Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Rondo Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Push the lock button twice when you lock the Rondo and the horn will beep. It is a very anemic beep.
  • Middle 70's here. Picture was taken about 30 minutes after we bought the Rondo at around 4pm. Backed it into the driveway and got the camera. I'll be making an appointment at the tint shop as soon as I can to keep the heat out of the interior. :shades:

Dakota: Thanks. :) works like a charm, at least while locking it.
  • Hi Crewzin: Congratulations on your new Rondo, Hope you like your new ride, I'm enjoying mine still getting the feel of all the features with only 200 miles & first tank of gas! Your Rondo looks real classy, what color is it, appears to be Almond Beige? Mines in Fine Silver.
  • Hello mrswiss,

Still on full tank here. Only 65 miles on the odometer. Yes it is Almond Beige. First time out in the dark just now. Everythings lit up nicely on the dash. Still getting used to all the features too. :)
  • Has anyone found any (pet) seat covers for the rondo's 3rd row seat? It is 40" wide and I can't find any covers smaller than 50" wide.
  • Not sure where you have tried, but here's two places that I find/buy things from that I don't see at the auto stores. Hope it helps.

http://www.autoanything.com

http://www.autosportcatalog.com
  • atjazzatjazz Posts: 2
    I got the LX with the 4-cylinder engine. I drove the 4 and the V-6, and I didn't see much difference between the two engines, not enough to warrant paying $1000 more for the V-6. I guess it would make sense to get the V-6 if you carry a lot of passengers, but not for me. I did not get the third row seat, because I didn't need it, and I didn't want to pay extra for it.

The LX doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the EX has, but I can live without them, especially when I think about how low my payments will be. MSRP for mine was $18,880, and they had $995 dealer markup. They dropped the markup, and I got $750 cash back and 2.9% financing, so I paid $18,130 plus tax and fees. I suppose I'm not a good haggler like some of you apparently are, but I'm happy with what I paid, and I'm happy (so far) with the vehicle.
  • skiingyacskiingyac Posts: 18
    yeah, tried them, they said they don't have covers for it and to check back in 2 months. There are some 40" covers on amazon from PPE Wholesale, but they aren't the most stylish (either camo or license plate designs) and don't have slots for seat belts.
  • crewzincrewzin Posts: 76
    Question: I did get all the bells and whistles on my EX, everything I think except for heated seats. Anyway, saw where there was a security screen available as an accessory through a catalog at the dealer (there's also two kinds of rear wings lower and upper, front end bra, mud flaps, cargo net, body kit, locking lug nuts and rear bumper protector). I asked about the security screen which is a bar that goes across the rear and has a pull-out shade that goes towards the back hatch and hides your personal belongings from prying eyes. They quoted $300 for the screen! :surprise: How the heck can they justify 300 for a bar with a screen? I'm having the windows tinted next week and I guess I'll just have the rear glass and the two opera windows done in a limosine tint (very dark) to hide things in the back.
  • medicinemanmedicineman Posts: 135
    About covering your stuff in the back, csandste mentioned a cargo cover for the Rondo on eBay. Here it is for $199.95. You can also get it from KiaPartsPeople.com for $204, but I found this site thru googling so I don't know anything about this company.

When I'm ready to buy my 7 seater, I going to ask for a cargo cover from the dealership. Problem is, I hear that the cargo cover only works in the 5 seater, because the 7 seater lacks the attachment points for the cargo cover. I'm going to ask for one, anyway, and see if they can do anything about it. Where I live, you need a cargo cover, or else you might as well put a sign on your vehicle, "Please steal my stuff." :)
    Medicineman,

Thanks. Sent a message to the Kia Parts People asking about the cover for the 7 seater or if it only fits the 5 seater.
    Glad I could help. Please keep us up to date if you hear back from them.
  • Hello,

Test drove an LX Rondo this weekend, dealer did not have an EX in stock. Loved the vehicle. Great fit & finish, nice cloth seats (and the EX has an upgraded seat too from what we were in on the LX). Since they did not have the EX in stock, I could not test to see if my iPod would work through the MP3 jack with connection cable I purchased.

Does anyone have an EX model and can tell me if iPod works through MP3 plug in? I ask b/c on Mazda board (had considered Mazda5), several owners talk about some additional and extra cost connector needed for iPod to work. Have not seen any comments here on whether iPod will work, so I figured I would ask.

Have considered the Dodge Caliber, but hit my head getting out of car due to sloping of car, so despite some of the cool interior features, I'm not as crazy about it as I was when I first saw it. Besides, probably not as solidly built car as the Kia. Once had a Dodge and at 36,100 miles my transmission had a big problem!

Thanks to anyone who replies!
  • Hello,

Does anyone know if there have there been any recalls, issues, concerns with the Kia Rondo since this is the first year it is available here in the US?

Considering purchasing this vehicle - love most everything about it! However, since I have not seen any postings about issues / concerns, I figured I would start a thread to inquire.

This is important to those of us who are considering purchasing a vehicle. If you think I'm joking, check out the Mazda5 board and you will see that I have decided against even test driving that vehicle after reading some of the challenges on that board.

Much thanks to all!
    Haven't heard back from the Kia Parts People yet. Sent them another query about the rear security screen, if it fits both the 5 and 7 seater Rondo. Meanwhile I took the Kia in and had all the window tinted. A little lighter on the front windows (driver/passenger) and darker on all the rest. I didn't have the limosine tint (completely black) on any of the windows.

• I have an EX and cannot find an MP3 jack! It does have a CD player that plays MP3 CDs - which is great. I can put 150 songs on one CD.
    The Rondo is the same as the Carens (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Carens ), and I think the 3rd generation Carens has been sold since mid-2006 or so... I don't know the exact date b/c European cars have revision #'s instead of model years. Only recall I can find on the Carens is a fuel pump issue (not a safety issue, the car just won't start). So one would think that any issues would have been sorted out already, I just expect a "normal" amount of issues from going from one generation to the next.

Also the crash test ratings came out a week or two ago (see http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/4245.html ).
  • Thanks Dakota. I actually stopped by the Kia dealership last night and learned the same thing. The "MP3" capability is only for playing MP3 CD's... I want the MP3 plug in to plug my iPod into and play through the stereo.

Needless to say, the Rondo is no longer a contender, which is too bad as it is a great vehicle. Back to the drawing board for more research...
    Heard from the Kia Parts People that the Security Cover fits both the 5 and 7 seater Rondo. The dealer is asking $300 whereas the Parts people want $204. Still a little expensive for a roll out cover but maybe worth it for piece of mind if you want any packages covered in the rear space.
    Thanks for the update, crewzin. That's good news.
    what2get07, I guess you must really love your tunes if you're dismissing the Rondo based on a lack of an MP3 plugin. One solution is to buy an FM transmitter for your iPod, which allows you to play your iPod through your car's FM radio. It's an imperfect solution--it might be hard to find an open FM channel that has minimal interference or the quality of the transmitter's signal can vary at times--but it's better than nothing. Here is one such transmitter.
    Just ordered one from the Parts People. It came in Black, Grey and Beige so of course I ordered the Beige. Total with shipping is $226.95. Thanks for that link Medicineman.
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    To dismiss a car because it doesn't have a direct interface for an iPod, well . . . I guess it's 2007, and the current crop of young car buyer's "need" their iPods! Seriously, there is an adapter that interfaces directly into the audio system that provides a direct iPod interface, and it's not a RF transmitter. I've seen it while searching for an interface for my daughter's car. If I locate it again, I will post the link here.

Suggestion, wait for the 2008 - I'll bet it has an iPod input, and a variable intermittent rear wiper, as well as other tweaks.
    Yep, on further research, there are ways of directly connecting an iPod to your stereo if your car doesn't have that magical MP3 plugin. Crutchfield's website seems pretty good at explaining how it is done (you can buy all the necessary stuff from them, of course).

How to connect an iPod to your car stereo
    Digital Drive-thru - Select your iPod, car, & stereo type and get a list of products for playing your iPod in your car
  • Thanks for your links and to everyone who has responded.

Yes, having my tunes on iPod is a critical part of my decision since I have lost all of my CD's (stolen). Yes, I could do after market, but really think if I'm going to invest $20k in a vehicle, I really think it should come with the features I desire.

Thanks again to all.
  • My wife's Buick Lucerne has a jack for MP3.
    The EX factory radio takes cassettes, you can use a cassette adapter which are like $20 and work just fine, and all people will see is a wire coming out of the tape deck, instead of a wire coming out of the aux input jack, if the stereo had one.

I decided to go with an LX, since paying $1000 more to have a cassette deck seems really dumb, and get some sort of after market adapter if I decide I really need it, which I could probably get professionally installed for like $100-200.
  • If the LX is what you wanted, good for you, but you get a lot more for the $1000 than just a cassette player. Read the options list. I test drove the LX, but they had an EX on the lot which I fell in love with, and bought immediately.
    Sure, I understand there are other things that EX has that the LX doesn't that justify the $1000 price difference, but the only thing I really wanted was the cassette deck. I just meant that from the perspective the person complaining of the Rondo's lack of some factory option for hooking up your MP3 player, you can get it w/ the EX, but it isn't worth paying $1000 if the only reason you want the EX is to be able to say you didn't need any after market stuff.

What I should have said is its dumb to pay $1000 for *factory* MP3 player "support" unless you like the other EX features, then its not dumb to get the EX.
    Well bad new on the security cover for the 7 seater Rondo. Just got this email from the KIA Parts People:

Hello Carey,

Thank you for your order. The cargo cover has arrived in to us, but
    unfortunately, the 7 seater does not have the slots in the side for the
    installation of the cover - it only fits a 5 seater. We have cancelled your
    order and apologize that we will not be able to assist you with this item.
    Please let us know if you have any future inquires.

Thanks again,
    Mike

:(
This discussion has been closed.