Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Grand Caravan Steering

Comments

• srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Ball joint or tie rod end???
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,267
    That is my thought as well. I was getting occasional "popping" sounds coming from the front end of my '98 DGC, usually over rough roads. No such sounds after replacing the ball joints. I also replaced the front struts at the same time, but I cannot figure how the strut could create such a sounds under the conditions sbradshaw described. The ball joints on mine were toast. :surprise:
  • I have the same issue with my 2007 Chrysler T&C. the dealer ship has replaced the power steering resivor and filter as mentioned by others in the forum. but the issue still persist. if you find an answer please let me know. You are not alone. it is very dangerous and annoying. No solution yet? help
  • I have a 2007 Chrysler Town and Country, similar to most of the post I have steering whine. the dealer replaced the power steering reservoir and filter, but the problem is still there. the steering also seizes/stops while driving. it will kick back in, but is dangerous during turns. I took it back and the dealer says they cant find anything. I need help soon before we crash and someone gets hurt! please respond if you have any help.

#22 in the forum has the same problems also. Please help.
  • I've had a steering whine on my 2004 town and country for more than 4 years. The wheels had no problem to turn but the sounds was becoming horrible. I bought a used power steering pump thinking the problem was coming from the pump. While I was getting ready to change the pump I saw all thoses post about the reservoir and I decided to give it a shot. I have changed the reservoir an the whining is gone. It is like driving a new car :) When I looked at the filter....it was not clogged but many debris were on it.
  • I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. If im sitting still and turn my steering wheel I get a pretty good vibration thats rather loud. When im driving down the road it acts as it should, even in turnes. I have the proper power steering fluid in the resavour. Another thing that occured at the same time is the steering wheel wont lock when I turn the key off. Anybody have any ideas?
  • in the winter time when it is below freezing i have problems with turning the steering wheel to the left only. i have only two options to resolving this problem in the morning either wait for the car to warm up or to forcefully turn the steering wheel until i hear a pop and then it starts to work normally. i only have this problem durning the winter time when it is cold. do you have any advice how to fix this problem? thanks
  • Dealer item #4743012AA.....Should cost $26.45....Chrysler offers discounts for emp's & other suppiers......Chris
  • scurvscurv Posts: 1
    05 GC, power steering leak. We can complain all we want about our leaky rack and pinions...paying $1000 ect..but I would encourage ya'll to file here. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    This should be a recall!! :mad:
  • The problem with your whiny pump is caused by the power steering hose breaking down internally and clogging the internal filter inside the reservoir. Inspect your hoses as you replace you reservoir. Some that have posted on other forums have reported finding chunks that look like black paint flakes inside.
  • chod52chod52 Posts: 1
    The fan only working on high is caused by the blower resistor. Its a $16 dollar part. It is right behind the glove box. Flex the glove box inward to move the arms out of the way and it will fold down so you can work behind it. Unplug the wires to the resistor and remove the 2 screws. Put the new one in and you are good to go, takes less than 10 minutes.
  • Hey, I am having the exact same problem with my Van. Did you find out what was causing yours?

Thanks
  • sgk1sgk1 Posts: 1
    Do you have a part number for the blower resistor, where did you get it? Will it fix both front and rear blowers?
  • I replaced the pump 3 times then rack and pinion and it started again. I read someone said the reserve tank you pour the fluid into will get clogged. It has 2 or 3 bolts that hold it on. The one beneath it is very difficult to get to and i think it was a 10mm. You dont have to completely remove that screw, just loosen so you can pull the reserve up and remove it. Once I removed the tank I cleaned it with brake cleaner. When I put it back and refilled it, it sounded worse than before. I went back the next day and it was quiet as a mouse. I guess it took a while for the fluid to fill the lines and the air bubbles to go away but it was fine since. I read an article that the line in the back needed to be replaced with a larger one. I probably never needed to replace the pump or rack. It was just starving for fluid.
  • I don't have the part number but remove the door on the glove box. You can see where the blower plugs into the resistor. It is attached to the dash be only 2 screws. My plug had gotten so hot it had melted to the resistor and didnt want to come out. I had smelled a "burning wire" smell for months before it finally quit. It takes about 3 minutes to install but I'm sure they can find a number on it at the part store. I think I ordered mine from Auto Zone b/c not everyone can get them. My rear blower has never given me trouble so I dont think thats your problem if you are having trouble with it too. Odd that they both would go out. Did you check your fuses?
  • bobv7bobv7 Posts: 1
    I have a 06 DGC. Like many others I have the whine. In addition, there is fluid leaking from the rack & pinion boot. Does this mean I need to change the rack and pinion? What is under the boot?

Thanks in advance...
    Underneath the boot on each side is a plastic or thick rubber seal that keeps the high pressure power steering fluid inside the rack. One or both of these seals are leaking, if you are seeing fluid leak out of the boot.

You can live with it for a while - just keep adding PS fluid - depending on how much it's leaking. But eventually, it will be leaking so bad you have to replace it.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,267
    The rack is not too terrible in terms of expense - probably about $250 - but the work itself is a real pain in the rear..... :cry:
  • Hi i just bought the Dodge Caravan with the same problem, i am wondering is this problem fixed with your van, from where you fixed that and how much it costs. thanks
    Yes, I know. I replaced the rack on my '87 BMW 4 or 5 years ago.

With that car though, being pretty well balanced front to rear, I was able to drive it with the power steering pump disconnected (hose removed). On the road it was fine, but parking required some arm strength - like back in the old days :P . I don't think I would do that with any minivan!