Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    I don't think GM has a Board of Directors. What it does have is a rubber-stamp assembly that is paid well to sit quietly and watch as GM's North American operations are slowly ground into dust, whil Lutz trots out with a great show of green smoke and fiery eruptions to distract the easily swayed.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    dear me

I do see an XLR from time to time (perhaps the same one). I have not seen an SL (not even an old one) for some time. The Mercedes dealer is over 300 miles away though....

Motor Trend (if I recall correctly) had an interesting XLR_V article where they drove one around the European autobahns at speeds up to 170 MPH ( the speed limiting device was disabled).
    when it comes to "luxury cars" I think Mercedes is on top. The one exception in the Rolls Royce class, where I think Rolls is still "the" car. The Rolls is too easy to identify, and for people who want something "showy", a Rolls is probably the thing.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    when it comes to "luxury cars" I think Mercedes is on top. The one exception in the Rolls Royce class, where I think Rolls is still "the" car. The Rolls is too easy to identify, and for people who want something "showy", a Rolls is probably the thing.

However most of the very wealthy people I know still drive Cadillac's.

-Rocky
    truly rich people who do not want to show off may drive Buicks or perhaps a Camry. Cadillac's were (in the 50's) popular with show biz people or others who wanted to show off wealth. A Hungarian actress is well known for driving a Rolls.

The sigma platform Cadillacs are decent handling cars that (if the nearest BMW dealer is 300 miles away) are worth buying if you want a sports sedan. A Cadillac is not as showy as a BMW or Mercedes. Lincoln has dropped the LS, so the low end sports sedan is probably at Cadillac.
    Well I guess it varies greatly depending on where you live. I do not see nearly as many Mercedes, BMW's and Lexuses I once saw but I am seeing a great increase in Cadillac's. The same demographic was true in Texas, where I lived for 5+ years.

-Rocky
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    To be unkind about it, perhaps the dumpy state of the Michigan economy means that the people who formerly bought Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus can only afford to buy Cadillac now. :cry:
    here there are lots of Suburbans (including the Escalade). there are a fair number of Cadillacs, and some Lexus (mostly the Camry Lexus). It has been a very long time since I saw a Rolls. There used to be an old one that would appear now and then.
    To be unkind about it, perhaps the dumpy state of the Michigan economy means that the people who formerly bought Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus can only afford to buy Cadillac now. :cry:

No, I think some of the people in Michigan, are finely getting wise and understand global economics and know if they don't buy at least some american made stuff they themselves will be out of a job because their will be no one left that will be able to afford to do business with them. ;)

-Rocky
  • or it could just be that Michiganers don't want unreliable piece of crap cars? If you want a reliable, quality automobile, really the only choice you have is GM. Maybe someday we can say the same about Ford or Chrysler?
  • jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    You'll find the heaviest concentration of high-priced imports on the coasts. I live in a fairly affluent NYC suburb, & I probably see 10 expensive German cars for every Cadillac. Back in the 60s, country club parking lots were filled with Caddies & Lincolns. Not today. Apart from the occasional Escalade, you'll see precious little American iron in the exclusive clubs. Among the elite buyers in the NY metro area, Cadillacs are viewed as down-market transportation for older, poorer drivers.

It's too bad because the CTS is a terrific car that deserves better. Unfortunately, GM squandered a legendary franchise & must work to regain it. It'll take the better part of a generation before Cadillac gets back a significant chunk of the market that it lost to the Germans.
  • bristol2bristol2 Posts: 736
    or it could just be that Michiganers don't want unreliable piece of crap cars?
    Or could it be that Michiganers live where GM is headquartered?....

Your whole thing where GM is the most reliable manufacturer in the world does not seem to be backed up by anything other you saying it's so.

I don't believe you- will you prove that GM is the most reliable brand in the world? :)
  • visoviso Posts: 14
    Dude! Wake up! Why would Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz WANT to make a competitor to the over-bloated Escalade? Their SUV offerings are significantly better at delivering perfomance,design, and drivability than some rebadged Freightliner truck. And honestly, the CTS isn't going to challenge the A4, 3-Series, or even the C-Class anytime soon for global dominance of any kind! Cadillac cannot sell a car outside of the US! Its European sales are a joke and it is Buick that is popular in China not Cadillac. And I wouldn't exactly say Cadillac is more reliable than any of the German premium trivecta. Also, Cadillac needs to seriously challenge the German premium trio on the world's racetracks if it is to get any attention, especially from European buyers who consider motor racing (and not hicksville NASCAR style crap, but real motor sports) as a national past-time the way Americans love their baseball. Here Cadillac has made some strides, but fails to provide consistency with its motor sport program. For example, you have Audi dominating one of the world's most important and prestigious race events (whatever Americans may think overwise, the rest of the world does though) the 24 Heurs of Le Mans for the past decade, not to mention the American Le Mans series, and multiple other race series while bringing new and innovative technology to racing. Where is Cadillac? They go in for one year and then disappear!

Cadillac lacks design excellence as it cars appeal only to midwestern Americans rather than the global affluent. Cadillac needs to develop vehicles that appeal to a global market that still maintain a Cadillac personality. Don't try to make an A4 or 3-Series because it won't work. These are icons around the globe. No one will take it seriously. And drop the bling image that Cadillac has right now. It doesn't appeal to the majority of buyers in this segment. It makes Cadillac look low-class.

A 16-cylinder car in today's ecomonic and social climate is unnecessary. Cadillac needs to build a real flagship to challenge the A8L, 7-Series, S-Class, and even the LS. Cadillac does not have an answer to these uber luxury barges which stink of affluence and prestige. A solid V8 (which Cadillac has) and a new V12 should be sufficent for this.

Contrary to what the above may sound like, I do like the direction of Cadillac and feel it is the only American car company (division of GM) to actually have some passion and vision. But it will take Cadillac to think "out of the box", more globally, and less isolationist to achieve this. And all these car companies need to stop trying to be German. It only works for the Germans. Everyone else looks like they don't have a genuine bone in their company's body.
    Fantasy Island was cancelled a couple decades ago. About the same time when anything Cadillac lost its relevancy to premium status.

I almost fell of my chair laughing with the statement that Buick is on the same level as "lowly" BMW and Audi. That was a joke...right? Next time a $150,000 Audi A8L W12 parks to any Buick, I'll try to remember that.
    Audi's recent quality issues are enough reason to be skeptical about those brands

Honestly, where did you come out of left field with that one? Audi has been receiving very strong marks in reliability, and its build quality is bar none. The A8L was recently named by J.D Powers as the best in class for initial reliability and one the highest scoring ever in its surveys. Consumer Reports has named almost the entire Audi line-up as "Highly Recommended" and Audi generally outscores BMW and MB in reliability surveys. The change has been dramatic over the last decade. Your comment is an old misconception that holds no basis. On the other hand, I give you that MB has been having it share of "issues". Although, the S-Class has gotten strong reliability marks, the concensus is still out on MB.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    However most of the very wealthy people I know still drive Cadillac's.

I think you need to upgrade your social circles. :sick:
  • "However most of the very wealthy people I know still drive Cadillac's."

Around here if your driving a BlingBling-mobile like an Escalade you're either living in a triple decker with 16 of your best homies or your half the Boston RedSox team.

The rest of them are just kids working at McDonalds trying to pay for the gas because their mommy daddy already bought them the 'Slade as their first car. They also get loaded up with an entire BestBuy counters worth of soundsystems, the crap that will rattle and shake the thing apart 5 thousand miles later... Wouldn't want that as a used car :sick: . Gaurantee half of them couldn't tell you engine was under the hood but they could recite every Jay-Z or Snoop Dogg lyric in their sleep. They aren't rich, their parents are.

The Escalade is to the 20th century what Joan Rivers is to Hollywood, tacky and obnoxious. :sick:
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,120
    For me:

1968 Buick Special Deluxe
    1975 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
    1979 Buick Park Avenue
    1979 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency
    1987 Chevrolet Caprice Classic
    1988 Buick Park Avenue
    1989 Cadillac Brougham
    1994 Cadillac DeVille
    2002 Cadillac Seville STS
    2007 Cadillac DTS Performance
    habby,

I am not impressed by a Mercedes, or a BMW, like many others. A Rolls Royce, driver is to snobby to be associated with. Do I have realatives who drive non-GM, cars ??? Yep !!! I have a great aunt who owns a Lexus LS, have a cousin who owns Ferrari's, Porsches, Mercedes, etc, but really most of the wealthy folks I know own Cadillacs. They are cheap and can't justify paying twice as much for something that isn't twice as good. That is something I can strongly agree with. A Cadillac or a Lincoln, like the new MKS, has everything I would want in a luxury car. In fact the MKS, would be on my car shopping list if I had the money. ;)

-Rocky
  • In the last year or so I'm developing faith in GM with products such as the new Escalade, CTS, Pontiac with their hardtop convertible, and Buick with the new Enclave. They are putting out vehicles that people want, they have extended the warranty coverage and are starting to stand behind their vehicles.

I agree. I think GM is on the right track with many of their models.

At this point we can only sit back and watch and hope and pray that GM continues to put out the vehicles that we want and that they produce the quality that meets or exceeds it's competitors.

I hope so to.