Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture Electrical Problems

Comments

• chaseschases Posts: 41
    to pull the battery you have to remove(and lay over) the fuse box. You also have to remove the radiator support beam that the fuse box attaches to. The battery is still difficult to remove then. I usually have to turn the battery up on end and lift straight up and out. Make sure you clean the cable ends good before installing new battery.
    ask the parts guys that you are looking for a amp meter with a continuity checker. This is where you touch each lead together and the meter will buzz or beep. When you touch each lead of the fuse to the meter that buzz/beep is what your looking for on a good fuse. As far as removing the fuses... I have had to pull the fuses out with a set of plyers sometimes.
    does the starter click when you turn the key?

another possibility might be the key itself! These vans do have that antitheft key fob thing. Do you have a spare key to try?

In the end... you might need to find yourself a good mechanic. Not always a dealership one either!
  • fleastifffleastiff Posts: 51
    Good mechanic?
    The one I had the car towed to said it started several times.
    He turned the key and it made weird noises but started once.
    Then he turned the key several times and it started without the weird noises.
    So I drove it about one mile away and stopped for a quick purchase but it would not start, so after sweating in the hot interior of the car to try to get it to start and sweating in the hot sun waiting for a tow truck, he now says its the starter: 258 dollars please.
  • Same thing happens to me and no one can figure it out! we have been sitting for more than 4 wks now. hooked up to computer it says EGR valve stuck open. We have already gotten a new battery and a rebuilt starter. After it sits for 2 or 3 days, it will start up, then quit 15 minutes later. not turn over again for a few more days. I am looking for a answer too. If i find one here? I will let u know soon as i do! Good luck with it....
  • jhdjhd Posts: 20
    while driving 2001 Venture, step on the gas, gets louder. I checked the charging voltage, solid at 14.5. Would it be grounding issue? Where is the radio ground located? I will check at night if lights dim at the same time, not sure yet, acting promptly at the wife's request to do something. Any ideas?
    I posted it in audio forum but looks like we have more traffic here.
  • halbehalbe Posts: 1
    check the door switches (push buttons on the doors contact faces), they may be frozen in off position or wire broken.
    Sid
  • I have a 1999 Chevy Venture, my dash lights were going on and off, and I noticed that when the dash lights are out, the tail lights are out. Anyone know what the problem is?
  • azuazu Posts: 84
    I believe that under the front seats there are wiring harnesses that control several electrical components. Look to see if any are broken or disconnected.
  • i have a 1998 venture ls.about a month ago the car died while driving it and wouldnt start(starter didnt even try)and the battery was dead.charged the battery and took it to autozone. said bad battery so i replaced it.1 hour drive time and dead battery again so i took it back, and bad alternator they say.so i replaced it.(made sure to buy the delco 140 or 145 amp cant remember) about 1 hour drive time later battery dead again.. so off to the dealer for a test. they say it is the pcm (transmisson section 800 dollars) so i found the same pcm (same chevy pcm and part number...brand new) they asked for my vin number for programming and stamped vin on it.(it is correct) and still keep killing the battery. it is almost like the alternator is not coming on. when i have it running and i disconnect all leads to the alternator i only get about 2.3 volts at the post(and no dummy lights come on). also you can watch the voltage while at idle on a meter go down about 1 tenth of a volt at a time(30 seconds) until about 5volts where it just dies. i removed the ground and cleaned it on the wheel well by the battery and removed and cleaned all connections at the starter.. someone please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!....i needpointed in some direction... i am out of ideas!!!
  • they look fine and are all connected. appears to be air bags and power seats. but all look ok!!!
  • i have a 1998 venture ls.about a month ago the car died while driving it and wouldnt start(starter didnt even try)and the battery was dead.charged the battery and took it to autozone. said bad battery so i replaced it.1 hour drive time and dead battery again so i took it back, and bad alternator they say.so i replaced it.(made sure to buy the delco 140 or 145 amp cant remember) about 1 hour drive time later battery dead again.. so off to the dealer for a test. they say it is the pcm (transmisson section 800 dollars) so i found the same pcm (same chevy pcm and part number...brand new) they asked for my vin number for programming and stamped vin on it.(it is correct) and still keep killing the battery. it is almost like the alternator is not coming on. when i have it running and i disconnect all leads to the alternator i only get about 2.3 volts at the post(and no dummy lights come on). also you can watch the voltage while at idle on a meter go down about 1 tenth of a volt at a time(30 seconds) until about 5volts where it just dies. i removed the ground and cleaned it on the wheel well by the battery and removed and cleaned all connections at the starter.. someone please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!....i needpointed in some direction... i am out of ideas!!!
  • mrpipesmrpipes Posts: 1
    it sounds like you blew out the fuse inside that little box on top of the battery . if that is ok then check your fuses in the passenger compartment when you open the passenger door.
  • just wanted to say we bought a new battery and have had no more problems with it stalling or not starting. But of course now we are having tons of other problems (mostly electrical) and also when I had to have a tire repaired, they found my air shocks are leaking (so now we have to get that repaired). I wish I could get rid of this van before it costs me a fortune, and get a newer reliable vehicle (Toyota would be my first choice! no more ventures!). I have heard many people have so many problems w/the venture after 4-5 years.
    A few times now when I put it in drive it won't go...feels like it is struggling, like I am riding through tons of mud (or something is stuck under the wheel) but then it finally goes. Very weird problem.
  • i did check the fuses located on the battery(all seem ok)..but did not check them inside the vehicle....i keep being told either a bad ground(somewhere) or a hot wire grounding out(could be anywhere).. and thank you for the information i will check them tonight and will take any other ideas or advice if anyone has them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • If it is the OEM radio your have an aout volume button on the lower right hand side of the radio. this is a feature that automaticly adjusts the volume to compinsate for road noise. if you dont like the feature hit the button (auto Volume) and it will stop. :)
  • jbartikjbartik Posts: 1
    Our 97 Chevy Venture has all of the gauges on the dashboard stop working. We have had it fixed only to have it stop in a week and a half. This has happened 3 times. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • rlp50rlp50 Posts: 13
    I'd be curious to know what it is you had fixed the first time. I've had the same problem with my 2000 and never did find out what was causing the problem. It used to be internittent, now the lights are off permanently. As a bypass, I shunted a wire across the interior light switch in the ceiling console and now turn them on or off with that switch.
  • I have a 2000 Venture and my problem is that the interior lights the dashboard lights and tail lights do not work. The brake lights, headlights, reverse lights do work, I have changed a fuse and the broken lights worked for a couple of minutes then the fuse blows, once it worked for about a week then it blew again, can anyone help.
  • 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    There have been issues with the sockets that the tail lights are in...seems that he heat of the bulb causes them to melt and short out...maybe this is your problem?