Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Radiator and Cooling Questions

Comments

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Heater hose.
  • doesnt seem to be leaking by the heater hoses that goes to the heater core if thats what you meant..got a better look today..seem to be coming in and all around the tranny bell housing..another post told me the block heater near the oil filter housing..dont have a block heater..are the freeze plugs on the block behind the bell housing? meaning the tranny has to come out?
    thanks
    There are two block drain plugs toward the left and right rear of the block that you could check. These are the plugs used when draining coolant from the block or to back flush.
  • I have a 1999 Yukon 2WD with the 5.7 lt engine. There is cooloant leaking out of the intake manifold just behind the alternator. It is coming out of the gasket where the manifold mounts to the engine block. How hard of a project am I getting myself into? I am fairly competant and have worked on a lot of engines in the past when I used to buy/sell used cars. That was 15 years ago and now it looks very complicated. Could I be biting off more than i can chew? Are there any big "pit falls" I need to be aware of? I will not do it myslef if I have to disconnect A/C lines.
    Thank you!
  • whantonwhanton Posts: 1
    I have no pressure at the expasion tank lid after driving till temp gauge reaches normal reading. I had to add about 3 quarts of Dex Coolant the other day. The level is still the same. I can't find any trace of a leak except slight smell at exhaust pipe. What are the pills someone mentioned sold by GM to stop leak? I don't want to pull intake gasket then both heads.
  • The truck is a 5.7L 2WD with only 137K on it and I hope to keep it forever.

I recently disconnected and bypassed the oil cooler hoses from the radiator while troubleshooting a curious high oil pressure indication. When I went to reconnect the hoses I found the lower fitting on the radiator stripped (the radiator was replaced several years ago, too late to raise a warranty/installation issue).

The nut that threads into the radiator is fine.

My question is...is the female thread in the radiator an insert, sort of like a helicoil, or is the thread milled into the radiator body?

I'd really prefer to not have to put in another new radiator.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • I have a 1999 Sierra,small block v-8.
    For several months,I have been smelling antifreeze,ever now and then seeing a small amount on the driveway.
    Just the other day saw a leak from the heater core area by the hoses.
    Not the hoses;but a small 90 ell shaped rubber hose.I think maybe a drain to release coolant mix if the heater core was leaking.
    Has anyone seen this?Is there a way to stop a small leak?
    Maybe some type of stop leak?
  • pwryanpwryan Posts: 1
    I have an '04 Silverado 5.3L with the same coolant leak mentioned in the forums. Pressure testing, both at cool and hot, revealed nothing. No visible leaks. Not a huge loss. The thought was a seeping head gasket. Coolant would just burn before showing up on the ground. Was going to try the GM pills referenced in the forums but cannot find anyplace to add them to the radiator. Any suggestions?
    Add them to the recovery tank. Not while the engine is hot though as it's under pressure.
  • I have the same problem with the '04 Chevy Silverado 5.3L. Where is the recovery tank located? and you add them when the truck is turned off? Thanks.
    The recovery tank should be located on the passenger side under the hood against the fender. Fill both the tank and the radiator when cold, start it up and allow it to reach running temperature so that the thermostat opens.
  • huerohuero Posts: 5
    I HAVE A 95 SIERRA AND I SEEM TO BE LOSING COOLANT SAW AROUND THERMOSTAT AND REPLACED IT BUT STILL LOSING COOLANT NO BIG PUDDLES ARE ANYTHING RESERVE IS EVEN EMPTY ABOUT A DAY SO YOU WOULD THINK I WOULD SEE SOMETHING ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE.
  • I drive a 2004 GMC Sierra. I have a small coolant leak that looks like it is coming from the water pump. Is there anything I can do without replacing it?
    You could try a stop leak type of product that you can find at the auto parts store. I've heard black pepper works well too. At most though these will be temporary fixes. Eventually you will have to replace the water pump.
  • opc167opc167 Posts: 14
    Need some help trouble-shooting. Every 400/500 miles I have to add coolant.

Oil clean.
    No presure in Reservoir to suspect head leak.

I added stop leak yesterday. I haven't taken the top cover off, but does this model have a radiator cap and should I flush it, add treatment and stopleak again or should I have a preasure test done on it? I don't know what to do at this point to trouble-shoot. It's not running hot at all. Someone suggested it may be evaperating but how can you tell? HELP.
  • hahhhahh Posts: 1
    I need to replace the thermostat on my 1995 GMC Sierra PU. Is the thermostat located on the top of the engine where the radiator hose connects to engine block?

I haven't had to replace a thermostat on any vehicle for many years. The vehicles I used to work on had the thermostat on top and were easily identifide.

Just looking for a little direction.
    Thanks
  • I've got an 01 Silverado with the 5.3 and can smell antifreeze and am loosing a very small amount and like most others here - I have not been able to find the leak - yet. I went to our local GM dealer Parts Dept and inquired about the supposed "GM Magic Pills." The parts guy believes the way I do. Don't put that junk (any stop leak) in your cooling system as it will plug up the radiator and heater core and cause overheating problems down the line. A radiator repair shop owner told me the same thing. Fix the leak properly - once you find it. I am just beginning to check my system out. I've pulled all of the spark plugs out and there is no visible trace on the plugs that antifreeze is getting into the cylinders. Good news so far... I will run a compression test on it tomorrow. I bought a new water pump and serpentine belt (about $200 at O'Reilly's) and plan to install them. The GM Parts guy told me that some of the water pump gaskets that came out (on some years) from the factory were faulty and will start leaking in time. Not sure exactly what years. I should have asked. Even if it's not the water pump or it's gaskets, my Silverado is due for a new pump anyway. It's got close to 140,000 miles on it and the pump has never been replaced. It surely couldn't have lasted much longer. Same with the serpentine belt... It has cracks at 140 K. So time to replace it too. I'm also replacing the spark plugs and the plug wires. I ran a resistance test on two of the wires. One tested fine and the other has HIGH resistance. One bad one spoiled the whole barrel... I will up-date here - if and when I find where my antifreeze leak is/was. Good luck to all of the rest of you who are having the same problem with your Silverado 5.3. Whatever I find still beats driving a Dodge... LOL

tomcatn
  • jeb1870jeb1870 Posts: 1
    has anybody figured out were the anti freeze goes??I have an 04 with the 5.3 and cant find the leak??
  • I have a 98 GMC Seirra 1/2 ton 4x4. How do I remove the fan clutch/fan from the water pump?