Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Agree..

Rocky
    Shifty, you put up a good arguement pal. It's hard to argue your position but I think a lot of us think they are confident in the product and want to show the consumer why they should be also. ;)

Rocky
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,878
    There are a lot of unhappy Toyota owners that thought like you do. It is a crap shoot anymore with any car that is not under warranty. The cost of repair has gone up a lot faster than the average wages in this country. You could say the same about health insurance. The difference is if you are sick, broke with out insurance the law requires that you be cared for on the tax payers dollar. That is not the case with a $5000 repair bill on a car past the warranty. ToyLex cost as much or more to repair as a Cadillac.
    ToyLex cost as much or more to repair as a Cadillac.

So their cost to repair is still high ? I assumed by now they would be at least equal to the domestics. :confuse:

Rocky
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,501
    Any modern car is expensive to fix. It costs the same per hour to fix a Hyundai as an Aston Martin, only it's more hours and more expensive parts.

I don't feel like Toyota owes me, or Cadillac owes me one MINUTE past their warranty. That's their warranty. 5 years, take it or leave it. I fully understand that when I buy the car.

What I'm really anxious about it buying a car that breaks constantly within the warranty---wherein I'm making car payments on a car that isn't working.

Now THAT sucks and I don't want to go there.

Well Hyundai, has you covered for a long time both bumper to bumper 6/60K and 10/100K powertrain. GM, also has a decent powertrain warranty 5/100K and in the case of Buick, Cadillac, Saab, they have a 4/50K warranty bumper to bumper.

I thought I read on this site hyundai, ranked at the top in reliabilty scores ? I could be wrong. I know they rank among the leaders.

I still think it's like dice, luck with the throw. ;)

Rocky
    The Caddy dealer near me gives 6 year 100k mile bumper to bumper $0 deductible with every Certified used Cadillac. That is the reason I tried talking my wife into the 2006 White Diamond Escalade. She just does not like the looks. Prefers the Denali Yukon or Envoy. She also likes the GL by MB.
    Has she seen the new 07's ??????

Rocky
  • kratas101kratas101 Posts: 33
    gagrice you do know that every GM certified used vehicle now carries a 5yr/100k warranty from their date first date of in service right?
    That is the factory standard warranty. I would assume the Certified 6 & 100k is some extended warranty. The salesman was very proud of the fact that it was B to B with no deductible. I am sure that was from original date of sale.

Rocky,
    My wife does not like the angular lines on the Cadillacs. I guess it appeals to a younger crowd. I drove the 2007 Escalade which was very nice. Except the seats are so much harder than the 2006 and older models. The one I drove was near $70k and the 2006 with 21k miles was $40k. Too big of a hit for me to accept. That is what I am seeing with all the big luxury SUVs. Including the Lexus that is supposed to have great resale.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,062
    then give longer warranties. It's not something a company that has total confidence in their reliable product would fail to have. Offering it as an extended warranty to purchase to get 7 years doesn't make sense. Toylex and Honcura should offer the 10 year/100000 powertrain at the very least.
  • mediapushermediapusher Posts: 305
    I don't know what it is. I used that term because a woman I worked with said she had the brake manifold replaced for the 9th time and she did the :lemon: law on her Chevrolet Suburban. Did she mean the exhaust system? I don't know. I'm not a mechanic
    What are you guys talking about? My car (Toyota Corolla) doesn't cost that much to fix.

It's the cars that have all the gadgets, gizmos and hoo-hahs (luxury cars) that cost a lot of money to fix
    Then you might as well times me by millions. If i'm living in the past so be it. That's what GM gets for exploiting its customers of the past, many of whom are still living today and who have not recommended GM cars to their young friends, sons, daughters, or grandchildren.

I've already explained the problems I've had with GM cars. Scrollback and read the blog more thoroughly

That's fine, keep wasting your money on GM cars. It's your money
    Yes you're right , and we can't grow lettuce without getting cow s--- run off on it so that people don't get sick and die, and our fast food establishments don't know how to fry a hamburger long enough to kill ecoli, we can't even control our borders and sovereignty, and we also produce more serial killers than any other country. And you're point about China would be??

If the argument is they couldn't make a standard of the world Cadillac because of the poison pet food wheat gluten fiasco points you mentioned, that's like the pot calling the kettle black.

Maybe we should worry about cleaning up our own "house" before we start bad mouthing other countries
    It's the cars that have all the gadgets, gizmos and hoo-hahs (luxury cars) that cost a lot of money to fix

You and I agree on that subject. Although it is not just the luxury cars anymore. You can get all the extra electronic gadgetry in a Civic or Corolla. One poster was complaining on her Toyota that she had bought to get high mileage when her display screen went bad right after the warranty was up. It was going to cost her $1000 to replace. She could not operate the radio, heat or AC without that display. All cars are getting too complex. We are in a throw away society. And cars are just that. Use till something breaks and chuck it.

PS
    Except a Cadillac :shades:
    Gagrice-

As sad as it is, this is the philosophy that GM operated by for so long. As far as I'm concerned they still do operate by the philosopy of "build it so it breaks" mantra--so that the customer will be forced to come back. This is how GM makes their money. Now with the addition of their new 100,000 mile warranty things may be changing.

The idea that others may be following their "lead" is horrifying. Build reliable products and the loyalty and sales will take care of themselves. Unfortunately many corporations only think of quarterly profits as opposed to long term profits, because they have to please their stockholders. It's sad.

Why do you think such noise was made over HDTV (hyped-delayed television) because televisions were lasting too long. These greedy corporations want us to buy stuff constantly. Many of them don't want products lasting a long time, cause they can't make money that way, so they claim. Remember the television industry. When Sony Trinitron was introduced in 1969/70 ? It had a picture that could stop a customer from clear across the sales floor. My Sony TV lasted 19 years before showing any functioning problems. This is how Japan knows how to compete. Make it much better and make it last, then perhaps they'll taper off a bit, but I don't think by much.
    I got news for you. Toyota has that same idea. They are not building cars like they did in the 1990s. The last 2-3 years have seen some real problems for Toyota. I think that GM is starting to turn around. Though for GM trucks I have not had a problem with the 5 I have owned since 1988. Cars may be a different story.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,501
    I would like to invest in more companies with problems like Toyota. :P "Toyota been pretty good to meee".

GM is starting to turn around? 35 years after the fact? Well imagine that,they're starting to turn around. Puhleeeez. What took them so long? It really amazes me how deluded people are...STARTING to turn around. I've been hearing that for 36 years.

At least Toyota turned it around and gave us what we wanted even if their quality is starting to slip a little bit now.

GM just continued to suck us into their cesspool without ever turning it around until now, how pathetic-- They're just now turning it around. Why are we supposed to find that delay to be acceptable?
    Rocky,
    My wife does not like the angular lines on the Cadillacs. I guess it appeals to a younger crowd. I drove the 2007 Escalade which was very nice. Except the seats are so much harder than the 2006 and older models. The one I drove was near $70k and the 2006 with 21k miles was $40k. Too big of a hit for me to accept. That is what I am seeing with all the big luxury SUVs. Including the Lexus that is supposed to have great resale.

Yeah, that is a heck of a drop in one MY :surprise:

Rocky
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    That is the way it used to be believed that company's with quality problems went with the longer warranties, but that is not the case with GM. The longer warranty in GM's case is to help win back customers who feel that foreign cars have better reliabilty and to show better value for their money. GM doesn't have a engine quality or reliability issue and based on GM's warranty claims the last 10 years they felt that this would not effect their bottom line because there haven't been to many warranty claims in this area.

Isuzu, Suzuki, and Chrysler are others who extended their warranties without the Hyundai fine print making the warranty void if selling or trading in before the 10 year powertrain warranty expired.

I see the trend continuing with Toyota joining the field in the next couple of years. Could it be that Toyota's recent slide in reliability/recalls have given them reason to not implement right now?
    You are allowed to transfer Hyundai's warranty to "1" owner and the transaction has to take place within' 30 days.

I talked to a Hyundai, customer service representative a few days ago asking about the Genesis, and asking about discounts I might be elgible for if I were to ever buy a Hyundai, product since my father's company Delphi Corporation builds Fuel Injection systems for Hyundai.
    I was told that's the warranty rule on Hyundai/Kia brands.

Rocky
    I am not sure I know what you are saying. A Hyundai owner after buying their car has 30 days to decide to sell to another buyer and the 10 years powertrain warranty stays in effect?

All I know is the Hyundai/Kia powertrain warranty is only good for the original owner or immediate family member only. That is what it says, and that is what Hyundai had counted on thinking that people don't keep vehicles that long.
    No, What I'm saying is if you buy the car and drive let's say 30,000 miles on it over 3 years. You can sell it to whoever and then the next owner has 30 days to get the HPP transferred into his/her name and they have to pay a small fee for transfer cost. I think it's like $30-40 bucks.

The car's HPP is only allowed to be transferred once. ;)

I will try to get you a link, so hold on....brb

Okay here it is......
    http://www.hyundaiusa.com/global/contactus/faq_warranty.aspx

Rocky
    Only the Hyundai Sonata ranks at the top for initial quality. Hyundai as a whole is no where toward the top.
    10 YEAR / 100,000 MILES POWERTRAIN PROTECTION Covers most engine & transaxle components.

Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e. selected Engine and Transmission/Transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. Coverage applies to Original Owner only effective with 2004 Model Year and newer model year vehicles. On 1999-2003 Model Years, coverage applies to Original Owner and immediate family members (i.e. wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson).

Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5 year / 60,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e. taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/global/warranty/warranty.aspx

5 YEAR / 60,000 MILES NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY Covers nearly every new vehicle component

Covers repair or replacement of any component manufactured or originally installed by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.

Following components covered for time and mileage limits indicated:
    - Radio And Sound Systems (i.e. radio, cassette tape drive mechanism, and compact disc player): 3 years / 36,000 miles
    - Paint: 3 years/ 36,000 miles
    - Battery: 3 years / unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years / unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)
    - Air Conditioner Refrigerant Charge: 1 year / unlimited miles
    - Adjustments: 1 year / 12,000 miles
    - Wear Items: 1 year / 12,000 miles (e.g. belts, brake pads & linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper blades, bulbs, fuses)

But this one says only the original owner has the powertrain warranty and once he sells the warranty ends. They customer service guy I spoke to told me the warranty could be transferred once. :confuse:

The 5/60K warranty can be transferred to the next owner.

If that is true I'd rather have the GM, warranty as the next owner can get any of the remaining coverage left and their is no restriction on transfer. ;)

Rocky
    Are you sure ? I though last year Hyundai, ranked right next to Porsche and Lexus :confuse:

I know Cadillac and Buick was ranked up there also.

Rocky
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,698
    I will say this, my Elantra has been the most reliable car I have ever had.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

So your Elantra, was the "Cadillac" of reliabilty. :P

How reliable is your CTS-V ? Any problems with it ?

Rocky