they are again raising the bar.
    Personally, I will always drive a GM car - I refuse to be on the road without OnStar. My wife has severe medical issues, and having OnStar available has assisted us on several occasions. Enjoying the experience of driving a Cadillac just makes that even sweeter!
  • dvpriemdvpriem Posts: 11
    I have a 2004 SRX and the silver paint on the sides of the car has vertical stripes in it from the bad paint job. I think the robot arms were not adjusted property when it got sprayed.

Anyone else with this problem.

Oh, and also the rear end was replaced at 20k miles, you can't replace front exterior light bulbs without dismantling the bumper, and the car will not start at all at times.

But mostly, I am interested in why a honda accord has a beter paint job than my Cadillac SRX
    The vinyl was pasted onto a metal roof, so you were lucky.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    It was red and she was very sexy. :shades:

-Rocky
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    silver paint on the sides of the car has vertical stripes in it from the bad paint job.

That does sound poor. Anybody know how a vehicle can have vertical stripes? If there is a problem it is horizontal stripes due to the fact that the paint gun runs along the car horizontally, not vertically. I guess if the paint is put on too heavily it could run.
    Perhaps it has been run through an automatic car wash with brushes that run vertically and have not been maintained?
    they could start by writing truthful ad copy. The CTS banner ad on the main Edmunds page claims the direct injection V6 is "the most powerful engine ever to bear the Cadillac wreath and crest," which overlooks the entire V-series, the regular V8 STS and XLR, the Escalade, and more than a few luxobarges from the late '60s and early '70s.
    The most powerful "V6".
    I noticed last night that Burn Notice on the USA channel is using a 2008 CTS as one of the cars on the set. Has been on for the last few episodes but I had thought it was an STS.
  • Thats not what it says though and I quote, " Now available with a 304 hp Direct Injection V6, The most powerful engine ever to bear the Cadillac Wreath and Crest."

Doesn't say most powerful V6 it says most powerful engine.