Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture Electrical Problems

Comments

• I have a 99 venture that the power door locks work with the factory keyfobs but not with the switches inside. I've swapped the switches with another van, still no dice.

Works perfectly with the keyfobs. argh! Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
  • nitro5nitro5 Posts: 1
    I had simular probs it was in my fuse box under the hood battery ing. fuse had corrosion on it i cleaned it and turned it around and got power you can look there check all the big fuses i hope this helps
  • d_jrayd_jray Posts: 5
    I recently replaced the left turn signal bulb on my 2000 Chevy Venture Van and now when I turn on my signal and apply the brake, it blinks erratically. Even when I don't have the turn signal on when I apply my brakes, both arows light up, but they do not flash, but they all light up on the back of the van. Any suggestions.. How can this happen by just changing the bulb? Never had any problems before. :confuse:
  • 05' Chevy Venture Van - the alternator needs to be changed out - can anyone tell me how to remove it - what has to be dismantled to do so- it is in a really tight space - does it come out forward or from behind - does it need to be on a hoist?
    HELP PLEASE
  • 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    I removed it from the top. I'm doing this from memory so I hope I don't make a mistake. You can also check at www.autozone.com - I believe they have the repair guide for the Venture as well.

Anyway......

- disconnect neg. battery cable
    - remove the air intake plumbing
    - detach the throttle cables from the throttle (both: from gas pedal & from cruise control)
    - remove the 2 top motor mounts
    - emergency brake on & block the wheels, put the trans in neutral.
    - use a ratcheting strap from the top motor hoist loop to somewhere sturdy on the front of the car & pull the engine towards the front. It doesn't go to far but its enough for you to get access. The engine actually "rotates" forward when you pull on it - its actually pretty cool.
    -take off the accessory drive belt & belt tensioner
    - unbolt the power steering pump & move it out of the way.
    -remove the black plastic cover over the windshield wiper mechanicals.
    - remove wires & bolts from alternator
    -remove alternator

I don't remember if you have to move the wiper linkages on that side out of the way...you might have to. You just loosen the screws on the joints and slide them out...don't remove the screws, they're a bear to get back in

install & reverse the procedure to put it all back together. Its a REALLY tight fit so you'll have to really work at it to get the old one out. Turn it in every direction to finesse it out of where it is.

Some people say its a lot easier to get at it from the bottom, I'm not sure as I did mine from the top. Expect to burn the better part of an afternoon getting it done...its not fun but its certainly doable by a shadetree mechanic. Be sure to check autozone for the instructions as well as I'm sure they';ll give you some better detail - at least you know what you're up against now.

Good Luck,

John :shades:
  • Curious what fixed your problem? I've got the same problem. Reply to r_b_burg@hotmail.com

Thanks
  • I am having the same problem with my 1997 Chevy Venture. How did you resolve the problem on your van. :mad:
  • Hi all,
    My temp gauge on my 98 Venture moves to high (extreme right-red) and shuts down the van. No battery power to start...nothing, completely dead. Replaced the alternator and thermostat...$750.00 (ouch). Got the van back two days later the temp gauge is high and the van begins to power out. Maybe I need a new battery, is it electrical, does it have to do with the heating/cooling system. I dont know, and niether does my mechanic. Has anybody had a similair problem or does anyone have a solution. Thanks.
  • My temp gauge reads high and the van shuts down. Replaced alternator and thermastat, still problems presist. I will check to see if crystalization is occuring. Have you found the problem, if this was it? Thanks
  • On my 01 Venture. I had some serious back light problems and thin it got too the point that thy did not work at all. With my van the plug for the tale light assembly would get wet (because of the stupid upsidedown connection point design) and got to hot and melted the plastic connector. So I went to the junk yard and got new connectors. Problem fixed. Then the same thing happend again So I cut the connectors off and I bought single wire connectors from Napa (if you do this make sure that the new connectors are small enough to fit tightly around the metal proungs) and filled the joint full of silicone. I did this about 3 years ago and no more problems. Yet Let me know if this helps you.
  • Check your connector if the plastic is starting to melt. Then you might want to look at my post #107.
  • 1998 Chev van

Yesterday my van had the oil pressure light come on, I parked it while it was idling it died. Engine turned over when I was cranking it but would not re-start.

I was going to try and fix that issue today so I took the battery out and gave it 14 hours on 2amp charge overnight

When I replaced the battery, I have NO POWER inside, no lights , no radio, nothing!

I have over 12V at the battery, I checked all the big fuses in the fuse compartment in the engine compartment. When the fuses were out I ensured that I have 12V at the "positive" side of the fuse holder.

The door alarm rings when the key is in the ignition, but as soon as I turn the key to "on" or "start" the dinging stops. Actually as soon as I try to ude ANYTHING with current this stops the door alarm. ie turning the light switch on or plugging anything into the lighter. It seems that this shorts something out?

What am I missing?? There has to be a main fuse or something that I dislodged when removing the battery???????? This is really confusing that I have absolutely NO POWER anywhere, but the battery is showing 12V

Thanks, I hope you can help
  • Hey guys sorry for being an idiot!

I fixed the electrical problem, I had no completely tightened the positive terminal on the battery post. I am dumb, I'm gonna have to blame the cold (Canadian winter working outside = COLD)

Thanks, now just gotta fix the oil presure problem but that is in another post
  • Hello, I have a 2000 chevy venture. All my lights inside and out go dim then bright, dim then bright, dim then bright continously all the time while the enginge is running no matter if it idles or i am driving. Anyone have a clue. Dealership wants 150 dollars just to look at it and I don't have the money for that plus them to fix it. Does anyone know if there is a fix ? Like a regulator or something I can replace? Thanks, Will be waiting for response.....
  • jwp45jwp45 Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. This has been going on for several weeks. Yesterday I lost all of my back lights. Have you found the solution yet?
  • Did you ever get this figured out? My van is doing the same thing. Seems to be connected to the auto head light feature.
  • lottilotti Posts: 2
    Yes. It took a long time but we finally figured out that the lights for the mirror in the visor was shorting and causing the fuse to intermittently blow. We simply disconnected the wiring harness to the visors and the problem has gone away. I hope you can solve your problem. Please let us know how you make out.....
  • This is a ground issue on connector plug to light fixture I had same issue with my Van, Check connector plug for any burns. Clean it if you have it. That what solve my problem
  • OK here we go.... I have an 02 Venture WB and every time we put it in reverse the dash and head lights dim and the fan for the air slows front and back. We had the alternator pulled and checked and the tech said it was bad. The same day they put a new one in and it still did the same thing :mad: . If anyone has any ideas I need to know ASAP!!!!! OH and from what I can tell GM needs to put a warning on the door of this thing that says "NEEDS BOTTOMLESS BANK ACCOUNT!" Thanks