Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• slimtireslimtire Posts: 15
    I must say that I'm really surprised that you think the STS is too small. I'm 6'1" 185 lbs. There is nothing small about the Cadillac STS to me at all.
  • slimtireslimtire Posts: 15
    "But if Cadillac expects to have any credibility as a luxury brand, it simply has to win the hearts & minds of the buyers who have been voting German with their wallets since the 1980s. When these people see a Caddy with tacky dealer add-ons, it kills their interest in the car.

Let's be blunt. The sorts of people who find carriage tops & wide whitewalls attractive are too old, too poor & too badly educated to sustain a luxury brand. Cadillac has no future with these customers & it shouldn't hesitate to cut them loose. Let 'em drive Town Cars."

Yes, and a brand that proudly builds tacky, impractical, GAUCHE, bling bling Cadillac Escalade trucks will never be seen as standard of the world. It makes most people that would gladly part with so much of their green for Lexus LS400 series and BMWs cringe with embarrassment.. These people would buy a Toyota Camry which is much less expensive before they spend their money on a Cadillac with these types of add-ons. But is GM paying attention? NO.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,522
    "I understand the complexity of designing and building a "perfect sedan". (The 3-series is real close, imho.)"

I have great respect for the BMW 3.
    I drove a 335i the day before I bought the G8 GT.
    But even the 328i EPA combined # is 22 - quite a ways from 30.
    [ 18 city \ 28 highway ]
    And the 335d is not quite there, either @ 27 combined.
    [ 23 city \ 36 highway ]
    - Ray
    [ edit: I do wonder exactly what that future Caddy 3-fighter will
    look like
    handle like
    accelerate like &
    achieve for EPA #s ]
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,162
    I never ordered or drove a Cadillac with any of that tacky add-on junk. My Cadillac is free of any of that stuff and looks as respectable as any of those heralded European marques:

• marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673
    Slim: I believe the "problem" is that the rear seat is not very roomy, esp if the driver seat is set way back...

At the Auto Show, I sat in an STS...at 5'3", when I set the drivers seat, you could play professional soccer in the rear seat and I won't know it, with that much room...but if I extend the seat back for a tall person, rear seat room did seem to diminish...
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Its called the Cobalt SS with 260 direct injected turbo horsepower.

It blows away cars that are more then twice its price.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175
    Very clean! Especially for Black, wow!

Sadly, this clean one went to CFC, what a shame :(

Shoot, I'd have rescued that one and used it as my beater car. That truck behind it doesn't look bad either. C4C seems to becoming a tragic waste. If I were to C4C a car, it would have to be a smashed-up rusted-out hulk with an interior that looked like it was ravaged by a wildcat and belching blue and white smoke.
    I agree and I am totally against the wastefullness of this program. :sick: There are some perfectly good vehicles that are being scrapped. :mad:
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,687
    That's like a 2000+ model too, isn't it? I hope it was a miled up livery-abused example.

Exploder in front of it looks like a 2002 or so model too.

I see a couple of S10 Blazers in the shot...I have no problem being rid of those. Those extended cab Ford trucks that collapse like pop cans in hard crashes don't warm my heart either.

I have to wonder about the defects or wear on these vehicles that makes them worth so little. If anything, it is a testamant to how well some vehicles age, at least on the outside.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,372
    When you drive the 3-series for the fist few thousand miles, the respect turns into exhilaration as the car becomes an extension of your every anticipation. Never, Never, NEVER did that happen with a U.S. built vehicle in my experience. :cry:

Regards,
    OW
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    Well, you might hang around a larger dealership and offer the person $5000 or something for a vehicle like that. A lot of it is that people will trade cars that wholesale at $3-6K trade-in but retail in the 5-8K range just to get their payments down and get it done quickly.

Shame with that DTS - I'd buy it for $4500 in a heartbeat.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,586
    Shame with that DTS - I'd buy it for $4500 in a heartbeat.

If it's anything like the DTS I had, it's in the right place.
    Provided there was nothing seriously wrong with it, I'd have give them $4,500 in cash and be done with it. I wonder if it's possible for one to buy a car that has been traded in a C4C deal or is that car doomed by law?
    Found out in the C4C topic that if a vehicle has CARS on the title, it is done for by law. You can't buy it.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673
    have to pour "sodium silicate" into the engine to ruin it intentionally...does anyone know if that "silicate" has a more generic name, and how does it ruin the engine???
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,441
    The other name for it is "liquid glass."

I guess the stuff poured in a running engine ruins the bearings and pistons. Seizes the engine.

Ironically, some people have used the stuff as a block sealer to fix head gasket problems and cracked engine blocks, at least for a few months.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Silica is a form of glass and very abrasive. Think of it as smashing a bottle into bits and stuffing it in the engine... while running. :sick:
  • bigo08bigo08 Posts: 102
    When I made this thread.. I truly believed GM could make Cadillac the standard of the world once again... but now with the CTS beign the brands only completive vehicle... I don't see it happening anytime soon.. :confuse:
    Nice dream....

Regards,
    OW
  • ingvaringvar Posts: 205
    I'm 6'3" 250lbs and perfectly fit in 135i, yes, I'm and my bag don't care about rear seats.. Size doesn't matter, some cars designed for Japanese bodies, other for European bodies. CTS is a good car, but too expensive and loose value too fast.
    CTS is a good car, but too expensive and loose value too fast.

Exactly! Not even close to world standard. It's the reputation and the legacy business model that continues to drag Cadillac through the mud. Most aspects of the pricing model continue unchecked which will definitely keep it down.

Since the latest generation CTS went on sale in model year 2008, pricing has risen about $7000, Caldwell said. Higher average transaction and base prices means the CTS is moving into a clearer pricing position as a BMW 5 Series and Audi A6 fighter, making room for the smaller rear-wheel drive entry-level sedan on the way.

The SRX crossover needs no price cut to move off dealer lots but earlier this month we reported that Cadillac had a too-long five-month supply of the CTS. A price reduction like this should help maintain the brand's momentum, as should the $1000 incentives on the CTS sedan and wagon currently being offered.

CTS Wagon - Price Reduction

When you need to lower your price on a brand new variant, something is wrong with the decisions in GM to this day. :lemon:

Regards,
    OW
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,441
    edited May 2011
    Buy a CPO with a 6-year/100,000-mile limited warranty.

"Cadillac is relaunching its certified pre-owned program to provide added confidence to customers seeking a used luxury automobile and help boost the resale value of Cadillacs.

"In the luxury market, pre-owned automobiles are often an entry point for new customers to the brand," said Kurt McNeil, vice president of Cadillac Sales and Service. "We want these customers to know that we stand behind the quality of our pre-owned Cadillacs."

Cadillac Relaunches Certified Pre-owned Program (PRNewswire)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Gee, you think we should actually support our cars now that we are preaching "Standard of the World"?

Wow! What a unique concept, GM. Keep 'em coming!

Regards,
    OW
    lol "Standard of the World"

Ya, because Bentley, Rolls Royce, Bugatti, Pagani, etc, look to imitate a bunch of blinged out gangsta schoolbuses and fwd couches with cloth roofs and wire hubcaps.

But, the arrogance at Government Motors never disappoints... :shades:
    Tell Mr. Peabody and Sherman to bring you back to 2011. The WABAC machine has left you somewhere in the mid 1980s.

Besides, the Rolls-Royce seems to imitate a Kenworth truck nowadays. All the Phantom now needs is some chrome exhaust stacks.
    LOL! Ya, they should have told "Slick Rick" the car salesman who tried to sell me a CTS back in 2004. I told him I'd buy it if they could get the stench of his cheap cologne and stale cigar smell out of the interior after we were done with the test drive...

I also needed to remind him I wasn't "part of the family" either. Seriously.
    I would've never bought any car from a salesman like that. I bought my last two Cadillacs from the same salesman - a middle-aged, conservative, courteous, professional man.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Besides, the Rolls-Royce seems to imitate a Kenworth truck nowadays.

Well, clips from the wedding 2 weeks ago showed the RR in all its glory. As well as the jag-u-r. RR has class that Caddy never will.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,803
    edited June 2011
    For the first time in it's history, a Cadillac will no longer be powered by its own engines. As the article below suggests (see next post)....what would Mercedes be without a Mercedes engine, or a BMW without its signature, world-renowed powerplants? A Toyota-engined Lexus? A Fiat-powered Ferrari?

Can a prestige brand even continue to exist when watered down to "off the shelf" parts?

Or can Cadillac pull off a hat-trick like Corvette does with its LS engine line?

And, most importantly, will the public even notice this landmark change?