Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki's US Future -- Good or Dismal

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    And the normal service oil change interval for an '08 Lancer GTS is 7,500 miles. You want to double-check that for me Iluv? (irritating that Mitsubishi doesn't put free owner's manuals online to download like almost every other manufacturer does. Well, Suzuki doesn't either. ).

And I love Mitsubishi and I wouldn't say I love Suzuki but I do like them. Oh well, they do give us manuals when we buy cars from them. ;)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,013
    edited June 2011
    I like to read 'em before I buy them. You can find interesting tidbits in them. Like, while it's not a deal killer, those short 5,000 mile oil change intervals (like on Toyotas) give me pause. Honda is up to 10,000 miles (where most everyone else should be).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited June 2011
    Honda is up to 10,000 miles (where most everyone else should be).

Bingo. Right now it's been about 6,400 miles since last earl change and I'm gonna wait this one out until around 7,500 miles this time, like Mitsubishi warrants doing it to keep our 10 year and 100,000 mile Warranty's alive and well and kicking.

I'm not kidding. Well, maybe just a little. I'm...not. :blush:

"A troubled partnership of Volkswagen AG and Suzuki Motor Corp. appeared on the verge of collapse after the German company said its Japanese partner violated their agreement by agreeing to buy diesel engines from another car maker."

VW-Suzuki Partnership Nears Collapse (WSJ)

I don't even remember their being a partnership.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fezofezo Posts: 9,328
    Me neither.

Dismal.
    edited September 2011
    were going to collaborate on small cars and/or all-electrics. I did read of this partnership (it hasn't been for very long, AFAIK) but always questioned it. I questioned it because they're very peculiar bedfellows, one a smaller Japanese automaker much more known for their motorcycles and marine products, and the other a large German automaker, one that is fairly financially secure and actually shooting for #1 in the world automaker by the year 2018. It just always seemed to me to be an odd-man out relationship for Suzuki and one that they would be taken advantage of in.

I am glad to see this one dissolve, the automaker I actually admire the most out of these two is definitely Suzuki, mostly because of their midsize Kizashi sedan. Unless VW builds the 2014 Bulli minibus revival story I don't see anything on their current or future production lines that I am even remotely interested in. The Suzuki Kizashi, OTOH, I have actually test-driven and went in to negotiations to buy one. Those negotiations went sour and, looking back, I'm glad they did. But the Kizashi remains a midsize favorite of mine and one that one day I may look in to once again for purchase, I like the car so much.

• I read some time ago, vokswagon wanted to have Suzuki build small cars for them on certain overseas markets...........anyway, I am not a VW fan, and nothing has come from the merger thus far that I have seen, so maybe a split will happen between the two. I like Suzuki automobiles. I like thier engines, and think the SX4 is a neat looking car. I wish Suzuki would pump the money into advertising and really getting their name ot there. If those people at Kia can do it, Suzuki can do it as well.
  • Suzuki is not sinking financially, as the word sort of loosely flows from Edmunds' readers lips, and fingers. They alone are the Japanese kei-car-Kings. And they do build a mean small car. Kia has Peter Schreyer from Audi as their design King, and so they will because of that relationship continue to sell more and more cars and SUV's. Kia is improving so fast now that it makes my car nut head spin so fast I feel like I'm ducking from a Randy Johnson fastball.

Still, Suzuki is alive and well, but, you're right, in the USA they need to really step it up. Their lack of advertising has made them look bush-league to people here, and I know that that's not a correct image of their cars. The 2010 Suzuki Kizashi I test drove was a bonafide all-star to look at and to drive.

"A year after VW’s investment (Suzuki at the same time spent $1.1 billion to buy 2.5 percent of Volkswagen), Ferdinand Piech, chairman of VW’s management board, expressed displeasure that little of tangible value had yet come of the relationship. Tense words about the alliance came from both parties.

By this summer, the companies’ differences were expressed by Suzuki president Osamu Suzuki, who publicly bristled when VW management implied it could impose its will on the automaker. The 80-year-old Suzuki also wrote a blog that said in no uncertain terms his company had no intention in becoming subservient to VW."

Suzuki As Independent As Ever, VW Discovering (AutoObserver)

• joeyrabjoeyrab Posts: 65
    Good for them, screw VW, I never liked one automobile they produced.
    edited October 2011
    I kind of like this concept from V-Dub-L-You.

2014 VW Bulli Microbus

186 mile range and 87 mph top speed.

"....saddle up, partner!" ~ Jim Carrey, 'Dumb and Dumber'

Tales of it going to be RWD as well.

• mumuxumumuxu Posts: 16
    It's a shame that Suzuki's success in bikes is not getting transferred to auto side of their business. I almost got Kizashi for my son but then I saw that almost in 100 miles radius there was no dealer....! Their bikes are pretty fast & reliable. Hope they can put it in their autos along with some aggressive selling!
  • carthellcarthell Posts: 124
    Well, the did that: sales at any cost (there's a link to it in this specific forum that was posted this past summer). The recession hit, and the dealer base collapsed. I wish Suzuki would do more, but I don't think that it is ready to use its more profitable markets (everywhere but the US) to subsidize its operations and marketing efforts here while the recession is an ongoing concern.
  • THE WORD KAZASHI MEANS "GREAT THINGS TO COME" IN JAPANESE. I HAVE BEEN A GENERAL MANAGER OVER 8 CAR FRANCHISES (HYUNDAI,MAZDA,VOLKSWAGON,MITSUBISHI,SUZUKI,LINCOLN,FORD,FIAT) GOING ON MY 22ND YEAR. I HAVE BEEN A SUZUKI DEALER SINCE MAY OF 1988. HERE IS MY OPINION OF AMERICAN SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION'S FUTURE IN THE U.S. MARKET.

I PERSONALLY THINK THAT THEY WILL PULL OUT OF THE U.S. MARKET BY THE END OF 2013. I BELIEVE THAT THE FOLLOWING REASONS HAVE ATTRIBUTED TO WHAT WILL BE THEIR DEMISE:

1-THEY HAVE NO NEW MODELS BEING INTRODUCED TO THE U.S. FOR 2012. THE SWIFT HAS STOPPED PRODUCTION AND WILL REMAIN THAT WAY.
    2-THEY HAVE ANNOUNCED A 0 DOLLAR ADVERTISING BUDGET FOR 2012 IN THE U.S . YET THEY ARE SPENDING BILLIONS ELSEWHERE IN THE WORLD MARKET,
    3-SUZUKI WILL NO LONGER PARTICIPATE OR HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WITH JD POWERS AND ASSOCIATES AFTER DEC 2011
    4-NOT ENOUGH DEALERS TO HELP THEM SELL OR SERVICE SUZUKI VEHICLES FOR THE AMERICAN PUBLIC. THEY WERE GREATLY AFFECTED BY THE CLOSING OF MANY "LOW VOLUME " SUZUKI DEALERSHIP. CLOSINGS THAT WERE BROUGHT ON BY THE FACT THAT ANYBODY COULD OWN A SUZUKI FRANCHISE (EVEN FELONS) IN THE 1990'S
    5-ALL PARTS TO REPAIR SUZUKI VEHICLES, MOST OF WHICH ARE NOT AVAILABLE IN THE AFTER MARKET WORLD, TAKE 5 DAYS FOR DEALERS TO RECIEVE. WAY TO LONG IN TODAYS SOCIETY.
    6-AFTER BARELY RECOVERING FROM THE SAMARAI ROLLOVER ISSUE THAT ALMOST SHUT THEIR CAR DIVISION DOWN. THEY COME OUT WITH DAE-WOO KNOCKOFF VEHICLES THAT TARNISHED THIER VEHICLE LINES EVEN MORE AND IT IS VERY HARD TO OVERCOME.
    7-VOLKSWAGON AND SUZUKI WILL NEVER ACTUALLY PRODUCE AND SELL A JOINT VENTURE VEHICLE IN THE U.S. BOTH #1 TOP VEHICLE EXECUTIVES ARE WAY TO ARROGANT AND WILL CAUSE ENOUGH CONFLICT TO STOP THAT VENTURE.
    8-SUZUKI RUNS THE AMERICAN DIVISION JUST AS THEY DO THE JAPANESE DIVISION. THEY ADAPT FOR NO ONE.
    9-THOUGH THE KAZASHI AND THE SX4 ARE VERY GOOD VEHICLES AND A START FOR THE RECOVERY OF THE SUZUKI OF AMERICA SALVATION. IT IS WAY TO LITTLE, WAY TO LATE.
    10-SUZUKI HAS BEEN SUED AND LOST MORE LAWSUITS IN AMERICA THAN ANY OTHER CAR COMPANY. HOW DARE THOSE PESKY AMERICANS SUE THE MIGHTY SUZUKI FAMILY.

THESE ARE THE REASONS THAT SUZUKI WILL NO LONGER BE A VIABLE PLAYER IN THE U.S. MARKET.
    ON THAT NOTE, IF MITSUBISHI'S NEW LINE OF CUTTING EDGE ELECTRICAL VEHICLES ARE NOT OVERWHELMINGLY SUCCESSFUL. AS I THINK THEY WILL BE, THEY WILL BE THE NEXT VEHICLE LINE DROPPING FROM THE U.S. MARKET.
  • are killin' me! Ouch.

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    And yet, I would echo about 8 out of the 10 points he made, and in fact I may have been first to present them in this forum in about 5 of those cases.....

I think he's right about Mitsubishi too, but that one may take a little longer, and in both cases it does depend on how long the Japanese execs wish to drop pennies here and pennies there keeping their American networks alive. I doubt that for either it is a major corporate cost, but because North America generates so little profit for them they will never make the investment here that would be necessary to increase sales volume from the trickle it currently is.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

So much for the rumor mill that Suzuki is zapping their US ad budget. Inside Line reports that Suzuki is buying a 2012 Super Bowl ad to promote the Kizashi.

Suzuki Relies on Dogs To Pitch 2012 Kizashi in Super Bowl Ad (Inside Line)

• lost18lost18 Posts: 2
    Sorry, what? The Swift has stopped production? Since when?! AFAIK it's still being produced at 8 factories around the world. The Samurai rollover issue was a US issue only. It never came close to shutting down their car division. You do know that Suzuki is one of the largest car manufacturers in the world, don't you? The fact that they can't get their act together in the US has got to be highly embarrassing to them, and the entire leadership in the US and Japan responsible for that should be fired, but most of what you wrote is simply misguided IMO.
  • lost18lost18 Posts: 2
    Reading these threads I think a lot of people are far too narrow in their viewpoint. Mitsubishi sells much more in the US compared to Suzuki in the US, but in global terms Mitsubishi is in a far more delicate state. Suzuki is still profitable and can sustain the US operation as long as it needs to, if it wants to. The problem they have in the US, in my opinion, is that they simply don't make the cars that are popular in the US. At the very minimum, they don't important the versions that would sell better here.

Mitsubishi, on the other hand, is stuck with a capitalization problem globally and, locally, a production problem. They simply don't have any money for product development, and they've got a factory in the US that they can't unload and that is too old to switch/vary model production quickly enough.

I honestly think that Mitsubishi is more likely to leave the US market before Suzuki if for no other reason than they can't maintain losses like Suzuki does and if Suzuki were going to leave they would have done so already. After all, on sheer market numbers, Suzuki is not just an also-ran in the US, it's probably struggling to make it as a footnote for the last five years.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    I don't disagree with you - Suzuki Japan is in much better shape than Mitsu Japan is. But it is also in a tiff with VW, isn't it? Didn't I read somewhere that they could use some cash to buy out their share and end the "partnership" with VW? Imagine how much of that cash they could raise by quitting the U.S. market.....and why wouldn't they? The Kizashi, their biggest and best shot in many years BY FAR to improve sales here, has not lit the U.S. on fire, although it has sold better than the SX4 and been more critically acclaimed than older Suzuki models. If they choose to stay, I will be interested to see what else they develop for North America

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)