Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Civic Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    There are way too many reasons why your car could be doing what you're describing to diagnose it over the internet. That said, I'm not hearing any compelling reason to replace the motor, just get it to a competent mechanic and have him/her give it a look-see.

Keep us posted.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Anybody know is there any website to show how to replace the headlight assembly step by step?????
  • having problems starting my civic already checked fuel,injecters,changed plugs and wires and the $%^&&$%#$@#@ thing will not start. IT WAS WORKING FINE THEN ONE MORNING IT JUST WOULDNT START CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME ANYTHING TO CHECK OR SOMETHING ALREADY LOST MY JOB CLEAR ACROSS TOWN LOOKING FOR A JOB CLOSE TO HAOME PLEASE HELP.
  • Just a stab in the dark here: mine would not start - it was totally dead. After checking everything, I found that one of the battery cables was coroded. Not where it connected to the battery, but at the end where it conected to the car. I replaced both battery cables and it started right up.
  • I need a little help diagnosing and figuring out where to start. I am mechanically inclined but not a mechanic and can ususally do what needs to be done if I can just figure out what to check and what the problem is.

My civic started running hot a couple of weeks ago when I stopped moving or got stuck in traffic. It would never actually overheat just run a lot hotter then normal. I also noticed that the heater wasn't blowing hot air. Having had an accord previously with a cooling fan that went bad that is the first thing that I checked. I used a jumper wire to send 12v directly to the fan and it seemed to work just fine. I decided to check the fuses/relay/and cooling fan thermostat but happened to notice that the radiator seemed a little low on fluid so I filled it up and let the car sit in the garage to warm back up and put a meter on the thermostat and relay to see if they were working properly. However, after letting the car run for a half an hour the car would not run hot and the fan never would kick on. I thought that maybe the car had just been low on anti-freeze so I stopped there for a couple of days. A few days later the problem would start again and I would check the level and it would be low and again I would fill and check the heat and it wouldn't overheat. Then it started this week again. I thought that maybe there was a leak somewhere but can't find any radiator fluid on the floor of the garage or when I park at work, yet still the fluid level drops every few days. I don't know if it is related, but it seems to be burning more oil in the past few months than it used to.

The past couple of days however, every time I started the car or let it idle it started making more of a rumble or missing noise. This morning I didn't think it was going to stay running long enough to pull it out of the garage. It also seemed to lose power when I did get it going. Then when I got stuck in traffic it started running hotter then ever before so I pulled into a parking lot and the car actually overheated. Not wanting to damage it I had it towed back home. So, now I am staring at the engine trying to figure out where to start.

I know this is a long post, but wanted to give as much info as possible. I would appreciate any advice. I would have had it taken to a mechanic, but the money for that is not available to me right now.

Thanks in advance.
  • I have been doing a lot of research online about my shift lock problem with Honda's. I've checked the following items in my car and I still can't get my car out of park:

1) the brake switch (Good All brakes lights works)
    2) the shift-interlock solenoid (Looks good and clean)

I have removed the center console and look at all of the connectors and solenoid and they all look good. Why can prevent power going to the center console? Any relay that need to be replaced? All of the wires look good and they are connected. I am not getting any power going to shift-interlock solenoid.

Please help! I've checked all of the fuses and they all look good.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    You should suspect a blown head gasket, allowing your coolant to mix with cylinder gasses.

Have a compression test done on all the cylinders, to see if one (or more) are reading low. If so, you'll need to have some upper engine head work done on it.
  • marylongmarylong Posts: 10
    On Feb 8th, the temp gage started to show the engine was hot. When stopped or moving slow, keeping the heater on full blast would keep the needle in the middle where it belonged. Or, when moving steadily above 35mph, the temp would be good. Then after a couple days, there was no problem - it just stopped misbehaving and all was well. On Feb 28th, it started again and I was able to keep the gage at normal by keeping the car moving. Then over the next couple days, just keeping the car moving was not enough. I have to have the heater going full blast on high heat AND have to have the car moving to get the needle to normal. If I slow or stop, even with the heater going, the needle gets nearly to the red mark - but has not topped out. I checked under the hood and noticed that the fan in front of the radiator was not moving. Will just replacing the fan fix the problem or could there be other things wrong?
    You need to have some determine what is wrong, not just replace parts. The fan might be perfectly fine, but the fuse is blown, or the temperature sensor is bad, or a relay is bad, or a connector has corrosion on it.

It 'could' be that the fan is bad, but better to spend some diagnostic time/money to repair the correct thing.

Is the radiator full of coolant, as well as the overflow tank? Is the fuse okay? If you put a digital voltmeter across the power feed to the fan when it's hot (and the fan should be running), do you have 13volts? If you connect power directly to the fan, does it go on?
  • hey i just got a 1997 honda civic 164,000mi manuel 5 spd , the guy i got it from put a custom air intake in it and an exhaust. it sounds ok, but when after i got it when i first drive it on a normal warm day depending on how far i press the gas pedal its when it squeels. i can control it by either pushing the gas pedal farther or more less, just kind of ackward. thought it may be the air intake for abit, but it appears in good shape.

also when before i come to a start it makes a buzzing sound and sounds like the transmission is reving down. the best way to describe it is something winding down even though the car is stopped . could of be the drive tran? ior maby the air intake acting weird. No problems with the gear except when i drive in 1st and press the gas to go the stick moves back, kinda wierd. no problems with hesitation or anything like that. :confuse:
  • vadidvadid Posts: 1
    04 Honda Civic SE. 23000 miles, manual shift from 1st to neutral goes with a clunk!

Most of the time shifting from 1st to neutral is nice and smooth, sometimes there is slight resistance in moving out of 1st, but occasionally the lever seems almost eager to get out of 1st as if its sprung loaded and it comes out with a thump. Was told by Honda that it was due to engine torque, but it happens at any rpm. low or high when I would have thought torque could have an effect, and why only me? May not happen for a few days, but then have a bad shift three or four times in a row, almost as if tension is being built up, and is then released suddenly.Can't produce this effect to order, and am careful in changing gear. The gear change linkage has been replaced and adjusted to no avail. Now out of guarantee and I fear a hefty bill in the future! Only happens coming out of 1st. gear. No noise from the box, just that of the leaver thumping to a halt in neutral.
  • trevorjctrevorjc Posts: 1
    Recently I was installing an after market cd player in my 2001 Honda Civic and some wires touched. Now the radio does not work, and the power door locks and dome light only work when the car is on. But it only unlock, not lock. Also when I start the car the gauges jump up and down a little for about 3 sec. And when I turn the car off the gauges stay where they were when I started the car. And the remote to the alarm does not work anymore and I have checked all the fuses in the fuse box under the dash and under the hood and they turned out fine. Can someone please help me with this issue?
  • im getting a wierd noise when my 5spd 1997 honda civic is in neutral. when i shift into 1st or any gear it goes away. also when i press the gas about half way i get a squeeling. but when pressed alittle or alot its not present. please gime ahand , im stumped .

THX bunches :cry:
  • amonslowamonslow Posts: 1
    i have a 91 Honda civic i just bought. it seems to run nice and cool driving around town. i can drive 70 no problem. When i drive at a constant incline uphill it seems to overheat. i just replaced the thermostat and temp sending unit. there isn't any oil or anything in the coolant and there is no milky substances in the oil. there is no white smoke coming from tail pipe. i did notice the coolant in the reservoir to be missing a little bit though. i was just wondering if you think its the water pump or could it be a head gasket?

I just took it to the Honda dealer and paid them $95 to check out the problem but im a little leery of honesty with what they will tell me. just thought i would see if anyone has or has had or knows about this issue, thanks
    Could be a number of things, but I would suspect that one of the accessories or pulleys on your engine has a bearing going bad.

The best way to trouble shoot this, is to take off the accessory belt, and then start the engine for a short period of time and verify that the noise is no longer present. If by some chance the noise continues, then your problem is in your engine or transmission, and you need to get it looked at quickly.

Assuming the noise stops, then turn off the engine, and carefully turn each of the accessories by hand, feeling for binding or wobbly pulleys. It's usually pretty easy to feel which device is the problem, then you can replace that specific accessory or pulley.
  • jjart23jjart23 Posts: 1
    I am having some problems. I have been unable to locate a fuel filter for my Civic EX. I know that i am still green when it comes to owning a Honda but i know what a fuel filter looks like. Can someone out there help me by letting me know where this is located at. The only other thing that i can guess is that it is in the Fuel Tank
    It's on the left rear quarterpanel just above the left rear wheel.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Fuel F-I-L-T-E-R or F-I-L-L-E-R?

;)
    Oh geez, my bad. I guess that cataract in my right eye is giving me more problems than I thought. :blush:

To the OP, ummm, don't mind me. :P

Best Regards,
    Shipo