Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full-size pickup sales - F-150 best selling truck, but for how much longer?

bigo08bigo08 Posts: 102
The Ford F-150 has been the best selling pick up for the last 20-somthing years, but for 2007 there is some stiff competition from the Generals re-designed Silverado and Sierra, the new Toyota Tundra, Dodge Ram and the Nissan Titan...can Ford hold on to that title?? What do you guys think??

* I didn’t include the Honda Ridgeline, well because I was talking about real trucks, not a FWD “truck” disguised with standard AWD

Comments

• The F-150's spot will probably be taken by the Silverado or Sierra in a few years. The overall design is better, it can tow more and I wasn't impressed with the F150's interior compared to the new Silverado's. Sure, the top of the line King Ranch's seats were soft, but the deside of the interior was crude(which applies to all F-150 models)and it is too expensive for that price. And besides, combined, the Silverado and Sierra sales beat the F-150 by the thousands.

The Nissan Titan is a pretty formidable competitor too, but it doesn't have a regular cab or HD models, and the new Tundra don't impress me much looks uncomfortable in design. The Ram is just hopeless, but the Mega Cab may pull in a few extra sales.

The change from F-150 to another truck will happen slowly, in two-three years probably.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Wishful thinking Silverado21.

The General is the king of bean counting...

LOVE those drum brakes on the new Trucks thats real modern.
    Talk about crude interiors, the GMs give you 2 choices. Faux and Cheap.

F-150 gives you a choice of 5 different interior designs to choose from.

Better Design? NOT.

the new GMs have the WORST crash test rating of any full size pickup. http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=70

More towing? F-150s can tow upto 10,500 same as the Chevy.
    Plus you can get an F-150 with a payload of 3,000! I think the max payload on an Chevy is about 1,800.

Talk about build, visit http://www.thetruthabouttrucks.com. Check out the clip that shows the Chevy has NO front structure once you take off the fenders...not to mention the WEAKest frame of a fullsize truck.

As for a few years down the road? Check out this article: http://www.newtechspy.com/articles06/hydraulichybrid.html

Yeah I'm sure peeps will be lining up to buy gas guzzlin' Silverados once the Hybrid F-150 is available.

Mark
  • I'm sorry my friend did you say a 3,000 lb payload, or are you just drunk. The F150 is a half-ton pickup it can barely haul 2000 lbs. Even compare the F150 here at Edmunds. The Dodge Ram has the highest payload capacity which is about 2400 lbs my friend. Next is the Toyota Tundra at 2085 lb payload, then it's the Silverado/Sierra at 2010 lbs, then the F150 at 1950 lbs, and last and the least the Nissan Titan 1745 lbs. Right now the Dodge Ram 1500 has the best payload, I think the New Tundra can get about the same as the Dodge Ram (maybe a bit less) just watch by next year either the Silverado/Sierra, or the Tundra will be the best. :P
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    Actually, you can get F150s with 3000+ payloads. The Regular Cab 8-foot bed 4x2 with the HD Payload Package and 5.4L V8 has a GVWR of 8200 and a payload of 3060.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• You wanna talk about fake, huh? The wood in the Lariat F-150's. The wood in the Dogde and Chevrolet/GMC altleast looks like real wood. Towing? The only way to get the Max is a regular cab 4x2. SuperCrew 2x4 (what the most people will buy) Tows at most 9,500. The Crew Cab 2x4 Silverado tows the max 10,500.

5 different interiors? They all look the same. And all the seats except the King Ranch's are solid hard. And the fit and finish on all Ford products are horrible. At the delership I got in the F-150 and some of the plastic wasn't applied right on the doors(had large gaps on one side and overlapped on the other.) I can't even fit in the back seat of one and I'm 5'9"!

They don't even offer a normal regular cab. In stead they offer a Access cab that looks like a bus.

I can tell you what the F-150 really is, :lemon:.
  • Hey Silverado,

Its sounds like you're having a difficult time accepting the fact that the F-150 is clearly a far superior truck than the GM. I would be upset too if I spent my money on anything other than a Ford...

Long live Ford F-150
  • Silverado is partially right, atleast in towing. Towing, payload, and power are the most of any half- ton pickup out there, atleast until the new Tundra comes out. I don't now to much about the interiors though.

If the Nissan and Toyota can take enough can take enough sales from Ford, Chevrolet could slip past and take the #1 spot. But they could also take sales away from the Chevrolet in the process.

Who knows what could happen in the future, but all I know is to wait and find out what happens in the future. Oh, and andrew9, what Ford product do you actually own?
  • 2006 F150 FX4 super crew, leather interior.

-I should mention however, that I do also own a chevy suburban and love it. I have nothing against chevy, its just that I think the f150 is a better truck. The frame rigidity, outside frame shock mounts, brakes, and quite ride were all selling points for me.
  • All right. I can understand that.

By the way, mschmal, that second website is Ford made. Unless it gives actual facts (horespower ratings, towing facts) It usually isn't true. Afterall, just showing you something they've already laid out probablty ain't. They could switch the parts to make it look like Ford's is the best, and their number one competitor's is the worst.

And on the Frame comparison, it doesn't even try to show the the competition's frames,just little cutouts of who knows what.

If you want comparisons, go to somewhere nonbiased not a car company owned place.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    So you are are saying that Chevy does not use a C channel frame? and that Ford does not use Hydroformed Fully Boxed Frame?

The Tundra is an unproven commodity. Max production for Toyota is about 250k to 300k per year. I don't think Toyota will be able to steal to many customers with that kind of capacity. In the end, if the Toyota is better, it won't be enough better to justify paying the premium that the Toyota dealers will likely demand.

Mark.

Watch the Silver Creek road test video.

Mark.
  • Here are some spec's for the Fullsize truck class for 2007.

Ford F150 300hp/365 lbft tor. 9500 lb towing capacity
    Chevy Silverado 315hp/ 338 lbft tor. 10,500 lb towing capacity
    Dodge Ram 345hp/375 lbft tor. 9000 lb towing capacity
    Toyota Tundra 381hp/405 lbft tor. 10,800 lb towing capacity
    Nissan Titan 317hp/ 385 lbft tor. 9500 lb towing capacity

Payload capacities
    Ford F150(4x2) 2090 lbs
    Chevy Silverado (4x2) 2150 lbs
    Dodge Ram (4x2) 2200 lbs
    Toyota Tundra (4x2) TBA
    Nissan Titan (4x2) 1890 lbs

As you can see Chevy and Toyota have the two best towing trucks, while the Dodge Ram has the least along with the Ford F150 and the Nissan Titan.For payload capacities the Dodge Ram has the best. While the Nissan Titan somehow struggles to carry large loads. Also Chevy seems to produce the least amount of torque. NOTE: For Toyota Tundra the horsepower and torque numbers are rumors. If you would like to see for yourself go to wikipedia.com and search for the Toyota Tundra, then scroll down to second generation and it will have the numbers for only the 5.7 Liter.

To what I can see in 2007 the Toyota Tundra, Chevy Silverado, and Dodge Ram will sell well. The others will struggle a bit.
  • I test drove a ford and after the test drive my back was stiff. The seats are horrible and don't even get me started about the slow tell me when you get to 60 engine. Payload means nothing if it can't continue to take the beating and a 1/2 ton ford will always crumble. Now take a f-250 or 350 and they are some serious work trucks, I know from experience on the ranch.
  • oldharryoldharry Posts: 413
    F series has been best selling for 20 + years, but when the new Super Duty trucks came out in '99, there were a couple years the F250/F350's combined sold more than F150.

The SD looked so much better than the F150, that a lot of Ford fans moved up a class from what they needed. Was a good deal for Ford too, SD had more profit, and was/is a good truck. The bigger brakes, tires, etc. lasted longer in service rated for a 1/2 ton so maintenace was less for the owner too.

Harry
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Ford, can match GM and Toyota in powertrain and fit and finish. They better get those "Hurricane" engines out ASAP along with interior material technology. I'm praying for them almost as much as I do for GM. The Big 2 might be all that's left for me to cheer for with Chrysler going in the toilet. :cry: :sick:

Rocky
  • Like we say on the farm, "brand loyalty is good, but sometimes people are just stupid"!

Based on what I currently see, I suspect Toyota will dominate in the near future. They have the best handle on manufacturing and quality. And they sell with the highest profit margin (which strengthens the health of the company).

I've always had Ford pick-ups on the farm and they have served me well. However the 6.0 diesel is a disaster with no replacement.

As far as weights go, who cares. Load'em up until the bumper drags then shovel a scoop of manure out and go!
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    Till they quit producing them
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    The F-150 SuperCrew came in 5th out of 5 in this months' Car & Driver half-ton pickup comparison. Chevy came in first and beat out both Titan (2nd) and the new Tundra (3rd).
  • jwoodyjwoody Posts: 3
    Proof is in the pudding. I have a 2004 F150 4x4 with :) :) 127,000 miles. Great ride, interior is perfect and no problems. That doesn't include tires, brakes. Try one you'll like it.
  • chrmdomechrmdome Posts: 107
    Greetings:

April 07' Motor Trend: Toyota Tundra vs Silverado, result:
    Silverado 1st Place , $4K less expensive and you don't get that but ugly Ford/Tundra front end treatment.....

Enjoy those Silveradoswith the full box frames!!

Chromedome
  • markanmarkan Posts: 48
    I have an 01 F150 7700 GVW 4X4 extended cab short box. This is the perfect configuration for me with a perfect blend of comfort, ride, and performance. I am empty 95% of the time but I need to haul around 3,000 lbs. Why has Ford dropped this configuration? Looks like the only way to get this GVW in an F150 is with the 8200 lb. package which is only available with a long box. Dumb decision. I really don't want to move up to a 250 because of the poorer mileage and rougher ride. Any suggestions???