Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Sunfire Care and Maintenance

13»

Comments

• is it 2.2l or 2.4l?
  • Did u get this problem figured out? Mine 02 2.2 is doing the exact same thing...I have done the exact same thing...
  • I am having the exact same problem on my 02...have changed thermostat, pump, flushed, was gonna do compression test this eve...(Head)...but found a post on here about the temp sensor...gonna change it and level sensor...did u figure out the issue?
  • hpackhpack Posts: 1
    what causes water to run out of the drain line of a radiator on a 2000 sunfire?? need answers asap! thanks
  • I finally figured this thing out...greater innovation by GM! :-p...I filled overflow, pulled bleeder screw on heater hose line (driver's side of engine on mine), and kept filling till water ran out. put bleeder back in... keep refilling till stands full for five minutes...I also "pumped" top radiator hose a little occaisionally to help push out air...I then started and let run for 15 minutes refilling when water level dropped, which it didn't much...some of this description is found in owners manual under overheating...mine has been fine now for a week...before it would heat up in 5 minutes...btw, it was spilling over before...
  • Check/replace radiator fan relay. It is in the black box under the hood.
  • malibu2005malibu2005 Posts: 5
    edited July 2011
    My wife has a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire the radiator cooling fan has stopped working. After switching the relay switch out it still doesn't work. Can anyone tell me what I should try next before replacing the fan or motor.
  • What you can do is find a way to hook up the positive and negative leads from your battery to the fan motors positive and negative leads. if you unplug the radiator fans power you should be able to try it. careful that you are only doing the positive negative leads or you could take out the relay. if it cuts on then its something other than the fan motor itself. Like a broken wire not allowing power to reach it. but if it does NOT cut on, then it is the fan motor. they are usually 20-40 bucks and real easy to replace. only replace the fan motor not the whole radiator fan assembly, those are way more money and actually harder to replace lol.
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Thanks for the walkthrough on that, loganhankins! Hope to see more of you around here.

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Claire

HOST

• Thanks for the info I really appreciate it.
  • My father has a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire and the engine cooling fan stopped working! Any suggestion?
  • My wife has a 2002 sunfire we had to replace the relay switch twice I would start there.
13»