Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    This has the sound of self serving GM/Cadillac propaganda. Automobile's comparison does agree that the CTS's new interior is much better than the first generation interior, which they felt was below the standard for the class (which is the 3-series). The new interior is now on a par with the class, but they feel that the SRX's interior is better.
  • And they are building these models in the US using union labor?

Be interesting to see the procedure they are using to keep costs down. That kind of work is very expensive.
    The picture that Cadillac wants one to have in mind is that of a room full of grandmothers sewing with a needle and thread.

It is far more likely that machines are used, but someone make be guiding them. My SRX has leather covered seats. I am not sure that there is leather anywhere else though. The dash is covered with a softish material, with a finish that does not look leatherish. The armrests could be covered with leather - not sure. However, there are stiches visible even on hard plasic parts...
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/MediaNav/articleId=117281/firstNav=Gallery/- photoId=32522

In the above picture, the light colored stuff on the console is hard plastic, which has stiching...

I will comment on my SRX door panels. The material used under the windows is the same stuff on the dash, and has a softish feel to it. Under this is a piece of wood trim (real I think), and then there is a soft trim material which could be vinyl or leather, with stiches in it. Then there is the armrest. Below the armrest on the front doors is a storage bin (a nice touch), but this is hard plasic. With the doors closed, the lower part of the door is not all that visible, so the hard plastic is not a big deal.

In the good old days, eBay Motors has a lot of good picture, GM luxury door panels were covered with soft vinyl from the armrest down, with the lowest part covered with carpet. I think the addition of storage bins in todays cars is better than a soft vinyl armrest to extended downward, but the hard plastic could have a bit of carpet covering it.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,505
    What is the source of this 'review'?

Reminds me of one of those advertising 'stories' in recent mags, or a Sunday paper 'review'.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    This has the sound of self serving GM/Cadillac propaganda

Every article from the media I read says the CTS interior is top notch. So it must be that they are all reading the same GM pitch and writing down what they are told to write. Darn that C&D and the rest of them, bought out by GM.

The only one I heard of that says anything somewhat bad (except for a poorly located cupholder) is the Automobile mag which I have not read.

The car has been out for awhile and there are all kinds of media stories out there. Can anybody find a link that supports a deficient interior in the CTS?
    And they are building these models in the US using union labor?

Do you have any info on this? I really doubt it and cannot find where they are doing it.
    The picture that Cadillac wants one to have in mind is that of a room full of grandmothers sewing with a needle and thread.

:D

They are probably made just like the seats. Most of the seat sources (Lear, JCI, etc.) have a plant in Mexico or some other low paid nation with a bunch of people using sewing machines to stich the seats together. In there own right they are craftsman. The same sources make the interior IP and doors so they are probably also sewing the parts.

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/model/gallery.jsp?model=cts&year=2008&id=3&p- rimary=4

Per the website they call it stiched accents so probably some of the interior is vinyl. And today the vinyls used are hard to tell from leather and in some cases even have a better hand. i.e. silk infused leather
  • I was asking if the interior bits were made in the US with union labor or if it was being outsuorced. I have no idea where they are making them I just doubt they could afford to do that at US Labor rates.
    For almost sure they are not union made or in the states. Most likely Mexico. Lear alone has 11 plants in Mexico. Could also be JCI or others.
    Car & Drive did not do a comparison test, Automobile did. Motor Trend's test was not a comparison either.

Automobile did not say the interior was bad, only a bit overdone, but still much better than the old. Motor Trend indicates that the DI engine has a noise, vibration, hashness problem, that GM has indicated there is no solution for, short of an entirely new engine design.

You are the one who thought that the CTS was now ready to take over the BMW 5-series, Mercedes E-class market.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    LOL.....MT is a joke !!!!!

Motor Trend->Japanese=Good

Motor Trend->GM=Bad

:sick:

-Rocky
    You are the one who thought that the CTS was now ready to take over the BMW 5-series, Mercedes E-class market.

I never said that. :confuse: I have never been in the new CTS much less drive one so I cannot make that kind of determination. I asked that since the CTS is about 5 size could it stand in the same league as the 5 at a much lower price and would the media do comparisons that way. It looks like it may have a couple issues that make it perfect in that range, but then again it is $20k cheaper or so.
    My bad, I guess louiswei is the one who made that claim. However, when I said the interior would need an upgrade, you came back in post 3524 agreeing with louiswei that it was all done.
    Cadillac has positioned the CTS as an entry level sports sedan. I do not think that they can turn around in a year or two, and make it a luxury sports sedan. In the event that they dump the STS, then an upgraded CTS might move somewhat up market. To do that I think the interior would need some improvement, a bit more wood trim, less bright metal. However, more of the STS's equipment would need to be available, like the adaptive cruise control and a V8 engine.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    “However, more of the STS's equipment would need to be available, like the adaptive cruise control and a V8 engine.”

You raise a question that I have been meaning to ask here:

Has anyone heard if the CTS’s “platform” was engineered to accept a V8?
    Edit:
    A ‘regular’ CTS – it appears a given that there will be a CTS-v – with a V8.

I happened to drive a BMW 335 sedan a few weeks ago – and had planned to drive a 2008 CTS immediately after. The acceleration ( TQ ) of the 335 convinced me that driving a CTS right then would be ( um ) unfair to the CTS.

But a V8 with 350 \ 350 ( HP \ TQ ) or more would put the CTS in a different ( acceleration ) class – and might allow legitimate acceleration comparison with a 335 or 535. . .

Anyone heard?
    Speculation?

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Finding no answer with a couple of Google searches . . .
  • link title

What was this sucker, like 50 grand new?

And for the collectors (No pics)

link title
  • "But a V8 with 350 \ 350 ( HP \ TQ ) or more would put the CTS in a different ( acceleration ) class – and might allow legitimate acceleration comparison with a 335 or 535. . ."

Without a stickshift available for this model, they might as well tack on a Landau roof and curb feelers.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    "Without a stickshift available for this model, they might as well tack on a Landau roof and curb feelers. "

The current CTS-v iteration ( only ) comes with a manual trans.
    So – there certainly seems to be a possibility that we will see another. . .
    - Ray
    Happy for those who prefer a manual to have that choice . . .
    The body is now as wide as the S series (STS, SRX) which do have the V8. The direct injection 3.6 performance is comparable to the 335. Automobile's comparison test shows the 335 quicker to 60 and through the 1/4 mile. I think that a V8 will not become available in the basic CTS while the STS is still in production. The CTS_V will get a V8, but what V8 is not clear. I would think the supercharged northstar would fit.
  • Can't access it since I'm not a member but there is a locked thread on C&G on this. I stumbled on that this morning.

2009 CTS-V slated for late Sept '08 arrival; no Tremac trans