Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    The highest compliment I can pay the 2008 Cadillac CTS is that five minutes behind the wheel turned me into as big a jerk as when I test a new BMW.

The drivers of really good sport sedans aren't really rude, callous oafs. They just seem that way because their cars are so much quicker and more responsive than most of what's on the road.

They accelerate faster, brake later and turn more sharply than lesser vehicles.

It's like walking alongside a much taller person. They don't mean to leave you gasping for breath; they just cover more ground faster than you do.

That's not to say some BMW drivers aren't arrogant twits, but so are some of the people who drive vastly inferior brands, like ... No, I've made enough enemies for one morning.

The virtually all-new 2008 CTS is a terrific car, an excellent successor to the very good first-generation CTS that re-established Cadillac as a luxury brand to be reckoned with.

The 2008 CTS is better looking and much more luxurious and technically sophisticated than the car it replaces, able to stand alongside the BMW 3-series as the world's best sports sedan. In addition to the 3-series, the CTS's prime competition includes the Audi A4, Infiniti G35, Lexus GS 300 and Mercedes-Benz C-class.
    We're talking real money here, but the CTS is a bargain in its class. According to Edmunds.com, comparable all-wheel drive models – the BMW 335xi, Infiniti M35X and Lexus GS350 AWD – run from $4,100 to $9,800 more than the CTS.

Only the Audi A4 Quattro, which will be replaced by a new model next year, came in with a lower sticker price, checking in at $450 less than a comparably equipped CTS.
    Add advanced features like a hard drive to store music and navigation information and the best real-time traffic information system of any car I've tested, and the CTS is second to none in the speedy world of sports sedans.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    Is this your opinion, or did you copy it from somewhere? And if it is someone else's ideas, should you not credit them with either a link or at least the source?
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    62' can't link up to his articles. He's always done this.

He's actually Bob Lutz, but don't say anything. :P

-Rocky
    What the article is saying:

Bottom Line is the 2008 Cadillac CTS is the best ELLPS ever made to date. I'd prefer the stick version though. :shades:

Lemko, are you going to give one a test pal ? :)

-Rocky
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,705
    I stopped at the local dealer west and they were lusting after theirs. It was on the truck, they think, but the strike had begun and they didn't know if it was coming or not.

I drove across the road through the Toyo lot. They had lots of tundras. The one of several salesman waved at me as I drove by the front of the building like a near downtown Dayton street lady trying to lure me in, but I resisted. He probably hoped for a laydown deal so he could retail my beautiful crimson LeSabre and make a double profit. :blush:

The Tundras did NOT have contractor boxes on them. Most of the Tundras I've seen on the road are driven by women or men who look like insurance salesmen or office workers.

This message has been approved.

Well if you get a chance to drive a 08' CTS, you need to give me the details ASAP. :)

As far as those Tundra's go I still haven't warmed up to their styling. I saw on the news last night Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, Infiniti, each had recalls. :D

-Rocky
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Sorry, I get media articles emailed to me w/o links. I put them in italics so you know it is not my thoughts. Forget who wrote the one above.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    Shoot, I'm afraid if I do I'll come home with one.
    ROTFLMAO.....Trust me if I was in your shoes and didn't want a car payment I'd stay far away from your local Caddy Dealer...... ;)

-Rocky

P.S. I asked you a question a couple days ago in the Report your local gas prices forum. ;)
    I don't go in the "Report Your Local Gas Prices" forum much these days. I'm afraid I'll jinx the fuel prices.
    ...not having a car payment. I just can't let the Cadillac's siren song lead me back that way. Hopefully, I can save up enough money just to buy my next car outright. Of course I don't yet NEED a car. My Seville STS is still very healthy.
    Oh well maybe you can just wait for that
    600 hp. CTS-V ???? :shades:

-Rocky
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    "Sorry, I get media articles emailed to me w/o links. I put them in italics so you know it is not my thoughts. Forget who wrote the one above. "

Source appears to be:

TOWERING SUCCESS: Cadillac CTS rises above other sports sedans with its luxury and technical sophistication
    September 27, 2007

BY MARK PHELAN

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

The highest compliment I can pay the 2008 Cadillac CTS is that five minutes behind the wheel turned me into as big a jerk as when I test a new BMW.......
    I'd probably end up killing myself in that machine, but I'll die with a big smile on my face.
    That would probably make two of us. ;)

-Rocky
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    Cars like a CTS-V have so many nannies on them that as soon as you do something slightly dumb the computers apply the brakes and cut the power down to 50 hp, so the kid in the primer-coated B16 CRX can fly past you. :surprise: :cry:
    They do have a "OFF" button for all those nannies. :blush:

-rockylee
  • The off button doesn't really shut everything off in most of those vehicles but just changes the limits.

Sometimes a certain sequence of presses to the button will shut of the stability and traction control sometimes now. Volvo did that on their "R" models. If you pressed the DTSC button a certain number of times in so many seconds it would completely shut off the system.
    Without knowing the original source, the information is not worth much, and a lot of your quotes are very long. I consider the car magazines like Automobile, Road & Track and Car & Driver to be good sources. Newspaper reporters/critics/whatever are not as good, but some of them have been doing it for a while, and do have some experience.
    My SRX has an on/off button for the traction control. The owners manual says that if I hold that button down for more than 5 seconds, the stability control will shut down too. I have yet to activate either the traction system or stability control.