Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Civic Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,028
    ...if the '98 Civic has an interference or non-interference engine? Thanks.
  • One evening I parked my car and 30 minutes later went to start it and everything was completely dead - nothing worked. I had the car jump-started and drove home (just across the street). I attempted to re start it and it was still completely dead. 24 hours later - it started right up as though nothing was wrong. The battery was only 3 months old, so I took it back to Walmart. On the way there the electrical system cut our for about a half-second, but the car kept running. The mechanic confirmed the battery was completely dead so they replaced it. However, the car still would not start. After about 20 minutes of trying to figure out the problem, it started. I took it to a repair facility telling them the problem and not to turn off the car. Well - of course they turned it off, but it started up right away and caused no problem on the way home. I was told that something is draining the battery, and it was probably the alternator. The honda dealer said it most likely is not the alternator as she had seen only one go bad in 8 years and the problems did not sound like an alternator problem. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have not driven it in a week and can't take it to a mechanic until payday.
  • damo1damo1 Posts: 1
    can anyone help me? i have a honda civic 1.5 lsi 1994. i am having power problems. when accelerating away i have no problems but my top speed is only 75 mph can anyone give me some advice or a solution to this problem? any help would be much appreciated
  • I have had my civic for 9 years without any problems untill now it keeps blowing the immoboliser fuse someone told me that it could be a trapped wire any body got any ideas
  • I am having a similar problem. I have a 1991 civic (manual transmission) and my top speed is 70 mph, but this only happens when the check engine light is on, which happens to be almost all the time (I should mention that if the check engine light does not come on the car drives perfectly fine). The computer reads out the code for the fuel injectors, but that doesn't actually apprear to be the problem because when they are replaced, the problem still exists. My mechanic and I think that there is a problem with the computer, but I don't know if that is a primary or seconday problem.
  • so we just put a new engine in my car its just the stock d15 b7 for my 95 honda civic and we finnaly got everything hooked up it starts and runs perfectly but when i go to let out the clutch and go it doesnt go i had it in first gear and everything and i could let out the clutch all the way and let my foot off of it and it wouldnt accelerate or anything i need all the help i can get please!!!
  • For some reason the clutch plate is not releasing so that the engine engages the transmission. (You put in a new clutch when you had the engine out, I assume.)

A few possibilities:

--The clutch plate is binding on the transmission shaft.
    --The clutch slave cylinder is stuck in the extended position.
    --The clutch release lever (actuated by the slave cylinder) is binding.
  • I haven't touched my 1997 Honda Civic for one week and yesterday I couldn't start the engine. well, it turned over a little bit the first time but not good enough to start the engine. so tried again and then it made a little bit noise. Didn't start. the third time was no noise at all. What might be the problem?

I noticed that when I turn my key to the Start(III), the system charging indicator light was on. This morning one of my friends tried to jump start my car, but we couldn't open the front trunk. It was -15 C outside so I think everything is frozen.

I've got the car inspected one month ago. Does it mean all the batteries/connections/engine should be ok?

What would be the cheapest way to get my car back? I am in Calgary and everything is very expensive as you know.

Thanks,
  • Get you car in a garage to thaw out. Then you should be able to open the hood (trunk is in the back). Then, replace the battery and you should be good to go.
  • Is it possible for a not-handy -man to change the battery by myself at all?

Before that, I will have to figure it out how to get my car to garage. I guess I would have to call a tow but I am not sure how much it will cost me. I will call a garage.

Thank you again.
  • So, I live on the "wet" coast. We get lots of rain. I have a 2004 Honda Civic. The fast month or so when driving in the rain a terrible noise comes from under the hood when accelerating. Our car sounds like a TANK. It happens when we drive through a puddle, or if it is raining hard and the road is overly wet. When the clutch is pushed in the noise fades out ... so we thought it had something to do with the belts.
    We had it in to be serviced, and our Honda dealership mechanic told us they saw nothing wrong with the car, but they deglazed the belts. They thought this might help the problem, but if it doesn't then we will have to replace the belts at $140 each. Our Honda mechanic also went on to tell me to avoid driving in puddles and/ or don't drive in the rain. I thought that was the most absurd thing I have ever been told by a mechanic! How am I to avoid driving in the rain???!!! I said that to him, and he didn't have much of a response.
    Anyway ... has anyone else experienced the noise we have had with our car. Any thoughts on what exactly it might be? I don't think I am getting the full answer from my dealership.

Thanks,

Shannon
  • cam2003cam2003 Posts: 131
    I almost could not move the shift selection back from R to Park or N twice today.
    I had to use a lot of force to put it back to Park. It seemed to stuck inside the transmission gear box (Brake pedal and push button were fully pressed).
    I bought this 96 CIVIC last month, I did notice the gear selection was not smooth. I had lubricated inside gear selection box, but it did not help.
    I am afraid one day, I would be able to drive in reverse only.
    Any helps to identify the problem/fix would be greatly appreciated.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I'm not a mechanic, but it sounds like the switch that allows you to shift from park when the brake is depressed may not be working. On your gear selector, or near it, do you see a keyhole? Put your key in there and see if you can't get it to neutral a lot easier. If that is the case, it sounds like the brake-interlock (that's not the technical name for it) switch is bad.

Don't sweat too much yet, as that switch shouldn't be a big job to replace.
  • cam2003cam2003 Posts: 131
    I tried to put key into keyhole, it's quite a resistance when moving gear level around P-R-N. I will take a look the shift cable underneath the car. Maybe it's so rusty that preventing from shifting.
  • zeus3zeus3 Posts: 5
    I would like to know if anybody know how to get the code for my car radio. I lost the number that came with the car and my radio does not work after I had a problem with the battery. I called the Honda Dealer and he said that they have to take the radio out to get the number. There must be a better way for me to get this code!

Any suggestions?
  • I just bought a Honda Civic LX 2003 - 93K Kms on it.
    1.When the car reaches 50Kms/hr and above it feels like a lot of noise inside the car (like truck driving, or zooming noise)
    2. When i start the accelerator slowly initially, i can feel some cranky noise like some fluids moving kind of noise and goes off when the car picksup. It is a very faint noise.
    I am new drivier, so dont know anything about cars.
    Please help
  • im wondering if anyone knows why my 95' civic (coupe) keeps reving even if i put it in "Park" after being driven for about 30 mins.???
  • This car will not start, when turning the key it just clicks. Checked battery it is charged. Headlights, horn, hazards and etc. will not work or seem to be mixed up. The cd player seems to have a mind of it's own.
  • I had a similar problem with my '99 Civic. Turned out the positive battery cables were corroded under the battery terminal. The battery was new and the terminal was fine, but I disconnected it from the cable and the cable was green and white and some of the wires fell off. I just cut off 1/2 inch from each one and replaced with new terminals (did the ground also) and all was good to go. Not sure that is your problem, but worth a shot.
  • crv16crv16 Posts: 205
    On newer civics, there is this procedure to get the serial number (NOT the code):

With car turned off, press the 1 and 6 radio preset buttons. Turn on car, serial number will scroll by on the display. Hopefully this works on yours.
  • i have a 1990 honda civic. its an automatic with about 240,000 miles on it. it has always ran good but a few days ago it just wouldnt start. i went to the mall and a couple hours later when i went to start it, it would not fire. it cranks just fine. i checked the intake and it is clear. i grounded out the spark plugs and i am getting spark. i know im getting fuel because i can hear the fuel pump running when i turn the key and i can smell gas from the cylinder when i pull out the plugs. what could be wrong? i read online that it could be the ecu or ecm but if im getting spark then that doesnt make sense. if anyone has an idea please let me know. thanks
  • zeus3zeus3 Posts: 5
    crv16,

Thanks for the instruction. But I tried and no serial number showed up when I started the car. Somebody told me that I will need the serial number of the radio but to get it I have to take the radio out, is that correct?
  • jymmyjymmy Posts: 2
    my Civic 97 Dx makes a clunking sound when I make a U-turn from a traffic light. The tighter the turn the louder the clunk. What should I ask my mechanic to look for?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Could potentially be the CV joints, but let them hear the noise, feel it when they drive it, and figure it out for themselves.
  • that noise is going to be that your cv boot is torn so you will need to replace it asap ..
  • jymmyjymmy Posts: 2
    thanks for the info
  • Since having our belts deglazed this has not helped the problem. We travelled home for the holidays and the noise was worse than ever. Does anyone have any thoughts? PLEASE HELP!
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Hard to tell from your description without hearing it, what the problem really is.

If I assume that what the dealership said is correct and they didn't find anything major wrong with it (so tried deglazing the belts), then probably the next step is to replace the belt with a new one.

While you have the old belt off, I would turn each of the accessory pulleys by hand, to see if you can detect one of those pulleys binding or have a bad bearing. My suspicion is that you may have an accessory going bad, which is putting a strain on the belt, and what you are hearing is that secondary symptom.

If you are not handy to do this job yourself, I would get it to a competent shop.
  • Purchased a 1987 Honda Civic. Live in the Pacific Northwest. Lots of water. The interior floor is soaking wet. There also seems to be a lot of water trapped somewhere in the body. Can anyone shed light on this for me?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Does it have a moon/sunroof? The drainage lines could be clogged causing the water to drain into the car.