Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• robbiegrobbieg Posts: 323
    Not sure that I agree. At least for upscale wagons, E class Mercedes, 5 series BMW, and the Audi. In my opinion, they are cooler than a minivan or SUV.
    Then again, you have to be pretty well off to buy one of these. They are much more expensive than all minivans and most SUVs. Cadillac needs a wagon because their competitors, Mercedes, BMW and Audi have wagons.

Also, I think a fair amount of people buy Passat wagons. If you get one loaded they sort of get near the base CTS in price.

And yes, Cadillac does need a model priced below the CTS.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    ...a model priced below the CTS should be Buick's domain. I wouldn't mind a baby Buick based on the BLS. Maybe they can call it the Special for old time's sake?

I would most definitely be interested in a DTS-V or something like it. Of course such a vehicle would break my budget. I can always dream.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I too am amazed that any Cadillac can take this honor from the sacred Bimmer - good for GM! That is a real accomplishment. I guess maybe GM CAN make Cadillac a standard again....it takes a lot of effort though, and resources. But the CTS is the main thing Caddy has, and in these times, it's not a bad thing to have going for ya.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    Cimmaron = Strike One!
    Catera = Strike Two!
    CTS = HOME RUN!!!
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    What do you see a DTS_V being? I can see a RWD DTS making some sense as a V model perhaps, but that really depends on what the RWD DTS is designed for. The V series Cadillac sedans are about being high performance sports sedans. The DTS is not a sports sedan, and trying to make a V series out of it would be a total waste. But a RWD DTS that is similar to the Pontiac G8 might prove to be a decent platform for a V series edition. The CTS_V is a decent Cadillac in the V series and does compare with the competition. The STS_V was OK, but not competitive and probably should have been marketed as a performance STS. The STS's northstar engine was simply not designed for enough power. I think they planned for the next generation V8 (now cancelled) to provide V-series performance. The Corvette engine the CTS_V is OK for the CTS, but not quite what should be expected from a higher end car.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,251
    Nice...the other team is still ahead by 5 runs in the 9th with 2 outs!

Regards,
    OW
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    I actually liked my little Catera...

Claire

HOST

• m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    Might as well buy an Opel Omega cuz thats exactly what a Catera is. Its a decent car though, comfy ride. But not worthy the price premium for the cadi badge.
    But the Opel's were not available in the US market then. Holden's are not available here either, execpt as Pontiac's G8 now or the GTO previously.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Cadillac will introduce a compact rear-wheel drive sport sedan in 2011 to compete with the size and performance of cars like the BMW 3-series, Audi A4 and Mercedes-Benz C-class.

The car may offer a high-powered four-cylinder engine. However, it's been engineered to match the top sports sedans' performance.

GM is still debating whether to offer the car with both V6 and high-output four-cylinder engines. No production site has been announced, but North American assembly is likely.

If a four-cylinder model gets the green light, look for the engine to produce more power than the 260-horsepower 2.0-liter four-cylinder GM now uses in cars like the Pontiac Solstice GXP and Chevrolet HHR SS.
    The Catera had a reputation for being the Caddy that stalls, as well as zigs.....the CTS is a vast improvement. Some may have liked them, but they were not world class by any means.
    was Cadillac's quick and dirty solution to the Lincoln LS. The lack of a V8 suggests that Cadillac was thinking 3-series too. The CTS is the longer term, better thought out, sports sedan. The Escalade was also the quick and dirty solution to the Lincoln Navagator. The Escalade has not been replaced with something more Cadillac like though.
    Ah yes - the days when Lincoln was great, in the lead, and stirring it up out there. Not so any longer!!
    As a rebadged Omega, I didnt expect much from the beginning. Like I said, decent car, but not worthy the premium price and badge.
    CTS is light years ahead of catera.

Btw maybe I'm the only one, but I find the previous gen CTS (after the facelift) better looking than the current one. The new one would look great sans the oversized grille.
    I am sure you are not the only one. Once you get into specialty vehicles (low volume, high price) yoiu start getting inot polarizing styling. Some will love it but others hate it. On a high volume vehicle you want to be as non offensive as possible to make sure enough people like it to get your sales numbers. If you only need to sell 50,000 vehicles you need to make sure your styling is so compelling to the 50,000 buyers they gotta have it.

btw I love the front grille!
    Wow, we sure stand on different side of the fence on that. On the contrary I like the grille on the Escalade, looks pretty good.
    That said the new escalade and the old represent different images, at least to me. Whereas the old one looks classier and still suits older customers, the new one is flashy and suits younger buyers better. just my opinion. :)
    the new one is flashy and suits younger buyers better

Well that is good. Cadillac needed to reduce its average age.
    Well that is good. Cadillac needed to reduce its average age.

I know everyone says that - but that rationale escapes me to some degree. The median age grows older every year. Older folks usually have most of the money...somebody has to build cars for them, because I can tell ya, at 55, I'm not interested in a Chevy anymore, as if I ever were. There is this continual struggle to lower the age of your buyer - and so if you do that successfully, you risk offending the old farts who like your cars, if you're CAdillac. Oldsmobile did it - look at them now, Buick did it, and has never been as strong selling since. Personally, I think they should be careful about abandoning their market, but that's just me.
    I agree pretty much with what you say. However one big reason Buick went down in sales is because they did not at least keep their age group. They aged with their buyers and the buyers died off. You can only raise your median age until they do not drive anymore. I mean an average age of 80 just is not a very big market. Recent changes will hopefully be relevent to a younger market (median age of 50 perhaps).
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    may also change the dynamic...when my grandfather aged, he was an old fuddy duddy...same for my father, no change when he was older...

Now we have that baby boomer group aging, where they are not turning into old farts anymore, at least not at the age of 60-65, maybe not even 70-75...having had imports and sports cars like Audi, Porsche, Infiniti, MB, etc, they may not be ready for the Buick Electra 225 like Dad and Grandpa were, so the auto dynamic for the next 20 years may be nothing like the last 50...

In other words, I think the last 2 generations, WWi and WWII, looked forward to the rest home at 65...Now, we see 65 as the new 50, and we have choices our predecessors did not, at least not to the extent that we did, so maybe Buick and Caddy had better design powerful youthful cars, as their geezer market will disappear and the next geezer market may not see themselves as geezers until they are 80 or more...

Change is in the air...